Spaceframe Imps

Piers Phillips
Club Member: No
Car Model: Hillman Imp

Re: Spaceframe Imps

Post by Piers Phillips »

Good stuff Martin,
I know my car is about 100 Kgs lighter than Stuarts and with such a small amout of horsepower available that will make a huge difference in performance. Simon Benoy is completely correct with his comments regarding the Imp being competitive at certain circuits. The sooner we get more cars out to play amongst the bigger engined cars the better. I firmly belive that now the class structure has been revisited and sorted out that we will see more smaller engined cars coming out to play in the future. Im just waiting on my engine and the build will continue. Not sure about you but I reckon old "Sticks" Brownsey is now milking the whole injury thing. I reckon he'll be on Jeremy Kyle soon :lol:
Either that or the bird doing his Physio is smokin hot and he just wants more attention..... God I hope its not a man! :shock:

The Castle Combe championship I reckon will be a great place to run the cars between the CSCC events... Maybe we could get a bit of an inter Imp championship going. Sponsored by RODWELL obviously !
We should really push for a Thruxton race in the future as I reckon there could be a big surprise in store for a few. Poke , poke, poke :)

Im off again to the states on New years day for Daytona test but will be back again mid Jan to press on getting the Maguire finished...
Imp024
Gaffer
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto and an Imp project

Post by Gaffer »

Martin, how about getting some more of your 'in car videos' on here for everyone to see. It's a shame we can't see the 'flames' out of the exhaust on the gear changes :lol: I think it demonstrates the difference in engine sizes and comparisons as described in the above threads.
I loved this Vid :)

more this year please.
Pete
Trying to keep the faith.
speeddemon
Car Model: None

Post by speeddemon »

Martin you have misread the situation here. Let me just put it back into context. I was saying that if baldwins mini was 190hp there aint no way and id bet my house on it that no imp would be that close. Back then, when competitors started switching to more powerfull engines the a series powered cars and the imp powered spaceframes became less and less competitive and faded away.
Please I im an honest guy and you are a far better driver than I. If you reduced the weight on the imp and lost 3 stone the mini would comfortably win. Its like my mini against simon holloways lotus the power and straight line speed on todays circuits will leave the imp for dead. Endaf told me his mini is comfortably 3-4 seconds quicker than his imp. The mini was straight out the blocks 185hp kad 16 valve

Anyhow piers whats the class change about, wheres the small cars and who pleasse :)
TTK 25L

Post by TTK 25L »

Mike, I agree that the Imps will be left for dead on the straights behind the the bigger engined Minis, all I was indicating is that our car is a little slower than it should be at the moment and that a super light Maguire Imp would be closer. I think the Imps will still have better corner speed and better under braking than the Minis due to weight distribution etc.
I also think a lot of the power figures quoted 'in the day' were total b****cks for both the Imps and the Minis!! :lol:
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin »

At the end of the day there's only one way to find out who's car will be the quickest and that's to get racing.
Power to weight ratios matter less than skill behind the wheel and that is only learned (usually) from time
on track.
So see you all at Silverstone in May in the small cc class !
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Great to see abit of banter about getting cars out and that's what is needed ,Does it really matter who has the quickest imp ,to me no as my semi spaceframe car weighs in at around the same as Stuarts but the height of a standard body style is catching a lot more air my front on the rawlson is around 10 inchs heigher than the new front I have for the Maguire ,so please boys don't start a debate on who is quicker lets just try and keep the series going

col
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

no need for a debate colin my rally car would be the fastest :lol: i wont come out on the race series to prove it to you all :lol: me and the co-driver weigh the same as some of your cars :lol: it would be good to see some of the cars on this thread on the track
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
Piers Phillips
Car Model: Hillman Imp

Post by Piers Phillips »

Hi Mile,
Well the CSCC have very sensibly waived the ruling saying that Spaceframe and Sequential gearbox cars are to move up a class. Therefore your Engine size installed is your determined class !

Happy days for the Imp brigade !

It does however say that any Man City supporters must start from the pitlane at every event !

Toon Army !
Imp024
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Martin now were talking sense :) your understanding me. Unfortunatley many people who use these forums cling to nonsical power figures and do nothing to prove there words have nothing to do with race cars, have never built engines and have never competed. We call them dreamers and messers. We have heard it all before on here. Go back to the start of the thread and read through all the so called great ideas and dreamers who wanted to start racing, especially in a spaceframe car . Infact the HTs was just that, a dream.

Lucky enough there are a handfull of people who want to compete and have a go, whether its once or twice a year at least they come and have a go. So like Piers says lets get out racing.

Unlucky today for the Toon army was routing for them to turn over them gooners.

Blue moon rising swiflty over the red smog hahahah
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Well done Martin you understood me.

Messers and dreamers on this thread thats why there are only a handfull of spaceframe imps about racing and no one aprt from the usual fellas are involved. Heard all the tails at race meetings and listened to nonsical people go on about how great this engine was and that engine. Im simply stating factual evidence.

Anyhow like piers says get out racing and enjoy these great cars

See you all in the new year with my 152 hp imp hahahhahahah

toon army not quite enough to defeat the gooners, but dont worry piers the blue moon is rising high high high above the red smog hahaahhah
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 »

"If you are interested" - a thousand times yes!

Fascinating to hear about not just the Imp side of things but racing I didn't grow up with. Thanks for sharing/documenting your a few of your memories Rob.

John
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

+1 :D

I like the fact that you found the rear weight bias difficult to master after racing minis. Suggests subconscious skills that are embedded and difficult to change in the short term. I too find it difficult to go from my Clan to my RWD Lotus ... keeping the foot in on bends in the Lotus is a disaster -especially in the wet! :lol: Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Rob

Very interestng read, love to hear more :D

Scott
Gaffer
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto and an Imp project

Post by Gaffer »

johnh875 wrote:"If you are interested" - a thousand times yes!

Fascinating to hear about not just the Imp side of things but racing I didn't grow up with. Thanks for sharing/documenting your a few of your memories Rob.

John
Love it. Fascinating to hear first hand. More please.

Peter.
Trying to keep the faith.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

As above, Rob. :D Keep the posts coming! It is truly fascinating to hear the history behind the Bevan cars and the spaceframes alike. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
rje
Car Model: Hillman Imp Rallye,

Post by rje »

I remember Noel and I think I know who has his car now but I'm sorry I don't remember your brother. Noel and John Leinster. whose son was on here a while back, were always very competitive.
knocker
Car Model: Maguire Stiletto Ginetta G15

Post by knocker »

stuartbrownsey wrote:Bit of a negative attitude Rob

It only takes a few more small capacity cars to come and play (ie you) to make
a good championship even better. Maybe now the SEMSEC championship has folded
a few more will join in the fun.

Were planning on been out next year and Piers will have his car finished (Its absolutly stunning !!)
Colin Rooney has started his rebuild so that will be three in the future.
Couple more and it will be happy days.

Stuart (Rodwell Motorsport)
Hope all is underway ready for the 10th May Stuart & Piers we need to get theses IMPS out remember.
I will be down at Lydden on the 10th my local track. But will see you both at Brands my second local track end of May.
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax »

Has this one been on here

Became

See
http://www.conceptracing.co.uk/other-pr ... ?nggpage=2
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

cov_climax wrote:Has this one been on here

Became

See
http://www.conceptracing.co.uk/other-pr ... ?nggpage=2
No Brian I don't think it has until now I have seen it before ,it now looks a very strange bit of kit ,we could do with a few new cars showing up to get the thread going again ,hopefully I will start to update it later in the year when I start build my new spaceframe

col
knocker

Post by knocker »

CCSC at Brands this Saturday 3 IMPS entered.
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin »

So who is doing CSCC Modsports Mallory ??
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
knocker

Post by knocker »

Yes, John Woods will be in the red imp.
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
TTK 25L

Post by TTK 25L »

We will be there with the black one too.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Is it this weekend? :?:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

no july 20th
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Thanks, Colin. I might be able to attend on the 20th. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
mapman
Car Model: Spaceframe Rawlson Imp and ex spaceframe Stiletto

Post by mapman »

Anyone have any leads on Maguire moulds for new glass panels? I know Chris at Fibreclass has moulds of Colin's Rawlson but he hasn't yet replied to my email. Keith in Northern Ireland may have access to Maguire moulds too, but I don't have any details (costs, timing, etc).
I would prefer to convert my Rawlson Imp to Maguire Stiletto but may default to the Rawlson shape if nothing else can be found.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Paul.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

pm sent
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

A couple more images from around 1982/83 . see also viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27954&p=263816#p263816

Andy G. Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Excellent thanks andy the car that you can just see the rear of could be the old rob knox car the blue and yellow 1

col
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

I've had a look at other photos I have from the same meeting, and I can confirm that this was during the autumn/winter of 1982, as I have an image of an E-type Jaguar which came to grief coming down from Druids and when it came past us up at the top of Paddock Hill bend going back to the paddock, it had "Sponsor me in 83" on the sides. And during a Wendy Wools meeting.

Andy G.
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
MisterH

Post by MisterH »

I have just found this forum by accident and in particular this thread and have spent a couple of hours scanning through it. My interest has always been hillclimbs and some of the photos brought back some memories.

grahamdelooze wrote:Kieth do you know who had my car after Tony. I havnt seen any more pictures of it on this thread. After it was black its been painted several times but it ended up red with a white roof.

The answer is I bought it from Tony. I then had it re painted in gold, but later when sharing the car with a friend who owned a Davrian we painted it red with a white roof.

The car ran with a 1120 (which was a hybrid Hartwell motor, with Greetham wedge head and a bit of work by Ian Carter) and Jack Knight box but later with an Ian Carter 1220 and Hewland Mk9 box.

I had the car for about 5 years before it was sold on to a couple of brothers in the South West, sorry I don't remember their name, but I did hear from Ian Toon that it had been rolled and that you had acquired it and were rebuilding it.
driftwood

Post by driftwood »

With reference to the Coombe Stilleto photo which is the late Barry Reece Maguire the yellow blue car just out of frame is Mike Laws stiletto a car he built himself with hewland mk9 and March 733 uprights
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Post by ganderson888 »

Here's a post made in the Newbie area which
mikedao wrote:thanks for the welcome been a member in the past be 65 soone so i will not be doing a ards test will be doing hillclimb and sprints, trying to find out whoes car i have may be the ex brian davis car :?:
1i got the car off robert knox nice fella
2 who did robert get the car off?=i forgot to ask him
3 was hillclimbed/sprinted late 80s by nick frain/tony oldfield ref p0pular classics sep 1990 pages 68 to 71
4 the car was at torque speed in leicester i think in a bad state i think after a crash at brands hatch 75ish?
5 ref popular classics it said the car had 2-litre engine driven by race driver nick brittan formerly owned by george bevan in the 60s?
6 ref pop classics the car shown the cutouts in the bonnet are the same as brian davis car the catch for the passenger side door
is the same o the drivers side looks to be g15
the scoup for the air intake drivers side rear is the same as brians car
7 please could you allso put this in the space frame area for me thanks DONE!
8 i live in taunton somerset the car will be restored but not by me cant say to much yet thanks mike
Graham Anderson
Graham's Imp Spares
mikedao
Car Model: davrian imp thanks to robert knox

Post by mikedao »

graham thank you for doing this i hope to jog a few gents into a reply i will try to get pics thanks again mike
mikedao

Post by mikedao »

i hope this worksImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage

mikedao

Post by mikedao »

sorry to all it has taken me two days to get photoes on here then mess it up by loading it three times i would not let it beat me
silly old git :oops: feed back would be good thanks mike :D
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 »

mikedao wrote:sorry to all it has taken me two days to get photoes on here then mess it up by loading it three times i would not let it beat me
Well once, twice, three times a Davrian(?) then and looks like another of the Davrian Special saloons that's been re-discovered.

Has it been in the South West long and how much yellow paint is on it below the "red bull type" camo finish?

There used to be a yellow Davrian saloon that was used quite a bit on the SW hills in the late 80's early 90's, by Phil Gleed and Alistair ? Think they were from Frome or somewhere near there.

The old Charles Barter Davrian special saloon was also being used in the CSCC series last year.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

mikedao wrote:sorry to all it has taken me two days to get photoes on here then mess it up by loading it three times i would not let it beat me

Thats ok im sure 1 of the moderators will come along and delete the extra sets of pictures and dont worry you are not alone we have all done it ,glad the car has been rescued and will be great to see it out getting used

col
mikedao

Post by mikedao »

ImageImage

Image[/img]

teddie 2003 yes you are right this write up popular classics sept 1990 thank you for the info

col thanks again for chiping in thing should fall into place in the next few weeks
working on till i am 70 to pay for it no joke
need the boys to chip in fegards whoes car it is
thanks again mike
mikedao

Post by mikedao »

ImageImage

i will try to post the first two pages later today my head shot of to bed thanks gents mike linked to my photobucket
michael.chapple@yahoo.com.
thanks mike
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 »

mikedao wrote:thanks for the welcome been a member in the past be 65 soone so i will not be doing a ards test will be doing hillclimb and sprints, trying to find out whoes car i have may be the ex brian davis car :?:
1i got the car off robert knox nice fella
2 who did robert get the car off?=i forgot to ask him
3 was hillclimbed/sprinted late 80s by nick frain/tony oldfield ref p0pular classics sep 1990 pages 68 to 71
4 the car was at torque speed in leicester i think in a bad state i think after a crash at brands hatch 75ish?
Well according to the info from the NDR web site http://john.rawlins.com/ndr1/page24.html

The Brian Davis car had the rear end as a spaceframe to take a BDA and Hewland gearbox and your car looks like its all f/glass rear end. It looks like there might be some pictures of your car on that web site as well, pics 24 & 26.

Have a chat/email John Rawlins at NDR as he might be able to help you as to some more history on your car. Or Driftwood (Kevan) who is also on here might know something about your car, as Kevan knows a lot about the special saloons.

Steve
mikedao

Post by mikedao »

i have emailed john it was him that thought it might be the brian davis car thanks mike. i know the rear end was space framed
on the davis car but the bodywork would be the same when the hillclimb boys got the car frome torque speed the rear axle and engine had long gone and the car was in a sorry state.
thanks for keeping it going mike
ps i would like to get moore pics of brian davis car i have serched the web no joy enyone out there have eny thanks mike
this is another photo that john rawlins sent to me
oneofapair
Car Model: ginetta

Post by oneofapair »

Think you'l find the Brian Davies concerned here;info@autoquip.co.uk .Pretty certain thats the man.
driftwood

Post by driftwood »

Davrian Imp info
The car mag article is full of major inaccuracies
1 Nick Britten never drove a Bevan car he drove Fraser cars in the 60s
2 George never had a Davrian Imp
3 George's 2 litre car was a Stiletto driven by Rob Mason originally built by Tony Dickenson
4 Brian Davies car was 1300 BDA car it wasn't space frame it was fibreglass like the rest of the Davrian Imps
There where some space frame cars built by other people with similar looking davrian bodywork fitted
I did speak to Brian many years ago about his car and sent the info to John Rawlins to put onto his thread
mikedao

Post by mikedao »

thank you for the replys
just trying to get some history onthe car and save it frome the tip
engine wise=1040 supercharged and hewland mk9 alot of money
zx10r and chain diff and mounting frame half the above
i have a pot of 10g for all of the car
the class the car will be in is sports libre
have to think on this thanks mike
mapman
Car Model: Spaceframe Rawlson Imp and ex spaceframe Stiletto

Post by mapman »

Mike, same dilemma I had with the Rawlson spaceframe - went with the ZX10R as the most cost efficient way of getting it back on the hills. Presently awaiting new body shell from Chris at Fiberclass.
See you there!
Paul.
mikedao

Post by mikedao »

hi paul been folowing you on uphill nice work
emailed douglas westgarage ref diff it seems i will have to bring the drive forword of the gearbox to the diff
i do not have roome in the back for mid engine do not want to cut the balkhead ,i will have to offset the engine to the right
and offset the chain diff to the left not much i hope and use a shaft of the gearbox to drive to the diff :roll:
just need to find someone to make we love old imps :lol: thanks mike
Roy Sims
Car Model: Spaceframe Stilletto, Singer Chamois

Post by Roy Sims »

Hi, New on here but I have been watching for a while. If that is the Alister Fenwick/ Phil Gleed car it is the original Davrian Imp that Charles Barter had. I know because I picked it up from Golden Springs as a bare shell and rebuilt it, ran ti for a while then sold it to Alister and Phil. I stripped it back to bare fibreglass, so if you remove all of the paint the last that you come to before the primer should be bright yellow front and most of the roof a wide bright red diagonal stripe and a pure white rear end.
I' m currently rebuilding the Orange car on one of the earlier pages (29 or 30) that was owned by Iain Leinster, this is a aluminium monocoque, with a Jarvis (i believe) body shell draped over it. The suspension was March I believe but this was robbed before I got it. I'm now building it with Formula BMW centre lock uprights and suspension of my own design. The car that we run at the moment has suspension of my design and this had 2 sprint FTD's only last weekend so I know it works. I will post pics when my build is a little further on, as I like to get on with the work and generally can't be bothered with the pics until i'm done.

Regards Roy Sims
Roy Sims
Car Model: Spaceframe Stilletto, Singer Chamois

Post by Roy Sims »

Right, I've had another look, the car I own now is the 77 car on page 27 (but not in that condition when I got it) it si also the N Hepburn car on page 28. I also resurrected the the 44 car on page 28, the Nike Imp. that was also built from a box of bits. With Blackbird power it was extremely quick, when I fitted the Blackbird motor I left all of the mounting points for the Imp engine and box on the car so that anyone wishing to convert it back could do it easily. But 162 BHP and a sequential box for £ 500.00 is hard to resist.
By the way I have had several steel competition Imps and a really quick Brain Luff Clan.

Regards Roy