Nods news , A fixorage happened

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: ,n/a

Re: Nods news , Carb undertray choppage

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

All sprayed up and fitted properly :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formally known as " Noddy "
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Nice work Dave.

Scott
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Singers Top Trump card as I see it :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Re: Nods news , Made up Top trump card

Post by 617sqn »

Did Tomas Tom grass you up to the fuzz ? Or.... Was it on a private road/runway ? :lol:

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , Playing my trump card

Well Im still not 100% happy with the millboard back panel in the boot , even though i fitted various bits to force it straight it still warped a bit only this time bowing out in the middle .
A radical rethink was needed and jumped at me at work by finding some different kind of board .
Its tricky to say what it is exactly but its some kind of flexible glass reinforced polyester laminate . 1.6mm thick , VERY pliable both ways , VERY easy to cut and straightens out after considerable bending was applied by me , its also 150˚C proof - the only problem is its sand coloured
Anyway i cut a new back board from it , sprayed it satin black and fitted it in
Time will tell if the paint sticks OK but it certainly wont warp no matter how hot / damp it gets :)
617sqn

Re: Nods news , Boot revamp -- yet again again

Post by 617sqn »

Nice one, Dave. I recently bought a special pre-filled spray can from my local automotive paint dealer. It was a special hard wearing concoction for repainting plastic car switch buttons. That might do for future use perhaps ?

Andy G
John Simister
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto 1968

Post by John Simister »

This stuff might work, too – it's a textured black paint intended for restoring vinyl dashboards and the like. I used it on the Rover P6 I recently owned and it worked very well.

https://www.frost.co.uk/paints-coating- ... rosol.html
Member number 6. First Imp bought in 1972, 10 more between then and 2019. Currently Impless.
bornagain-imp
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp Deluxe

Post by bornagain-imp »

That looks really nice 8)
must get round to doing mine, down to 2 clips now need an alternative fixing :roll: :D

Rod Imp003
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

I looked at the invoice, but all it says is "Plastic coating spray can - Dark Grey £8.95". Sorry .... :oops:

Andy G. Image Stan
yoeddynz
Club Member: No
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp with a Datsun A12 powerhouse.

Post by yoeddynz »

Looking very neat in there. I note you have re-wired your loom to include fuses. I plan on doing the same.. although not with as many fuses. You have many there but then again compared to a modern car its few.

Hmmmmmm re-wiring old cars. Some people hate it but I just love the way I can really let my ocd tendencies flow when planning and executing a neat wiring setup :-)
[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

yoeddynz wrote:Looking very neat in there. I note you have re-wired your loom to include fuses. I plan on doing the same.. although not with as many fuses. You have many there but then again compared to a modern car its few.

Hmmmmmm re-wiring old cars. Some people hate it but I just love the way I can really let my ocd tendencies flow when planning and executing a neat wiring setup :-)
I like wiring as well , very therapeutic , theres one more fuse box out of shot , in total theres three in the boot and one in the engine bay , total fuse count is 19 , everything is fused apart from the battery to solenoid main battery cable :lol:
the two main ones are permanent live ( 6 way ) switched live ( 8 way - one unused ) , this is split fed so three things will work in the auxilary position and the remaining only with ignition live - things like the fuel pump dont need to work in auxilary and besides if sat listening to the radio the last thing you need is a stalled electric fuel pump
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Engine bay fuse box is just a 4 way one , this is also split fed , one fuse protects the supply to the 6 way permanent fuse box up front and the other a separate supply wire that feeds the ignition switch , brake lights are fused here as is the engine bay light , fuse box is visible just behind the solenoid
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

At the risk of posting the same thing up twice and boring folk to death heres whats behind the boot trim panel , the rectangular black box with 6 nuts poking out does have a cover fitted , just not in this pic ( its the wash / wipe control )
:)
yoeddynz

Re: Nods news , reply for yoeddynz ( although anyone can loo

Post by yoeddynz »

Thanks for the pics and explanation Dave. I'm noting down ideas.... :-)

Yeah engine bay lights are great. Many Japanese cars from the 70's and 80's, especially Datsuns, would have a neat little engine bay light neatly tucked away but point right where you need it. However- if you needed light elsewhere the unit could be pulled out and was on a long lead! A great touch and such a simple thing.

Back to wiring- I had a great time wiring up the Megasquirt ECU I built for my Viva. I used a pair of kitchen drawer rollers to mount it on so it could roll out of the way under the dash...

[https://oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/28896-was-yoeddynzs-1968-viva-mazda-v6-new-owner-welcome-guzzi-rat/
yoeddynz

Post by yoeddynz »

I have a string dislike for those blue and red crimp fittings! They look horrible and they dont seal the fittings. So I use non insulated terminals, crimp them, solder them (belt and braces) and then cover with black heat shrink :-)

OCD moi?...
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

yoeddynz wrote:I have a string dislike for those blue and red crimp fittings! They look horrible and they dont seal the fittings. So I use non insulated terminals, crimp them, solder them (belt and braces) and then cover with black heat shrink :-)

OCD moi?...
yeh me too :roll:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , Oil pressure gauge pipe re-route

Not done a lot to the Singer of late but this evening i have managed to re-route the oil pressure gauge pipe .
Ive not been happy at the angle it came out the block fitting and wanted it to come out straight and not bent / stressed .
Problem has been my right angled adaptor had a tapered thread so it tightened where it tightened and therefor the angle wasnt really adjustable .
Anyway i finally found a non taper right angle that locks with a nut and with a seal under said nut so the angle is now variable .
This also made use of the previously redundant clips on the bulkhead :)
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming
Car Model: Imps and Clans

Post by Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming »

Andy G[/quote]
True but its still a cheap idea ( for even a cheap car ) :)[/quote]

a cheap to produce idea, requiring no special tools to remove unlike todays cars that will last 15 years if lucky and we call it progress!

at least our ground breaking car doesn't share its oil with its gearbox and always came with wind up windows despite being a cheap car
:D :D :D :D
Keith
Dorset ACO
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: Nods news , Oil pressure gauge pipe re-routed

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

OK. l can see them now.
I don't know why I could only see links a moment ago.
I'm wanting a 90 degree elbow too, So pictures are handy!

:D Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , Oil pressure gauge pipe re-routed

Just fitted the trial in tank fuel filter in the Singer sent to me by Bob Picton ( bobbycham on here ) . Should stop any crud once and for all .
Its held in place by the very strong round magnet .
Thanks for trusting me testing this :D
Good to go I recon :)
TOP BLOKE
Lotus-e-Clan

Re: Nods news ," In tank fuel filter " from bobbycham fitted

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Ah! I see.

S'pose the fuel will run out a tad early given the shoulder on the magnet ..need to test for that obviously! :)

Clan004
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Ah! I see.

S'pose the fuel will run out a tad early given the shoulder on the magnet ..need to test for that obviously! :)

Clan004
I think it will run out before it runs out but not by much , without chopping a tank up or measuring it its tricky to tell
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

John Ross has one fitted and the tanks coming out tomorrow , hes going to try and measure the difference - TBH if the fuel got that low youd probably stop going up a hill :lol:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , Back to the gauge pipe

Having changed the oil pressure gauge pipe block fitting and re-routed the gauge pipe is was pointed out the clips " could " wear through the pipe in time so this morning ive sorted this out ,
The original bottom clip was too small ( still no idea what it was for ) so ive replaced it with a slightly larger one then sleeved the pipe where the clips hold it .
Also did the three tabs that hold the wiring in place .
In case you wish to do the same I used the rubber sleeves removed from single bullet connectors slit length wise for the oil pipe and the double ones ( i just slid the rubber sleeve off ) for the tabs :)
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Re: Nods news , Back to the oil gauge pipe .

Post by The Nun »

Thing is they didnt seem to bother about it might wear away on the original installation, as that was just held using the loom securing tabs to hold it in place, and it never seemed to wear away, just went brittle with time and then broke off at the engine connection.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

In other news the Singers running perfectly and having done 40 odd miles the new angled gauge fitting appears to be leak free . :D
Thats about it Singer wise for this year although i will of course carry on using it as often as possible .
If anything does get changed / altered / modded / broken il post it on here as usual .
And of course il report on anything re. the new tank filter and Mikes ignition system .

Have a pic from Yesterdays trip out to the Bristol classic car show, :)
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Dave, I just caught up on your wonderful thread. Keep up the brilliant work! Your cars are an inspiration! :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

If you mean the oil pressure gauge is taken off the PUMP oil gallery (above picture) which is located PRE-filter, then the readings will be up to 7psi higher when hot (and 14 psi higher when cold) compared to a take off from a gallery which is located post-filter (like the centre main bearing or head gallery take off).

In other words there is typically a (hot) pressure drop of 7 psi across a modern cartridge filter using 20w/50 oil (probably less with the larger pore original filters in above picture).

The preset oil pressure relief value needs to be accounted for when assessing max pressure - but not idle pressure obviously.

If you wanted to fool a purchaser that the hot idle oil pressure is healthier than it really is, then you might use a pre-filter take-off point ...
Clan004
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Bought some new check strap stuff from ebay , 1 1/4 X 4mm Balata strap .
Really strong stuff - well happy :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , New check straps fitted+tank filter update

And now back to the in tank filter I fitted from Bobbycham .
There has been a few comments and worries on wether the extra height of the magnet and filter means you run out before you actually run out if that makes sense .
Some testing has been done and the difference in useable fuel is less than 1/2 a litre , in other words you will run out less than 1/2 litre sooner than normal and maybe loose a few miles total range .
Lets face it if your running that low you fully deserve to grind to an uncompromising stop anyway :lol:
Checking filter in and tank out the filter is covered with just a litre of fuel , mainly because the centre base of the tank is lower anyway .
Most gauges show empty with a few litres still in . It has too otherwise the float would hit the bottom of the tank and jam up and lets be honest they are hardly accurate down to a few millilitres :roll: .
Ive noticed no difference in fuel supply , my leccy pumps not working any harder or sounding stressed by the extra filter .
Its also been reported to me that another car that did have fuel issues whereby crap being held over tank exit pipe until vac released caused it to stop . Apparently none so far since fitting and a complete success in curing these fuel issues without having to pull a tank and blast/clean/coat it !
So is this worth it
Id say most certainly it is , it also keeps the main pipe clear which has caused numerous issues in the past on many Imps .
Basically its passed my and others testing and is recommended :D
Lotus-e-Clan

Re: Nods news , New check straps fitted+ tank filter update

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I'll have one too. ~1/2~ litre less fuel tank capacity within 27 litres total is no big deal. That last 1/2 litre will contain concentrated 'fines' that you don't want through your fuel pipe anyway!
Clan004
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Post by oli »

After fitting the anti slosh valve in the filler neck for when I'm competing, I think I would have one of those filters too. (Any small fines / rust would stick to the magnet and be easy to remove too).

Let me know when you have a price for the kit.

Oli
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Boring tiny Singer update number 27 .
As the washers and wipers are now interlinked a new switch label was needed
Instead of just screen washers ive gone for a symbol saying both :)
End of boring update :lol:
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Re: Nods news , Tiny Boring update , new bit fitted.

Post by The Nun »

The stainless strip on the parcel shelf is also an addition isnt it?
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

Never boring Dave. :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Seeing those pic's (lovely) , isn't or shouldn't there be a particular side that number plates are fitted when not central to vehicle.
Not being finicky am l?

Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Well the Singer is 19,721 days old - or 54 years if you want to make it easier and is now the same as me for a short time
Im sure the shell was built and painted weeks or maybe months before as the body number is well over 1000 higher than the chassis number so its really just an assembly day and the day it actually came a whole car .
The odds of any car surviving this long is slim let alone still having its original sills and arches and a fair bit of original paint .
:o
Bobbycham

Re: Nods news , Singers getting older.

Post by Bobbycham »

Don't remember that scene in Ice Cold in Alex, or Carry On Cleopatra. :lol:

Bob Imp005
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Don't forget Weston Super Mares just a stones throw away, but can't see any mud ,so doubt it's there!
The first picture shows you could have jet washed your drive Dave , not just the car. :lol:

Bob Imp005
tiker
Car Model: stiletto restoration

Post by tiker »

Hi Dave cars still looking great better with age , I was wondering about the body number should all cars have one or was it just early ones mines a 68 and couldn't find a number where is it supposed to be?
Gary
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

My fave shot at the same location
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

The body number plate , On this one its 1300 or so higher than the chassis number . I believe it was for production use only and theres no reference to this number in any parts list etc :)
It nearly fell off one end a few years back - hence the new pop rivets . BTW They were fitted with pop rivets in the factory :o
No idea what LNS means - id guess Linwood for the L but as for tother two ive no idea
Or maybe its LN for Linwood and the S is for Singer :!: :idea: :idea: :idea:
African Imp
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Post by African Imp »

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane wrote:The body number plate , On this one its 1300 or so higher than the chassis number . I believe it was for production use only and theres no reference to this number in any parts list etc :)
It nearly fell off one end a few years back - hence the new pop rivets . BTW They were fitted with pop rivets in the factory :o
No idea what LNS means - id guess Linwood for the L but as for tother two ive no idea
Or maybe its LN for Linwood and the S is for Singer :!: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Thanks for posting the image of the plate, all of my recent Imps had a similar one, when I asked what the plate and its markings meant I was advised they were in house factory info and not related to the chassis and engine number? Imp027

My car is the coupe, the letters are not indicating that?

The Californian was a known export car, did the letter B state this?
tiker

Re: Nods news , Singers getting older. Body number plate

Post by tiker »

Yes I have this plate I mistakenly thought it was stamped into the body , thank you for the explanation
Gary
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Fired up the Singer this morning and it ran well , Mike Dents ignition system is deffo the best available :) , also put some closed cell 2mm foam on the back of the boot back board , might help with noise reduction and at least it makes it neater - not that its visible :lol:
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

Always something to do. Glad the ignition is still working as it should, i have not had one failure yet on any system i have installed one imp member has installed it on his car and it ran for a bit and then stopped, he has been to busy to update me with further details about the car but the last messsage was can the car come to me to sort it and the brakes and the suspension etc so i am guessing there is an underlying fault with the car or the way the kit has been fitted. I have adapted the kit now to suit Triumph dolly sprint, mini's, MGB, Pre-crossflow, crossflow and looking at more. sorry to hi jack thread.
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
tiker

Post by tiker »

Just checked, mines LNB and it's not an export it could mean coupé style body ?it also a good bit higher than the chassis number
Gary
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

It must be a Pressed steel identity tag so they know what model its going to be , trim , export model etc . Still dont know exactly what the letters mean.
I
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Hope you all had a great time, Roy. Keep on Imping ! 8)

Andy G
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Nods news , Year end report

Well another years almost gone . Nods news had 18 pages added this year - a few more than previous years even though less has happened .
Lots of stupid odd bits done but I guess the main bits were ----
Sorting the rot on the NSR wing .
Fitting and testing Mike Dents ignition system
Fitting the wipe / wash interlink .
Fitting a new rad .
And finally fitting and testing Bobbychams in tank filter .
Nout much went wrong , no grenading of bits , no fires and no breakdowns :D
Using the Singer as part of a wedding was rather cool i must say .
Basically a smooth OK kind of year Singer wise .
Thanks to all who have contributed :D