Irish Clan minor miracle

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Irish Clan minor miracle

Post by bks974c »

Despite having this since 2009 it seems that I don't have a seperate topic for it.

So here goes - I'm booked for a Knockhill Track Night on the 31st March along with my brother in his 306 Rallye, several of the MX5ers, Keith (ex imper in his 944) so it was time to get it out from hibernation, early start saw me up at the shed by 8.00am, first check the new Octavia Scout electrics work with the trailer - NO spent the next 2 hours looking for the fault which turned out to be a fried trailer module - don't ask me how it works but having Canbus it only requires 2 wires to tell the module which lights to operate and two for power - Vodoo magic. I'll try to order an new one tomorrow.

Next on the list is the the hydraulic ram for the tilting trailer - last time out bringing an Imp back to Edinburgh for Paul Coulter it didn't fully extend due to a small leak thats been present for some time, took it off and put it in the back of the Skoda :D

Took the new tyres I had ordered to replace the Yokahama A509's that gave me the willys, although nearly new they are old and hard with an alarming lack of grip in the damp and wet, dropped them off to be swapped and dropped in to my brothers nearby where we stripped the ram and replaced the leaking O rings then picked up the wheels with the new tyres and back to the shed.

Swapped the wheels from the track day slicks - the plan was to leave the Octavia at the shed and take the Clan home and come back with Amy (she lives nearby but would be at my house later) and collect the Octavia, set off on the long way home stopping in at my brothers again before continuing - on the way I rembered than I had cashed in the tax disc when I laid it up - S?H*T. Back to the shed and swap cars again :(

Back home I cut the grass then grabbed my documents and went to Asda'a Post Office - open to 6.00pm :D and retaxed the Clan from the 1st March. Filled and bled the hydraulic ram, had my dinner and the Amy dropped me off on her way home. Refitted the ram to the trailer and the faffed about with the windscreen washers on the Clan which I had noticed weren't working earlier in the day then set off home, got onto the bypass and lost power **** , indicated pulled over from the outside lane and headed for the slip road.

Its now after 9.00pm so its dark and no torch - check fuses by phone light and bash fuel pump all to no avail - no breakdown cover at the moment so phone my brother who takes some convincing that its not a wind up and I have really broken down. Anyway he agrees to coming out and bringing a torch, while waiting continue looking by phone light and find the inside cap very dusty and on checking the rotor arm very wobbly and the cap heavily grooved just then Craig arrives. Check the car for a spark - very weak one - I suggest going home to get a spare cap and arm but Craig not convinced going there and back only to find that wasn't the problem was the best plan so we towed it home along the motorway with the only light provided by the occasional flash of the hazard lights (side light on but don't provide much illumination) accompanied by the sound of the salt being thrown up by the tyres against the uninsulated fibreglass wheel arches :shock:

Arrived safely home and untied the Clan and pushed it into the drive and waved a fond farewell to my brother, stuck on a spare cap and arm and tried it again only for the battery to cry enough ! . Put it on charge and will give it another try in the morning.

Scott :evil:
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Re: Irish Clan

Post by The Nun »

bks974c wrote:don't ask me how it works but having Canbus it only requires 2 wires to tell the module
Scott :evil:
Most new cars have this system now but its sometimes Can'tbus too, it isnt foolproofed enough yet.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Changed the Cap and Rotor Arm and fired up instantly with the recharged battery :D

The enforced Plug Cut shows them to be a fine colour :lol:

Now the question is whether the loose rotor arm was cause or effect, did it become loose because it was hitting the cap or because it was loose it hit the cap :?

The cap when fitted can be moved slightly could this be the cause - Moose already identified this as a potential problem on his rally car, have ordered some new items will see how they look.

Also ordered a new trailer module so hopefully have everything working for the weekend.

Scott
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

bks974c wrote:So here goes - I'm booked for a Knockhill Track Night on the 31st March along with my brother in his 306 Rallye, several of the MX5ers, Keith (ex imper in his 944) so it was time to get it out from hibernation, early start saw me up at the shed by 8.00am, first check the new Octavia Scout electrics work with the trailer - NO spent the next 2 hours looking for the fault which turned out to be a fried trailer module - don't ask me how it works but having Canbus it only requires 2 wires to tell the module which lights to operate and two for power - Vodoo magic. I'll try to order an new one tomorrow.
CAN bus works like this. Basically, each unit on the bus sends a data packet instead of being hardwired and only sending voltage or current (depending on your viewpoint). The data packets are allocated to specific units on the network, so only those units respond. The units themselves decode the data packet and take action according to the command contained within it. :D

I do a little work related to CAN-enabled systems in my job. :) It's clever stuff and enables modern vehicles to do some fancypants stuff (adaptive headlamps, anyone? :P ) that would otherwise be difficult to implement. Of course, the flipside to all this cleverness is that it costs a bomb when it goes wrong, which it will, of course. :roll:

Scott, your tale above reads like an unusually bad nightmare! :? Have you identified the fault? It reads to me as though the distributor shaft bearings have had their day. The wobbling shaft and the rotor arm in particular may have taken out the distributor cap.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Its still Vodoo to me, depite having a degree in Applied Physics with Electronics mind you electronics was much simpler 30 years ago :lol:

No nightmare just some of these things, I prefer it to go wrong when it did rather than at the track night. Tonight took the Clan out for a blast and all seems well, its done 700 miles since the engine and ancillaries were built so unsure what the cause was. I have checked the bearings and no play in the distributor shaft, wondering whether I had immobilised the car by removing the Rotor Arm and not put it back on properly at some stage. Anyway time will tell, I'll be keeping an eye on it.

Trailer module arrived today, fitted in a few minutes and all working again, because it was checked before I need to use the trailer there is no panic to sort :D

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Been using the Clan for work as the transfer box on the Octavia Scout seized yesterday due not filling it correctly when I changed the fluids :shock:

Not the ideal vehicle to use but better than shanks pony :lol: Last night after dropping the Scout at the shed I had a check to see how the cap and rotor arm were doing and noticed the base plate was loose - tightened the screws and fitted a new cap and arm not noticed any difference but not let me down so far
roll on Mondays track night :D

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bks974c wrote:Been using the Clan for work as the transfer box on the Octavia Scout seized yesterday due not filling it correctly when I changed the fluids :shock:

Not the ideal vehicle to use but better than shanks pony :lol: Last night after dropping the Scout at the shed I had a check to see how the cap and rotor arm were doing and noticed the base plate was loose - tightened the screws and fitted a new cap and arm not noticed any difference but not let me down so far
roll on Mondays track night :D

Scott
What's not to like!

I love commuting in the Clan .. :D

Don't you find it interesting picking off the big guys in moderns? :)

Or iz I just a hoolie? :?
Clan004 :twisted:
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Being a self employed handyman transporting my tools etc is an issue never mind where do I put 8x4 sheets, fitting a kitchen just now and have a load of stuff to take to the tip - doesn't really work with the Clan :roll:

Temp solution is to buy another Octavia Estate this time a 2.0 petrol to keep me going until I get another transfer box, tomorrow I'll see about stripping the old one out and give the Clan the once over before the track night on Monday, I keep my quick driving to the appropriate places. :wink:

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I iz just a hoolie then? :|

(I see what you mean RE: Clan as a workhorse... :) )

Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Last track night was cancelled after hanging about for an hour wating for the fog to clear, rebooked for Easter Monday the 21st.

Some footage from last Sundays track night at Forrestburn Hillclimb, pretty slippy at first then track improved until the rain came on heavy, had a couple of half spins but avoided hitting anything.

Cap and rotor arm have proven trouble free since replaced and cable tied clips in place

Scott
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Your Clan sounds awesome, Scott. It goes okay too! :lol: :o :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Yes one of the better sounding (and looking) cars there! 8)
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Todays track night was superb - weather great, good mix of cars and everyone considerate, lots of opportunities to have a dice with other cars. Clan was going great and handling brilliantly - well it was for the first 29 miles (30 minutes) when chasing my wee brother in his 306 Gti6 when there was an almighty bang and something fell at my feet - so backed off and looked up again to find the window shattered, so headed for the pits. Yes he had kicked up a stone :shock:

Removed the remains and took out the back window but the organisers were'nt happy to let me back out, so back on the trailer but the positive side after asking about a refund they are giving me a credit for another track day :D

So now what to do for Imp Ecosse :?

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

With my next tracknight coming up next Tuesday 3rd its time to get the Clan ready

First on the list was to fit a new alternator as the current one has been under charging and although it had not caused any problems it is a little discorncerting wondering if there was enough electricitrickery to get home.
DSC01957.JPG
On removing it the bracket was broken - it wasn't when I went out on the last tracknight as I had removed it to replace the regulator pack to see if that would sort the undercharging - not tightened il properly :shock:
DSC01958.JPG
Then have a look at the cap/rotor arm and again there is signs of them clashing, the arm show witness marks the cap is actually in contact with it and not just the electrode which is stopping the cap seating properly as well as the rotation causing the cap to move about.
DSC01959.JPG
Filed the bottom of the rotor arm and it now sits off the cap, filed the electrode in the cap flat again and refitted - all seems fine but carrying a spare in the car anyway.

Next was to fit a temp gauge as the fiesta/clan set up not the best - too a bit longer than it might have as don't know Ford wiring colours so had to test each circuit to identify the wires I needed to splice into.
DSC01980.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Got to say special thanks to Dave Weedon first for supplying me with a screen - one of the local guys was going down to pick up an engine from him and on the off chance I contacted him about a windscreen - he had one he was keeping for a future project but let me have it and would get one from the club saving a lot of hassle trying to get screen sent. Top bloke.

When I went to fit it I found that it was delaminating - not something initially obvious to either of us due to the dust and protective wrappings. I contacted him about the issue and he said just fit it and well sort out a price - I offered him half the price of a new one (£220) and he comes back with "thats too much and unfair on me" and refunds me £150.

What more can I say a real gentleman could easily have agreed to my offer but no. Big Thanks Dave :D

Both Screens fitted without breaking them although I did have the rear one fall through when fitting the seal insert :o
DSC01976.JPG
Worst bit of delamination rest is hidden by the seal and sunstrip
DSC01977.JPG
DSC01978.JPG

Scott
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Last item on the list was to fit the new rear shoes supplied by Mike Dent (Moose) another Top Bloke.
DSC01969.JPG
Contacted Mike about several set of his comp shoes and got talking about how good I found them on the front of the clan but did experience brake fade in the extreme on the track, he suggested trying them on the rears and sent a set to see what difference they made and I agreed to provide feedback and monitor brake temps for him.

Took the Clan home tonight to bed in the shoes and make sure all is well - it sure does go well :D

Now on the lookout for a rear cage would consider full cage, doesn't need to be to current spec as for trackdays only so if anyone has one please get in touch.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Not strictly Clan news but on arriving home in the Clan yesterday I was met by Karen saying her Sunbeam Imp Sport is broken -engine keeps reving and won't go over 50 mph. Quick test drive and initially pulls away OK nothing wrong with the engine change up and no further increase in speed but revs rise - boll*cks clutch is slipping. Instantly lay the blame at her door because it can't be more than a year old although the last time was the rivets that hold the clutch cover together had come loose (recon) and was casusing a rattle although it drove fine.

Can be bothered starting it, it will wait until tomorrow (Sunday). Engine out, new clutch fitted Karen dropped of at work all done by 10 o'clock.
Karen was not very impressed by the Clan, even less so when I showed her how quickly it goes :lol:
Had to apologise to Karen when picking her up - Clutch plate hadn't even fully bedded in -still see some of the maching marks in the lining, but 3 fingers missing from the cover. One was still in the bell housing, the other 2 were awol but there were signs that the did not leave quietly :mrgreen:
DSC01981.JPG
DSC01982.JPG
DSC01983.JPG
Anyone any suggestions on the possible cause :?:

Slotted back in easily, might as well get it serviced and sort out any issues while I'm there. car starts first time idles for a while and then dies and won't restart. Check for sparks and all OK there, fuel - carbs empty :? Not likely to be the new fuel filter not really much that can go wrong apart from leaking, try cranking and no fuel coming from fuel pump - change fuel pump, prime and fires up straight away, will see if this sorts the problem where from cold it would start on less than 4 cylinders and chug for a few seconds before all 4 kick in - once it had been started for the day it would be fine. Very difficult to identify the cause as you only have a few seconds to check it.

Clean and adjust brakes, grease kingpins until I get to the osf and something amiss - kingpin bushes absolutely gubbed frightenly so, so will be taking Karen to work again but have swapped the Clan and Skoda around.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Karen's Sport definately taken the huff with me probably for neglecting her.

Bottom shock bolt seized solid - had to cut through both sides at the mounting with a hacksaw blade
Spax shock adjuster corroded away to nothing - binned it

Kingpin came out without issue and Andy G's kingpin bush tool made the whole job so easy, no more messing about with various sockets. Although I ended up using the a kingpin that I have been using as a drift for many year just needed the mushroomed ends filed off first and managed to reuse the cotter pin an welch washers with new bushes.

The fun came when I jacked up the front and noticed a clear liquid pouring out the back - smelt like petrol so checked carbs
not there, on looking closer its coming from the crankshaft oil seal. The replacement pump had been leaking fuel into the engine over night - so drained the oil and flushed it through twice and refilled it must have used 3 gallons of oil in 2 days. Nice clean internals now and identified the area for the oil leak - the crankshaft oil seal which is now on the list to do.
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Tonights tracknight at Knockhill was superb the rain earlier in the day cleared to leave a dry sunny evening :D
I was joined by my brother in his 306 and fellow member Keith in his 944, local member Bill P popped along to watch. Did over 100 miles of flat out motoring in the 2 hours, still buzzing. :mrgreen:

Good mix of cars out and everyone behaved themselves, only 2 red flags one for mechanical breakdown in a "westfield" and a wheel falling of Fiesta.

The Clan was going well, the new temp guage gives a more accurate idea of temp rather than the standard imp gauge - normal sits just over 80 degrees (think its got an 82 degree thermostat fitted) on the track it sat about 90 but if I backed off for a couple of laps would quickly drop down to the 82 again.
Then I put the heater on and the blower and that held the temp about 85 no matter how hard I drove it.

Oil pressure 60 psi above ideal when hot and 45 at idle.

Only incidents this time were the exaust falling off - weld broke and lost the oil filler cap.

The new comp brake shoes from Mike Dent worked superbly - no fade at all normally quite gentle on the brakes but not tonight in fact never gave them any consideration as they performed well - took a couple of temp reading when I pulled in the pits and saw 160-170 degrees which will have been higher but will have cooled slightly slowing down and driving into the pits. All 4 drums were around the same temp. If looking for brakes for your Imp well worth considering the ones from Mike. Remember the clan has drum all round and a rear rad

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bks974c wrote:Karen's Sport definately taken the huff with me probably for neglecting her.

Bottom shock bolt seized solid - had to cut through both sides at the mounting with a hacksaw blade
Spax shock adjuster corroded away to nothing - binned it

Kingpin came out without issue and Andy G's kingpin bush tool made the whole job so easy, no more messing about with various sockets. Although I ended up using the a kingpin that I have been using as a drift for many year just needed the mushroomed ends filed off first and managed to reuse the cotter pin an welch washers with new bushes.

The fun came when I jacked up the front and noticed a clear liquid pouring out the back - smelt like petrol so checked carbs
not there, on looking closer its coming from the crankshaft oil seal. The replacement pump had been leaking fuel into the engine over night - so drained the oil and flushed it through twice and refilled it must have used 3 gallons of oil in 2 days. Nice clean internals now and identified the area for the oil leak - the crankshaft oil seal which is now on the list to do.
You know it makes sense to do an electric fuel pump conversion for her? (Yours'll have one - why not hers?) :wink:
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Nothing wrong with the mechanical pump just don't throw a 50 year old pump on without stripping and checking it first :oops:

Scott
imporium
Car Model: Hillman Husky Singer Chamois Commer Imp Van

Post by imporium »

Hi to anyone with an Irish Clan, I have for sale a full length Dural underbody guard from my works competition irish Rally Clan, does not cover engine & tranny, having a clearout. :wink: ...... Malcolm... Clan004
" Keeping the Imp Alive & Kicking & Imp Club Parts support with discounted Parts Supply"
http://www.malcolmanderson.co.uk
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Video - Clan comes out of the pits at 6.55
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

bks974c wrote:Video - Clan comes out of the pits at 6.55
You certainly gave the camera car (Scoobie?) a run for it's money!

Clan showed great turn-in and he couldn't match you on some corners!

Just the straight-line/terminal speed (as ever) where he had you - sounded like you were probably close to the rev limit in top when he passed you? Any idea what revs/mph you were pulling when he passed?
Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

No idea the rev counter only goes to 7k and under reads if you remember Curbourgh ?

Will have just changed from second to third at 7k at the entance to the pits, change from third to fourth just after the top of the rise so will have been in third when they passed (if you look at the previous lap look for the wee puff of smoke at the exit of the pits that the change point to top)- pulling 90-95 just before the turn in for Duffus usually reasuring touch of the brakes then accelerate through the corner still in top but if really brave can take it flat but not having a roll cage err on the side of caution -usually. Gearbox is usual 3 &4 CR.

Scott
brakedisc
Car Model: Clan Crusader, Sunbeam Imp Sport

Post by brakedisc »

Your line at the hairpin is a belter. Not seen that before. Just as well it is not an MSA event or you would be sent home for exceeding track limits. Just back from Oulton and they have sensors on the white lines. If you go over them it triggers a camera that takes your picture and it is then a visit to the Clerk of the Course. Motor Sport Vision also monitor the track limits and if you make a habit of "exceeding track limits" you will not be allowed back.
ylee coyote
Car Model: clan crusader

Post by ylee coyote »

What is the spec on your engine ?

It looks fast !!
M-Power Clan Crusader
Saab Turbo X
Saab Turbo T16s
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

[quote="bks974c" - Voodoo magic. I'll try to order an new one tomorrow.

Scott :evil:[/quote]

There was an IMP based car called the Voodoo, I remember seeing it at the Stoneleigh Country show, think it was a one or two off, quite a nice looking beast.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Unusual line maybe but with little power its all about carry as much speed as possible through the corners.

Some more video from the Scooby - I pass as he comes out of the pit lane but never gets close.

Engine is fast road spec - heavily modified head but with sport valves R20 cam and twin 40's - massively torquey engine (at least for an imp)

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Been busy with the Clan - MoT'd passed with flying - brakes were 112% efficient - 150 on the fronts and 160 on the rears running mooses comp shoes all round.

Track day at Forrestburn last week and Knockhill on Wednesday - very hot 28 degrees according to the display in the Scout when I arrived.
Clan ran hot all day about 95 and was wary of pushing too hard - will be putting a couple of heater matrix's in beside the headlight pods via the heating system.

Cronic understeer all day - had put a set of old roadtyres on and the high track temps may have been the cause but suspect the tyre pressure gauge maybe misreading so have ordered a new one and will check.

Last run of the day from 4 mins
Whether the off was caused by the understeer or the miss coming out of the corner or more likely both. I did another lap and returned to the pits and the fuel was low - filled up and queued to go back out but never got to check it due to someone going off and problems recovering them we never got back out - but do have have £25 credit towards the next one :D

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Another couple of track days completed and some mods done.

Fitted an MX5 seat that I had left over from the MX5 restorations I completed over the last year so it cost me nothing.
The original seat although very comfortable was only low back and wanted something that offer some head restraint
it was also fixed so meant that it was only suitable for someone of similar stature as myself.

Minimal mods required to MX5 seat frame, all fitting points apart from one just needed a tweak in the vice to straighten.

One needed cut and welded to straighten
DSC02021.JPG
DSC02024.JPG
Captive nuts welded in
DSC02023.JPG
40mm square tube to give seat squab suitable rake
DSC02025.JPG
DSC02026.JPG
Captive nuts added
DSC02027.JPG

DSC02029.JPG
Rear support added after moving seat belt mounts backwards
DSC02030.JPG
then glassed in
DSC02031.JPG
At the tracknight at Forrestburn I found the belts slipping as they were routed round the seat, so took the stanley knife to the seat and cut a slot for the harness - much better and more comfortable
DSC02032.JPG
Scott
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Neat work, Scott. :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Some photos of this afternoons work
DSC02034.JPG
DSC02039.JPG
DSC02043.JPG
DSC02044.JPG
Scott
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS »

Looking good there Scott,bring it back down to Wicked Welsh sometime. :wink:
Loving Imps since 1963!!
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Looks interesting but I don't know what it is and whereabouts on the Clan the pics are taken??

Is it the engine bay or boot? :? Clan004
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:Looks interesting but I don't know what it is and whereabouts on the Clan the pics are taken??

Is it the engine bay or boot? :? Clan004
I'll guess front and auxillary rad for extra cooling taking air from under indicator. Also guessing Irish Clan boxes in these void that are left open in original.
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Not having an Irish Clan (apart from the wife and her kids :lol: ), I didn't get where it might be...but now you've said it's an aux rad, I think it must be looking into the flip-up headlight cavities with the pods removed? Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Yes, its a pair of heater matrix's place in the headlight pods area, I did not want to fit a front rad nor start cutting the shell about.

As stated earlier the car was running hotter than I would have like on a particularly warm day but so was everyone else but the don't have a fragile Imp engine to worry about :oops:

The installation was completed today including an bosch aux water pump to push it around, it has too many joins for my liking as the pump and matrix's have 19mm connections and its been plumbed into the existing 16mm heater circuit. I bought a 10m roll of 19mm heater hose today and will at some stage run it front to back saving the joins - thats assuming it works as hoped.

Scott
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

I hope the modifications sort your slight cooling issues out, Scott. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Cheers Paul

Got 1 autotest and 3 track days in the next fortnight so will be well tested :D

Today fitted across the back silencer to ensure it meets the noise requirements at Blyton and Caldwell Park, will take pics tomorrow.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

GURNSIMPS wrote:Looking good there Scott,bring it back down to Wicked Welsh sometime. :wink:
Probably not this year but on the list for next year.

Scott
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

T'is a good Clan. And folk should take note that a tuned Clan is a thrill to drive - esp with the torquey 998 Scott has developed! Clan004
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Across the back silencer added to the existing system
DSC02045.JPG
T'd into the existing tailpipe and the end capped over with a removable cover. All joins are slip joints allowing a little energy to "escape" before it reaches the end of the exhaust hopefully keeping the noise level down for the track day noise tests.
DSC02046.JPG
The bike can came off the white rally car, also stole the duct and side window which I cut down to fit
DSC02047.JPG
DSC02048.JPG
Imp heater duct to the oil cooler (imho badly located as no air flow over it) and a couple of slots cut to feed cold air to the top of the filters.
Plan for the future is to fit longer trumpets to the webers and a cold air box fed from the new duct and relocated the oil cooler.
DSC02049.JPG
DSC02050.JPG
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Had a great day at the grass autotest sliding about in the Clan, didn't do anything for the times but great fun

Some of the eclectic mix of cars
DSC02054.JPG
DSC02053.JPG
DSC02052.JPG
Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Work continues getting things ready for next week.

Sump baffle and large capacity sump fitted
DSC02056.JPG
The disadvantages of the rear fan and going off road
DSC02057.JPG
DSC02058.JPG
Today spent making up tyre rack for all the wheels I'll need to take :shock: nearly done :D
DSC02059.JPG
Scott
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Nice work, Scott. The car, the engine and the trailer are looking great. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

3 steps forward and 1 back :roll:

Spent some time readjusting the trailer brakes as only the fronts were warm when I brought it home on Sunday. Seem nicely balanced now.

Had a tracknight at Knockhill tonight, the main aim was to check out the changes made for its trip south to do a couple of track days -the cooling mods seem to work - temp sitting around 85 degrees so happy with that, new tyres have stopped the cronic understeer I had last time out, new seat and harness mods make it a much more relaxing place to be. New comp brake shoes bedded in and adjusted.

There always has to be a but, the but was the misfire, for the first half hour everything was fine and then an occasional miss that got worse but disappeared after coming in the pits and going back out but only OK for a couple of laps. ? temp related - component rather than engine. Fuel pump playing up?

The positive is Blyton Park is a full day event so gives me time to have a play and hopefully sort.

Scott
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Was planning to set off about 10 this morning but worked on the Clan.

I have a feeling the problem is fuel related as it always initially missed coming out of corner (fuel surge ?) so tried draining the fuel by connecting the pump to the jerry can and switching on the ignition - nada so its the pump ?

To be doubly sure I drained the petrol and put it in Amy's car and there in the pipe were some little bits of muck - blew the line out with compressed air and reconnected and filled the tank and the pump is working.

I've partially plumbed in a facet solid pump so it will be a 5 min job to swap them over if it turns out the SU pump is faulty, apparently they really don't like pulling against a blocked inlet and it causes the points or electronics to fail in protest.

Almost ready now for the off, be at Blyton Park from 8-5 tomorrow if anyone around. See you in Huntingdon.
DSC02064.JPG
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Back home now, Clan and trailer put away. 930 miles with the Skoda and trailer at 31.9 mpg not great but better than the 15-17 mpg I got out of the clan on track although both are probably optimistic.

When I arrived at Blyton Park was unsure how the Clan would be after the issues at Knockhill but the issue of the mis was fully sorted by cleaning the muck from the fuel tank. I did 20min or so sessions and managed to do 170miles in total and by the end of the day had sussed all the corners. All I had to do was to top up the oil and adjust the brakes -still on drums.

Cadwell lived up to all the praise it had been given from those that had done it before, it certainly rewards the brave, the Clan was awesome. Did a 20min session, a 10min then a 40min one - the first was was showery, drying for the second and fully dry for the final one. Final Count was 68miles - 31 laps.

Still looking for consistent laps by the end of play, regularly missed the apex at the hairpin nearly collecting the bales on the outside several times, my usual problem of trying to carry too much speed - need to try slow in fast out. Barn was fun turn in, boot it and catch the slide usually 3rd unless chasing someone and looking to get past when I'd use 2nd. All the guys were great, the Clan did not have the top speed to past under acceleration but was quicker through the corners, they would lift and allow the Clan past.

Think there was more speed to be carried into Coppice but the climb and powering around Charles was great, initially missed the turn in for the Park Straight as its a blind approach over the crest but hitting it consistently by the end flat onto the straight. Its a steep hill on the straight and it made no difference to top speed whether using 3rd or 4th, it topped out at 90mph before braking for Park.

Chris Curve was fantastic powering round the speed building back up to 85mph before taping the brakes before the turn in for the Gooseneck, I did once try just lifting but the back end stepped out. I caught it OK but at that speed it wasn't going to end well so erred on the side of caution from then on.

Turn in to the Mountain was good but never really happy with the right hander and rise -3rd meant it was off cam and took a little while to build up again. 2nd just felt too brutal especially as the car went light over the crest. By Hall Bends it was shifting again - entry flat and sliding as it went through the chicane, getting the unsighted exit (at least it was from the low Clan) before the Hairpin was very rewarding.

Some footage from the M3 that was out - it was phenomenly quick. Clan 20s in.

Scott