hillclimbimg without alternator

Red Baron
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: caledonian

hillclimbimg without alternator

Post by Red Baron »

Hi just wondered if anyone has Competed without an alternator? Could a battery last a day of competition say making 4 rums with just an electric fuel and water pump to run. Grateful any advice.
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: hillclimbimg without alternator

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

I know that ERic (pimpdriver) ran his Hillclimb/Sprint Clan without an alternator prior to going EFI/Turdbo So yes of course you can do it esp if you use an extra external battery to turn the starter motor over. The fuel pump won't drain much and if you use a sub 7Amp EWP or use a temp controller so it's not running full pelt all the time (BTW the Davies Craig EWP80 I use runs at 7AMP max) - then definitely it's do-able. Probably get away with the tiny Odessey PC680 battery too. I use the PC680 but with an Alternator on a road /trackday car but even so it has a lot of reserve for such a tiny battery!
Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Red Baron wrote:Hi just wondered if anyone has Competed without an alternator? Could a battery last a day of competition say making 4 rums with just an electric fuel and water pump to run. Grateful any advice.
Ive run for 4 days on the battery without realising the alternator wasnt charging, it had failed but the warning light stayed off giving the impression it was charging.
That was daylight driving 10 miles each day at that time normal road use and electric fuel pump.
It was a heavy duty battery and not that old, so I guess it all depends on the state of your battery and how old it is as to how long it will last before things fail?
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Red Baron

Post by Red Baron »

Thank you that's very helpful.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

All the special saloon imps run with no charge system we just make sure we have a full battery 15 minutes qualifying and 20 minute race some times 2 races in a day

col
Red Baron

Post by Red Baron »

That's very interesting will give it ago with out the alternator then. Thanks.