Mk1 hillman imp saved from scrap

hillmanimpfan
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman imp van DWP 491J,building a turner imp rep

Mk1 hillman imp saved from scrap

Post by hillmanimpfan »

just bought this yesterday saved from hands of the crusher local farm being redone
mk1 hillman imp has no reg letters i.e A** 3** so it early example question is how old is it ?
wondering about reregistering was in a barn from 25 years plus not on DVLA computer
ethier
nightmare to remove her all wheels were locked for a start but we got her out thought pics so everyone can see it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
turner imp replica,still working on my van .also the creator of the james motorcycles owner club page on facebook
hillmanimpfan

Re: Mk1 hillman imp saved from scrap

Post by hillmanimpfan »

after four hours removing her taken to jet wash to get 20 plus years of dust off and pumped up all the tyres amazingly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
turner imp replica,still working on my van .also the creator of the james motorcycles owner club page on facebook
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

more pics few period mods i figured out last night originally a sky blue hand painted at some point and fitted with lots extras
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

clean the chassis number up and thanks guys i was in the club 3 years ago so might rejoin soon here what i found can anyone decode it for me
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

left gordon a message hopefully he still has same phone number also has starting handle dog fitted i know bits about imps i know thats rare, can i still get the skye blue paint ? like to return it to standard paint but leave mods in place.
needs sills been pop rivetted in the past , window rubbers all round but floorpans are good
also rear crossmember
clutch slave and master and all brakes doing and hubcaps and bumpers post more pics soon
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

started on the floorpans inside removed the soundproofing and carpets while i wait for gordon started derust the floorpans no rust holes to report
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

dont think these seats are original but someone here may know better
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

process today on imp engine started tidying it up and poured some diesel down the bores hopefully get it freed up and yep my seats are recliners
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

also someone spent money on this car when it was new and bought period speaker grilles seen these before on mk2 i had few years back
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

process this evening treated the whole floorpan to hyrate 80 bilt hammer rust convertor removed all the rust so red oxide going on hopefully in the morning.
John
pubcrawler
Car Model: 1965 Imp, 1971 AH Sprite MkIV, 1965 Triumph Herald

Post by pubcrawler »

Treated the underside of mine with a combination of these :o stay away from underseal and hammerite :D
Owner of the Green Heartbeat Imp from Aidensfield!
Martin Parkes.
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

WHS!

Yes, sorry I meant to add the word 'carefully' - you don't want it super hot, you just want it hot enough to cause a bit of localised expansion so the oil can then run into any minute gaps to free it off. FWIW, the last time I did this was on a flat camping stove in the middle of the lawn, so if it all went wrong only the grass would suffer.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

impmann wrote:WHS!

Yes, sorry I meant to add the word 'carefully' - you don't want it super hot, you just want it hot enough to cause a bit of localised expansion so the oil can then run into any minute gaps to free it off. FWIW, the last time I did this was on a flat camping stove in the middle of the lawn, so if it all went wrong only the grass would suffer.
LOL started to stripdown the engine hopefully not to bad as bores look clean tbh clean round the piston tops got carbon off, one of cylinder head bolts has snapped but i ll fix that once its free
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

got stuck into my imp recently just stripping mine down for shotblast and respray undecided on the blue yet
but hope someone on here can help anyone have a engine crossmember for sale local to nottingham as mine badly rotten and also rear bumper and hubcaps ?
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

believe its 998cc but i cant confirm atm but did have intercooler fitted but crack only about 4 mm from surface was only small crack but just enough to cause issues. made small small line across the gasket area aswell
hillmanimpfan

Post by hillmanimpfan »

see the issue now more cleanly after i clean it all up ashame as the engine itself now turns over and has great compression wondering if anyone had same issue ?