Info on 410 lift cams

mtnbikepoacher
Club Member: No
Car Model: Imp basic and deluxe

Info on 410 lift cams

Post by mtnbikepoacher »

Hi all you race fans,
I'm looking into what is involved in the use of a 410 race cam. It looks like one needs to use a special cam carrier. Is the carrier positioned higher off the head? Are the valves the same size?

Thanks
Alan
benwick3
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 »

Not used one myself but have competed against people using them and my conclusion is that they are not worth the additional cost. As you rightly say a special cam carrier is needed - Ian Carter's best money spinner. Valves are the same although different valve springs are needed and these use to be susceptible to breakage. Also, the head requires machining to fit the carrier.

No doubt others will disagree.

Pete Richards
mtnbikepoacher

Post by mtnbikepoacher »

My friend is fitting his Beech GT racer with a 998 and he has been told by a fellow in Florida that races the same setup that the .410 is the way to develope the best maxx output. He has a engine that has a mystery cam in it now, and once he gets some rings for the head he'll be able to see what the power output is like.
The guy in florida said they are gfetting 135 MPH out of his car on the straights (I think the car weighs in at around 500lbs). I hear the Bevan Imp was getting clocked at that, and it's quite a bit more heavy. What was the Bevan car runnig for a cam? I could find the info but I left my Beven book at a friends house, and now it's making the rounds to all my other friends that have Imps! I haven't had a chance to read it ;)

it does sound like alot of trouble to fit though.

Thanks
Al
Gerry Richards
Car Model: Davrian mk4

Post by Gerry Richards »

mtnbikepoacher wrote: The guy in florida said they are gfetting 135 MPH out of his car on the straights (I think the car weighs in at around 500lbs). I hear the Bevan Imp was getting clocked at that, and it's quite a bit more heavy. What was the Bevan car runnig for a cam?

I'm sure I've heard it ran an R23 - don't forget that top speed is a relationship between power and drag, not power and the mass of the vehicle. Two cars with similar power and similar cD will have similar top speeds irrespective of their mass, allowing for gearing and other friction losses - wonder what the cD and the gearing of the Bevan Imp was!!
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

Ah... you should buy a copy of Martyn Morgan-Jones' brilliant book on the Bevan Imp and all will be revealed. Well, quite a lot anyway :wink:

Cheers
Tim
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
mtnbikepoacher

Post by mtnbikepoacher »

Ah... you should buy a copy of Martyn Morgan-Jones' brilliant book on the Bevan Imp and all will be revealed. Well, quite a lot anyway
I Did! I can't get the book back from my friends! It's as if I brought it over for everyone else but me to read!
I left it at the guys house that has the beach so he could copy a pic, next thing I know he's finished reading it and wants a real Imp (so I guess I may have left it there on purpose :twisted: ), then I get a call from another friend who now has it and he's raving about it!
I only made it through te first chapter when I lent it. I may never see it again ;)

But if it gets someone to buy an Imp and get it back on the road, it has be a worthy sacrafice.

cheers
Al
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 »

I’ve only just seen this topic, but a few years ago I was speaking to a bloke who raced the Eagle Imp here in Australia, it is a tiny open wheeler and he said the 410 cam put the power so far up the rev range that getting of the line was a real struggle. Now if it’s like that in an open wheeler I can only assume it would be hard work in an Imp. Only for very high rev/high speed stuff with an envelope-stretching engine I would say.
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

"Disremember" !! What agreat word :D Nearly as good as Martin Brundles "Dischuffed" :wink:

Andy
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
rootes

Post by rootes »

article on Beach Mk4 in this months impressions

Si
With Diesel Power, Blows your mind drastically, fantastically
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Not a bad tip Bill, it is not very often you have the problem of too much traction, eh? I’m not sure of the Eagle Imp period race history, but in recent historic racing I have seen it start handicap races on scratch nearly half a lap behind the second-last-away car which gives you some idea of its performance. PS when I say tiny the length of the car couldn’t be more than 7 feet.
onomatopoeia
Car Model: Singer Chamois, Davrian Mk7a, Clan Crusader

Post by onomatopoeia »

Bumping this from beyond the dawn of time (who says no-one uses the search facility).

Does anyone know the valve timings and inlet opening at TDC for the 410 camshaft?
HARRY
Car Model: davrian mk 8 / hillman imp

Post by HARRY »

175 at tdc.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Mark give me a day or three and I think I will be able to come up with something