Water and oil temp

oldspa
Club Member: No
Car Model: Super

Water and oil temp

Post by oldspa »

I'm racing my 998 Imp at Donington this weekend. It's an endurance race so 45 mins long. I've fitted a digital water gauge and it was well worth it because the old one was over reading by around 10 degrees. 45 mins at full tilt could be pushing it with the temps do you think:?: :!: Imp003

So what do we think ought to be my absolute maximum water temp. i.e. at what figure should I slow down, pit and quit? Ditto for the oil temp. :?: :!: Imp003

Many thanks,

Keith
SimonBenoy
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Re: Water and oil temp

Post by SimonBenoy »

Keith

A lot of unknowns here, but temperatures should stabilise quite quickly and then remain at a fairly steady level if your cooling is adequate. I guess you are appendix K if you are at Donington this weekend, we were there about 3 weeks ago and it was quite warm then, probably warmer than this weekend's forecast. My water was 75 so the oil would have been around 90-95. I would say that you stop or ease off if your water goes over 100 but if it is getting this hot, you will need to improve your cooling and your engine is more likely to fail. Assuming that you are using a good oil, they can withstand 120-130 but not really a good idea.

You will learn a lot in qualifying if all goes well, if it is getting hotter than you would like, knock off a few revs wherever possible and hopefully the temps will stay lower.

Best of luck, Simon
Turboimp
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Turbocharged in 1983 + Clan

Post by Turboimp »

oldspa wrote:I'm racing my 998 Imp at Donington this weekend. It's an endurance race so 45 mins long. I've fitted a digital water gauge and it was well worth it because the old one was over reading by around 10 degrees. 45 mins at full tilt could be pushing it with the temps do you think:?: :!: Imp003

So what do we think ought to be my absolute maximum water temp. i.e. at what figure should I slow down, pit and quit? Ditto for the oil temp. :?: :!: Imp003

Many thanks,

Keith

If you are using a good coolant and the system stays pressurised at say 1 bar( not from a leaking wills ring ! ) it will be about 120+ C before you get into trouble . Just watch the rate of climb of the temperature .. With this kind of temperature the radiator removes more heat from the engine due to the temperature differential between the air ( say 15 C ) and the coolant ( 120 C ) A big 25 or more row oil cooler in the main air flow makes a noticeable difference on coolant temp as well .

Regarding oil , I went from south wales to Dover back in 1988 doing 7200 rpm most of the way , oil temp was 140 C with no ill effect !

Good luck and have fun ... Imp009 Clan005
1967 Imp Sport turbo 328000 Imp Miles , in the same car
1972 Clan Crusader 232000 clan Miles in the same car
must be some kind of record !
pubcrawler
Car Model: 1965 Imp, 1971 AH Sprite MkIV, 1965 Triumph Herald

Post by pubcrawler »

My engine builder told me that the water temp shouldn't go over 85 deg :o
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.
oldspa
Club Member: No
Car Model: Super

Post by oldspa »

Thanks all, worked it hard and the water temperature seemed to stabilize around 80 and stayed there until the end of the session care of my new digital sensor with analogue readout. I had been a bit jumpy as the previous outings had seen the temp around 90 but it seems that old gauge was reading 10+ over the new system. I guess your car runs a bit cooler Simon c/o the Shrigley heat exchanger :?: Hopefully it will keep its head during the 45min race over the summer.
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy »

Good news - how did you get on?