12" tyres

Steve
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

12" tyres

Post by Steve »

Could anybody advise as to where I can purchase tyres for 12" rims,(originals)? Please. Just been to my local tyre shop and I'd have more luck buying rocking horse poo. Would it be wise to change to 13" now for availability of tyres? The existing 12" tyres are all rotten and I just wanted to be able to move Impy whilst getting her road ready. From what vehicle would the wheels fit as a direct replacement? Dont need to be pretty. Imp001
Thank you in anticipation
1974, Super Imp: PBW 802M, Haze Blue.
phatbob
Car Model: Hillman Super Imp.

Re: 12" tyres

Post by phatbob »

Nankang 155/80R12 77T are readily available and extrememly good for such a cheap tyre. They're particularly good in the wet BTW.
HTH,
Bob.
Imp002
Astronomy is looking up!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks Bob. I'm a way off getting her on the road yet. I'm not good in the wet either. Thank you.
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

A set of skates would do to move a car around the workshop, as long as the originals still hold some air, pointless fitting new tyres if the cars sitting around whilst youre still restoring it, they'll probably need renewing again by the time you're ready for the road.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Steve

Post by Steve »

I agree totally Peter. The tyres date back to 88 and 90. Two are rotten and don't hold air for long and one has a wood screw in it. Hopefully I can get her roadworthy during the summer. I don't have a workshop yet, well, not to get a car in but hope to have one in a few months. Thanks for your help.
aswinbou

Post by aswinbou »

Thanks Phatbob, I to have been on the hunt. Apparently there are some 'van' tyres which are 12" but when I ask if they'll be OK on a car, I just get a 'your choice' type answer.
Tracking too, oohhh sorry that cars not on the computer, can't help!
I think I've found an older style garage - UNK's gone in this morning for some carb tweaking
Regards, Andrew & UNK (UNK657E)
phatbob

Post by phatbob »

aswinbou wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:07 am Thanks Phatbob, I to have been on the hunt. Apparently there are some 'van' tyres which are 12" but when I ask if they'll be OK on a car, I just get a 'your choice' type answer.
I think I've found an older style garage - UNK's gone in this morning for some carb tweaking
Nankang do a van tyre in 155/80/12 (the CW-25), I have a pair on my Paradiso flat caravan. The ones on my car are Nankang CX-668. These are a pukka car tyre and available through the interweb (e.g. blackcircles) even if your local garage can't souce them.
HTH
Bob
Imp002

https://www.nankangtyre.co.uk/products/retro/cx-668/
Astronomy is looking up!
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

aswinbou wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:07 am Thanks Phatbob, I to have been on the hunt. Apparently there are some 'van' tyres which are 12" but when I ask if they'll be OK on a car, I just get a 'your choice' type answer.
Don't fit van tyres - too hard in the sidewalls for the lightweight Imp.

There are options out there - just avoid the big fleecers (Kwik Flat etc). I've got Nangkangs on my '67 Imp Super and they are fab. Also look out for Hi-Fly - these can even be found in the more uncommon 175/70x12 that can be desirable for period 5x12in alloys and are very good.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
RoyBlunt
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp

Post by RoyBlunt »

If you just want to be able to move the car around in the garage would it be worth trying a tyre sealant (something like Holts Tyreweld Puncture Repair 400ml - £6.39 from Toolstation) on the current tyres? Have to say that I’ve never used it myself but it might be worth a try. Obviously put good tyres on the car when it is ready to go on the road. I also use the Nankang 155/80R12 77T tyres on Suzy (1966 Super Imp) and have found them excellent.

Roy Imp011
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

The tyre sealant will work providing no hole is larger than a nail hole, you could slip some inner tubes in for now as well or pull the valve out and fill with expanding foam, they do that on the access platforms so it can't puncture and tip the machine over.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for suggestions. I'm replacing two tyres as they are totally shot. I'm looking for ideas on fresh wheels. 12" or 13" alloys. Maybe rostyles. Finding them is not easy, minilites look nice but bl***y expensive. I'm trying to keep to my, "spend as little as possible" budget.
phatbob

Post by phatbob »

Steve wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:19 pm Thanks for suggestions. I'm replacing two tyres as they are totally shot. I'm looking for ideas on fresh wheels. 12" or 13" alloys. Maybe rostyles. Finding them is not easy, minilites look nice but bl***y expensive. I'm trying to keep to my, "spend as little as possible" budget.
If you're looking for after-market wheels, search for Spridget wheels as well as Imp. The PCD and offset is the same on a Spridget as an Imp, but a LOT more places sell MG stuff, so you may well find a better buy that way.
HTH
Imp002

P.S. Spridget = Austin-Healy Sprite or MG Midget
Astronomy is looking up!
impmann

Post by impmann »

phatbob wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:56 pm
Steve wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:19 pm Thanks for suggestions. I'm replacing two tyres as they are totally shot. I'm looking for ideas on fresh wheels. 12" or 13" alloys. Maybe rostyles. Finding them is not easy, minilites look nice but bl***y expensive. I'm trying to keep to my, "spend as little as possible" budget.
If you're looking for after-market wheels, search for Spridget wheels as well as Imp. The PCD and offset is the same on a Spridget as an Imp, but a LOT more places sell MG stuff, so you may well find a better buy that way.
HTH
Imp002

P.S. Spridget = Austin-Healy Sprite or MG Midget

Thing to consider with Spridget wheels is that a lot of them have smaller diameter stud holes. You can't just drill these out bigger, as unlike many cars the Imp's wheels centre on the *STUDS* not the central spigot/hub. Therefore if the holes aren't perfectly aligned, you will have all manner of horrible vibrations at best... at worst it could be highly dangerous. Thats not to say you *can't* make the stud holes bigger, but it needs to be done accurately - which may be a job for a machine shop rather than a DIY operation.

There are *LOTS* of inexpensive options for different alloy wheels available but you need to be realistic - I can't seem to sell 12in alloys for more than the scrap value these days. Its sad but the set of period 12in Midland Metallic Super Novas I have spare in the garage loft are worth more as scrap alloy (I get £20 per wheel for alloy wheels locally). You're welcome to them for the scrap value (no lower) if you're keen... I've also got three 12in Astrali alloys in the same boat that will be heading for weigh in shortly too.

Frankly, I'd avoid cheap new wheels - as they really aren't made as well as the period stuff. Your mileage may vary.
Tim Morgan
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for that Tim.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Where in the country are you Tim?
impmann

Post by impmann »

Steve wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:21 am Where in the country are you Tim?
Northants.
Tim Morgan
Steve

Post by Steve »

impmann wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:27 pm
Northants.
I'm very interested in the wheels in your garage loft you've mentioned. I'm not too far away, depending on which side of Northamptonshire you are. I'm Newmarket way. Do you have access to my email in my profile? I'm still learning my way around this programme, so many little bits to it.
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli »

I also have a set of 12" alloys available, and I am in Norwich... if that helps anyone?
impmann

Post by impmann »

Steve wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:41 pm
impmann wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:27 pm
Northants.
I'm very interested in the wheels in your garage loft you've mentioned. I'm not too far away, depending on which side of Northamptonshire you are. I'm Newmarket way. Do you have access to my email in my profile? I'm still learning my way around this programme, so many little bits to it.
I did try to ping you an email - but not sure if its gone through...
Tim Morgan
knac1234
Club Member: No

Post by knac1234 »

All,

Thought I'd chime in on the availability of tires as I just (last week) ordered a replacement set for my Imp (in the USA).

I imported my Imp--and restored it--about 14 years ago. Embarrassed to say that the tires were long overdue to be replaced (new by PO when shipped over to the US)....perfect tread, very minimal miles, and always garage stored. No cracking in the sidewalls at all, but way overdue age wise.

Anyway, now I have confessed! I purchased the same size that was on the car....165 70/R12. The old ones were Nankang also....so I can vouch for their quality.

The new ones are Petlas, which are made in Turkey.....good reviews online and I could get them over here in the US.

That said, I had to source them myself online (as no tire shop carried that size), and will take them next week to be mounted and balanced!

Cheers,
Julian
71 RHD Super Imp/bits of ULT872M-74 Imp
80 Reliant Super Robin
65 MGB
80 MGB GT
65 Reliant Regal
05 Lotus Elise
93 Rover Metro

TN, USA
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for your input Julian. Your imp must look like a minature over there! You must get lots of looks and comments. Over here most people under the age of 40 have never hear or seen an imp!
knac1234
Club Member: No

Post by knac1234 »

Steve,

No problem. Hopefully that helps you with brand and/or size selections.

Yes, the Imp (and most of my other cars) are indeed miniature in comparison to most things out here!

And yes, it gets many looks and comments. Unless it is someone English, no one knows what it is (and, as mine is the Chrysler UK version of the Imp, the Chrysler badge absolutely throws people off base!!).

My passion for all British cars-especially the Imp-is due to the fact that I was born in the UK (Bristol) and mum had one growing up (a bronze/gold 74 Super Imp). I bought mine in order to replicate hers (mine is a 71 Super Imp, identical to hers, except that I kept the blue factory colour and did not opt to make it bronze/gold!). She still lives over there-in Cornwall-and was absolutely shocked when I called her one day to tell her that I had bought one!!!!

Cheers,
Julian
71 RHD Super Imp/bits of ULT872M-74 Imp
80 Reliant Super Robin
65 MGB
80 MGB GT
65 Reliant Regal
05 Lotus Elise
93 Rover Metro

TN, USA