Re: Spaceframe Imps

Post by colin rooney »

yes i believe there is and i know of 1 in the south
driftwood
Club Member: No

Post by driftwood »

The stiletto Graham you refer to that Will Arif drove is probably Graham Smith
he ran car at Lydden 98 99 2000 ish lived west of Croydon but Im sure he had ford motor in it
oneofapair
Car Model: ginetta

Post by oneofapair »

Definately upright Imp motor on hewland box, car had brabham cornere I believe. Looks like engine and box now for sale on Hillclimb site.
mikedao
Car Model: davrian imp thanks to robert knox

Post by mikedao »

yes the engine and box is for sale but the box is on hold if you want to see the pics go to facebook type in michael john chapple this is me or send me your email cant get the hang of posting pics on here must be a old man thing mike
mikedao
Car Model: davrian imp thanks to robert knox

Post by mikedao »

the imp in ireland is in belfast somewhere in n ards came up in con last year on the phone mike
HARRY
Car Model: davrian mk 8 / hillman imp

Post by HARRY »

any one have photos of phoenix PARK 1983 HARRY SIMPSON DRIVING A DAVRIAN
colin rooney
Club Member: Yes

Post by colin rooney »

HARRY wrote:any one have photos of phoenix PARK 1983 HARRY SIMPSON DRIVING A DAVRIAN

What colour was the car Harry , it may be worth contacting Loe Nulty as he seems to have lots of old pictures from back then

col
HARRY

Post by HARRY »

Hi, the MK8 davrian was red sponsored by Edinburgh aluminium products
HARRY

Post by HARRY »

ian forrest was olso at phoenix park at the same time 1983 in a black MK8.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

i will ask leo
ScaryWayne
Car Model: Sunbeam Chamois LHD x 2 (French), Imp, Stiletto.

Post by ScaryWayne »

Great thread folks. I am in the process of planning a partial spaceframe racer here in France. I will be doing all of the work myself and am slowly gathering the bits I need. Firstly I should explain the spec that I have to compy to for the Autocross genre of racing.
The car must retain the driver compartment in original form. From the bulkhead forward it will be spaceframe with double wishbone suspension and coilovers. Seat must stay in position, ie can't be central. From the main hoop, directly behind the drivers seat it will again be spaceframe with coiled rear suspension, either double wishbone or swing arm. The engine must be no bigger than 2.0ltr with max 16v and an original power output of max 180bhp. No turbo or supercharger but can be tuned to a higher than original power output. No difflock.
My plan is to use a Ford Focus ST-170 motor though a VW passat or Porsche transaxle. This will be mounted in the position of the rear seat and will be inline.
Bodywise the driver area must remain steel but I'm planning on using fibreglass panels for the rest. Ideally a full flip front and flip up rear from the B-Post back including the roof and rear wings and engine cover. I guess I'll have to make moulds myself to produce the panels as all the pre made panelso I've seen for sale are so expensive. I did miss a complete fibreglass body a year or so ago for 250 quid that needed repair but I could have probably made it work. Unfortunately living in south of France it's difficult to fetch parts unless people will store them for me untill I can get up to fetch them.
If anyone has any ideas or pointers I would love to take on board your thoughts. Also if any of you know of potential usefull parts or desing ideas that would be good to.
Forgot to say I'm doing this on a very limited budget, hence doing it all myself but I really want to take an Imp and kick some french car butt.
I have a shell and will start to post pictures once I get started. Just don't expect a quick build.
Cheers
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Most intriguing! :D

Why not go transverse and just use the Ford transmission, clutch, release mechanism and so on? :?: It would be much more straightforward than marrying up the Ford engine to a different transmission.

You could go further and graft the whole Ford front end into the Imp's rear. The top MacPherson strut mountings, inner wings for reinforcement, front subframe, suspension arms, driveshafts, brakes, etc. from the Ford could then be used. It would save you a packet on buying after-market stuff and is of decent quality and well-engineered.

Similar has been done previously. Look at Cliff Pountney's thread under Readers' Cars. Also look at pat_imp_man's thread. Both are using Rover K-Series power. Pat's is supercharged.

For a body, you could either stick with steel panels, which are tricky to repair and potentially expensive if replacement is needed, or go with glassfibre reinforced plastic. Chris Farren at Fibreclass is one of the best for such panels for an Imp. There is just an outside chance, if you ask him, that he might have for example some panels for sale cheaply that did not meet his high quality standards. If not, then he may know of someone selling a load of GRP panels secondhand. If you don't ask, you will never know! :wink:

It must be tough, living in the south of France... :lol: :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ScaryWayne

Post by ScaryWayne »

I considered going tansverse, as indeed most of the french racers have. They tend to use the renault clio or megane or the citroen engine and transmission. I just really like the idea of being different and sticking to the original drive train layout of the Imp. A bit more work but hopefully being different will be the difference between winning or not. I have been racing since I was 11 years old and have had some of my best success by trying something different from the rest.
I will try Fibreclass and see what they can do. As you say, don't ask, don't get.
I have a bid on a Focus as we speak which is currently looking good but we'll have to wait and see. I should know this evening whether they accept my offer.
Hopefully that will be another piece in the parts cupboard.
ScaryWayne
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Excellent! 8) Consider starting a Readers' Cars thread and keep us apprised. :idea:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ScaryWayne

Post by ScaryWayne »

I think I will start a readers car thread when I get started. Not sure how many people will be intereseted though.

I've been searching the interweb for an email or website for Chris Farren at Fibreclass but have drawn a blank. Anyone got any details?
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 »

ScaryWayne wrote:I think I will start a readers car thread when I get started. Not sure how many people will be intereseted though.

I've been searching the interweb for an email or website for Chris Farren at Fibreclass but have drawn a blank. Anyone got any details?
This was the last one I had

fiberclass@hotmail.co.uk
SBS
Car Model: ...

Post by SBS »

........last known mobile number - 07747 367067
big J
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by big J »

Hi lads, Ive fixed my pictures do they should be visible again?
For Google chrome this should work-
Go to Chrome webstore, find and install the photobucket fix app
Sorry dont know how to do a link
edit-
this might work?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... aieidknhlf
steve g
Car Model: centaur mk1

Post by steve g »

Does anyone have any pics of the ccc stiletto driven by Enderby? I cant find any online
Also does anyone know Stephen Brett ?...
I’ve just been reading up on Enderby and his mason stiletto, I’m hoping to drag it out of the shed soon and make a start on it.
hillman1070
Car Model: Spaceframe GRP Saloon

Post by hillman1070 »

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum in fact any forum!
ive seen previous post from Graham De Looze regarding the blue /white spaceframe saloon. He says at one time it was Andy Ciakovs? That car has been mine now since 1997 , bought it as a rolling shell from a guy in Stoke on Trent and after much work I started hillclimbing it in 2000. Its morphed quite a bit over the years..long story short...I made a mess of it at landow early this year. Ive heaps of work to sort it out and have been looking for a one piece grp roof and pillars among other bits. I have bought other saloon roof mould and rear screen mould but they have been cut short and are not complete. Will consider stiletto top now that I have to rebuild it. Grateful for any help.
KC
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

hi and welcome give me a ring on saturday on 07515533742 about glass work

cheers col
ingliston2
Car Model: 635 csi

Post by ingliston2 »

HARRY wrote:
DRAM-.jpg
Ian Forrest & the Maguire Stiletto ex Tony Bridge Car & Harry Simpson Maguire Stiletto ex David Endeby's Car.
Picture taken at Knockhill Race Meeting about 1985. Both cars are identical 998 full race Andy Chessman engines and Jack Knight gearboxes
I remember when Tony Bridge brought this car to Ingliston and it blew all the other Imps away in Special saloon > 1000 cc qualifying, got some video of this meeting and took some pics (from my tv with the iphone here) - that Imp was awesome no wonder it became the Drambui imp mk2/3!

https://thumbsnap.com/hDUkK8pa
https://thumbsnap.com/hIOnom8t
https://thumbsnap.com/XON59t2B
MATTinSURREY

Post by MATTinSURREY »

Still looking for a spaceframe imp guys. @Colin, thanks for the offer of a new chassis, believe this will be beyond my budget and capabilities. Prefer something with a bit of history, requiring a straightforward restoration. Someone must have something somewhere...
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

there is a spaceframe imp for sale a chap called andy wilson is selling it £13,000 on the button ready to go
MATTinSURREY

Post by MATTinSURREY »

Thanks Colin. I'm assuming it's the same Andy Wilson that's on here? Just dropped him a note via the forum, so hopefully I'll hear more soon. Many thanks, Matthew
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

no its not the same andy wilson , the man you need can be contacted on 07939028186
alan c ramsay
Car Model: Stiletto,Sport,Imps x2,Chrade spaceframe,Tymtek

Post by alan c ramsay »

colin rooney wrote:there is a spaceframe imp for sale a chap called andy wilson is selling it £13,000 on the button ready to go
Lot of history with this car.....originally built by Brian MacLeod from Alness, and raced many years at Ingliston.
Slainte, Alan
steve g

Post by steve g »

I bit the bullet yesterday and dropped all my panels off to Chris at fibreclass, he’s confident he can replicate my original panels and he’s going to put a coloured gel coat on too. I’ve been looking at my tub and started to realise there’s quite a bit of work to replace the cage and some of the original tub needs welding too but it won’t get done if I don’t get it done!
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

how long until panels are ready

col
steve g

Post by steve g »

Should be ready end of Feb beginning of March
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

excellent
Roy Sims
Car Model: Spaceframe Stilletto, Singer Chamois

Post by Roy Sims »

Hi I'm after a bit of help tracing histories of 2 spaceframe imp cars. One I have some history and have seen film (utube of it competing at Lyden, this has been confused at times on here with the other car that i'm after info on.
IMG_1102.JPG
IMG_5022.jpg
The maroon car is as it was in its heyday and the Orange version is as it was when I bought it after pirates ripped the march suspension from it. I know that at various time it ran with a BDA, 16v Vauxhall (I've seen the pictures) and 8 valve Vauxhall.

The next Car I have become the custodian of, Mikedao on here passed away shortly before christmas. I have been asked to finish the car by his widow, so i'm looking for genuine info on this car.
FB_IMG_1444653554325.jpg
Mike Law says that this is not his Ray Imp, his description of his Imp matches this perfectly up to the inboard brakes, this has Brabham corners with outboard brakes. The engine was a mid mounted upright Imp mated to a Hewland Mk9. The engine is a lovely piece of kit, all the bits I used to dream about when I was running Imps and Clans in the 80's. From what I gathered from Mike Robbie Knox owned it when it was Yellow and Blue and I have seen other pics on here of a similar car In Blue and Pink (maybe red). The rear bodywork is very distinctive in the section behind the rear wheel arches, it is swept up quite steeply. This car has been confused with mine above in description, but mine had March suspension and this one has Brabham.

Any good info would be good please, Roy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oneofapair

Post by oneofapair »

The Owens liveried car IS the car that Rob Knox owned, was then sold on to Welshman Gwyndaf Owens, a succesful Mini racer.As stated car is on Brabham corners, upright Imp engine with Hewland gearbox.
Roy Sims

Post by Roy Sims »

Hi thanks, I had that info, it is more who owned it before Rob Knox and its origins. Endaf Maybe?

The Maroon turned orange car, I know the Nigel Hepburn bit and little about its Graham Smith (Lyden) history, what I'm after is, were there any owners between Graham and Nigel and where it came from before Graham Smith. Kevin Day has been mentioned at times.
Roy
oneofapair

Post by oneofapair »

The car prior to Rob owning it was owned by someone called (I Think) Graham . He was the cars owner but the driver was Wil Arif. Rob tried to trace background of car prior to Wil Arif, even contacting Iain Forrest as it was rumoured to be the drambuie car, that was discounted afterthat conversation. I'll contact Rob to see if he can fill the blanks for you.
Roy Sims

Post by Roy Sims »

Hi, Graham Smith owned and drove the Maroon car, which I have been told was BDA powered. Seen the film. Will Arif has also driven it on occasion.

As far as I know Graham Smith did not own the Blue Imp powered car, unless someone knows different.

2 cars are possibilities: the second Ray car Bob Jarvis and the Ian Forrest car, the Bob Jarvis car was last remembered with a crossflow in it, but that could have been converted easily and little is known of the Ian Forrest car after it came South.
Help anybody.

You tube of the maroon car at Lyden driven by Graham Smith Maroon car with white flashes and orange headlights I have them in my workshop sorry for the film quality.

Roy
oneofapair

Post by oneofapair »

The graham smith car is NOT the car are talking about. The car that Rob knox had (blue and yellow )was a much tidier built car with some neat little detail features. I occassionally bump into Wil Arif, if I remeber I'll ask him "Grahams" full name1
Roy Sims

Post by Roy Sims »

OK, so another Graham. What neat features are we talking about on the Ex Rob Knox car? One thing that I do know is that the engine is really nice, all of the proper bits.
The Graham Smith car was tidy at one time see the top photo above.
The ROPS in both cars left a lot to be desired.
Thanks for keeping this going, anyone know of any way to contact Ian Forrest? No longer works at Knockhill.
Roy
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Ian is on facebook if your not on there i can ask him for a contact email or number for you , i cant shed any light on the car you have as i only know it from when rob knox had it , but i do know that reg patten was involved with it before rob bought it so it might be worth giving reg a call

col
Roy Sims

Post by Roy Sims »

Thanks Colin, I don't do Facebook, so if Ian Is willing to contact be Email or phone maybe we do the details over a PM,
I have looked at all of the info on the thread and seem to come up against a wall, maybe I will contact Reg Patten as well.
thanks again,
Roy
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Hi Roy i have messaged Ian but not heard back from him

col
Roy Sims

Post by Roy Sims »

colin rooney wrote:Hi Roy i have messaged Ian but not heard back from him

col
Thanks, I have emailed Reg and not heard from him, but I only emailed today.
oneofapair

Post by oneofapair »

This is the car that Wil Arif drove for its owner,.Rob knox bought it from that owner via Wil Arif who stored the car. Rob then selling on to Endaff Owens.Rob posts on here as "Knocker". I'm sure he would have no problems telling you the history from he's viewpoint. Wil Arif is driving in this picture,taken at a late 80's/early 90's end of season "winter warmers" at BRANDS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roy Sims

Post by Roy Sims »

Hi, Thanks for that, definitely the car I have in my garage. What I'm trying to do is trace it back prior to Rob Knox all the way back if I can.
Roy
knocker
Car Model: Maguire Stiletto Ginetta G15

Post by knocker »

Roy, what are your plans with car ? As I was informed the engine & gearbox was for sale and a bike engine was going in it place Is this still the plan? Do you now own it?
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
Roy Sims

Post by Roy Sims »

Hi,
The bike engine is already in along with the Quaife diff. I have been making the ROPS MSA legal or at least finishing what Mike started. I have sorted the front hubs so that they have one spacer not two. A fair amount to do to make it currently MSA compliant. But if you had seen the ROPS in my car when I got it you would have fallen over laughing.
I don't own the car but I'm the one dealing with it. Mike's wife wants it completed and wants to see it compete.

Do you have any info on the car prior to you owning it.

Roy
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

roy what is ROPS

col
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 »

Hi Colin

Roll Over Protection(ROPS)

Roll cage to MSA regs, which changed a bit last year for Hill Climbs and Sprints, not sure if those changes all apply to circuits though.

Steve
Roy Sims

Post by Roy Sims »

Hi, MSA spec for Rops have not changed since 1987 (I think). It was just that certain constructors never built there ROPS to comply with the regs. Jedi were the main culprit, OMS on various cars and even Pilbeam. The ROPS on the Endaf/Knocker Imp was lacking in tube dimensions,bracing and material in some areas.
The regs apply across the board to all disciplines, Hills Sprints Circuits, Rallying etc.
Roy
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Well in all my years spent around race cars i never knew it was ROPS they say you learn something new every day :D

col