A Californian drying out in South Africa

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

African Imp
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Re: A Californian drying out in South Africa

Post by African Imp » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:22 am

The paint arrived as expected, I named it New Red when I chose the colour and some five years back :D

A half litre arrived, which was what was ordered, I was charged for one litre and I got a half litre, we have sorted that out as a credit or the missing half litre?

Price was R451 plus 15% vat, about R520 or 27.00 pounds a litre, how does that compare with UK prices for DK paints?
Attachments
New Red.JPG
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:33 am

SAPO had 1/2 to touch up their post van :lol:
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:29 am

This mornings drive to put some more miles ( kilometers ) onto the odometer has hit a problem, we will have rain!
As my windows still are not sealed I will end up with wet carpets if I try driving in the rain.

A rare event out here, the Day Zero was quite close two years back, zero was the taps were about to run dry and all drinking water would be supplied from road tankers, the day never actually arrived but we all think rather differently now when it rains :D

The picture is before the rain arrived, the paint shade is what I call new red, I applied the paint about five years back, I cannot claim that its a perfect job but its ok by me.
Attachments
Old new red.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:51 pm

The Imps water pump seems to either never give bother or the exact opposite, which is why I keep a few here that are fully assembled, that includes the metal mounting frames with the red cowl and yellow fan.

Some months back the pump that I had fitted started to drip coolant, its the Caltex Extended Life type, I have used that product since the car came back which is five years now and without any issue.

The pump that I refitted had a service note with it, which is the only way I will ever remember what went into the pumps rebuild, as they are always an assembly of used and new parts out here.

This one had an " As New " impeller and new bearings as they are easy to source here.

The seals came from a pump that I had stripped and were the original type with the rubber seal backer, we do not get them here, only with a metal case which has to be bonded into the water pump alloy halves with silicon sealant, which works just as well as the rubber backed types.

The used seals looked fine but I expected they would require some miles use before they bedded in and sealed to the metal faces on the impeller, I was right too, some small drops of coolant which as time went by became less and less.

They must have sealed now as I have not put any extra coolant in the radiator for some while :)

The radiator is a really early one which has the forward facing nipple on the lower left hand side near the side wing, serviced at Radiator King its worked well and the water temperature indicator stays in the mid section of white in the gauge.

I have shown an Imp impeller, its a plastic one and I cannot find out where it is from, any ideas?

On a new shaft and one that was part of a job lot that Eric Wells had when I rebuilt his Imp at the end of last year.
I fitted the plastic impeller to a spare body for him and supplied a rebuilt one to try with stainless steel washers fitted to take the carbon seal, its worked fine and looks good for future water pump re builds.
Attachments
Plastic impeller.JPG
Plastic impeller.JPG (34.91 KiB) Viewed 545 times
IMG_5896.JPG
IMG_5896.JPG (84.25 KiB) Viewed 588 times
Last edited by African Imp on Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:01 am

How long will a Mild steel four branch exhaust manifold last?

Mine came from Hartwell in Bournemouth about twenty five years back, its seen years and years of use on Jeans Singer Chamois and is now on the Californian.

Seems fine to me but as I have been asked to supply some I will also have a spare made for myself.

The Hartwell price list that I have priced them at 20.00 pounds each circa September 1995, they are more expensive today?

An ex Hartwell employee told me who made the manifolds, which were a Hartwell design.
Attachments
IMG_5903.JPG
IMG_5903.JPG (126.77 KiB) Viewed 561 times
Hartwell 4 branch exhaust manifold painted.jpg
Hartwell 4 branch exhaust manifold painted.jpg (51.52 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Four branch Imp exhaust, Hartwell made.jpg
Four branch Imp exhaust, Hartwell made.jpg (55.26 KiB) Viewed 563 times
Last edited by African Imp on Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:06 am

How fast if fast for an Imp Sport type engine?

I guess that will depend on a great deal of options but right now with the larger 916cc capacity and the Hartwell exhaust manifold I can say that in my case quite fast enough for me for now.

This morning I found an open stretch of road and moving gears from second to third gear using about 6500rm I was feeling a pleasant thump in my back as the next gear took up.

For me this is a nice reward for the works done on the car and its engine over the past few years.

The Hepolite Powermax 0.060" sized pistons were supplied by Bob of The Imp Club spares department, I placed the order from my Hout Bay home and collected them at the Wirral National meeting, they were 120 pounds the set back then?
Attachments
916cc Imp engine 018.JPG
916cc Imp engine 018.JPG (32.48 KiB) Viewed 557 times
Sport 916cc engine.JPG
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:47 pm

The steel big bore manifolds last about 3 years in daily use before they start to perforate on the bend behind the rear wheel, this is because of the dirt and salt in winter being thrown at it, and considering how much they cost thats rubbish, you're far better having, and they're cheaper, one of Frank's stainless now fit and forget
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:21 pm

The Nun wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:47 pm
The steel big bore manifolds last about 3 years in daily use before they start to perforate on the bend behind the rear wheel, this is because of the dirt and salt in winter being thrown at it, and considering how much they cost thats rubbish, you're far better having, and they're cheaper, one of Frank's stainless now fit and forget
Those of a certain age ( you and myself ) will know that steel grades are highly compromised today ( remember Lancia Cars?) the grade of steel used by Hartwell twenty five years back was probably a pure British Steel made grade, what is used today can be a mix of new and scrap steel?

I will be asking this and other questions next week :)
Last edited by African Imp on Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:00 am

With the engine being to right of center to ease the load on the drive couplers the cooling fan was then offset from the radiator.

I was able to ease that a little yesterday by slacking off the three radiator mount bolts, then sliding the radiator towards the engine.
Attachments
IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG (58.85 KiB) Viewed 525 times
IMG_1150.JPG
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:15 am

still miles out though
Formally known as " Noddy "
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:19 am

And the paints scratched now as well. :?
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:21 am

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:15 am
still miles out though
Its better in this picture?
Attachments
IMG_1156.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:57 am

The Nun wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:19 am
And the paints scratched now as well. :?
You caught me out there, excepting on inspection I see that it is actually a reflection of light :)

When I repaint the engine cover I can attend to the few paint touch ups required then.
Attachments
IMG_1158.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:42 am

The company that I buy auto paints from supplied me with a tube of whats called P 980 1K Fine Filler to do small repairs, there is no need for a hardener with this product
It should be easier and faster to apply, has anyone else tried it?
Attachments
IMG_5906.JPG
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:48 am

Tried a similar thing for diecast models to fill imperfections it's available in very small tubes so no need to buy loads as it goes off soon once opened, have a look around your local model shop there's a lot of useful bits like small screws for trim or instrument repairs that are hard to find in larger retail outlets
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:48 am

I note that the UK may move to E10 fuel soon?

From a web page on Ethanol:

Ethanol attacks certain materials. Nitrile rubbers that were used in older vehicles for oil-seals, fuel lines, petrol tap and cap gaskets etc are all adversely affected by Ethanol. For this reason most engine builders now recommend the use of Viton oilseals in an engine. Ethanol also attacks some sorts of fibreglass resin and many of the older types of sealer used to line rusty fuel tanks. An increase in ethanol content is likely to increase problems with these parts in older vehicles.

For use in the RSA:

I think we use the E5 grade here in South Africa which has already melted fuel lines and on the new Solex 24mm that I fitted to the 998cc Imp that belongs to InfraZA , the link pipe from the fuel bowl to the carb melted in less than a half hour on that carb, which was new.

My twin CD 125 Strombergs have been fitted with Viton O rings and with no issues.

Note, the standard nitrile diaphragms were retained, they have not been a problem so far.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Some months back a chap named Dick from the English West country phoned and told me that he had some Hillman Imp Hepolite Apex piston rings for me, he also had a standard size piston and rings.

He arrived to day and presented the parts to me plus a very used but original WSM141 and a book on the Imp by CJ Beddall-Smith which I have not seen before?

What to do with them? they would of course fit the original 875cc engine that came out of my car, wear in the bores and on the piston faces would lessen the effect of new rings so I expect they need to find a new home?

A packers slip number says JJ/M 9 72 so I expect the date indicated would be September 1972 which was when Dick had his Hillman Imp.
Attachments
Hepolite std rings and piston.JPG
Hepolite std rings and piston.JPG (96.63 KiB) Viewed 335 times
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:53 am

The arrival of Dick in his Series 2 landrover allowed him to view the Imp Californian, he had not sat in an Imp since 1974 he told me, as that was when he had sold his Imp here in the Cape Town area.

The yellow wing of a kids toy car is a Series 2 Toylander.
Attachments
IMG_1334.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:29 am

Dick had a very original and early WSM 141, the pages only start at number 9 so I can not find its publication date.

The term ' Used ' comes to mind?

The last one like this that I owned was back in 1969?
Attachments
WSM141 original.JPG
WSM141 original.JPG (106.91 KiB) Viewed 298 times
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:46 pm

It seems that I have opened a garage?
I have not worked out how to enter it or the set of wheels that are parked outside ( I have seen them before?)
Attachments
90489720_10158138674431306_6179138623774916608_o.jpg
90489720_10158138674431306_6179138623774916608_o.jpg (12.9 KiB) Viewed 230 times
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:52 am

A blue wire fits where?

My stock of suitable wires contains one that has cable ends which said to me it was from a Hillman Imp Wire Loom?

So where would it fit I was asking myself?

From what I can see in the Imps wiring diagram, early Mk1 to Californian it is only found in one place/

It fits to number 4 terminal on the lighting switch and to the stalk control for the lights on the dashboard pod.

This one will now be kept with the selection of switches I have.
Attachments
Imp blue wire to light switch.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:03 am

Impressions magazine March 2020 has a really nice story written by Paul Jennings about his Hartwell Group Two Imp Sport recreation.

In it he mentioned a leak from a hose and that the Mikalor clamp required tightening.

This name had me searching the WWW to discover this new type of clamp, I was disapointed to find that it is in fact a standard hose clamp such as Gates or many other companies make.

I then started looking to try and discover other clamps that are neater and do not have the tail that a standard hose clamp has which often cuts your fingers or arm as you reach into the engine bay.

I found a sol called Racing Clamp, has anyone used them?
Attachments
Racing clamp.jpg
Racing clamp.jpg (27.75 KiB) Viewed 204 times
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:43 am

After my Kenwood 450 and Yaesu 7700 receivers came back to life after an application of CRC switch cleaning fluid I have tried an application of the same on some Lucas switches that had issues.

They are fine now :D
Attachments
CRC switch  contact cleaner.JPG
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:09 am

You might not get much response now Roy from anyone for 3 months because weve been told to socially distance ourselves from everyone else.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:20 am

The Nun wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:09 am
You might not get much response now Roy from anyone for 3 months because weve been told to socially distance ourselves from everyone else.
Peter, yes I understand, as of Thursday next at 24.00 hours this country will be in a twenty one day lock down, Jean and I have already stocked up food wise, I have more than enough Imp parts still to restore, so we can keep ourselves to ourselves and be busy too?

I am trying to find a diagram for the original Lucas 2 ST solenoid, as I have three here that were either not working or worked intermitantly.

One I drilled a small hole in an sprayed the magic spray inside, it now works.

The hole was drilled near the button end but I think there may be a spring in there?

I need to drill where I can spray clean the contacts, any idea where I can find a sectioned drawing?
Attachments
IMG_1395.JPG
IMG_1395.JPG (65.18 KiB) Viewed 166 times
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 am

Can't find a sectional drawing through that type either, they are still available new so I suppose folk just don't bother repairing them for what they are.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:24 am

The Nun wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 am
Can't find a sectional drawing through that type either, they are still available new so I suppose folk just don't bother repairing them for what they are.
I asked Noddy first, he said he just dumps them when faulty?

I have been trying cleaning with xylene, its used in all sorts of stuff and seems to be plastic safe?

Perhaps a thin solution of xleyne and new engine oil can be made as a bath soaking mix ?
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 pm

The Nun wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 am
Peter,

I did test drill one solenoid, the hole on the right goes into plastic, the hole on the left possibly has a spring in it? I am concerned about drilling into the coil< there is not a lot of room left to drill now?
Attachments
IMG_5976.JPG
IMG_5976.JPG (70.84 KiB) Viewed 150 times
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:30 pm

If you've 3 of them why not sacrifice the worst one of the three and cut it open? You aren't likely to need 3 in reserve are you?
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 pm

I thought that the welded type of hose clamp that you show IS commonly known as a Mikalor type? (As opposed to a standard worm drive clip).
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:21 am

oli wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:58 pm
I thought that the welded type of hose clamp that you show IS commonly known as a Mikalor type? (As opposed to a standard worm drive clip).
Oli, when I put the name Mikalor into Google what I saw was the standard type hose clamp but with red plastic protector ends, I did not see the so called racing clamp.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:25 am

As a safe cleaner xylene works for me!

I started by cleaning the switch toggles, then the control stalks, now I have done an over night soak test with some spare switches.

Note that the black marker pen ink is still there.

My idea now is to make a xylene / oil solution ( very little) to allow me to soak switches and the like.
Attachments
IMG_5977.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:29 am

The Nun wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:30 pm
If you've 3 of them why not sacrifice the worst one of the three and cut it open? You aren't likely to need 3 in reserve are you?
Peter, your correct, I will remove the saddle clamp by drilling out the three spot welds then ask Peter the engineer I work with to turn off the end of the body which was formed and shaped over to contain the solenoid contents.

I can then slide the contents out without damaging them.
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:41 am

Roy, if you type in 'Jubilee' clip, it will probably just show a generic worm drive clip too.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:53 am

Five years ago I handed two Imp sunvisors to Noel the auto trimmer but I had not painted them, looking at the mounts a few days back I realised that I should have.

I hand stripped them with 60 grit paper and painted them with black DTM paint.

They look far better now :D

I must clean that chalk mark off ?
Attachments
IMG_5974.JPG
Closer.JPG
IMG_5959.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:46 am

Some time back I toyed with the idea of a small driving video using my Canon G1X digital camera, which while I have owned it a few years now, I have never tried the video format out for more than a very short time.

How to mount the camera ?

I was going to use the ashtray and bolt into the hinged lid, I even drilled one out but I never did do the video.

Last night I realised that if I used my late dads tripod with its adjustable legs and a shock cord, my dads also, I can mount the camera where I need it.

Would it work? I have just driven around the local estate and did a four minute video, the results are remarkable, very little camera shake, in fact the view resembles what the eye sees.

Great results and I can do a decent video of the drive along the coastal road later, as tonight at midnight we are into a 21 day lock down, so no more driving for the period :(
Attachments
IMG_5983.JPG
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:57 am

Couldn't be any worse than the completely krap camera work we get on some of our home grown dramas on TV over here. Inspired (if that's the appropriate term) by the film the Blair Witch Project. Its just plain awful at times and almost unwatchable. Supposed to add realism :evil:

Sorry to steal the thread - rant over.

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:17 am

617sqn wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:57 am
Couldn't be any worse than the completely krap camera work we get on some of our home grown dramas on TV over here. Inspired (if that's the appropriate term) by the film the Blair Witch Project. Its just plain awful at times and almost unwatchable. Supposed to add realism :evil:

Sorry to steal the thread - rant over.

Andy G
As mentioned this home video thing is new to me, I normally only take single images.

The memory card I used for the road test is an 8GB sized one, how long would that last? I had no idea but I was able to film from Hout Bay to Bakoven near Camps Bay and back to Hout Bay, so about fifteen minutes? ( it was 16.30 mins )

In full screen the image quality drops, It may view better on the desk top PC, I will check this later.

For me and for a first attempt I have a 100% success, so my Imp driving fix for the next three weeks !

The car drives super well, there is no roll and the audio is ok if not very loud.

Note, the image on the full sized desk top PC is a lot better, its sharper and the image clearer, it is still a home movie but for my purpose its fine.

What is pleasing is there is no camera shake at all, having the front edge of the cars bonnet in the frame helped with understanding the driving and speed.
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:37 pm

This is what most people refer to a mikalor clamp as https://www.rallynuts.com/general-prepa ... lamps.html but they also make pipe clamps that look just like what most people refer to as jubilee clips https://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/ who also make a clamp that looks like a mikalor.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
African Imp

Post by African Imp » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:37 am

moose wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:37 pm
This is what most people refer to a mikalor clamp as https://www.rallynuts.com/general-prepa ... lamps.html but they also make pipe clamps that look just like what most people refer to as jubilee clips https://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/ who also make a clamp that looks like a mikalor.
Thanks!
Its anyone guess what I will find here?

Here in Cape Town, South Africa, Cape Town Rubber do stock clamps other than the jubilee type so I will ask them, that will be in three or four weeks time as today is day one of this nations 21 day virus lock down. Imp027