A new South African Imp

African Imp
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Re: A new South African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Rob wanted an easy to drive Hillman Imp that reminded him of when he drove an Imp in his youth, I think he got what he wanted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pbergs
Car Model: stilletto

Post by pbergs »

Love the colour and the finish on the dash looks superb. Nice job.
InfraZA
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by InfraZA »

My thanks to Roy (African Imp) for posting the story and photos of my car on the Forum (and extracts of some of my e-mails to him).

I noted the queries and comment regarding the car's spec and trim, so here are the definitive answers. As Roy mentioned, I wanted an easy to drive car, as comfortable as practicable, and as safe as reasonably possible, given today's more congested traffic conditions compared to back in the 1960's. Having restored a few vehicles to "as-new" condition myself in the past (5 x Steyr-Puch Haflingers, 1 x Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer, 2 x Fiat X1/9 1300 Series Speciale, an Amphicat (amphibious 6x6) and a Honda 500 GL Silver Wing motorcycle) I had a pretty good idea how the inevitable project creep can burn through any budget. Carefully calculate a number, double it, and you'd be about half right. That being the case, and knowing that Roy's restoration standards are pretty much the same as mine, I knew that my Imp project would be costly.

As Roy mentioned, my Imp started life as a so-called "Deluxe" version - what a misnomer for a poverty-spec car! After spending in excess of what a brand new top-of- range Ford Fiesta would cost here, I did not want to end up with a cardboard parcel shelf and no glove-box, no door pockets or door capping trim, and blanks in the dashboard where a Smiths clock could go, etc. So I simply decided to up-spec it to the Super standard and I've ended-up with a Super-Deluxe, plus some. So yes, the chrome side trim is original Deluxe. If I had the broader Super trim available I would have fitted that, but this is SA not the UK, and Imp stuff doesn't exactly grow on trees here. Likewise the "Sunbeam" monikers fore and aft. That's how I received the car, the badges are original Rootes, and no Hillman badges were available here (or in the UK at reasonable cost), so Sunbeam Super-Deluxe it is.

The original matching-numbers engine (now 998 cc) affords it plenty of "go"; Colin Valentine Ford Fiesta disc brakes up front ensures it stops equally well. All hydraulics are "fill and forget" synthetic - as used on all my restored vehicles. I converted the cooling system to a closed system with expansion tank - visible in the photo as is the oil cooler purchased used from Bob's Club spares dept. Roy mentioned the large-bore and re-jetted Solex carb. I am very satisfied with the engine performance. Easy starting, prompt transition, effective cooling (radiator and heater were re-cored) and quiet running - an original spec silencer was custom built out of stainless steel from original factory drawings.

Fuses and relays were installed in the electrical system - an un-fused system is simply not safe and asking for trouble. New Wipac Land Rover Defender headlights light the road ahead very effectively at night, while LED bulbs do duty everywhere else except in the turn indicators (for now anyway). The useless front parking lights now serve as bright daytime-running lights, with bright Cree LEDs fitted. The car now has hazard warning lights like all modern cars - the activation press-switch (illuminated) can be seen in the photos. The puny original non-dipping rear view mirror was replaced by a dipping type - also from the current model L R Defender and still the same manufacturer as the 1971 original. A pair of Tex stainless steel classic door mirrors have been fitted. I discrete high-level brake light is fitted inside the top of the rear hatch window. The hatch stays ( non-existent on my car when I received it) were substituted by with off-the-shelf gas stays. An electric windscreen washer pump was installed, activated by a push-switch concealed behind the original push-pump-cum-wiper switch. Original Smiths Rootes accessory oil-pressure gauge (capillary type), ammeter and dashboard clock were obtained from a Club member in the UK and fitted to the Super version of the round-dial dashboard, the latter being recovered in leather, the saddle-stitching of which is in blue metallic thread. Self-stowing reel-type seatbelts replaced the original (but absent) lap belts in the front, and a pair of new lap-belts were fitted to the rear bench seat. Lots of sound-deadening and thermal insulating material was applied - virtually every metal surface has been covered in the stuff, with pleasing results.

On order through Roy is a new top-shaded windscreen ex-UK (less costly now thanks to Brexit...), a pair of wheel spacers for the rear wheels (I have retained the 12-inchers) and an adaptor for a spin-on cartridge-type oil filter. Also on the list, but for later, is a Denso alternator conversion - a simple task.

So there you have it - a 1960's-era classic, thoroughly and carefully restored to new condition, and discretely and as far as practicable brought up-to-date in terms of safety and driving and cabin comfort, without any non-Rootes original "bling" or boy-racer rubbish. Every rubber item on the car is new, every screw fastening has been media-blasted and electro-plated, engine with all new innards, new drive shaft couplings, an excellent "tight" gearbox, new suspension parts, etc, etc. Roy did a great job of it for me.
It comes with a bit of history too - it's an original Linwood car, ex-Coventry registered (a replica of the original licence disc is affixed on the windscreen alongside our local one!), and I'm only its second registered owner, and I believe that its present rear hatch window came from Terence Tracey's JoLon Imp. The car's metallic blue (Ford Blue Aquarius) is an almost exact match of the car's original Rootes shade.

That's my Sunbeam Super-Delux Imp - a special car to me, because an Imp was one of two vehicles on which I learned to drive in 1966 - the other was a Ford Anglia 105E.

Rob

Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa

Imp003
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

This forum thread was started late into the cars restoration, the reason being that Rob came to see the car only after I had the car upside down and I had painted the underside of the floor pan, he had seen the car once before in its untouched state though.

When he saw the car the second time we made the agreement for him to buy it then.

Some pictures (lots and lots of them ) have never been published so I will start on those today :D Imp003
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Parts such as the drive shaft UJ bearings were either in my stocks or supplied be the Imp Club Spares Department.

They were ex my stocks I now remember and I still have the boxes too!

Part number QL-15002 Junta Universal - Kreuzgelenk - Croisillion - Universal Joint ( in English) :D
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The amount of totally unseen work when a car like an Imp is rebuilt is astonishing?
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Greased and ready to refit.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Shafts and the front hubs which were fitted with new king pins.

Note the Colin Valentine chromed link plates to enable the Fiesta disc calipers to be fitted.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Some parts of this 1971 built Hillman Imp were like new, check the picture!
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The drive shaft splines were found to be good, I changed the universal bearings as they were in my stocks ( I now remember ) with the shafts stripped an old bearings removed I could bead blast the parts quite clean.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

This work was in progress as the underside of the car continued, I hand stripped and resprayed it all myself :D Imp003
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

It was some time around this period that Rob and myself agreed on a sale price and we then got together on what and how the car was to be finished? Imp003
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Refitted with cleaned shafts and new bearings, the car should never require another set of new bearings in Robs life time? they are not fitted with grease nipples :( Imp003

The bearings are part number QL-15002
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The standard of the re chrome work was mentioned recently, Rob decided to also up grade his 'Deluxe Imp' to a Super Deluxe Imp ' standard.

I had a pair of Imp overider's he could start the process with :D

Note the black U channel was that original?
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

A lot of this Imps story has never been published, so I will correct some of that, I hope I do not do repeats if they were posted before?

The steering box was fitted with a new lip seal, supplied by Bob Allan :D
Sunbeam 2014 018.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Sunbeam Imp parts 022.JPG
Bob Allan sent a huge crate of Imp spares over for this project, he also sent a Christmas Card :D
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Sunbeam 2014 036.JPG
While Bob Allan was sourcing the ever growing list of required parts for this car, I was either using the same from my stocks or refurbishing and refitting standard parts.

I have now worked on two Hillman Imps with the body upside down and I can tell you it is very much the better way of doing things :D
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Some African mechanics do things a little differently, this was what I found on the car when I got it.

That choke lever had a hole drilled through it, of course it was then weak and broke, I was fortunate that I had a spare assembly in stock.

Why that hole?

Note, I have just worked out that this was actually on my 1967 Hillman Imp Californian, I will transfer this posting to that cars thread.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The car was blue when I found it, given the wrong light it looked purple, in these pictures it looked fine, in real life it was a mess.

Time to go on the road and off to the paint shop, they had the car a long time but we had lots to keep me busy with.

This tow truck became a regular visitor over the next few months :D

That is Rob himself lining the car up, I was behind the Canon G11 camera.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

We have used the transport company so often in recent times, that I was told we now get a special discount price :D

Rob has yet to see these pictures, right now he and his wife are driving towards Durban for a bit of a holiday with their daughter.

He may go on line up there and see them then?
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Once the blue Imp was loaded we were then off to the paint shop :) Imp003

I was the back up man, not that I could do anything much but take some pictures.
Blue Imp on the move again 048.JPG
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Blue Imp on the move again 054.JPG
The drive take about a half hour, my place to the paint shop. Half the route is on back roads, the rest is on a very good highway as my pictures show.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The new highway signs were all part of the 2010 FIFA World Cup event, part of the rules are the correct signage of all roads, not a bad idea is it either :D
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Work on the cars fittings continued while the car was away at the paint shop.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

While Robs car was away I could continue on some of the parts that would be fitted to the car on his return.

This was my third set of Colin Valentine supplied front disc brake sets but my first for a 12" wheel rim which Rob was keen to use.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Fitting the kit that Colin supplies is really easy to fit, its a mornings work in some cases? A fitting guide with step by step photo's is included in the kit.

I did find that fitting to an Imps 12" steel rim was not as straight forward as to a 13" rim, some grinding of the edge of the caliper was required, plus a manufacturing 'bump' on the inside of the steel rim needs removal with a mini grinder.

The Ford Fiesta caliper was from a scrap dealer, the new disc was from Midas a local motor factors, I have an engineer who did the required machining to make it fit the Imps wheel hub.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

While the car was away work went on in all and every direction, If a part needed cleaning and servicing it was done now.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

At this time I was by now splitting some of my days work between the blue 1971 Imp Deluxe (now Super Deluxe) of Robs, and my own cars, one was the 1967 Singer Chamois.

With the arrival of a huge crate of parts from Bob Alan two sets of Tex wing mirrors were available to us.
One set for Robs car and the other set for the Singer.

As it turned out Robs order was a matching pair, my order was two drivers side mirrors instead :(

Tex sent me a free one by post, the incorrect one is now on my 1967 Imp Californian :D Imp027

This then became the start of the Imp Club stocking and selling Tex equipment, I have to say that the standard of manufacture is excellent :D
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

I have been instructed to refrain from calling this 1971 Hillman Imp a Deluxe model as that name was at best a weak joke, the car did not even have the door pockets that our Imps were known for.

I had a pair of such door pockets in stock, they became part of the cars rebuild and it was then on its way to being a 'Super Deluxe '

The paint is very close to the original shade, which I found a large sample of under the dash panel when the car was stripped out.

It was so close to the Samcor/Ford Aquarius metalic blue that I chose that without hesitation. Imp003
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Spares were sent over by Bob Alan, a very large crate of them, taking some months to find and get the order together I was pleased to have them when they arrived.

The transaxles are sitting on the orders packing crate :D

It was an airfreight delivery, expensive but with a handling company in control the delivery was fast and seemless.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

One spare part that Bob sourced and packed, was the Sport oil cooler take off boss, this one had a Mopar filter canister as well.
We have a pair of spin on filter conversion kits being made right now.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Bob also found us a Sport style oil cooler, it required some silver solder work and cleaning, the straightening of the copper wires I left to Bob, he did a great job and when repainted it looked as new :D

Bobs so called 'Deluxe Imp ' did not even have a heater blower fan, I had one in stock, its in my picture.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

A restored item like this sure brings a smile to your face :D

All Robs handy work, that background scene shows me that he also spray painted the oil cooler.

Nice job Rob! Imp003
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

This cartoon may be a joke but well worth remembering when ever we want to work under our cars?
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

I knew a professional mechanic crushed to death working alone under a coach after it rolled off a trolley jack onto his head, worst thing was he was like that all morning as folk didn't realise he was dead, always use proper rated axle stands no matter how quick a job might seem if youre putting yourself under the vehicle to do it even if it seems hassle for a quick couple of minute job.
I always think about that poor chap, sort of brings things in focus.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

The Nun wrote:I knew a professional mechanic crushed to death working alone under a coach after it rolled off a trolley jack onto his head, worst thing was he was like that all morning as folk didn't realise he was dead, always use proper rated axle stands no matter how quick a job might seem if youre putting yourself under the vehicle to do it even if it seems hassle for a quick couple of minute job.
I always think about that poor chap, sort of brings things in focus.
I also know of someone who didnt use stands - he didnt die but his right leg was so badly crushed he never walked properly or worked again
Formally known as " Noddy "
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Some parts were found and serviced here, by this time duplications were a possible as I was by then rebuilding the 1967 Hillman Imp Californian.

The cylinder at the back was converted from a 0.625" size to a 0.700" size.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The later model transaxle, it has the breather on it, seemed to be in good condition, it was from the car and Eric who had owned the car before, donated it to the project :D

I had the output spiders refaced on the lip seal wear surface.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

While we waited for the crate of Imp Club supplied spares to arrive I was off shopping at a number of local manufactures and suppliers.

One was a rubber moulding place, they had the stock, the sizes too but the quality of the rubber was just too hard a grade to be of use in most cases, those seals we recived from The Imp Club were very much more suitable :D

Those rubber buffers were fine, plus very inexpensive locally.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Door seal rubbers are made here in at least two sizes, the smaller size is still a tad too firm to allow the Imps doors to close easily.

In the end Rob IMPported his own which are a 'blade' and not a tube, seems they work better too?
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

African Imp wrote:While we waited for the crate of Imp Club supplied spares to arrive I was off shopping at a number of local manufactures and suppliers.

One was a rubber moulding place, they had the stock, the sizes too but the quality of the rubber was just too hard a grade to be of use in most cases, those seals we recived from The Imp Club were very much more suitable :D
You can also get a liquorice version :-p
http://www.keepitsweet.co.uk/type/liquo ... BBuXvkrLrc
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The original transaxle was re filled with Shell EP oil again :D Imp003

In all my years of Imps, I have still only ever seen one of these vented transaxles.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

New seals were fitted, the shafts were fitted with a sleeve to match the new lip seals.

Who packed grease into this ?

It was removed, Rob then took the transaxle home and flushed it out .
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

All back together again :D
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

A new windscreen has been ordered for the InfraZA blue Imp, it has a tinted top section.

As a group order I was able to offset the shipping cost quite a lot.

One untinted screen is also being shipped, that one is for sale.
pbergs
Car Model: stilletto

Post by pbergs »

African Imp wrote:A restored item like this sure brings a smile to your face :D

All Robs handy work, that background scene shows me that he also spray painted the oil cooler.

Nice job Rob! Imp003

Curses..that oil cooler looks fabulous... I did spend a day on mine but I need to go back....it didnt end up like that ....yet.
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Blue? what shade of blue and why was the car done in such a none standard shade of blue when it could easily have been re done in the same Rootes shade of blue that it left the factory in?

We were so lucky, as the paint in the picture was still as new, untouched and unseen until I stripped the dash area out :D Imp003
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

The car came complete with a correct style dash board, parts were either missing or not about to work.

The clubs Chairman, Graham, had a spare one he was happy to sell to the program, we got a glove box door too, was that from Graham?

Rob was able to fabricate one good dash panel and its parts from the two he now had :D

This Rob was able to do at his own workshops which are about 450 kms away, we tended to meet about every six weeks or so, swop parts and discuss what was to be done on the car next?
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

Would the untried transaxle work?

I had parts from a 1967 Singer Chamois transaxle, it failed with a horrible noise but inspection showed me it was that round shaped nut on the back of the assembly. It came loose, then the pinon went into the main gear, hence the noise, the gears are fine I think?

If Robs transaxle was not working, I would have to reassemble this unit :(

It was a back up at least?
African Imp

Post by African Imp »

To be certain we had the correct parts for the later style box we had Bob Alan supply them.

The bearings were found locally?
Sunbeam transaxle (1971) 002.JPG
Some used parts are included in the pictures.