HSCC Race Series 2015

Information / Questions and Discussion -
Imps and Imp based Motorsport stuff from the olden days and current
JayPea
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois Saloon

Re: HSCC Race Series 2015

Post by JayPea » Mon May 18, 2015 6:44 pm

I had a good day yesterday although I have to admit my highlight was being followed out for a couple of miles at the end of the day by a red Imp.

It was a shame the field was spread out but good that they both finished. Simon was obviously trying hard as he was lifting both inside wheels at times:

http://www.jaypeaphotos.co.uk/Jay%20Pea ... mps-31.jpg

Cheers, John
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Mon May 18, 2015 8:25 pm

Had a great day yesterday - the weather was Ok and the car ran really well, better than expected. It was great to see so many Impers out for the day - Dick Tompkin's SD1 was getting a lot of attention. It was a pity that there were only the 2 Imps out playing and the rolling start was also a handicap for us, there seemed to be Lotus Cortinas everywhere! But once they spread out a bit, we were able to get back to some better laptimes but on such a long circuit, a bigger grid would have been more entertaining, it was good that there were battles at the front. The circuit is one of my favourites, there are some great corners.

Thanks also to John for some outstanding photos, it isn't easy to find good places to take pictures at Silverstone.

Got to watch a few other races too, there were some mouthwatering cars competing (and the public car parks weren't short of quality either, including Traco's Saloon and James Henderson's Chamois coupe!)

Next up is Donington a week on Saturday, just a 1 day meeting and a circuit where I seem to end up in the gravel rather too often, let's hope it won't be quite that exciting this time!

Cheers - Simon
traco

Post by traco » Mon May 18, 2015 9:20 pm

John that would be me in the red Imp on my way back to Derby, what car were you in ?

Graham
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:44 am

Glad it went well Simon, Any ideas on the value of the cars in the paddock? I won't be a Donington as I'll be in France with the other Clan. Should be out after that and if I can't sort the red Clan I'll enter the orange one in the Invitation Class.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
Adrian
Car Model: Super x2 Deluxe x1 Stiletto x1 Davrian mk 6/7 x1

Post by Adrian » Tue May 19, 2015 12:27 pm

Fab photo's guy's I was particularly interested to see I can read my rev counter in one of them, looking forward to Donnington hope there are more cars out.

Adrian
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Wed May 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Superb photos, as always, JayPea! 8)

I'm going to try to get along to see the Imps (and perhaps the Clan) compete later this season.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Sun May 31, 2015 8:30 pm

There were three Imps out yesterday at Donington, Simon Benoy, Steve Platts and Adrian Oliver. Adrian sadly had to retire on the first lap however it looked like the other two Imps were going to have a great race running together. Sadly a mini decided to get in the way of this by punting Steve off at the Chicane. Steve recovered to have a great run through the field to finish despite some damage to his rear wing.
DSC_1042.JPG
Simon's in car video.

https://youtu.be/QESikw3lXwc
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sun May 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Superb driving by Simon there, eh Chris? :mrgreen: That Lotus seemed to be struggling at times! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: 69 Californian (998) and two 1964 Imps (projects)
Location: 25 km s.w. of Stockholm, Sweden (overseas contact).

Post by Lars Hagermark » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:21 pm

Thank you both, Chris for posting the video and Simon for the show. :D :D :D
Overseas contact, Sweden. -69 Cali (998), 2 -64 Imps in need of "some" work.
Life is full of solutions waiting to be found.
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:27 pm

enjoyed watching that thanks for nposting chris, love the five speed duke box simon ha ha
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Sounds awesome, Simon :D

Andy G.Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
abth
Car Model: '71 Imp, '96 Ducati 916

Post by abth » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:33 pm

I really enjoyed the film.
What a beautiful running engine!
Nice crunchy gearbox just before the Roberts Esses :D :D :D

Jaap
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" Mario Andretti
Jaap ten Hoeve
'71 Imp
'96 Ducati 916
MMCPJONES
Car Model: Davrian Mark 8, 1969 Sunbeam Stiletto (resto)

Post by MMCPJONES » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:36 pm

I agree,

Great driving and the engine sounded superb Simon. Which one were you using?

Martyn
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks for the nice feedback - the engine is my spare, known as the 'bitser' as it was built from leftovers! It is 'regular' imp race engine, no special bits but well put together by Andy. I have had clutch problems since breaking the crank at Thruxton, I think the plate might be slightly bent causing the hydraulic central clutch release bearing to get pushed back in too far, so I will change it before Snetterton next week, in the hope that it will fix it.
Still waiting for the steel crank to go in the full Shrigley engine that I have used so successfully for the last 2 seasons, but the supplier has put back the delivery date - just have to be patient!

Cheers - Simon
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:57 pm

sent my entry off for cadwell today, inspired by your incar video Simon! well kind of i was thinking i have half a chance of beating you whilst you have the bitsa engine in. :D
The Hillman has gone off to Mike Dents and his friend Haggis for loom and suspension work, i have never had anyone do any work on my car before but after seeing the meticulous attention to detail on Mikes rally car, i realised sometimes your better off just realising your own limits!
Lots to do before Cadwell, need to weld wings on the Ambulance so Gem and baby Russell have somewhere safe to relax, and need to write my podium speech ha ha in my dreams!
If you are thinking of coming along on the 28th June we have a practice and 2 races all on the sunday,there should be a good turn out of imps.
Jimmy macs blue car is making an appearance i am led to believe with its new owner, then would think the hardcore, benoy,oliver, splatts, maybe the Guntons and shaun, myself and Stuart Kerr so that makes 9.
cheers andy
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Ha ha - great stuff!

But sadly no Splatts - his daughter is getting married on the Saturday...
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:42 pm

Very wet day at Snetterton today - 20 cars entered, but the order after qualifying was unusual... It was very slippery in practice, so I was surprised to see the Cortina of Mark Davies on pole, but he has been very quick in the ex Jo Gomm car. Next up were 2 Minis, I got 4th with Steve Platts in 6th but the Anglia in 5th subsequently dropped a valve and wouldn't take any further part. Current champion Tim Davies was 7th in the 2 litre Cortina, but was struggling for grip. Mustangs were in 8th, 9th and 12th and the Falcon of Leo Voyazides in 14th. Adrian was less fortunate, having a misfire and unable to rev past 7 leaving him in 16th.
Race 1 was still wet, but not quite as wet as qualifying. Imps are good off the start and Steve and I both got away well, I was alongside the leading Mini into the first corner but he had the inside so I settled for second with Steve in third. A great start for both of us, but we weren't able to hold back the polesitting Cortina or the 3rd placed Mini for too long. I was enjoying the race, keeping up with the Mini, but coming into the Esses on the 4th lap, my gearstick snapped, so that was game over. I was able to reverse out of the way but the marshalls decided to arrange for me to be towed back to the paddock after the race was over, rather than me reversing :D (reverse on a 5 speed gearbox is on a separate cable). Steve went on to finish a fantastic 6th, being passed by the Falcon and a Mustang as conditions improved towards the end of the race. Adrian had further misfire problems which turned out to be a dodgy battery and chugged round for a finish in 16th.
Qualifying in race 2 is based on finishing positions in race 1, so Steve was 5th, Adrian 16th and I was 18th. The second race was after the Autosport 3 hour race and was again very wet. Steve made a great start and was running in second place for several laps. Adrian didn't make the start when he lost all electrics in the collecting area but was able to join the race after the start, sadly he only lasted for a couple of laps. I was able to make a good start from the back, though it got a bit hectic in the mid-field. I got some decent breaks and was able to get up to 6th by the end of the first lap. It took a bit longer to get past the Mini in 5th and then to chase the group with Steve, a Mini and a Mustang. Steve was undone by increasing understeer which enabled the other 2 to get past and allowed me to catch him - I was able to get by when Steve was unsighted by spray but he hit back at the next hairpin, taking the inside, which I hadn't expected as I could see him fighting the understeer. However, I had another go at Agostini hairpin and managed to open enough of a gap to secure 4th with Steve holding a comfortable 5th.
We have created a video from the second race which Chris is just uploading to youtube, link will follow shortly.
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:51 pm

ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Well done, Simon et al! :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
MattorMatty
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super & Singer Chamois Sport

Post by MattorMatty » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:30 am

It was a good day at Snetterton even though it was a bit wet. Here is some of my photos of the day.

Matt
Imp007 Imp009
Matt Way
EXF 517H - Super
GNO 114H - Sport
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:04 am

Just watched the video. Great stuff!
One question: What's the two note beep that we can hear intermittently? Audible rev limiter????
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:16 am

Bazz,

I think that must e the camera - not sure what it means though!

Cheers - Simon
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:02 am

Thanks for posting link Chris, really enjoyed watching.
Interesting how the water remains staionary on the screen until you hit 3rd gear !
Simon i think the camera bleeps because its scared ! ha ha congrats on a cool drive Simon Prost.
Andy
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:31 pm

:lol:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
ImpJimbo
Car Model: BS Nymph and Singer Chamois Coupe.

Post by ImpJimbo » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:25 pm

Great video. I have shared it on the clubs Facebook and Twitter pages.
James Henderson.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:47 pm

Great vid , car sounds superb , thanks for sharing :)
Formally known as " Noddy "
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Great photos above and superb video! :D :D You were really driving the wheels off your car, Simon! :mrgreen:

Mrs. IM was within earshot whilst I enjoyed the video and said that the bleeping sound from the camera reminded her of Nintendo Super Mario Kart - the video game. It's the sound the game makes when you collect gold rings. Maybe you're collecting invisible rings... :? :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:49 pm

That 1st lap was great to watch - amazing start. Well done.

Scott
chamois93

Post by chamois93 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:44 pm

Thanks to David Heale and Dennis Alt, I'm all set for Cadwell this weekend.. engine had to come out at the weekend, problem with the gearbox.. all back together now, fired up, quick drive around the yard and all being well set for Cadwell - looking forward to catching up with everyone over the weekend. Stuart
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:12 pm

First of all many thanks to all who helped recover the Clan on Saturday following my visit to the Medical Centre, particularly Simon and Chris. Sorry it was so hard to push but a transaxle fault resulted in it being partially in gear when neutral was selected. Never isolated the fault but I was able to race on Sunday.

Great racing by the Historic saloons particularly the second race between Simon and Andy which was finally resolved on the last lap when Andy didn't appear. What happened?

Thanks again everyone.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Pete - glad you were able to race on Sunday and get a finish - I might not have been so helpful in recovering the Clan if I had realised how hard it was going to be :lol: :lol:

My second race was one of the toughest I have ever had - I started 7th, immediately behind Andy in 6th. Andy went a little wide onto the back straight on the first lap and that was enough for me to get by and from then on until half way around the last lap, we were rarely more than a second apart, apart from when the slow starting Mustang came through or when we were lapping people. I don't think my lines were anything like textbook, rather more defensive, so the lap times were a little down on our best, but it was really close racing without any contact. I was having trouble down shifting whilst Andy was having to hold his in 2nd gear, so we were both slightly handicapped. Andy managed to knock out a headlight on one of the plastic markers in the chicane and had a rise in temperature (perhaps related?) and on the last lap, in sight of the chequered flag, his new Frank II engine pushed out a small amount of oil which looked serious when it got on the exhaust, so Andy pulled off. He was able to drive back, once he had checked it out.

New Imp racer, Graham Briggs was out in the ex Jimmy Mac car and had a good day with 2 finishes and getting much faster as the day went on. We also had Stuart Kerr out for the first time in 2015, he made a great start to the second race but pulled out just before half distance after a clunk from somewhere at the rear of the car, coming out of Mansfield.

A good turnout from our loyal band of supporters - thanks to all for coming along, including 3 in Imps.

Next up is Brands Hatch on the GP layout which will be followed by Croft over National weekend and this will be by far the best turnout of supporters that we have ever had - I believe that there are around 80 Imps and related cars booked in which will be fantastic. Let's hope that there are plenty of Imps out racing!
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:24 pm

Fantastic weekend at Cadwell park, really happy to be back out in the imp felt like i had never had a 2 year break !
Also great to see so many club members come along to watch, we have the best supported club.
ex Jimmy mac car now owned by Graham Briggs was out for the first time and looked really nice, Colin Rooney tidy job :D
Practice was great with damp patches under the trees so was able to chuck hillman about a bit get the feel again, nothing fell off so after a full english we re fuelled the car ready for race one. I had a great start and managed to get up to 3rd just by pure over excitment rather than any skill involved, short lived am afraid as i soon found myself back in 6th overall position. Simon was in my mirrors but not threatening, just as well as my car developed a missfire luckily turned out to be a loose base plate in the distributor ! an easy fix.
Race 2, well let me get the excuses out first
i had to drive one handed as had to use the other hand to hold hillman in second gear,as he kept popping out.
driving so close to the back of simons 10 foot wide imp caused my water temp to increase to worring level.
its hard to commit to a kamakazi overtake manouver when its one of your own type car, if it had been a mini then no problem :lol:
So all i could do was apply as much pressure as safely possible hoping Simon would run out of talent and allow me through, fair play to him he didnt crumble and took a well deserved class win.
Unfortunately i failed to finish stoping to see why the car had filled with smoke, whilst the chequered flag was in sight ! in hindsight i should have just continued but was concerned i was dumping oil on the circuit.
Anyway we live to do battle another day, cant wait for croft that will be one to watch.
the incar videos are taking forever to upload but will be on youtube soon, many thanks to Chris benoy and ibbo for helping me get through scrutineering
cheers Andy
Andy Hillman

Post by Andy Hillman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:53 pm

race2 is uploaded, search Cadwell park race 2 hillman imp
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 am

Good race that and some fantastic driving by the 2 of you

col
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:07 pm

It sounds as though another excellent time was had by the Imp racers - rookies and veterans alike! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Superb!

I'm really looking forward to watching the videos later. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
MMCPJONES
Car Model: Davrian Mark 8, 1969 Sunbeam Stiletto (resto)

Post by MMCPJONES » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:25 pm

Brilliant video ...brilliant driving. Didn't know what to watch ...the incredible action or Andy's rev counter as it went stratospheric!!

Martyn
Adrian
Car Model: Super x2 Deluxe x1 Stiletto x1 Davrian mk 6/7 x1

Post by Adrian » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:46 am

Nearly all set for brands after an emergency engine change late last night finding the pin was coming out the dizzy and could not remove it to sort the problem!

All done Fired up this morning before work and sounded good, just some wiring for the alternator then go then off to brands to see my fellow Hillman addicts.

87 Simon Benoy Hillman Imp
89 Adrian Oliver Hillman Imp
93 Stuart Kerr Singer Chamois
94 Steven Platts Singer Chamois

Adrian
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Ha ha, I have also had my engine out to swap the flywheel/clutch to try to sort out my problems downshifting - if this doesn't work, it must be the release bearing or hydraulics or something else that I haven't thought of yet!

Heading off late this afternoon. First practice tomorrow...
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:10 pm

Good luck to you all, have fun.

Scott
SimonBenoy

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Not a bad day for the Imps yesterday at Brands. Qualifying was early but went quite well for all. I ended 15th, Steve Platts 16th, Adrian 18th, all very close. Meanwhile, Stuart Kerr's clunking from Cadwell had gone away and he was enjoying himself, getting some help from David Heale.

Plenty of Impers out supporting again, though not necessarily the usual suspects. Traco was there in his Imp (ever present in 2015) and several others from the south. But the furthest travelled by far was Gary Rush, Imp racer from NZ, who was enjoying chatting to all the teams and seeing all the cars in the paddock.

After practice, my clutch was still not well, so I decided to replace the master cyclinder, with thanks to David Heale for his assistance. It felt good driving around the paddock, but my next problem was that the alternator light wasn't going out and all the wires were connected. So probably a diode gone and the battery was charged so hopefully it would be OK in the race.

The entry was a solid 31 cars, so the start was as frantic as expected. Steve got away best of the Imps, and there were a couple of other cars between us, however, it usually sorts itself out and I was biding my time whilst trying to keep Adrian at bay. The clutch was not fixed so a blip on the throttle was helping it to downshift, but the engine started to misfire by about the 3rd lap and any hope of the class win was gone. As was any chance of keeping Adrian back, so I ended up struggling round for a finish, about 6 seconds a lap down on my expected times but at least I finished. Stuart had a steady race, at times battling with Dragons' Den's Theo Paphitis in a 1200cc Anglia. Congratulation to Steve on an excellent class win.

Next up for all of us is the Croft Nostalgia event which is over the Imp 2015 National weekend - there will be more Imps spectating than ever before, so let's hope we get a good turnout of racers and that we can put on a good show!