What did you do to your Imp today?

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: ,n/a

Re: What did you do to your Imp today?

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Sum total of car fixorage this week so far.

Re-stuff some foam in the Singers passenger sunvisor as the bit i stuck in a few years back moved :roll: - ive done it different this time so it shouldnt happen again .

Having a factory fitted vanity mirror helps with this job , remove mirror , fit foam through the hole then refit mirror :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formally known as " Noddy "
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Gordon delivered the side panel for his Van
IMG_20190719_170700.jpg
I set about trial fitting it
IMG_20190719_182952.jpg
More work still required but very happy with initial fit :D

Just need to find one for the other side now, if anyone has an offside one as its rotten at the roof and poor previous repairs to the rear corner. Van side panel would be great but could make a Husky one work.

Money waiting and not expecting it to be cheap.

Thanks to Martin Dingle for helping out with this one.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 »

Washed 3 cars on Saturday - 2 of them Imps, first time they've had a tub in many years sitting in a shed & garage respectively. The blue car is example of why you can't trust photos (even slightly blurry ones) it is way less shiny than it looks! The stripes have cracked - not sure you could do this effect deliberately? It is also sitting a bit high - no engine. Another funny snippet - the mud flaps were made by cutting down some from a cement truck - the name of the company can be seen on them.
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

Today I spent an idle 2 hours in the hot hot sun waiting for my eldest son to turn up to rescue me. I had taken the decision to nip down to Speedy Spares to purchase a recon starter motor as my original was playing around and was sure to give up the ghost quite soon. So this afternoon was exactly the right (wrong) time. So there I am parked up, new starter in my possession but inappropriate tooling to fit it at the roadside. Then.... and you can hardly believe it, after arranging my rescue, I waltz off to buy some water at a nearby petrol outlet. I've literally just crossed the road junction when "wham" there's an RTA right next to me ! Long story short - they close the road ! aaarrrrgh ! :evil: I'm now back home having eventually received a bump start :roll:

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

I mentioned recently the cylinder head size difference between an Imp and Ford Falcon 4.0 six. The cylinder spacing is the same as when the engine debuted in the first Falcon in 1959 as a 2.4L (144ci), however the cylinder head is longer to house the SOHC timing chain - it was originally OHV. The newer DOHC head is even bulkier at the front because it has the cam adjustment mechanisms for the variable valve timing. The SOHC layout is different to the Imp as the cam actuates the valves via rockers as per most 'what used to be modern' engines. Nice big port sizes anyway - with a big enough turbo I have heard of over 1000hp.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Here's the 1966 Mk2 Imp, a genuine little old lady car I bought after her grandson did not want it. Apart from the scrape on the side, she was prompted to retire from driving after running into her gatepost one day... Other than the damage there is no rust so I've always thought it's worth fixing; I originally bought it for the interior.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Today I finally got around to fitting an electric bonnet release. I'd had a half hearted attempt before, but it didn't work. This time I've used one with a motor, rather than solenoid and it's successful. Why have I bothered ? Well Stan was originally a basic : rubber mat, no door pockets, no glove box. Just a plain open cardboard shelf. This means that the bonnet pull is fixed to the bulkhead/firewall and as such is a right pain to reach if a glove box is fitted. Which has been the case for some years now. It invokes sideways looks if you ask your passenger to pull your knob as its difficult to reach ! So now there is a delicately small red button to press once the glove box is open, and hey presto - it's popped ! 8)
The motor is mounted on a chunky aluminium bracket bolted to the top of the front plenum. Stainless steel fixings all round. Actuator rod is affixed to the same place as the original cable.

Andy G
DSC_1134.JPG
DSC_1127.JPG
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

DSC_1135.JPG
DSC_1136.JPG
Nice and clean, and germ free too 8)

Andy G
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

To follow up here's the other car, a GT, and since the last installment I've put cardboard under them to catch oil drips and emptied out parts that were transported inside the car (seats, bumpers, boot cardboard panels/covers).

The GT has rust in most of the usual places but it's not that bad and seems to be pretty complete. It needs a full restoration, but I'll probably sell it before getting to it (don't really have space to keep all the cars). I don't believe we have the original engine for this one, but do have another GT engine. It has quite a small aftermarket steering wheel, but after measuring it (300mm dia.) and others, it just seems small because it is thinner - two other cars also have 300mm wheels but with thicker rims. Going on past experience that is plenty to give enough leverage on the steering. Also gives a good view of the aftermarket tacho I suppose!
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Not quite done today but over the last 500 or so most days, 66 Sport and £4500 of new panels fitted will be off for a new coat of Ming Blue in the New Year, it was previously Minging Blue, quite a rare sport only colour back in 66/67 as most seemed to be metallic green, bronze.
008.jpg
007.jpg
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 »

moose wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:51 pm I like Oxford blue. I did my rally car in an oxford blue and any one who has read my thread can see the work i put into the car so can you imagine how i managed to keep my cool at a show when having shown and talked someone round the car from one end to the other all i got (not even a compliment on the workmanship) was that is the wrong shade of oxford blue!
Same type of thing happened to me many years ago when I built a car up for circuit racing in the pre-66 CSCC series, where you had to run all steel panels and the single solex set up.
Had spent about 15 months stripping the car down, it had been off the road in a garage for about 15 years before I got the car. The car was really solid and only needed a small amount of welding in one wheel arch and it was re-built with a full re-spray inside and out.

Took the car and the re-build photo's on a build board to the national at Banham(?) and was told by someone quite senior in the club after they'd had a good look at the car and the photo's, "that's pity that you turned a really nice shell into a race car".

Think the other thing that miffed him was the repainted Imp badges on the dummy grill and "C" pillar with a Mopar green backround instead of blue, this really wound up him and others that weekend. I'd done that to go with the green painted ashtrays that I left in the dash and on the tunnel behind the seat, with most of the brackets also being green along with the wing mirrors. As both of my previous hillclimb cars always had something green on them and I like green, even had a green race suit.
EAF 716C, Donington DTM, Pre-66 Support Race[34868].jpg
Wasn't that bothered about the comments, as when we took the car to Donington to race in the support race for the German Touring Cars(pic above), Pat Longhurst (the multiple Davrian driving champion) had a really good look round the car and congratulated me on the preparation
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 »

Cleaned, polished up and painted the windscreen motor.
Also stripped the headlamp bowls and cut a hole in the back so I can access the bulbs easily when I refit them with H4 halogen lamps. 8)
_20191227_200003.JPG
Cheers
Col.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Sorry to hear that, Mike. Best keep them outside of the car from now on, eh? It's the same jealousy that inspires the giits to run a key down the side of a nice car.... :evil:

Andy G
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

colimp66 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:57 pm It sure is a tip from Nods news Andy. :D
You have to pay attention to what he does to his Imps and remember them for your own. :wink:
Been meaning to do that one for ages.

Cheers
Col
Copycat :lol: :lol: , Works well though , as long as you keep the spring tab in place you can chop quite a lot out . Passengers sides a bit more complicated but not difficult
Formally known as " Noddy "
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Post by mikeyhearne »

still done nowt to the Nymph.
Still sitting where it rolled off my truck after the 2018 national
just has more leaves on it
:o :cry:
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
Bobbycham
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Bobbycham »

Friday is now a ,if l feel like cutting metal day, l will , only working generally four mornings .
So Imp wise l converted a batch of washer jets to take the larger style jets, ones l originally made them for were single jet plastic and they were all failing my testing so decided to scrap the idea of offering that style , coloured ones shown will more than likely be available , awaiting more test results.
So that was my Imp related work today
IMG_20200131_075822148.jpg

Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Had a partial sort out in garage , and decided to partially fit steering rack together
IMG_20200201_121950416.jpg
All seemed ok with operation by hand , no tight or loose spots,so good to fit, already one on the car at the moment , as l got vertually two of everything when l bought it.
Give it another wash out , fit a valve (NODS MODS) to end gaiter, load grease\oil , l'm going to use Land Rover swivel grease , copper slip track rods (nice stainless ones), and that's first job in front end reassembly

Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
yoeddynz
Club Member: No
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp with a Datsun A12 powerhouse.

Post by yoeddynz »

I tried to take a photo of the imp with the sun coloured all red, thanks to those pesky aussies sending their smoke over our way. It's been a weird day.. Pretty hot at 31 degrees but smoke haze making the sunshine on the ground red. Luckily the sea is just cold enough to take away the heat. Local Motueka River is lush right now too.

Crap phone photo...
20200202_195727.jpg
Refreshing river...
2020-02-02 20.52.14.jpg
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Post by mikeyhearne »

20200202_120516.jpg
I was bored so I made a new nymph...
It's blue and plastic so not far off the original .
:lol:
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Carried out Daves steering gaiter mod, punch hole in gaiter then glue in tyre valve stem for refilling if needed Thanks again Dave.
IMG_20200203_140351984.jpg
Also stripped stub axles
IMG_20200203_071240865.jpg
And lift & tilt car lift arrived :D :D

Bob
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

IMG_20200208_115637257_HDR.jpg
Tried out my new lift & tilt car lift , straight out of the box and used as is just for a try out , will be better to extend width out by one size but it looks to do the job l bought it for :D :D No engine in the car so just about basic shell lift
IMG_20200208_142329053.jpg
While l was at it l fitted one of the wheels that l intend starting with , happy with todays progress :D :D
Also filled steering rack with Landrover swivel grease .
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Nice one, Bob.

As for me, I undid a Jiffy bag which contained these two, courtesy of our resident all things rally spec manufacturer, Mike Dent. :D
DSC_1256.JPG
Andy G
jetmech

Post by jetmech »

Finished and tested the alternator conversion. It's only taken me 31 years to get around to it! I used an original spec alternator as I don't have any heavy load accessories and the car wiring is original. Fitted a Lucas fuse box in place of the old control box.
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

From a week and a half ago now, brought the last Imp parts home - a bodyshell is a part right?

As always I'm glad Imps are small and light - it was easy to lift the shell to get it on dollies to roll it to the trailer, easy to winch it on and even easy to winch it off (with a separate hand winch) using timber boards to slide on.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Been moving cars and racking around at the workshop and decided that what was needed was mobile benches so have made 4, two at 58" and two at 75".

These were done on the cheap using materials that were around, the racking is the old staging from the mushroom farm which are just over 4m long and bl***y heavy. these were cut in half, one part can be used as is but the other needs new legs welded on but as it's heavily galvanised needs to be well cleaned before welding. Bits of wood and OSB sheets as well as the tops from the old benches were used, the only parts that needed to be bought were the castors.

Much still to do to get it where I want but going to commit next week to the task.
IMG_20200301_112641.jpg
IMG_20200301_154915.jpg
IMG_20200301_154904.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Losing interest in all this tidying but seeing some results, many trips to the tip sorry recycling centre :o. Need to stop keeping all the bits that might come in handy :roll: but seldom get used.

Moved many £1000's of Imp panels. Sounds a lot but not really, just expensive :lol:

Floor area between the racking cleared and it all looks so much better.
IMG_20200307_123848.jpg
Scott
johnh875

Post by johnh875 »

Slapped together an engine box/trolley from some ply offcuts I had, which wasn't 100% ideal as the sides could have been 20mm longer but it still works. The base was only 5-ply but again I think it will do. You can see the screws holding the castors on, as I thought it was better space them wider for stability rather than put the screw protrusions 'inside' the box - if it becomes an issue I'll cut the ends off. Or perhaps I should do that before scratching my fingers on them...

A loose sump makes a perfect template for drilling holes to locate the sump studs. You might be able to see that the lip of the sump hangs over the right-hand end because the timber was a little bit short. I haven't added rope handles yet, also I'll do a couple more to store engines upright so will refine things for the next one.
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Further to my post about Lift & Tilt car lift , today l modified some of the extension pieces so that unit can be stored underneath the car in garage, the lift comes with three different widths available , it arrived with it set for its narrow setting , l modified the middle range by removing 70mm from the spacers , just need to make some more bits for it tomorrow .
It's a heavy piece of kit so didn't want it stood up against wall (garage is small enough without making it narrower)
IMG_20200406_152834003.jpg
IMG_20200406_152838993.jpg
The winding mechanism is wider than track of wheels but that's going at back of car .

Bob Imp005
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

tuk841 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:10 am Fixed the washer plunger that had done nada for some while!

I had lashed up a temporary elec pump some MoTs ago, but recently got a new, Mk3 washer pump/plunger from Bob at Imp spares. After fitting that, whilst the dash was out, it made no difference. Lots of air-sucking noises, but no water. Ho-hum

Popped a one-way valve in the output tube from the pump (towards the nozzles) last night and hey presto, working as if it had never stopped - marvellous.

There must be one as standard under the dash that had failed? not that I have ever noticed (there isn't one built in the pump) - as thinking about it, it was never going to work without one, as the pump will take the easiest option and suck air from the jets rather than pull water up from the depths...

New Jet replacement kits still available here .
IMG_20200131_075246461.jpg
These plus single jet chrome.

Bob
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

This :

Andy G
_20200508_171827.JPG
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

IMG_20200509_110338023.jpg
Fitted New shocks and springs followed by rest of pipe work etc, wishbone mounting plate and steering rack
Good day :D
Hope to get wishbones back on tomorrow and even better back on the deck

Bob
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Destroyed one rear trailing arm to save another
IMG_20200509_132222 (2).jpg
IMG_20200509_132240 (2).jpg
IMG_20200509_133444 (2).jpg
IMG-20200509-WA0001.jpeg
IMG-20200509-WA0003.jpeg
Running short of gas so will leave the welding until later but that's the hard work done.

Scott
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst »

Found time to spend all yesterday afternoon on the cars. ( some of us are still working)

On Imp I put passenger door card and pocket back on. The chrome trim on door was loose at front so replaced plastic clips with new ones
Checked tyre pressures and had to blow three up before firing up car for first time since the autumn.
Even with BMW power took a few turns of the key.
Car wouldn't go into gear as clutch plate stuck on. Re-starting car in gear with foot on clutch freed it off (any better way to do it?)
Moved car out on to drive so could work on Clan. I have single garage and Clan lives above Imp on a car hoist installed
SDC16986 (450x600) (2017_01_22 12_54_02 UTC).jpg
Clan engine needs changing and head already off. With hoist job is so much easier and soon had everything needed to get engine and box out except large bolt to rear mount sorted before calling it a day.

Went to put Imp back and found rear brakes seizing on so that's my next job sorted!

Need to get at least one car ready for when lock down lifted
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Teddie2003 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:24 pm
Peter Hurst wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 1:18 pm Moved car out on to drive so could work on Clan. I have single garage and Clan lives above Imp on a car hoist installed
SDC16986 (450x600) (2017_01_22 12_54_02 UTC).jpg
What make/size of car hoist is that or did you make the hoist yourself?

I copied him and bought the same hoist 6 years ago only in red and yellow. It's from china - the smallest/narrowest version specifically for classic cars. It will still take my Lotus Excel (just).

Mine cost about £1100 including delivery (6 years ago) - delivery is quite expensive IIRC. Would be lost without it now! :) Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Pulled out the suspension to see what I actually had and came across a combined manifold - Score :D
IMG_20200510_102720.jpg
IMG_20200510_151001.jpg
IMG_20200510_105239.jpg
IMG_20200510_101235.jpg
Scott
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

IMG_20200510_130025670.jpg
Got this far today , looked to be getting too windy to carry on , put car cover on with extra rope to hold it on

Bob Imp005
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Had a go at retrimming a Stiletto steering wheel myself and considering I dont do sewing and leather and the original was in tatters it does look sort of presentable again. :)
003.jpg
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Carrying on the theme of sorting through years of hoarding and turning the tat into ready to use parts, today was the turn of hubs/brakes.

Stripped them into their individual components ready to be cleaned and derusted before going through them and refurbishing them.

Surprising how many I could identify which car they came from - sad I know.
IMG_20200512_155013 (2).jpg
IMG_20200512_155056 (2).jpg
IMG_20200512_155107 (2).jpg
IMG_20200512_183340 (2).jpg
Scott
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Today I sewed up the brushed nylon material and recovered the drivers seat in Stan. It's the first serious sewing I've done since the age of 16 or so, and I used the Toyota machine passed onto me when me Julie bought a new one last year. I have 4 of the 7 pieces needed to redo the passenger side one, so as I'm now confident in my technique, I shall order the rest of the material next week.

Andy G
jetmech

Post by jetmech »

Finally got around to fitting a hazard lights unit. Very easy to install, no changes to the original wiring, just a couple piggyback connectors at the indicator switch and a permanent live, taken from the interior light circuit.
7E32AEE6-FFE8-4E55-97CB-495E8B4019BD.jpeg
Simon Imp004
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Today I completed the recovering of the passenger side seat in Stan. Took it out before lunch and put it back in half an hour ago. This side had a bit of surface rust on the seat frame, so I rubbed it down and applied some etch primer, just to keep it at bay. Went fairly well as a job, but probably hasn't been done in exactly the same way as the drivers side. Being a few weeks apart, I couldn't recall how I'd done it, so each is a journey into the unknown. :D

Andy G
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

It does take a bit of stretching to get it tight. I'm worried about longevity of my sewing, so I didn't pull as taught as I possibly could have. But it's saved me having to buy new seats, which I can't afford at the moment. I might get another 10 years out of these 8)

Andy G
jetmech

Post by jetmech »

Went for a local spin in the Imp today, stopped at the village sign on the way home.
A709E76D-FC16-43E6-8935-1A7A0D40C698.jpeg
andy
Car Model: 1964 Imp, 1971 Husky, 1965 AA Van

Post by andy »

Agreed to sell my Imp :-(

I have owned YAB since 2003 and loved it, as did Dom.
Great fun we have been all over the country including LEJoG
and Europe
Been off the road for a few years now and I realise I am not going to get round to restore it again or have the space to keep it. So it has to go :-(
Hopefully it will not long before its back in its former glory.

Andy
www.imps.me.uk
1964 Hillman Imp, 1965 AA Commer Van , 1971 Hillman Husky.
jetmech

Post by jetmech »

Today I went on a successful 43 mile test drive of my newly installed sport spec. engine, that I cobbled together using parts collected over several years. I used a standard L4 block, with new shells and piston rings and a 180 cylinder head that I sent to Reg Patten for overhaul. The carbs, exhaust and manifolds came from a scrap Stiletto in 1988, the distributor and oil cooler via eBay.
As an experiment I have modified the air box to take a cut down Ford Focus 2.0 Pipercross air filter.
Anyway, no oil leaks and the temperature was rock steady, although only about 6 miles was at speed, on the A14.
70E55EAF-B885-4C1A-9232-60A6736FB91D.jpeg
Simon Imp004
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Post by ganderson888 »

Checked levels, dusted it and painted the tyres ready for a run out after lunch
20200712_120305.jpg
Graham Anderson
Graham's Imp Spares
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Us too 8)
DSC_1437.JPG
See, is said they were chromey 😊

Andy G
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

DSC_1440.JPG
This would suggest that I have 50 minutes to remove and replace the rack, plus 1 hr 20 mins to tit about with it. 2 hrs 10 minutes then. I'll let you know how I get on, before sending you the invoice. :lol:

Andy G
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Suggest while you're about it Andy , Daves mod to fit yalve to end gaiter for filling or re filling with lubricant is worth doing.
IMG_20200203_140351984.jpg
Just a thought !
Here's one l did ,make hole in gaiter smaller that valve body ,insert valve body in gaiter and glue in place
(you don't have the valve inside silly).
I put mine to off side pointing slightly upward .
Interesting book Andy .

Bob Imp005
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Finally have this tool that I've been thinking about for a while and at half the original solution.
IMG_20200717_161304.jpg
IMG_20200717_161329.jpg
Anyone want to guess what it is.

Scott