Imp takes FTD at Prescott

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
StuartC
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super x 2

Imp takes FTD at Prescott

Post by StuartC » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:41 am

At the recent 'La Vie en Bleu' French themed meeting which ran classes for saloon and sports cars (along with pre-war cars and Bugattis) Ian Moss took best time of the day in his steel bodied 1200cc Imp with a time in wet conditions of 54.98 which, as Prescott regulars will know, is a respectable time for a dry run in an Imp! (Ian does sub 51's in the dry).

Congratulations Ian!!

Pics:-
Ian queueing in the paddock

general pics from the meeting including demo runs from the Veyron
limjamrace

Re: Imp takes FTD at Prescott

Post by limjamrace » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Crikey....No wonder they used to call me "la Snail" !
Best i did was 57 secs something-but i did hit the barrier at one time on the way up,and HGH was still halfway into the development it is today..
51 secs ...Thats Andy Whatsits G15 type of time with slicks!!!
Roll on 2009, Something to aim for!
Will this chappie be there on the 28/29th June.?

David L.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:11 pm

Unreal! :o That is brilliant! Not bad for a humble '60s saloon, eh? :wink:

Imps are great! :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ibbo
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Post by ibbo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:20 pm

ive done 52 secs in the dry in the dav not that im a big head :lol: :lol:
mark ibbotson
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:30 pm

^^ Legend! :) I've never done any speed hillclimbs or sprints but shall try to put that right this season...

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
ibbo

Post by ibbo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:33 pm

hurry up season ends october
mark ibbotson
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:36 pm

Yeah. I know. I plan to be at Curborough, whether or not I can afford to enter the sprint... plus HSA membership... etc... :roll:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
ibbo

Post by ibbo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:37 pm

top man see you there daves buying the beer :lol:
mark ibbotson
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:39 pm

:lol: :lol:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:46 pm

It always amazes me that when you think are unbeatable sometime in the future someone will improve your time...There are a lot of reasons for this...Tyres ..Track conditions.. Talent...Bananas...Whatever... Sometimes it all comes together for that special moment...Congratulations Ian and hope to bog at your car sometime!
Remember the first time we went to Prescott..At the end of the Practice Saturday we were so pleased to say that we beat up Ferraris in the wet..Come the timed runs on Sunday i was S.T.D ...What ever i had competed at a historic venue and looked back at this as an acheivement in life..Many thanks to the HSA for making it possible to a novice with a National B licence!

This could be you in 2009!!
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:51 pm

ibbo wrote:top man see you there daves buying the beer :lol:
[color=#0040FF

As from tradition!!
Where as you head for the Gents upon entering a public house..
Still not rising to the bait - I'm 56 + 7 days old now and mature enough to ignore,so
Yer -suks!!][/color]
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:01 pm

limjamrace wrote:This could be you in 2009!!
Hope so, David. Hope so. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming
Car Model: Imps and Clans

Post by Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:21 pm

yes , my first event was Wiscombe in the wet, quite a good feeling to be beating the exotics up the hill in a 68 Imp, congrats on the FTD
Keith
Dorset ACO
ibbo

Post by ibbo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:23 pm

dave seem to remember at both loton and prescott us going out for a couple of beers and ending up having more than our fair share those where the days also remember you laughing at a fat git trying to climb over the gate at loton after we were locked out only to discover next morning the wall around park to be only three feet
mark ibbotson
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:55 pm

As a midlander (Cov kid) currently stuck in North Yorkshire all this talk about sprints and hill climbs that would have been accessible if I still lived in Coventry or Winchester is doing my head-in.

I would love to get involved with all this stuff down there.....I hope to see you all at the IMP08 trackday... perhaps meeting you lot and listening to the stories and tales over a drop of hard stuff will make it a "must do before I die" thing. :evil:
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:18 pm

Yep ...The Prescot round was awash with water i had a stream start next to my tent in the car park opposite. We went to the pub still in our overalls,because of the cold and wet.You told me your life story and i told you mine! Had to get half cut just to get to sleep!
After climbing /gate crashing into Loton in the pitch black darkness a strange large dog appeared with bl***y great horns! Luckily you won the scary contest and it legged it!
In the early hours i had to get out of the tent to let Peter out only for Lord Whatsit to come walking along ..That was embarassing!

Looking back i remember You,Simon and Myself in convoy . I was limited to 55 mph on the trip due to S/C C/R transaxle..Which was frustrating for Simon in his standard Stiletto and standard gearing! For some reason we gave it some welly and lost Simon in our 100mph + burst!
I was only thinking of all the names that appeared and went from the start of the HSA competition..Wonder where they all are now?
All moved on in life i guess!
Still i'm not expecting things to be the same again -JUST BLOOMING BETTER AY !!
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:36 pm

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:As a midlander (Cov kid) currently stuck in North Yorkshire all this talk about sprints and hill climbs that would have been accessible if I still lived in Coventry or Winchester is doing my head-in.

I would love to get involved with all this stuff down there.....I hope to see you all at the IMP08 trackday... perhaps meeting you lot and listening to the stories and tales over a drop of hard stuff will make it a "must do before I die" thing. :evil:
Actually i think the idea of the HSA championship is to encourage allcomers from a National scene not just the Midlands.. It has venues all over the country not just the Midlands -to which i thankfully now live in Motorsport land
Is it not right that there are 17 rounds to chose from ...The best or only 8 rounds can be added to your tally!
Pretty clever people these HSA lot..Must be that president Paul Richardson influencing a lot of it!

He actually started in a beautiful red Clan which was standard .He couldn't care a toss where he came,just loved the atmosphere and being involved. Now he is President as i told you and sold his what was to become a full on Class N competition Clan..

I hope that you don't get the impression that i am a drinker ..I gave up drinking for Wales and England years ago..Think too much of myself and my body to do it now..Dangerous as well at my age!
Mind you i may have one or two for old times sake in October after all a special occasion and all that -don't suppose Elizabeth will ever know!
yours David L.
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:26 pm

Sorry but there's no way that the HSA could be said to be a "National" series.

It's an English based series. Their own event nearest to me [Curborough] is 350 miles away. [That's one way !!] The nearest event in the championship however is only about 300 miles away...........one way. :twisted:
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:39 pm

yep for speed scene motorsport best to be located in the Midlands...gutted!

Still on the up side, both Scotland and the Dales have roads and hills to die for....and we can use these any day of the week. Nothing to like them in the Midlands.

Now if I had a passion for rallying then I wouldn't feel so left out up here. But its such a dirty sport... :roll: :wink:
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:55 pm

Useless Eustace wrote:Sorry but there's no way that the HSA could be said to be a "National" series. It's an English based series.
Some would argue that England is a nation, just like Scotland :wink:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:08 pm

Useless Eustace wrote:Sorry but there's no way that the HSA could be said to be a "National" series.

It's an English based series. Their own event nearest to me [Curborough] is 350 miles away. [That's one way !!] The nearest event in the championship however is only about 300 miles away...........one way. :twisted:

Yep ..Sorry you are right there..a National series is what the Super 1 Kart series is for TKM class karts...1st round Beccles.. Suffolk ..2nd ..Lanarkshire,Scotland, 3rd round Llandow, Wales, 4th rd Newark Lincs,,5th Clay pigeon Dorset.. 6th Buckmore Kent...
The HSA is an English series ,although the nearest to you is Harewood ...Yorks that should make the ex-pat ..Midlands man happier!
Although you could never make anyone happy wherever you had an event..I have heard people moaning at the vast distances to cover since they introduced the "English" events. Although there is something for everyone there i suppose!
Betcha ,if they held a meeting in say West Scotland then it wouldn't suit someone in East Scotland though!
The Harewood round is the 5th or 6th of July by the way!!!
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:12 pm

bazzateer wrote:
Useless Eustace wrote:Sorry but there's no way that the HSA could be said to be a "National" series. It's an English based series.
Some would argue that England is a nation, just like Scotland :wink:

True ,but being a half caste Welsh person i like to think we are all the same federation of planets :?
As Mark told me ..Beam me up Scottie!! (pun slipped in there)
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Although it's getting a wee bit off topic the next round of a SCOTTISH hillclimb/sprint championship is only 148 miles away from me. West of Scotland would be fine though. :twisted:

Back to topic..............Excellent result in an Imp. Looks well prepared and obviously well driven.

By the way isn't that Tiny Rowlands old registration?
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:57 pm

By the way isn't that Tiny Rowlands old registration?
Answers own question :twisted: ...........NOPE..........That was 7742KV. Close though !!
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:48 am

Wow... Not knowing much about Prescott I hadn't realised the time was that good. Hopefully someone captured the runs on video!
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years