Nods news , A fixorage happened

617sqn
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Re: Nods news , Its normal .

Post by 617sqn »

But that's exactly how mine works, Mike. And if you remove the blank rad cap from the radiator the coolant is at the very top. There would only be the minutest bit of air (if any at all) in the top in a line with the very top of the overflow pipe. Not much more than a thimble full. If that could have a detrimental effect, I'm a chinaman :lol:

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

Well in tests i have found the cap on my way there is a 00000.1 deg C temp drop :lol:

The reason i suggest it with pressure cap on the rad is the overflow pipe and bottle do not have to cope with system pressure. So can be any plastic bottle and use the basic overflow pipe you do not have to have a set up that will be pressurised when the engine is up to temp.
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

gr88 wrote:Evans waterless coolant is the biggest scam in the 21st century.

"during the cool down the coolant can be sucked into the cylinder"

your head gasket is goosed ! If a LIQUID can force its way into the cylinder with under 7psi of pressure ! (yes they claim no pressure)
A recent compression test , i got 155psi, far more likely for a gas to pass through, in combustion the cylinder is pressured many times more !

http://www.norosion.com/evanstest.htm

a study from america where the rubbish evans came from .... (yes its biased, as is evans and their expensive scam)

Image[/url

[url]

As you can see, the higher the glycol, the higher the heat not removed. With the imp and the Coventry school of radiator design (that'll do, the pubs open) and the imps history of poor cooling.....

Have you told your insurance ? a Ducati panigale rider changed his coolant to evans and the bike caught fire ! Insurance walked away ( modification not declared)
Another Ducati blew up and the evans non coolant had turned to jelly blocking the water pump.

Glycol is highly flamable in undiluted form, if some of evan uncoolant gets on your manifold fire will burn your vehicle. (there are over 20 evans related fires that are being investigated by insurance companies !

Good luck with your imp and its very poor pump, badly designed cooling system and all aluminium engine, i wouldnt use it lol
You are just regurgitating reports that are full of half truths and extrapolations of basic physics. I have read them all. I've generated my own data using Evans compared to water using experiments designed specifically applied to my cooling system. I'm a scientist trained in experimental design and data interpretation with 20 years teaching experience at Durham University - and I've learned how NOT to be 'the wisest fool in Googledom'.

The half truths (the true part) is that if you do a direct replacement of water coolant with Evans in an unmodified system then the differences in specific heat disadvantages a cooling system that was specifically flowed for water based coolant.

The fire stuff does not concern me at all. I have had 3 litres of Evans sprayed over the engine compartment including the combined Exhaust manifold (which does get hot due to the large valve overlap of my race cam) when I forgot to do up a hose on the pump. The worst part was the cost of replacement.

My system isn't std - it has been tweaked to account for the difference in specific heat and I don't run an Imp water pump.

Some of my data comparing the basic specific heat properties of Evans versus water is on here if you do a search. You can repeat the same experiment and see for your self using basic heating equipment (like an induction hob).

Do you own practical study (assuming you are trained in this type of work). Then show me YOUR data and your experimental design and I'll peer-review.

If you entirely rely on Professor Google for evidence, I'm duty-bound not to take your arguments seriously.

EDIT:
And if you DO want to continue a discussion on Evan's then start a new thread - this is Dave's readers car thread - only fair not to clog it up with stuff that won't interest him!
Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
moose

Post by moose »

I have never been able to make my mind up about EVANS. I prefer the idea of some pressure to pack the coolant onto the hot areas inside the engine. From all the info i have read and what i have learned is if there is the correct amount of pressure to allow the water to flow efficiently and keep it packed onto the back of the exhaust valve seats it will remove more heat and prevents localised boiling .
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

When I read about Evans, if it doesnt boil until 180C does that mean your engine could in fact be overheating and you dont know about it? Such as its running at 125C so will be seized up but the coolant still hasnt boiled up so shows nothing is wrong?

Not everyone has time to keep constant watch on the temperature gauge depending on whats going on with the traffic, which if theres a problem, can shoot up to the red in a few seconds, and without the steam or boiling noise coming from the back the engine could be ruined before before even you notice whats happened?

To me it seems ok as long as everything else remains good and ok?
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
yoeddynz
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp with a Datsun A12 powerhouse.

Post by yoeddynz »

This last page with the arguments over coolant.

Very interesting.

I was trying to insert a GIF of micheal jackson eating popcorn but couldnt work out how to do so. Not even sure if this forum platform, which dates back to 1812, can actually handle such a thing?
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Sorry guys, but I think no MOT is a very bad idea unless you have access to a ramp or pit and can make sensible inspections of the parts that you cannot ordinarily see. On top of that will be the fact you will make subtle changes to your driving to compensate for the inevitable deterioration occurring in all things mechanical. I personally have never thought this was a good idea - road tax is one thing. Mots quite another. You boys will be sympathetic to your cars : others won't and will take the cheap options.

Andy G
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

I dont really know what the real thinking behind not needing an MOT was, if they did think, but it happened? Its not normal, at least 50 % of folk wont pay for something if they dont have to, thats life.
When the tv license is got rid of how many will continue to pay for one because its the sensible thing to do?

For them to say you dont need one and then say but its sensible to have one is a contradiction of terms in my opinion, either you do or you dont, the laws are made up by government who wont give a definitive answer, wont commit one way or the other, which is exactly why we are in the mess with Brexit.

Then of course to complicate matters even more they throw in the term not substantially modified which is taken in a multitude of ways by whoever reads it, some reading into it as oh that doesnt apply to me when others think it does, again confusion as to what is the correct way to read it.

If say a car is on its standard suspension but its been made to work in excess of its normal design parameters, ie so low it needs cutting out to work then its substantially modified in my opinion but others read it as not because its still using the original parts? Its all a cock up really.

Sorry Noddy Ive drifted off on your thread again. :?
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Maybe Andy, but then if they do that they are saying yes you must have an MOT, and unless all towns have the congestion zone cameras fitted how will they know youve gone in, what happens if you live in the town centre, you cant have a classic unless its MOTd? the policing would be such that it would be easier just to put it back how it was, all vehicles need MOT and thats it.
They are advising you to get it done if you're going abroad in it anyway with Brexit looming as other countries might not allow you in without.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Exactly. So why did they bother ? It's never made sense. I famously ended up with a €50 fine on a trip through Belgium on our way to a Going Dutch weekend. And that was for not carrying my V5 document, one which, over here, it's suggested you NEVER carry in your vehicle ! And this while we are EU members. If you can already be banned here for emissions rules, based on the age/original technology of the vehicle regardless of current condition, then its a short step to bans/fines based on MOT status. And, just so you know, ANPR cameras are everywhere already - even in our local Morrisons, amenity tip, and town border. I got a letter last year from the Fuzz, having been reported for breaking the speed limit on a local downhill section of road at the very beginning of our neighbourhood, having just exited the motorway. And this was by basically amateur do-gooders out spying with a hair dryer. :shock: You'd have no chance of avoiding a fine for using your non-MOT'd car if the worse happens.

Andy G
RoyBlunt
Car Model: 1966 Hillman Super Imp

Post by RoyBlunt »

Apologies to Dave/Noddy for continuing the MOT/No MOT discussion here. I think that part of the justification for saying that cars older than 40 years don't need an MOT any longer was that many MOT testers & garages are just not capable of carrying out a proper MOT on older cars because the testers are not familiar with them any longer. The MOT requires (I think - can't remember the exact wording) that the vehicle meets the requirements and legislation in force at the time the car was built. This was brought home to me a few years ago when my usual MOT garage (where the two testers/owners are both classic enthusiasts) took on a third, much younger, MOT tester. When our Suzy went in for her MOT the usual tester took the new guy with him as they went around the car - pointing out that that various things that would be an advisory or a fail on a modern car were perfectly OK on a 1966 car. The phrase I remember is '...if you stripped it and rebuilt it with all new parts it would still feel like that...'.

Anyway I will continue to take Suzy & Nel (the Spitfire) for MOTs for as long as I can find someone who is capable of making a job of the MOT. Even if, sometime in the future, I can't find a suitable MOT station to do a proper MOT on them, I'd still want somebody to put the cars on a car lift once a year and have a good look around as well as putting them on the brake tester - if only for my personal peace of mind.
Roy Imp011
yoeddynz
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp with a Datsun A12 powerhouse.

Post by yoeddynz »

It would seem so odd to not take my car in for a check over by someone else- I love it when they find something I have missed. I fix it and then its safe/better. Everyone is happy. I have the use of our own hoist to throughly check things yet sometimes things get missed. However- most folk dont have access to easy viewing of under their car/nor possibly the time or knowledge. It just seems so daft to let cars, 1 ton mass of steel, on the roads with other users about and not have them checked for any issues.

Here in NZ the test is every 6 months for cars older then I think 5 years. I'd happily see that changed to one year though. Especially on old classics that dont see many miles.

The debate will go on...
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Re: Nods news , SU issues part two

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

I swear my two Imps talk to each other .
Tother week the SUs on the Vusky went a bit tits up.
Guess whats happened to the Singer . :shock: :o :roll:
OK so its only a leaky jet where it screws into the float bowl and for some totally unknown reason a piston is a bit sticky on the front carb but still ---- I wish the sodding things spoke a different language to each other .
Feckin things do my bonce in sometimes :roll: :evil:
Still its time to sort the Singers carbs out , twas the one nearest the rear causing all the issues . Piston was slightly sticky in one spot just above tickover , i changed the pot which solved that instantly although i cant see whats wrong with said pot . :o
Fuel leak turned out not to be the jet or its seal but the float chamber which has a damaged thread , luckily its easy to change that in situ so i fitted a spare i had plus a new jet and seal at the same time. :)
Easy fix come the end , just a few hours faffing about . I guess seeing as the carbs have been on over ten years and are basically made of spare bits i cant complain , a new set is £400 which i just dont have at present , however seeing as it seems OK again il live with it . :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formally known as " Noddy "
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , SU issues part two , now the Singer joins in

Plug colours after the Singers carb fiasco and a 10 mile non stop blast at 70MPH .
Engine temp 80˚C - Oil pressure 47 PSI , Plug colours as in pics , might richen the rear carb up a tad , tricky to tell when its this close .
Carb is leak free :D :D :D
All in all im a happy bunny again :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Re:

African Imp wrote: Nice job!

Dave did you consider leaving the main front of the car in place, as in the slam panel and the area below it, then just cut and shut in the two twin head lights?

I ask as it would be a possible future job for my 1967 Imp Californian, that would be if I can source the head lights and related parts? Imp027
No point because
A, The original front was accident damaged and rotten and B , I had the twin front panel here already , cut from a scrap Stiletto for £10. Technically the front wings are different for a twin headlight front but you can get away with it
, i had a new twin headlight front wing to fit at the same time
African Imp
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Post by African Imp »

Dave,

Thanks for your advice, regards, Roy Imp027
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Ive possibly done a world first :shock:
That is ive temporarily fitted a spare van / Husky dipstick to the Singer.
Main reason it stops me having to bend down so far to check the oil as my back is shot to shite although to be fair im not exactly a cripple quite yet , it also bl***y hurt fitting it - kind of counter productive for a while :roll: .
Also stops me whacking the coil every time I check the oil :lol:
It does clear the engine lid but only by 10mm - good enough for a short term fix :)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , Possible world first

Now all sprayed up seeing as its on the Singer i guess i need to make it look decent
617sqn

Re: Nods news , Possible world first - painted and refitted

Post by 617sqn »

Nice job as usual, matey. 8)

Andy G
moose

Post by moose »

Neat mod there Dave. Can you turn that king lead round please :lol:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Nope , king lead works fine like this :lol:
Anyway Sod the original painted dipstick brackets - Il make some from stainless instead - much better :)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

With everything now set up to optimum it seemed a great idea to reference mark the carbs and timing for future reference and as a set up guide :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Heater off , Air con on :lol:
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

How do you stop your Air-con system from rattling, Dave ?

Andy G
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

617sqn wrote:How do you stop your Air-con system from rattling, Dave ?

Andy G
Heres the damper , its about 1mm longer than needed so its in permanent contact with the window catch , Once hooked onto the window catch slight upwards pressure is required to get the other end to line up with the lock catch ( about 5mm at the base ) , its this slight upwards pressure that prevents any movement - or rattles - it really is silent :)
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

I now have a van/husky extended dipstick, courtesy of Mikey Hearne (with 2 "E" s). I will attend to its paintwork/plating in due course. Got other fish to fry....

Andy G
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

I'm sure it is : when I was looking at Trevor Woods van engine, the dipstick tube seemed to be an obvious route, and far better than routing about among the ht leads and such like to check the oil, that I instantly wanted to do it on Stan. You beat me to it by a day or so. Great minds etc. I'm not too enamoured with the Heath Robinson dipstick mind. It looks like bodge job, so I might produce something different.

Andy G
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

I thought about comparing the Imp dipstick with a modern : I can try my MG V6 or my Astravan ones. Perhaps I can find a better alternative :D

Andy G
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

I remember there used to be an accessory you could buy back in the 60s where you pulled out a knob on the dash and if the colour showed green you were ok if it was red you needed to top the oil up, you never even had to lift the bonnet. I appreciate on an IMP you would need something like the north sea pipeline to reach the engine, but it was quite a good idea, and yet today things havent improved,we still have the old fashioned dipstick, which more often than not is hard to read.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Well I have been working on the new second hand dipstick tube and found that there was a slight split up near the top bracket. So I decided to solder it up. Oops. :shock: the brackets are soldered on ! So I've decided to use the dipstick as a template and make an aluminium one from scratch. :roll:

Andy G
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Funny how a few paint problems ( some cracking ) can turn into respraying most of the front wing :roll:
Paint reactions on the old paint meant most of it had to come off . done the stripe as its easier to mask just this than the whole wing when top coating .
Il do this in the next few days when the primers hardened off.
This wings been hit which doesnt help , well before i got it though :roll:
The Nun

Re: Nods news , Some bodywork.

Post by The Nun »

Ideal weather for spraying though, good job it's not metallic.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Didnt turn out so good , i missed a slight dent :cry:
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

A bit like bubbles in wallpaper ..you see every one of them in glorious 3D just after doing the job.

All amounts to patina after a while.

I'm firmly in the drive it and embrace the patina camp. :D Clan004
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Wing / paint repair part 2 , After its stolen another 7 hours of my life it looks and feels so much better , Tricky to photograph though :roll:
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Looking good, hope the top coat is as good.

Scott
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Not 100% perfect but good enough for me , the rest of its not exactly perfect so it blends in well :D
Il leave a week or so to harden off then refit the stainless trim , ive got new genuine clips and the studs / nuts for this
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Perfectionist! :o :lol:

Also, I wish my back yard was as tidy as yours! :)

Nice one. Clan004
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

So much for Fiesta track rod end covers , pulled the drivers side wheel off for a clean up after the wing job only to be greeted this . :evil:
Barely a year old . I had some new covers in stock as it happens so just changed them .
Even so thats feckin crap if you ask me :roll: :evil:
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Pattern part ?

Andy G
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Front wing is finished at long last :D
617sqn

Re: Nods news , Some bodywork - done and finished

Post by 617sqn »

Pukka airgun or rattle cans, Dave ?

Andy G
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Easy........ :shock:

Andy G
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

617sqn wrote:Easy........ :shock:

Andy G
I wish :roll:
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

I meant "easy" as in "be careful". It sounded a bit double entendre :lol:

Andy G
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Manky engine bay cleanathon part one
Mainly the inside of the engine lid which had 20 plus years of shite on it :shock: in fact i think it was last cleaned properly in 1995 :shock:
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Re: Nods news , Engine bay cleanathon

Post by bks974c »

Lovely and clean, too nice to use.

Scott
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , Engine bay cleanathon

Not done much to this apart from a level one diagnostic ala Star Trek in place of the MOT , Greased king pins , adjust brakes , fit new fuel filter , top stuff up etc etc .
Running perfectly although i did try a sport spec dizzy on it instead of the standard 41122 one it has , the general thought is a sport cam should have a sport dizzy . Well although it ran OK it wasnt as good so i soon reverted back. these things have to be tried now and again :lol:

A pic taken outside work. As an aside work have by mutual beneficial agreement ( not a takeover ) now have Brise electronics ( now called Carwood Brise ) so special alternators may get developed in future :) i have one partially developed already :wink:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , Level one diagnostic

Ive been informed that SUs dont like a lot of advance , no idea if its true or not but my engines bare this out :)
The Nun

Re: Nods news , Level one diagnostic

Post by The Nun »

Cars exactly the time are often very different, we had pool cars at work all exactly the same but some seemed to really shift and others seemed sluggish by comparison, they were all new so you couldn't say they were worn out, what's OK for one doesn't mean it will be right for another, just use the info as a starting point and go from there? Also temperature can affect performance quite a bit depending on when the cars tried, they go a lot better when its cool moist air in the evening than they do in 30 degree midday sunshine.