Imp 2018 Leicestershire.

News /Chat about forthcoming Imp Club events and other non Club events
Website Editor
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Re: Imp 2018 Leicestershire.

Post by Website Editor » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:22 am

Roy - we still have 5 missing answers on our sheet - had to avert my eyes when I posted up the answers as we are still trying to complete it!
Lynda Dickinson (Website Editor)
gill
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super, BS Nymph, Siva Llama

Post by gill » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:39 am

We had Hillman for 34, he lives on a slope!
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:56 am

Gill

You weren't alone - we had that.

No. 1 Light bulb - we had Neon.

Scott
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:33 am

We had Robin for 30.. It's our nationwide voted favorite British bird after all.
31 could be interpreted as Ambassador or depending on your politics Crusader... :lol:
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 pm

I had Hillman and Ambassador, also had Nomad (Chevrolet) for wanderer.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:14 pm

bazzateer wrote:also had Nomad (Chevrolet) for wanderer.
I had Rover, not too sure adding land in front of it changes it to such exacting definition.
But I enjoyed doing it for fun. So I am not taking it as seriously as it probably comes across. So thanks to whoever compiled it.
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 am

imp.sport wrote:
bazzateer wrote:also had Nomad (Chevrolet) for wanderer.
I had Rover, not too sure adding land in front of it changes it to such exacting definition.
But I enjoyed doing it for fun. So I am not taking it as seriously as it probably comes across. So thanks to whoever compiled it.
Ditto

Scott
Dave Dickinson
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by Dave Dickinson » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Well said Tim.
Positive feedback like this is much appreciated and makes all the hard work worthwhile.
To see your son showing your Imp to Rosemary is for me one of the things that make this club what it is.
Dave
Dave Dickinson
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Area Centre Co-ordinator wrote:.
To see your son showing your Imp to Rosemary is for me one of the things that make this club what it is.
Dave
Me too. Plus having Rosemary go along with having Ben explain to her what each bit of the engine bay did was priceless. Magic stuff, thank you Rosemary! 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
hazzah
Car Model: Imp Super, Calif, Stiletto

Post by hazzah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:45 am

Well said Peter
hazzah
Car Model: Imp Super, Calif, Stiletto

Post by hazzah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:20 am

This is a post for positive ideas for the future.

There are many people underwriting the National who do not attend. There are even people who have no affinity for the event, but abide by the democratic decision to hold it. But...
  1. It should promote the make and the Club.
    It should attempt inclusion of those members who cannot attend.
    It should encourage those that have not attended to feel like it would be worthwhile attending.
    It should have an permanent online record open to all, throughout the year and forward.
    It should not be just a social event excluding those who do not attend, "and if they want updates, then they should be here" attitude.
The point is not to criticise the National. The point is to leverage the invisible costs that are never talked about, the hours spent by the volunteers. To make best of them for the future of the event, the club and the make.

It is a perfect opportunity to create energy. Have a promoted "live" online presence for the national.

Here are some bullet point ideas:
  • Every car photographed that wants to be part of the Online Award. One photo, same angle, same location. This award is only available to the votes of online viewers.
    Interviews, videos, photos updated as they are able.
    "Meet the vendors" interviews, see the people you are buying off, but never meet.
    Hidden PROMO codes in some of the videos. You can get a discount on a club item.
    Encourage vendors to give online offers. If an order is placed by midnight Sunday, then you get a 20% discount of a service kit or something.
    Have a quiz also open to online people.
    Caption competitions.
    Live steam some things.
    Actively promote the event in areas you haven't thought about.
And I am sure there are more.

None of this is difficult to do. Even someone with an iPhone and a Facebook event page can do much of this. Someone's son or daughter could do it as a school/college project. There are so many Media Studies students around. Even a College could be contacted and ask them to do it for a project.

It just takes a bit of imagination and thinking about how to change things. And I will not accept an argument that an this will give people a reason not to attend. Quite the opposite, it is meant to promote the event.

If we go back 15 years and look at the National, the forum, then not much has changed. And whatever people say, that just cannot be right, looking at how society has changed. And remember in 10-15 years keeping our cars on the road will be a challenge, because of environmental pressures. The world is changing around us.

All that work, all the effort (not just the direct costs), it could be leveraged much more.
alan c ramsay
Car Model: Sunbeam Sport, Hillman x3, Clan, Chrade spaceframe

Post by alan c ramsay » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 pm

Well done to all the organisers, helpers and bar/catering staff (have they joined the Club yet ??).

I very much liked the layout of the site....very compact and cosy, especially on Sunday. Also someone
must have been paying attention to where the sun would be, as the front of the marquee was great place
to sit about and relax from late afternoon.

Also, brilliant to have a music-free Thursday....much better for catching-up.

Roll on Preston......120 miles shorter to go too.....I might even drive an Imp there..... (ooops, that'll start and argument...)
Slainte, Alan
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 pm

alan c ramsay wrote:..................

Roll on Preston......120 miles shorter to go too.....I might even drive an Imp there..... (ooops, that'll start and argument...)
As I drove down to the 2004 Letchworth National from Richmond North Yorks in the Clan , I naively thought I must be 'in with a chance' for the prize for the longest drive in an IMP (derivative). The chaps on the gate laughed at my naive optimism and said 'no chance - plenty of Scots have driven down too, and they're already partying.'

Stds must be slipping - I thought it was only southerners south of Watford that were were soft! :o
Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
rhydian_mason
Car Model: Hillman Imp mk2, Hillman Imp Husky, Clan

Post by rhydian_mason » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Who the hell was in charge of ordering wasps for this year's national? Did they get metric and imperial mixed up or something?!?!?!!!!! ;)

Apart from that it was an incredibly enjoyable few days, very relaxed, good atmosphere, came back home smiling. And that was without bringing an Imp!

Hats off to the organisers.

One suggestion though, could a pre AGM discussion (or even the AGM itself?) be held at national so that people can air views, make suggestions etc? A good proportion of the membership attends national and maybe it would be available way of solving issues, problems, and bringing more success to the club?

Anyway, thanks again to the organisers! Looking forward to next year already.

Rhydian
"an aversion to corners and a tendency to spin at the slightest provocation"
gill
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super, BS Nymph, Siva Llama

Post by gill » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Rhydian wrote
One suggestion though, could a pre AGM discussion (or even the AGM itself?) be held at national so that people can air views, make suggestions etc? A good proportion of the membership attends national and maybe it would be available way of solving issues, problems, and bringing more success to the club?
Any other views on this? A couple of times we have needed to have an EGM at a National for a single topic. Generally the thinking was that more than that would not be popular, but I certainly agree that it is at least a discussion opportunity.
Gill
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 pm

Oi ! L-e-C.... I have attended every National since I joined, which includes the Scottish ones. In fact I drove from Sterling to home in one hit save for the necessary fuel stops. Around eight and a half hours. My first National being the Wirral when I'd only owned the car for a fortnight. I live in Sussex, so a little less of the southern softy bit, OK. At least we ain't scared of the M25, like it would seem everyone NORTH of Watford is. Mention a national in Kent and everybody hides. :lol:

Andy G
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:13 pm

Sterling?
Wheres that Andy? Is that in Scotchland? :lol:

Col.
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:26 pm

Aye, and so is Perth (but not the Australian version). :wink:

Andy G
bks974c

Post by bks974c » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:38 pm

617sqn wrote:Oi ! L-e-C.... I have attended every National since I joined, which includes the Scottish ones. In fact I drove from Sterling to home in one hit save for the necessary fuel stops. Around eight and a half hours. My first National being the Wirral when I'd only owned the car for a fortnight. I live in Sussex, so a little less of the southern softy bit, OK. At least we ain't scared of the M25, like it would seem everyone NORTH of Watford is. Mention a national in Kent and everybody hides. :lol:

Andy G
Oi Andy

I was in Kent and even came down early all the way from Scotchland to give them a hand setting up, my daughters even popped in on their way to Devon. I do confess to trailering the car now as usually add a track day or two to the weekend, I have driven my Imp to a few and even drove my red Clan to one, its awfully small amongst the lorries :shock: wasn't really a fan of that.

See you in Preston.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry Andy, no offence intended.

I appreciate that a select few Southerners are hard. :lol:

I lived in Cornwall and Winchester once upon a time and I too was hard southerner ...by proxy. :roll:

But the Scots are renowned to be genuinely hard (and sometimes very scary up close :shock: ).
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:24 am

To keep everyone happy for 2019 i will suggest to the organising team that we start in Preston on the Friday, early hours of saturday we pack Preston into a truck and move it to Kent and set up hopefully by 09.00, early hours Sunday we will deliver the national to Aberdeen. Special award for anyone driving an imp and attending the whole weekend.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
617sqn

Post by 617sqn » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:33 am

Brilliant idea ! For the less hardy (read - "pansies"), can you arrange for the M25 to be closed except for Imp Club traffic, for the Kent leg ? :roll: :wink:

Andy G
ylee coyote
Car Model: clan crusader

Post by ylee coyote » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:41 pm

It was our second national and our considered opinions was overall rather good ,the band was great on Saturday ,the fancy dress was much better attended than the first one and the auto test was brilliant ,especially as I won my class (of one..)
The camping field was fine ,lots of space for everybody but for some reason large areas were left unused
Raffle was good ,quick fire and guaranteeing attendance in the Marquee ,Showers were adequate ,probably the best you can do in the circumstances ,main thing my wife enjoyed it too ...so a result ,wasps were a problem but were dispatched with our poundland zapping bat .Would not change much for next year ... Clan004
M-Power Clan Crusader
Saab Turbo X
Saab Turbo T16s
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 pm

THANK YOU to all involved in organising and running national. It was an excellent event! 8) Well done, all of you. Roll on next year... :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:16 am

Regarding sharing photos etc, being from the other side of the world it is more than appreciated! I won't say I feel excluded (I went to the 09 National at Reading), but it is not so easy to get to!

I'm more than happy with coverage after the event, and am looking forward to the next Impressions too.

I've posted some shots from the National Hillman Rally over here - for travel point of view, the Western Australian group drove a couple of Minxes the 1750-ish miles back to Perth!
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:47 pm

I have weeded this thread at the request of a member and to keep it on topic - apologies if anything has gone that you wanted. If anything remains that you would like removed, please PM me.

Thanks - Simon