Great feeling getting colour on the car makes you feel it's going forward. :D

Cheers
Col.
Pog
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 1969 Super 'Betty'

Re: EHK 744G - 1969 Super

Post by Pog »

I'm using spray cans. I know I know, but I just don't have space for a compressor. But I'm confident with aerosols and just like a proper gun, you have to be patient with your prep and be careful with your technique.

I've found that one key thing that makes a difference in the finish from a spray can is the quality of the nozzle. I use these: https://www.buzzweld.co.uk/hvlp-style-n ... e-fan.html which gives you a really wide fan just like a gun, allowing for proper 50/50 overlap during passes.

Pog
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

Nowt wrong with spray cans, Pog. I did my entire car with them : professional grades in 2 pack from a proper automotive paint supplier mind, but rattle cans nevertheless. And it won 1st in Class first time out in 2009 ! Like you say : take your time and all will be well, plus you can use the underside for "practice-makes-perfect" self training :D

Andy G.
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
Pog

Post by Pog »

Oh wow I had no idea, Stan looks great too! How is the paint holding up after 10+ years?

I see the benefits but I'd be way too nervous to use 2 pack where I am. Single garage surrounded by neighbours on 3 sides who all have kids and pets running about their gardens.

I'm using cellulose, much safer at home plus it keeps the whole period correct thing.

Pog
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Generally OK, to be honest. There are a few crazed patches in the clear lacquer, not visible from a distance but there when close up. Probably me trying to put too many coats on in a day, and not allowing for proper flashing-off of the solvents ! At some stage it will get a fine rub over and a re-lacquer to remove these patches.

Andy G. Image Stan
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 »

I was wondering if you were going to say aerosol, so thanks for the pointer on the spray head.
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
Bobbycham
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Bobbycham »

Pog wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 am
Hi all,

I've started making headway on the actual shell. I signed up to the BOC argoshield light hobby offer (thanks Scott), what a difference it's made! The first bit I wanted to tackle was the spare wheel well. I thought there was a rust hole here, but once cleaned revealed solid metal, just bashed a bit.

ImageIMG_20191222_124025 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Pog
Just seen this and to be honest , The picture reminded me of the picture Malcolm posted not long ago.
All the best for your recovery Malcolm.

Well done Pog , looking good . :)

Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
Grahame59
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Grahame59 »

Bobbycham wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 7:40 am
Pog wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:41 am
Hi all,

I've started making headway on the actual shell. I signed up to the BOC argoshield light hobby offer (thanks Scott), what a difference it's made! The first bit I wanted to tackle was the spare wheel well. I thought there was a rust hole here, but once cleaned revealed solid metal, just bashed a bit.

ImageIMG_20191222_124025 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Pog
Just seen this and to be honest , The picture reminded me of the picture Malcolm posted not long ago.
All the best for your recovery Malcolm.

Well done Pog , looking good . :)

Bob Imp005
There is actually a drain hole there. It looks like someone has just enlarged it a bit in the past.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun »

Folk jack the car up with a trolley jack just there and then wonder why it's all pushed in and dented.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Peter
Are you suggesting a strengthening mod for Dave :lol:

Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer »

Grahame59 wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 8:52 am
There is actually a drain hole there. It looks like someone has just enlarged it a bit in the past.
The hole in Malcolms head is a drain hole? :o Is it for when he's full of cider? 😉
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Pog

Post by Pog »

Indeed, it does look a bit more like a drain hole again now! Malc has sorted me out with some suspension bits ready for when I start to bolt things back together. Sounds like he's doing okay.

Next job I want to tackle is the engine bay. So the wire wheel came back out to strip it back to bare metal before I could paint. No underseal this time, so much quicker and less messy progress was made! Just took me a few hours.

ImageIMG_20200502_162826 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200502_162438 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Amazing to see the original battery tray is still intact! Some surface pitting was uncovered, but that was fully expected. These bits are too fiddly to reach with the wire wheel, so I used deox gel to get into all those hard to reach places.

ImageIMG_20200502_171045 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Not going to lie, covering a car with cling film was one of the stranger things I've done! But hopefully by tomorrow, I'll be left with clean metal ready for paint. I'll keep you posted.

Pog
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

OOHH !
I see you've got a lift & tilt , brilliant bit of kit , did you modify yours at all ?
l made the middle width narrower so l could roll the car over it in garage , only drawback l've found is you have to roll it in from side of car. Might get around to see if l can modify that .
Malcolm sorted my new springs , pretty dam QUICK l must say , same with Moose supplying the dampers , had good week on ebay getting the remains of funds to reimburse them.

Bob Imp005
Pog

Post by Pog »

Sure have! Got it so I could lift the car onto the rotisserie stands, had to be something that lifted the whole car together. It felt like a silly expenditure but it's one of the best things I've got for this project. Using a drill it goes up and down in seconds. Plus no doubt it will prove super useful for future maintenance like bleeding brakes etc. Got mine from a company called Automotech and is the fixed width version. What a great idea so you can roll the car over it! You're right, a single garage is the only drawback to using it, a double is really needed so you can slide it out and under. I simply saved the wood from the crate it came in to use it as a ramp to get the car over the lift!

Pog
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

NICE ONE !!! bit of lateral thinking there, yes packing case was worth probably half the cost of unit :lol:

I bought it to fit pipework etc down tunnel , didn't fancy getting under car on axle stands and ramps , as you say easy to raise and lower ,Pets on driveway resting on rear wheels at the moment , just chasing up some more fixings at the moment
IMG_20200411_152158436_HDR.jpg
Don't have a strong enough drill to raise car so using the crank handle but going down is no problem, should be of benefit being able to get whole of car off the ground should the need arise while servicing. Should be great help when fitting or removing engine.

Bob Imp005
Pog

Post by Pog »

My drill's only a Ryobi 18V cordless job, nowt fancy, and it copes alright.

So the deox gel needed 2 soaks to do a proper job - here's leaving it for 1 night:

ImageIMG_20200503_134924 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Definitely an improvement, but here's a tip for anyone that wants to use this stuff - don't be sparing with it! I noticed after my first attempt that places where the gel was thicker was coming out cleaner, so it clearly needs enough gel covering the surface to do its job properly. I decided to give it another soak, this time really slapping it on and it came out much better:

ImageIMG_20200504_155832 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

A final go with the wire brush on the drill and I was happy, so I prepped the bay with an initial degreasing, scuffed up the metal so the paint had a proper key, followed by a second thorough clean. I'm starting to see why painting cars really is only 5% painting! All masked up and I was ready for primer:

ImageIMG_20200504_162533 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200504_204055 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200504_204109 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

The whole bay is getting the same treatment as the underside. The zinc primer needs a few days before I can apply any further coatings, so the seam sealer will have to wait. I suppose I should tackle the front luggage compartment while this is curing. It's the job I'm most not looking forward to, there's just so many nooks and crevices to try and get fully! Any tips?

ImageIMG_20200504_204249 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Pog
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

I just stripped it off with industrial aircraft paint remover then washed it all off with brake cleaner and thinners, it's a bit back breaking work.
Pog

Post by Pog »

Hi guys,

Another week in lockdown and I've made some more good progress. Never started on the luggage compartment, will get to that soon, instead I prepped a couple of things so they're ready for when I start bolting on the suspension. First the kingpins/stub axles got a clean and lick of paint:

ImageIMG_20200506_192214 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

The following day I tackled the steering rack and reconditioned that:

ImageIMG_20200507_114352 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Cleaned, changed the rubber gaiters (the central rubber is a right pain to fit isn't it!), filled with new oil (took Dave Lane's excellent advice of the homemade goop) and upgraded to fully adjustable track rods for both sides. Dead chuffed, looks really smart:

ImageIMG_20200507_141511 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

By the next day the primer in the engine bay was ready for the next step, seam sealer:

ImageIMG_20200508_115456 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Followed by stone chip. I know this isn't really necessary here in the engine bay, but I decided to add this mainly for 2 reasons - the extra sound dampening and then there's the added durability, not just from stones being flung up but from any spanner knocks when working on the engine (not that I want to spend much time doing so, but you know what I mean)

ImageIMG_20200509_175307 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200509_175318 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

The stone chip comes with 2 nozzles for either a coarse or fine finish. I used the coarse nozzle for the underside and wheel arches to try and copy the original underseal, but as the paint in the engine bay is a bit more visible I went for the fine finish here. The colour went on this morning and I'm delighted! That's one more job done and one step closer to being back on the road!

ImageIMG_20200510_113510 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200510_113525 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Pog
Pog

Post by Pog »

Hi all,

With the engine bay all done, time to tackle the front luggage bay. So back out with the grinder and wire wheel to strip it back to bare metal like I'd done everywhere else. Plenty of nooks here, so I utilised smaller wire brushes on the cordless drill to get into all the hard to reach places. Took my time but after a couple of afternoons and plenty of grazed fingers later I got to a point I was happy. No nasty surprises, which was great, good sound metal underneath and previous repairs to the front valance were tidy enough:

ImageIMG_20200514_150010 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Usual prep before paint and I've now got the whole bay in 2 coats of primer:

ImageIMG_20200515_123032 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Seam sealer is next just to be safe although I won't be using the stone chip like I have been as there's no point here. Instead I'll use some high build primer just to help smooth out bay in general before finishing with the colour. Watch this space!

Pog
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

👍🏽

Andy G
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

EXCELLENT WORK THERE :D :D :D

Should hope you're satisfied with how much you've done .
Lovely job .
Eagerly await next installment.

Bob Imp005
Pog

Post by Pog »

Thanks Bob! Yeh I'm delighted with the progress, seems this lockdown was good for one thing - I'd easily still be removing underseal for months otherwise!

Well here's the next instalment - seam sealed the bay like I said, followed by a couple coats of high build filler primer:

ImageIMG_20200520_143917 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

Definitely did a good job of smoothing it out, the turreted sections look way better than they did. And with that it was time for colour:

ImageIMG_20200520_174903 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

I'm nearing the point where there's more new paint on the car than old! Really coming along nicely. Next job is the interior, starting with the roof. I thought removing the underseal was a bad job, but 50yr old sound deadening adhesive wasn't very pleasant either!

ImageIMG_20200521_140718 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

I thought poly disc on the grinder would shift it, which it did to an extent, but it merely heated up the glue and it went literally everywhere :roll: so I just resorted to sticky label remover and plenty of hot soapy water which did the trick. I'd literally be lost without this rotisserie:

ImageIMG_20200521_170350 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

From there I could start to prep it like I have done everywhere else so far by taking it back to bare metal:

ImageIMG_20200522_144131 by Godfrey Hatton, on Flickr

It's interesting to see that not everywhere got a coat of top colour from the factory. What's people's opinions when redoing this? Do I copy the factory and only paint up to the edges or do a proper job with primer, high build and colour everywhere? I kept the original sound deadening material as I want to re-use it so the headlining will look original. What can I use for a replacement adhesive?

Pog
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Just epoxy etch prime it that's probably enough, and when you put the insulation back use a contact glue that resists higher temperatures especially if the final car colour is dark the roof gets extremely hot in the sun that can soften normal glue.

Return to “Readers Cars”