VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Re: VAK 1972 Clan Crusader

Post by bks974c »

Bores are perfect, mirror finish not even a scratch may just a little over size.

What your probably seeing is the reflections :roll:

Looks like a set of 73mm pistons required and good to go.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

With Bo'ness Revival - Classic Car Show and Hillclimb this weekend - http://www.bonessrevival.co.uk/

I need to finish the engine rebuild and get it installed.
IMG_20180827_120356.jpg
IMG_20180827_120400.jpg
Getting the head on when well, I knew one of the shims needed changing as I had checked clearance before dismantling - No. 4 inlet 5 thou rather than 7 then I couldn't find my new digital micrometer :evil: Must still be a home :o

Resorted to filing the existing shim and refitting, still tight so removed the cam and carrier again. One of the buckets stayed behind as they do and I see this.
IMG_20180827_140408.jpg
On number 4 - related to the other issues ? very possibly. The camshaft (R21) is unmarked -perfect infact

Close inspection of the others reveals two with what appears to be a couple of tiny pits.
IMG_20180827_140416.jpg
Looked at some others I had to hand reveals the pits are quite common :shock:

So game over for today as I need buckets from home, rather than changing individual buckets I think the best solution is to fit another cam carrier and its matching buckets fortunately I have said item although this will undoubtedly mean re-shimming :(

Plus the micrometer not in the house :evil: hey ho tomorrow is another day.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Bum.

Are they Cosworth steel buckets (expensive)? :o

Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I've used std cast bucket sets with their respective carriers for different cams -never had a broken bucket - nor an eroded pot-holed one either so I've been lucky. I've never mixed std used buckets mind you. I've used std buckets revving way beyond 9000 rpm - about 11000 on one occasion in first gear (R17 Chesman 998) - during red mist attacks as a youth!

I think Pete Richards has mixed std buckets IIRC - hopefully he'll be along soon to put that one straight.

The Clan currently has Cosworth steel buckets (previously used) which have seen service with both an R20 and a GB72. The only issue I've had with these is shortly after swapping the R20 for a GB72 with a dodgy lobe....its case-hardening seem to have broken down resulting in a scored bucket ....like so.

I replaced the damagd bucket with a brand-new cozzy one ..and haven't looked at the buckets since ... wow -just noticed that's 10 years ago :shock: (see photo date)

Foot note: when I used std bucket in a high revving engine it was with comp springs and hardened valve collets - AC told me the collets pulling through at high rpm was the major issue...also only used pukka machine shop shims - not DIY adjusted ones. Clan004
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 »

As has been said I've used mixed standard buckets with no problems. I do, however, chamfer the leading edge as recommended by Andy Dawson.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Found the micrometer, where I first looked - on the bench but sitting in a folded magazine :oops:

Replaced the buckets and chamfered the edges to match the existing ones, the rechecked the clearances. Good news the exhaust was OK and the inlet a little tighter so with the found micrometer measured the shim and calculated I needed a 93 thou shim, pulled a shim from the box and by golly it's a 93 :D. Felt like I had won a medal :D

Bolted everything up and set about the cam timing, 135 thou at TDC no problem getting the phase right as it runs lost spark 8)
It took a couple of goes to get it spot on but thought I'd double check my figures as using a metric dial gauge - bother I was working to 3.3mm should have been 3.43mm so time to restart again. Balance once more restored to the universe :lol:

Loaded up the valve gear with engine assembly lube and refitted cam cover.
IMG_20180828_134534.jpg
Fitted a new spigot bearing, clutch plate and cover and bolted on the transaxle.
IMG_20180828_153134.jpg
Now fitted, ready to finish connecting everything tomorrow.

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Reconnected the bits and bobs of the Clan, filled the oil cooler and pipes and primed the system via the oil pressure switch hole then spun it over with the plugs using a slave battery via the Anderson plug. Oil pressure came up quickly to 50psi :D

Now I was sure there were no issues with that side, I refitted the plugs, fuel system and exhaust and went for the restart - fired and ran instantly :D :D :D and I mean instantly :D

Now for the cooling system, topped up and started it again and the temp comes up quickly , too quickly so switched off and let it cool down then tried again. Its the same problem I had after fitting a new clutch a month ago, it's air locked but the system is well designed to self bleed but its not even flowing around the engine. Its running a 930 water pump so removed the temp sensor it has on the back (not used) and the air is expelled :shock: . Might modify it to include a bleed valve as that's twice now its been a problem.

Changed the wheels and got it back on the deck and drove it outside and loaded onto the trailer but there was a metallic clunk on changing gear :o. Took it home and after my tea unloaded it and went for a wee run or not, Motorway closed overnight and diversion route is our main road so turned around and went home. The clunk was still there and now I remember that the engine mount to body bolts are still to be tightened :oops:

As I'm loading the trailer with the green Octavia, Amy comes out to asks if I want a cuppa and says what you doing ? tell her I've brought the Clan home and taking the Octavia away and mention the loose bolts and quick as, she says you good at that :roll:
referring to the one and only time I left one of her sisters Sunbeam Sport wheels loose :lol: never going to be allowed to forget that one.

From the little I driven so far it seems very smooth and responsive, time to get it run in - after tightening the bolts :wink:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Tightened the engine mounting bolts, added some fuel and took it for a run.

Water temp good, oil pressure excellent, pulls nicely with no issues but the clunk is still there - so not the mounting :(
clutch release bearing (vw roller type) a little noisy but it was before but didn't have another to hand - will order up a couple for stock.

Back home check it over and I think its coming from the diff either the Quaife ATB itself or excessive backlash :evil:

After tea took it for another loop, loving the engine, hate the knocking. Tomorrow going to drain the oil and remove the inspection plate and check it over.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Always something niggly in one area to spoil the perfection found in another. :|

I know how you feel - I've loved the urge of the 1040 but have been annoyed by the release bearing 'clack' at idle. :x

But my stupidness has forced me to begin removing the engine today - which is half-out atm - all because I dislodged the clutch release roller bearing clips by pressing the rod into the slave in an attempt to clear sticky hydraulics! The roller housing has always 'clacked' at idle because it's too top heavy compared to the carbon race ..so once it's out I'll try a proper fix - maybe a retaining spring will stop it clacking?

Mind you I'm thinking of popping the spare 875 Sport engine in for a while so I can refresh the 1040 - it's been in the Clan for well over ten years and the valve guide clearances were at the edge of tolerance from the get go. I've put a few 1000 miles on it going up and down the A1 to Durham come rain or shine ...or snow! Part of me thinks the 875 Sport (with DHLAs) plus close ratio box would be a hoot - and part of me says don't be daft - fit the std box! :? But now my A1 commutes are history - back lanes beckon so keeping the CR box installed maybe not so daft! :D
Clan004
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

OK will do. Charging up the SLR as I write ..don't have a smart phone! :)

A few things on JO J490N have changed which are probably worth posting-up in pictures: - rear lights - a complete change of style (inc sequential rear indicators). front lights - pod change again (still not normal -but more so than before). Electric 3-way valve in laminova cooling circuit - plus more front spoiler cut-outs for cooling. Front suspension stiffened and wheel arch liners added to rear to compliment rear floor aero-panels. Yep, s'pose there could be a bit of interesting content there -if only to take the p out of. :lol:
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

IMG_20180831_132559.jpg
After inspecting the diff via the inspection plate and not seeing anything definitive I decided to err on the side of caution as the box is rare and expensive and change it for a standard one - refurbed at the same time as the former.

Removing it went well having learnt a few things pulling it last time, such as removing the oil cooler along with the hoses means no oil lose. Transferred the ancillaries for the transaxle across taking the opportunity to change the CRB.
IMG_20180831_135337.jpg
Getting it back in was problematic as I has chosen to do the work at the door as it was a lovely sunny day. however the floor slopes to a drain here which the issues with equipment rolling away, another pair of hands would have been handy but eventually got it in and fairly straight forward reattaching everything.
Bleed the waterpump so cooling system refill went better this time around.

Test drive time and the clutch bearing noise is gone :D however the clunk still there :?
Since its unlikely two gearboxes with the same problem it must lie else where, I'm thinking it has to be either the driveshaft UJ's although I inspected them on the car and all seems good and iirc the noise was there before the driveshaft but nowhere near as bad or the modified gearbox mounts :?

Tomorrow try changing the mounts for standard ones.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Deviated from the plan :o I got the Clan up on axle stands and could replicate the noise by bringing the clutch up to biting point with the handbrake on and the whole car loaded up - drivers side rear dropped and n/s front rose up and when you depressed the clutch - bang.

You could see the doughnuts compressing and as they unwound you would get the noise which appeared to come from the diff area which convinced me that it was the modified driveshafts so changed them for a set of std sport shafts and comp couplings.
In my head I could even explain why :oops:

The result - exactly the same :( The positive side is I've ruled out two components.

Couldn't face getting it back on the axle stands to change the gearbox mounts so reattached the gutter trim that had come off at the National due to the heat and washed it ready for Bo'ness tomorrow.

I'll give the mounts a go sometime during the week.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

This was the problem with mine.

Are yours the same design?

bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Peter

Slightly different but same idea, will post up some pics.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

IMG_20180906_120033.jpg
IMG_20180906_120041.jpg
Peter

As you can see the issue with the crossmember bolts is not an issue as it uses a stud however instead of tapping the upper half it uses a bolt with the head reduced in thickness which is causing the issue when it contacts the crossmember.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Aha!

We need a hybrid design of the two!

You've given me new hope for mine - replace the crossmember bolt for a stud like yours - then I guess I need to slot the crossmember mounting hole?

God knows why yours didn't have the bush bolt tapped? I got mine from moose a long time ago - before you got yours IIRC . They are a good idea but the design needs optimisation a tad.

Thanks for posting the pics - I wouldn't have thought about a stud solution otherwise! I've been stuck in a thinking rut! :lol:
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Yesterday had a further play with the engine mounts as I found the standard gearbox mount was just touching an addition crossmember mounting bolt which was causing the transfer of sound.

Moved the engine and box backwards away from the bolt head which brought the fan belt very close to the engine mount - infact after today's run to Scone it does touch but will address that problem next time the alternator is removed.

The result silence - well OK that's an exaggeration but so much better and a much more pleasant place to be. :D

Today we joined 15 Imps and a midget at Scone for the http://www.svtec.org/ show, another excellent day and able to hold a conversation on the trip.

Scott
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

Scott you have my MK2 design which looking at the pictures i have set you up to fail by assembling them the wrong way round! the tube is off set, the slimmed down bolt head needs to go to the short side of the tube, i will call you later to explain. So sorry about that but we can put it right, i have made another production change thanks to your feed back and use cap heads, so after out call i will sort you out some bolts. LEC if you want some improved mounts get in touch.

Regards mike
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Ah I think I see what's happened now.

The carriers on my Mk1 design are thicker to allow tapping for the bush set screw - but the thicker-walled bush carrier affords too little clearance - hence my bush housing touched the carrier as they 'settled' in-service...hence very noisy so I swapped them for std mounts.

Scott's Mk2's have thinner-walled carriers (untapped) with more internal clearance than the Mk1 but are assembled the wrong way around so Scott will have had to assemble the bush on the crossmember with the off-set the wrong way around which has the knock-on effect of pushing the whole transaxle rearwards.

With the transaxle pushed backwards the driveshafts would be out of true too (not inline with the hub carriers!) If Scott didn't notice he might have had premature doughnut failure due to driveshaft misalignment fore and aft. I guess he noticed the transaxle displacement and the slotted crossmember mounting holes he cut allowed him to realign transaxle and the driveshafts (fore and aft) a tad?

I might have got that wrong though?

Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Good to hear from you Mike, as soon as you mentioned the bolt being the wrong way round, looking back at the picture its obvious it should be the other way round unfortunately as it took the changing of the mounts to identify them as the source of the noise I never paid them too much attention before :o

Peter, the amount of adjustment is quite small so the impact on other components is pretty small probably little more than the standard amount available with the elongated hole in the crossmember.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

The Clan has been much nicer to drive without it's clangs and bangs so I entered the Clyde Valley Rally - a non competitive run of 130 miles, having done it a couple of years ago in the Green Clan some of the roads were very rough I made the decision to change the front springs.
20180925_170540.jpg
The originals were 8.5 inch x 170 lb/ft which could be a little bouncy on some surfaces so swapped for the ones originally on the Green Clan which I thought were 120 lb/ft but turned out to be 150lb/ft x 10.5 inches according to the label but they look much lighter than the originals.

Happy with the new stance as I have a PCT this Sunday so the raised height will be handy.
20180925_174613.jpg
The run went without issue covering just over 200 miles including travelling to and from the event - no water or oil used and 40 mpg not too shabby. The roads used were in much better condition than I was expecting and what rough bits there were the Clan glided over just like a Citroen OK that's an exaggeration but it coped admirably . Lunch halt was at Drumlarig Castle with you might recognise from Imp Ecosse.
20180930_124528.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Busy weekend ahead as I have an Autosolo at Errol between Perth and Dundee tomorrow and a Production Car Trial at Forrestburn on Sunday so time to prep the Clan.

First thing was an slightly annoying vibration that wasn't wheel balance as I had just fitted new tyres on different wheels and there is no play in any of the steering components so checked the wheels for run out, the n/s showed .7mm so checked the discs which showed run out, turned the disc around and the high spot was on the opposite side which point to the hub.

Found another hub and bearing and fitted that, refitted disc and checked again - negligible :D. Fitted wheel and run out now -.1mm/+.1mm That'll do thanks.

The O/S had less at .35mm however zero at the discs so its in the wheel so nothing I can do to change that but it's within acceptable limits . On the way how you can feel the IMProvement.

Swapped the rear wheels and tyres for a set with a more open tread pattern to suit Sunday, refitted the boot rack along with a couple of spare wheels. Originally I used the set I had just removed but they weren't heavy enough so dug out some standard 12 inch steels and connected them to the vacuum brake bleeder and sucked the air out then put the hose into a bowl of water and let it draw the water in. Nice and heavy now :o ideal for Sunday where it should help improve traction on the grassy hills.
20181005_172207.jpg
Washed the Clan and went home to take the wheels off the rack as not ideal for an Autosolo. All ready for tomorrow
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Cold start to the day but by the afternoon was down to a T-shirt ----------- plus trousers etc :lol:

Lovely day in the Sunshine, mixed performance from me biggest issue was the Clan jumping out of gear, don't believe its the box but the positioning of engine and box which are moving and pulling it out of gear. It's not something that has happened on the road and hope to sort it when I put the other transaxle back in before the next round on the 21st.

See last run of the day

When I got home washed the stoor off and loaded the spare wheels ready for tomorrow's PCT
20181006_181932.jpg
Scott
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 »

Looks like it went well Scott with plenty of stoor being kicked up.
Good luck tomorrow at Forrestburn. Keith was saying he is going too.
Col
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Definitely a lot more grunt with this engine and very driveable.

Yes we have 3 "Imps" Dave Charles is coming along too.

If your at a loose end pop along but you probably should be building an engine.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

What a difference today in the weather, yesterday was glorious sunshine today cold windy and rain - poor marshals.

Keith wasn't well so it was just Dave and myself up holding the "Imp" honours amongst a brace of MX5's/midgets/MGB's and a gaggle of vintage Austin Seven specials.

Not such an auspicious start on Hill 4 for myself, car seemed to struggle a little but cleaned it anyway and went to pull on the handbrake to get my card signed and it's still on :o :oops:

Oh well can only get better but the next Hill 1 I got a 2 with the handbrake off :roll:, Hill 2 nearly went very badly when I stalled it pulling up to the start but deemed to have not started yet, phew and went on to clean it. Hill 3 Clan bottomed out on something that seemed sore but ignored it and went on to score a 1.

Then on round again, Hill 4 was much easier this time around without the handbrake on, cleaned 1 straight over the top, Hill 2 sailed through for a zero, Hill 3 proving a challenge tried backing off a little that failed and got a 2 this time. So 5 for the morning.

After a barbecue lunch it was time to do it all again, however the weather has started to turn with the wind picking up and the rain becoming more persistent. First time round things are improving as cleaned all the hills but the rain is now really coming down (just getting the excuses set up :roll: :lol: ) Hill 4 slightly off line on the approach to the last steep section and with the ground now soaking failed to get traction and got a 1. Hill 1 got a Zero but only just ground getting slippery by the minute, Hill 2 cleaned it, Hill 3 got a 1 well I would have but touched a cane for a 3, all told 4 for the afternoon.

Took some video of Dave

Quite like the finish
20181007_1412041.jpg
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Yesterday received an email from Knockhill about an Open day and trackday on the 20th, normally wouldn't bother going out in January but the weather has been so
unseasonably mild thought why not.

Today cleaned off all the mud and grass from the last PCT and lowered the car again while swapping wheels and tyres, painted the new engine steady bar and took it home.

Good to go but will change the oil before the event with some performance oil, also want to seal the side windows as the leak just a bit :?

However reserve the right to change my mind if its peeing down, fingers crossed the weather holds up. :lol:

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

On the side windows ...Eric did a pretty good mod to his Turbo Clan.

He fiberglassed a recessed continuous lip around the inside of the apertures then screwed down poly carb replacement glass into the recess. The Poly carb is then aero-flush with the body. He used something like M3 counter-sunk allen screws (about one per 40 -50 mm IIRC) all around the aperture. The poly carb was seated within the recess using a bead of sealant on the recessed lip. The outside edges of the poly carb can be painted (if necess) to tidy-up the line of sealant visible through the poly carb.

He did the same to the rear glass and said the whole lot (bolted-in rear poly glass and poly side glass) actually added to the rigidity of the shell!

And it does look good too.

On my list of projects ... :) Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Been using VAK and putting some miles on it, it does get along the road very nicely. :D

Been looking at the mapping and recording some data, I found it interesting how little time spent on more than 50% - all off 1 min in a 30 min journey taking in motorways
and A roads.

Also figured out how to get the adaptive mapping operating, in adaptive mode it makes suggestions of changes to the fuel map by noting how much adjustment is needed to hit the target Lambda figure. Just need to get some good data to make the changes by putting more miles on it, a big hardship :lol:

The clan is set up for 3 alternative maps so I can play around and not worry about messing up - just switch back to the original. :)

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Just looked at Knockhill's webcam and they have SNOW, Track is clear but scattering on the infield. :shock:

https://www.knockhill.com/webcam/

Might prove interesting, maybe I should get the winter tyres on :lol: :lol:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Had arranged for Kerr, my daughter Amy's partner to bring up my spare wheels and trolley jack and drove the Clan to Knockhill, very fortuitous timing as just after turning off the motorway ended up behind Kerr :D

On arrival not looking very promising as foggy and very cold, got some extra layers on and set about changing the tyres and removing the odds and sods from the Clan
Car ready and went and signed on, by the start time of 11.00am it was clearing so you could at least see the track from the pits.

A lot of serious cars out today but wasn't the smallest as several Citroen C1's out promoting the new one make championship. As it was cold and damp took the first session nice and easy, completed 20 miles and then returned to the pits checking tyre pressure/ looking for any leaks/ retorqued wheels and topped up with fuel.

All looking good so went out again for another 30 miles, track improving so upped the pace a little then came in a rechecked. Tyre still have no heat in them, still understeering a bit. Calculated the fuel consumption to be 20 mpg.

Back out for another 40 miles and track much better now and starting to push on, at 1.00pm the track session was being stopped for the Fomula Fords and Legends to do some demonstration laps as part of the open day, so joined Kerr and his pal and spent a bit of time spectating.

Back out again and track still getting better but stopped after a few laps recovering someone, recorded a best time at 1.06.79 got another 30 miles under the belt but with a couple of stoppages to spoil the fun.

Topped up fuel for the final session and sun now coming through so able to push harder, matched my previous best to the hundredth but not able to improve.

Clan never missed a beat all day and final tally was 144 track miles for the day, no oil used, front end needs a little work to improve turn in/grip, all in a grand day out.

Video

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Next Video

Watch this one from 17.30 to end, doesn't life have a way of balancing itself :lol: he definitely lifts more 8)

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Pete

Yes raised first lowered third and forth - top is about 13 mph per 1000 rpm third between 10-11 mph ?

It was sometimes jumping out of third under braking when changing down at the hairpin - need to look at the linkage as that where I think the problem lies -
sometimes I just left it in third on the rev limiter of 8200 about 90 mph as it doesn't make a huge difference to speed or times and save that :shock: every time it happens.

Scott

Newest video

Just reviewed this one and using forth, also reducing speed through the hairpin so not missing the apex as much
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Scott

If it's jumping out of third on braking, then transaxle moves forwards on rubber mounts and if the linkage is solid, will push the selector rod into the transaxle.

Either needs more solid tranny mounts or more flex along the length of linkage to stop the rod from moving back into the tranny?

Why not have a try at re-fitting Mike's stiffer tranny mounts. I've done that on JO JASON with additional rubber gaskets under the mounts which decreases noise through the rear cross member to tolerable levels. Just need to reassemble Mike's mounts in the correct order to make sure nothing on the mount can touch the cross member directly.
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Peter

Under normal conditions it's perfect only appeared at the trackday, strictly speaking it's not simply under braking - it takes a combination of changing down and braking to jump out. It has Mike's comp mounts already and my own solid linkage, I'm hoping a little tweak of the gear lever position will sort it but will need another track day to check when it's done. I'm thinking it needs the opposite and moved further into the box. Time will tell.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Last video of the day

Scott
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

Scott,

I hope you can sort the problem with third gear with a simple gear lever move. Having experienced the same problem many times as you describe, unfortunately it usually turned out to be a gearbox rebuild being required. The only time I've driven at Knockhill, the Imp track evening, I had to hold third gear in!

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

While at the trackday I continued recording the AFR corrections, what happens is, it looks at the map and injects the required amount of fuel and then if held at the same position for a min amount of time the ECU trims the fuel until the AFR match the target, it records how much it needed to trim. I then have the chance to review at update if I want.

Here is some of the results from Sunday, as you can see I have data for WOT that normally would be hard to get on the road. It makes sense due to the low temp that it wanted to add fuel as more oxygen about at 2 degrees than the 30 when it was mapped. I can see in the end having winter and summer map but that's not a problem.
It means that the car should be more responsive as the map should be more accurate at first look up.
IMG_20190120_221058.jpg
IMG_20190120_221103.jpg
Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Does VAC have a plenum air box with a temp sensor linked to the ECU?

Although Jo JASON is on DHLAs I have a temp sensor in the plenum air box and have used the same set up with both the 1040 GB72 and 875 Sport noting significant differences between the two cams.
The plenum air temps are around 25-35C at WOT with the GB72 and 18 to 25C using the SPort cam. The effect of summer /winter ambient temps makes a bigger difference during warming up but once it's thrashed and fully warm the heat from the combustion chambers /combined manifold is more significant than the ambient temp....the GB72 with the large valve overlap showing higher air temps than the Sport cam. When in traffic @ idle the plenum air temp sores up to 60C with the GB72!

Because air temps using a plenum are less influence by ambient temps (open filters will be more influenced by ambient) i would have thought that a full EFI ECU would use plenum air temps to trim the map on the fly?

Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Yes, it has an airbox linked to a remote filter to a rear scoop on the side window. The other side window has a scoop that directs air over the throttle bodies and exhaust.

Likewise I've seen the temps rise when idling, as I wasn't monitoring anything during the day I can't be sure it was ambient temp that was the main reason but will hook up the laptop and do so.

VAK used the Lambda sensor and the target AFR's to adjust the fuelling, this is more accurate as it is a measure of what actually HAPPENED in the engine rather than an educated guess.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Peter

Looks like you have it well covered.

I was lucky as my Emerald ECU was one of the later serial numbers which were able to have the software upgraded, which added the AFR functions via a wideband sensor. multiple maps, adaptive mapping etc. :D

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Next event is this Sunday''s PCT at Forrestburn so time to get it ready.

!. Changed the plugs back to the regular ones from the ones I use for trackdays
2. Checked oil and water - all good,not a drop used on the last trackday.
3. Alternator loose, readjusted and tightened bolt.
4. Raised the rear ride height by replacing the spacer under the spring.
5. Cleaned up the brakes.
6. Put front tyres on the rear but opposite rotation to hopefully provide more traction.
7. Ordered new tyres for the front.
8. Re-positioned gear lever as it was jumping out of third during the trackday, don't know if it has made any difference yet but falls nicer to hand.
9. Loaded tools and fitted the water filled tyres where I carry the spare (behind the seats).
10. Lights check, one indicator poor connection - sorted.

Just wheels to fit and the obligatory wash to do and it's ready. I've always had the need to have the car washed before an event even when running late, really use to frustrate Stuart my navigator when we should have been on our way, :shock:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Nice day when I got up and took the dog for her walk but by the time I was ready to leave the fog had come down, I thought how typical but a couple of miles from the house it's lifted and we had exceptional weather for the first PCT of the year.

Hills were in excellent condition and it was clear that it was going to be a low scoring day and so it was, only failing to clear Hill 1 on the first time and got a 1 then cleaned the rest but was beaten into second place by one of the midgets who cleaned them all.

Only problem I had was the exhaust heatshield caught on something and got a bit bent, easily enough sorted but will have a look and see if I can do anything about it as its the second time that's happened.
IMG_20190224_140717.jpg
Also brought home last years trophies, apparently I had come second in the Club in the Club Championship as well as class wins on the PCT's and an Autotest.
IMG_20190224_150434.jpg
and then told not leave them on the mantlepiece. :o

Video of the day here, not quite the same pace as a trackday but fun never the less.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

VAK looking GR88 on the front cover and centre spread in March 2019 Impressions! 8)

I thought at first they had bought the Clan Owners Club mag back from the dead. :lol:

And a neat BMW installation on the rear cover too!

Keep up the good work Scott, Dom (and Grahame). :D

Haven't had time to read yet but looking forward to it.
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Took the Clan to the shed on Monday to swap the wheels and tyres over in preparation for IMP Ecosse also checked the fluids - all OK.

When I got home I saw the exhaust heat shield and remembered I WAS going to fix that when I was at the shed, old age :roll: :lol:
so removed it and took it with me and straightened it.

Tonight thought I'd better get it back on as Imp Ecosse is tomorrow, 5 min job - no, nearly an hour and a half, the mounts were bent as well and they took a lot of force to straighten but done now.

Give it a quick hoover and wash in the morning before taking the girls for breakfast and head for Dumfries, it's only 80 miles.

Weather forecast is looking good, looking forward to a great weekend.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Imp Ecosse weekend was great fun, good weather, good food and great company.

Clan performed faultlessly, again using no oil or water and sipped premium fuel to the tune of just shy of 40 mpg. :D

Tomorrow is the preseason test days at Kames circuit, I been there quite a few times but never driven it so looking forward to it.
Ian Sinclair has also entered his Imp spaceframe, the first time he will have driven the car in anger, infact first time ever apart from loading it onto the trailer.

I took VAK to the shed with the intent of putting the Toyo Proxys on the rear but when I looked at them they are fairly close to the wear limits despite not having done much, the down side of road legal slicks is, they don't start with much depth and then wear quickly too, so I put the boot rack on and strapped the tyres to it, much better than 3 points and a fine per tyre if stopped on the way home.

Quick wash and fluid check before meeting up with my daughters and my mum for a meal.

Set the alarm on my phone now worrying if it will automatically update itself, 6 months ago I remember the same issue when the clocks went back and had another event. It was fine then so no worries :roll:

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Some video from today's runs at East Ayrshire Car Club test day at Kames Circuit

Ian Sinclair's run

Scott
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

Interesting to watch. I can't remember but do you have an LSD/Quaife diff fitted? If so it looks to me that you are not taking full advantage off it, particularly on the right where you were changing down, I'm guessing into 1st mid corner, and suffering understeer. Keeping in the higher gear and and being more brutal with the power will help get you round and away. If no LSD/Quaife then ignore me.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Pete

Not sure where your taking about, if you could reference it to time and video that would be great.

Yes it does have a quaife, yes it did suffer from understeer but only really at the hairpin. Times I'm seeing would have placed it mid table at a proper sprint very respectfully.

It was driven to and from the event and currently on touring set up which means it sits 1.75 inches higher to deal with all the pot holes as just back from Imp Ecosse where it did some 300 plus miles and next weekend it got another run of 170 and couldn't be bothered with the fuss of changing it.

Front tyres were std road pattern and compound, the rears Toyo Proxy's GG compound.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

No problem, I think the point you were referring to was at the hairpin where it tightens on the exit, there were multiple lines including the ones where I changed down to first and gave it a bootful to counteract the understeer with some oversteer.

Quickest probably just to brake more and drive through the corner at a reduced speed :shock:

Scott