Dream Spaceframe build

wiskid
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Dream Spaceframe build

Post by wiskid »

If you were to build a spaceframe Imp from scratch what spec/equipment would you use?
I have a coupe frame in mind with nothing existing but the frame which was in use in the 70s I think, would the tubes be the correct spec for the MSA Blue Book now? It would have a BMW engine as the Imp engine is now so expensive to be competitive, but everything else goes.

Imp003 Clan004
colin rooney
Club Member: Yes

Re: Dream Spaceframe build

Post by colin rooney »

Hi i have a jig for a maguire spaceframe as i made it from an original , to be able to race it in modern times as its a fresh build you have to use moden sized roll cage material , in fact im building another chassis and im looking at fitting a k series but using a hewland gearbox

col
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 »

Hi Col,

so if you are going hewland, will the K series be mid-engine with the box at the back then?

Steve
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

yep that way easy access to the gear ratios
brakedisc
Car Model: Clan Crusader, Sunbeam Imp Sport

Post by brakedisc »

All about the regulations......Read them, understand them if you can and come up with a design that gives you some fun.

I would go for as little steel as possible in the spaceframe, alloy extruded sections for side and front protection and as much carbon as you can afford.

Got to be a bike engine......up to 1400 sports libre is a common class which limits your choice of engine and clothe it all in as small an Imp based shell in carbon that you can get away with.

Needs to be about 350kg with over 200bhp to be competitive. A tough ask I know but that is what the law of physics suggests you will need. :D

One final thing.......get rid of a swing axle front end.
wiskid
Club Member: No
Car Model: .

Post by wiskid »

The spaceframe I was thinking of was for sprints and hill climbs only and not necessarily going for class wins, just the thrill of competing again as the road going Clan seems to have been vetoed out of contention. So cheap and cheerful.
Imp003 Clan004
brakedisc
Car Model: Clan Crusader, Sunbeam Imp Sport

Post by brakedisc »

Spaceframe Imp would surely be in the sports libre class. Clan would be the same so why not make it comply with the rules and go and have some fun. Who knows if one Clan appeared perhaps others would follow. :D