60th Anniversary of the Imp launch - Celebration event at Coventry_Advance notice

RoyBlunt
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp

60th Anniversary of the Imp launch - Celebration event at Coventry_Advance notice

Post by RoyBlunt »

This will be based at the Broadstreet Rugby Club, Binley Woods, Coventry (the location of the 50th Anniversary event in 2013) from 27th April to 1st May 2023. Exact schedule to be confirmed but we have planned a track day at the Curborough Sprint Course on Friday 28th, a visit to Coventry Transport Museum plus a display of Imps on Millennium Place in front of the museum on Saturday 29th, runs out on Sunday 30th, and (possibly) a visit to a local attraction on the morning of Monday May 1st. Camping is available at the Rugby Club and there are two hotels (the Cocked Hat and Premier Inn) within easy walking distance. A block of rooms at the Cocked Hat hotel has been reserved for our use but are not available for booking yet. Further info to follow nearer the event.

Roy Blunt (on behalf of the organisers)
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Re: 60th Anniversary of the Imp launch - Celebration event at Coventry_Advance notice

Post by ganderson888 »

That's excellent news, Roy
Would it be feasible to have trade stands at the rugby club?

I know we just had Club Spares there last time for Imp50 but with the distance and expense involved in taking stock to Scotland in August this would be a more cost effective option for myself, Malcolm and Ian Toon.

Regards
Graham
Graham Anderson
Graham's Imp Spares
chairman@theimpclub
Car Model: ...

Re: 60th Anniversary of the Imp launch - Celebration event at Coventry_Advance notice

Post by chairman@theimpclub »

Thanks Graham,

Fair comment - but I'd hate to step on the Scotland organisers' toes! Needs to be discussed. I'll be in touch.

Best wishes,

Roy
-------------
Chairman
The Imp Club
Uncle Henry
Car Model: Imp deluxe

Post by Uncle Henry »

I would suggest that Graham's idea is the most prudent for the Traders mentioned. Strict pre-orders for them for anything of modest size might be the way to go for any spares required for the Scotland based gathering. Far better than none being taken, and everyone will need to consider cost and practicalities of the distances involved. The older members of the Sussex AC are already saying they might have to question their attendance. Even splitting the trip from down here in two stages will be too much for some, three becomes ever more expensive when hotel accommodation is taken into account. I'm fully appreciative of Graham's costings plight.

AG
Stans best mate.
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Post by ganderson888 »

Thanks Andy,

It's quite likely that I will be attending the National in my Imp so that I can actively participate in the event, something I haven't actually done since Imp 50. Consequently there would little or space to take pre-ordered parts with me.
Graham Anderson
Graham's Imp Spares
gill
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super, BS Nymph, Siva Llama

Post by gill »

On the Sunday, 30th, the clocks go forward.
GIllian Hill
Social Media
Car Model: -

Post by Social Media »

Err, clocks go forwards in March, not April? It is however National Buggs Bunny day on 30th April. Fancy dress anyone 🤣
Pete & Karen Fitzgerald
Social Media Officers
gill
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super, BS Nymph, Siva Llama

Post by gill »

Thanks Pete - my calendar is wrong!
GIllian Hill
RoyBlunt
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp

Re: 60th Anniversary of the Imp launch - Celebration event at Coventry_Update

Post by RoyBlunt »

Plans for this are progressing well. Just to recap – we will be based at the Broadstreet Rugby Club, Binley Woods, Coventry (the location of the 50th Anniversary event in 2013) from Thursday 27th April to Monday 1st May 2023. A track day at the Curborough Sprint Course is planned for Friday 28th (suggested earliest arrival day at Broadstreet unless you want to go to Curborough as participant, helper, or spectator), a visit to Coventry Transport Museum plus a display of Imps on Millennium Place in front of the museum on Saturday 29th, visit to the Great British Car Journey on Sunday 30th, and (possibly) a visit to a local attraction on the morning of Monday May 1st as an interesting diversion on the way home for those interested.

Camping (tents/caravans/motorhomes) is available at the Rugby Club and there are two hotels (the Cocked Hat and the Binley Woods Premier Inn) within easy walking distance. A block of rooms at the Cocked Hat hotel has been reserved for our use over the period of the event and can be booked from now – first come, first served. The cost for Double Room Single Occupancy Bed & Breakfast is £72.00/night, for Double Room Double Occupancy Bed & Breakfast £79.99/night. These prices allow cancellation with a full refund up to 28 days before the date of arrival but please double check that you are booking under those terms – a lower price for a non-refundable booking may be available. Some larger rooms are potentially available but you will need to contact the hotel to discuss options. The hotel number is 024 7663 6767 (state that you are attending the Imp Club event at Broadstreet RFC when enquiring or booking) and the website is https://www.greenekinginns.co.uk/hotels ... hat-hotel/. If you prefer to stay at the Premier Inn you may well find equivalent prices to be higher than the Cocked Hat. No club deal available, check their current rates via their website www.premierinn.com.

Meals & drinks will be available at the excellent facilities in the Rugby Club during the event and the social side of the event will be inside the warm & dry building, not in a marquee. Obviously, as for all Imp Club events, warm & dry weather has been ordered (..says he, tongue firmly in cheek..) but it is still in April…. There will be room for trade stands outside the building.

The track day at Curborough will be for a maximum of 20 cars and is for Club members only. Please reserve your place as soon as possible. Don’t wait for booking forms to appear – use the email link below as the Curborough arrangements will be handled separately from the other Coventry events. The track haven’t given us full 2023 cost details yet (should be available in January) but we are working on a likely cost of around £60/car to cover circuit hire & insurance costs. This figure may have to increase if the circuit require the Club to provide additional facilities. Curborough isn’t like Goodwood – there will be no professional team to support us and we will be essentially on our own at the circuit. The Club will have to provide its own marshals (basic marshals’ equipment is provided) and personnel to organise pit lane, circuit entry, etc., etc. Thus we will need an adequate number of non-track day participants to commit to doing this as soon as possible – use the email link below to offer your services. NB IF WE DON’T GET SUFFICIENT VOLUNTEERS FOR THIS BY THE END OF JANUARY THE TRACK DAY WILL NOT GO AHEAD.

We will also need volunteers at the Rugby Club and at the other venues to assist with rally control, parking, general stewarding, etc., etc. My thanks to those who are already involved in the organisation of the event.

Please use the event email address imp60thcoventry2023@gmail.com for reserving places at the track day, offering to help at the circuit on the day, general offers of help elsewhere, and for any queries concerning the event. Further information and booking forms will follow in due course.

Roy Blunt (on behalf of the organisers)
GeForce Junky
Car Model: Hillman Imp Van

Post by GeForce Junky »

Let me know if you are struggling for volunteers for helping at the trackday. It being on Friday makes it much harder, otherwise Holly would have been happy to help. Presumably with it being one car a time we only need a marshal on the track entry and not much else?
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

GeForce Junky wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:51 am Let me know if you are struggling for volunteers for helping at the trackday. It being on Friday makes it much harder, otherwise Holly would have been happy to help. Presumably with it being one car a time we only need a marshal on the track entry and not much else?
Hmm I would think sensibly you would need a few marshal's around the track not just one on the entrance? Although it's not a race as such even with one car going around I can't see them only going at 30 mph, i expect they will want to push it a bit then there's the chance of an off where there could be a need for a fire extinguisher say or angle grinder to get the driver out, positioned around the track?
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

There is a large amount of effort going on in the background to ensure we have the right amount of marshals with the correct skills to run the track day. Some may need to be MSUK authorised depending on the track day permit for liability reasons and we also need volunteers to organise the parking in the paddock and generally helping people line up to go out etc. So thank you all who have volunteered you will be really helpful on the day.
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
pubcrawler
Car Model: 1965 Imp, 1971 AH Sprite MkIV, 1965 Triumph Herald

Post by pubcrawler »

moose wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:52 am There is a large amount of effort going on in the background to ensure we have the right amount of marshals with the correct skills to run the track day. Some may need to be MSUK authorised depending on the track day permit for liability reasons and we also need volunteers to organise the parking in the paddock and generally helping people line up to go out etc. So thank you all who have volunteered you will be really helpful on the day.
I have sent Roy an e-mail to-day regarding the Friday track day at Curborough 8)
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.