SOVREN Spring Sprints 06, AKA: Abarth blood bath!!!

mtnbikepoacher
Club Member: No
Car Model: Imp basic and deluxe

SOVREN Spring Sprints 06, AKA: Abarth blood bath!!!

Post by mtnbikepoacher »

The event went off without a hitch save Dave Guenthers Imps bonnet not staying shut for the last race and he having to sit it out. Broken spring on the release, and not enough time to install the proper hood pins we had already bought. If only all Imp problems were so insignificant!
I finished Daves car around 6;30 am the day of the race! Last ugly problem to rear it's head was the tyre sticking to the inside fender as the frame shop didn't quite pull the front out far enough. We had to downsize his tyres to 175 60 13 from 185 69 13. That seen\med to keep it from scrubbing, but I gave him strict instructions to do "parade laps" as the alignment issue was indeed an ISSUE! (I drove tha car to the trackthat morning without issue, and it seemed safe, but not reallyfull race worthy. Dave needed to get the 2 days in in order to get his full race Lic.... Even if he was dead last!)
Jonathans car, the one I raced, was left in it's 902 form as it seemed to be doing well.
I finally broke the 2 minute barrier in his Imp on that track (2 ltrs are getting 1:45's adn the fast cars are getting 1:30's!) which was a first for the Imps in the last four years we have had them out there. I ended up with a 1:48:5 as my best.

As the title says, I dominated the Fiats! It was very satisfying. I didn find myself in a hole in the middle of the grid. All the fast cars ahead of me and all the slow cars behind, adn me on a sectin of open track an nobody to play with :cry:
My old nemisis the beetle, was faster most of the time (1:56), but there was a good race where I was able to reel him in in the corners every lap, only to see him drift off on the straights.

The last race of the last day, I lost second syncro in the trans, and by the time I got the hang of shifting it, someone had dumped a good amount of gear oil on the track (not me!) and the corners were no longer safe to take at speed, so no bettering my time.

Good fun!
Imping... Alive and well in the Pacific North West!
Next stop Mission B.C. Canada. May 27/28.

Imp Dominance!
benwick3
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 »

Good to see you got both cars out. I reckon that you will find the 175/60x13 tyres a better overall package - thats what I use.

Looks a great circuit although I'd be a bit wary mixing with single seaters.

It wasn't a good weekend for Imp transaxles, mine started dropping out of 3rd at Donington on Saturday so it's another engine out job this week.

Those air-cooled wagons can be frustrating. I had the same problem with a 911 on Saturday. Slow in the corners and then away on the straights. I even got past a couple of times only to be overtaken immediately on the following straight. I did however realise an ambition I've had since first racing at Donington by taking the Craner Curves flat in top on the way to my fastest ever lap time.
Killer
Car Model: 1966 Sunbeam Imp Deluxe Mk2

Post by Killer »

Too bad about Dave's alignment problem. At least it got him around the track to a good end. Better safe than sorry.

Breaking down the old saying "no replacement for displacement" :twisted:
Eric

http://impbarn.blogspot.com
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Good work, guys! Makes me want to get out there and hit those hillclimbs RIGHT NOW!! :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
mtnbikepoacher
Club Member: No
Car Model: Imp basic and deluxe

Post by mtnbikepoacher »

Pete,
Hoosier had some of their discontinued tyres on sale for half off, and one of the problems I felt the Imp was having was a lack of rubber. The 185's really made a difference. Between the last race and this one, I took a little under 5 seconds off my lap times.
Daves best was a little over 4 seconds slower than my time, and her was running a 998! But to be fair, he was just doing parade laps.