"Tanks" Imp TV ad - Advice wanted

RootesRooter
Club Member: No
Car Model: None

"Tanks" Imp TV ad - Advice wanted

Post by RootesRooter »

By way of introduction, my name is Dick Sanders. I live in Kent. Not YOUR Kent, but the one on the west coast of the US, near Seattle, Washington. I've owned many Rootes-mobiles over the years, but no Imps yet. Several decades ago, I picked up a Sony 1" video reel which purports to contain 16 different British TV ads, including one labeled "Hillman Imp -'Tanks'" Every few years I would take it off the shelf and try to find someone who could identify and convert it to a viewable format. I imagined being able to retrieve and share a rare bit of Rootes history. Finally, several months ago I found a company in the US that claimed they could digitize it. Once they had the tape in hand they found it is not the common PAL format they expected.

At the same time, I looked through YouTube for the first time in several years and found the Tanks ad already posted. What a great ad!!

The video company now says they have resources nearby that can probably convert the tape. If I go ahead with it, I'll have $250 US into it, including $30 shipping already spent. Question for all you Rootes enthusiasts out there: What would you do? Is it doomed for the dustbin? They only problem with the ad on YouTube is a large logo added that takes up a good chunk of the screen. Thanks for your time. If you wish to contact me directly: RootesRooter@aol.com.
The Nun
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imp

Re: "Tanks" Imp TV ad - Advice wanted

Post by The Nun »

Put it back on the shelf for another decade, technology is improving every day so soon you will be able to convert it yourself with a push of a button on your iPhone, so don't throw it away.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Grahame59
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Grahame59 »

RootesRooter wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:35 am At the same time, I looked through YouTube for the first time in several years and found the Tanks ad already posted. What a great ad!!
Could we have the link to the YouTube video please?
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
RootesRooter
Club Member: No
Car Model: None

Post by RootesRooter »

RGWM
Car Model: Singer Chamois, Hillman Husky

Post by RGWM »

Never seen that before - thanks! :)
Richard Murtha, Pennine Area Centre Organiser - Husky to be restored!
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

It was during tests of the early version of Tom Tom sat nav 😄
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033