Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) Christmas Update!!!

sammy the sturgeon
Club Member: No
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) Baby Steps!

Post by sammy the sturgeon »

It's a conundrum of perplexity, a riddle of a puzzle, a mindboggling debate! I love it! :lol: :lol:
philgsmith wrote:Hi Paul,
Sorry to hear you've had problems with your back, but we're glad you're on the mend now.Even if you're only managing to a few small things at a time, they all add up in the end. That's what we hope anyway!
Lesley and Philip
Thanks L+P
a few small bits is all I'm able at the moment, so with that in mind today I did another little step!

ground off the old adjusters on the front, back plates, and put nice shiny new ones on!!!

Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) Baby Steps!!

Mike Hanna wrote:Hi all. I know the manual says to fit the rack plates with flanges facing up,but logic says to fit them facing down as the alloy clamp blocks don't have a chamfered edge to match the curvature of the plate flange. I have looked at 5 of my low mileage cars which are untouched in the steering department and found that the "63" Delux= flange up, the two "64" Zimps= flanges down, "66" Delux= flange up and the "74" Super= flange down. I think it all depends on which production line the rack/steering/suspension assembly came off. Cheers. Mike
I'm going with your '63 Deluxe then as thats what she is and leaving them edges up (or down in the upside down assembly picture above :? )

Well today has been a good day for the back- it seems to be improving alot, did a bit of Gardening, picking up twigs and things and pulling a few weeds, and chatting wth the neighbours quite a bit- you know nothing strenuous, bit of shopping, then later on this evening it was back to GLAd's bits and pieces

Mounted the back plates for the front brakes on the hub

dug out some new bits
fitted the cylinders
and the shoes

Then had a think about whether to go traditional brake hoses or go for the goodridge, braided stainless.
but i did notice the difference in length of the goodridge

So I'm still thinking on that one!!!

a productive day today!

Tomorrow is 'Hydrotherapy day' thats swimming to you and me!!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Oh how I wish I was up in Scotland- just looking a the pictures and video's here and on the facebook page makes me really Jealous- if it wasn't for my bl@@dy back I would be there!
So I had to console myself with sorting out the hubs.
rear new brake bits- cylinders, shoes, springs fitted- but I need to sort out the bearings in the back before I can go any further

Only thing thats not new are the Hold down springs and cups, But when I'm back at the yard there's a box of shiny new ones waiting!

After I spotted my mistake on the picture I corrected it!!

So thats as much as i can do on the back, so I returned to the front hubs

Quite a combination of bearings here - but they all fit.

And finally after removing lots of paint from mating surfaces!!! running chasers down all threads, they got put back as a unit.

So A little bit more done, but wish I as in coventry now-guess thats why it's so quiet on the forum!!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Cheers Noel,

Health update, consultant has discharged me as I'm getting better than needing an op so back to the normal docs now, ween me off the tablets as necessary, etc so well on the road to recovery, I'm back to work from this week for 'light duties' so all going in the right direction yeahhhhh :D

but as the sun was shining I kept my self busy
I came to fit the brake pipes that I could to the hubs and wasn't happy with the ends so I borrowed a sykes Pickavant brake pipe flarer and - wow the ends are so much better - so i reflared all the ends, to make them much nicer.

Got the front ones fitted, kunifer is much firmer to bend than copper!!

This weekend I also managed to get the rear bearings out and new in with relative ease after having the bearings in the freezer over night and the arms in the hot sun for the afternoon, the outers just needed gentle taps, the inners a little heavier but not much at all so i was able to put the back plates on and pipe them up too

Problem is that the more components I get together the heavier the pieces are and I need to be careful of that!

And while I was cleaning things up I did this aswell and gave it a quick coat of paint

so a steady but productive bank holiday weekend,

Off up to look at GLAd and see what I need to do to her body to get it ready to bolt some of these bits back on her.
Paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

colimp66 wrote:All looking good Paul.
Good to hear you are on the mend now aswell, take it easy & don't overdo it once your back to work..

Good luck.

Cheers
Col.

Thanks Colin- I must have a peep into your thread and have a nosey what your up to soon!!
ImpManiac wrote:That's great news on the health of your back, Paul! :D :D

GLAd's undercrackers are looking rather good. 8) You must be pleased with how she's beginning to come together.

IM 8)
Thanks paul, I'm pleased with whats happened so far, though it's only a tiny weeney bit of what needs doing.

Well I'm back at work- all be it on very easy duties, and It gives me a little time to spend with GLAd while I'm up there!

And yes as the title suggests- while I have been away she has been a very dirty girl.

There were two big hulking cars hanging around her and when I went back it was time to get them started and out of the way - so that done I spent a little time with GLAd
She has been FILTHY or should that be FIW---FY (spoken like Al Murray - the pub land lord)

Look at her!!

(appologies- it was quite dark and the camera didn't auto focus as good as it should)

and after all that polishing I did!!
[img]http://i1269.photobucket.com/album ... .jpg[/img]
so an hour later soaking the sponge and leather thats been festering in a bucket for at least 4 months she had a blow off, rinse and leather

still shiney underneath it all, few bits that still need polishing though!!

Then came the task I have been dreading- the removal of all the masking paper, tape and foam edging!!!!
It must have been on about 9 months at this point and it wasn't all willing to come off easily, luckily (touch wood) the hours of flatting that I did means the paint had held onto the car rather than the tape!

Partially revealled

Then fully revealled

I have loads more to take off covering screw holes, bolt holes, grommet holes etc and now she needs cleaning in all the recesses that polish can get into,
but it's a bit of a transformation to see her like this!

soon....but very steadily!!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) She's a dirty dirty girl!!!!

chris d wrote:very nice paul
done a cracking job there (or should I say uncle john has) :lol:
glad the back is on the mend
now get a move on
still be done for the national
if you work 36hours every day :lol:
see you later
chris d
Imp025 Imp005
It was a combined effort chris he told me how to prep it and stepped in when he could see I was making more work for him to sort out and he shot the paint - cos i haven't had as much practice- but through the process I learned so much and I will be eternaly greatful to him.

not planning on National this year It would be too much stress on my back to do it all for then.
ImpManiac wrote:Your (and Uncle John's) hard work is really showing in those photos, Paul. GLAd's a little stunner! 8)

IM 8)
thanks paul
HARTWELL MK1 wrote:will she be wearing her stiletto's or her flat shoes! (high or low suspension)
She will have her original pigeon toed suspension on Jeff!
Dom wrote:Looking great paul! bet you cat wait to start fitting bits to her! :D keep up the good work Imp029
Thanks Dom. speaking of fitting her bits

I was away on business yesterday and when I got in this morning Uncle John, superstar that he is, had recoated the back passenger wing for me last night so now she is painted everywhere,
she just needs a few spots polishing on her and her paint will be done.

(and the colour looks so much better with a bit of daylight on it)

But more pressing is that where she is, is going to be another spray booth, so she needs to be a rolling shell as soon as possible. So she can be moved right to the back of the shop- the plus side is she will then be on a ramp so i can work all around her, under her, over her - ('wombeling free' for those that remember it!!!)

so this afternoon I have carfully applied some carpet to the top of the axle stands -3 of which I could lay my hands on straight away - the fourth had vanished!!!
and get her high enough so that I could get underneath her on a crwler board! my theory is that laid on my back is a good position fr it so besides getting on and off it it should do me some good at the same time.

So up she went on axle stands on good engineering breeze blocks

tonight I have got a kitchen full of imp brake pipes, suspension and steeering etc ready to take up tomorrow and start fitting some bits to her.
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
ImpManiac
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ Got to agree. :wink: :wink:

Lovely work! And as Lars said, it's good to hear that you seem to be on the mend. Take care, though, especially fitting suspension bits. :!:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
sammy the sturgeon

Lars Hagermark(DJH705) wrote:Happy to see the progress. Even happier to see you're getting better. :D
more progress today!!
kilty wrote:Excellent mate. The best looking ones usually are the dirtiest. :wink:
Well, I've been warned before that this is a forum for family viewing, so I will just answer :wink: :wink: :lol:
ImpManiac wrote:^^ Got to agree. :wink: :wink:

Lovely work! And as Lars said, it's good to hear that you seem to be on the mend. Take care, though, especially fitting suspension bits. :!:

IM 8)
Thanks Paul, I am mending pretty well but today I felt a twinge while I was on the crawler underneath her so at that point I took it to say - Time to give it a rest !
So what I have done will seem totaly random at this point

First bit back in

Front shocks and springs on

Back shocks on

And I have put the brake 3 way and four way splitters on and loosly put the pipes in, but I had forgotten my bender for the pipe work so not fitted properly yet.

Not sure if I will get up over the weekend, but if I do it will be taking it easy again but I'm writing lists like - find the handbrake grommet - buy some more grommets etc
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
Dom
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by Dom »

Looks great :D so excited to se the rest of the progression! keep the pics coming, glad your feeling better :)
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

It's all progress. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
sammy the sturgeon

Dom wrote:Looks great :D so excited to se the rest of the progression! keep the pics coming, glad your feeling better :)
Thanks Dom
more pics!!! on go on then!!
ImpManiac wrote:It's all progress. :wink:

IM 8)
It is indeed - a little more today too, but only a little

At the meeting on Wednesday Pete Witkowski, gave me a genuine MK1 washer bag hanger, it got cleaned straightened and painted
Thanks Pete

I remembered the Handbrake Grommit and fitted the handbrake

and I fitted the long brake pipe that goes from the 3 way to the 4 way junction.
problem was I fitted it to the wrong side!!! ie the right of the channel, so i straightened it again and fitted it to the left of the channel problem is I did it so neat in the end that its exactly where it should be and is about 5" too long so i need to shorten it and re do the end of it at some point.
I fitted the pneumatic pipe to the accelerator pedal but I can't find the bolts to attach it to the floor so fed the pipe through anyway
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) She's getting rebuilt--slowly

I have borrowed a crawler/creeper board from the garage for a 'few days' (mwwaaaahhhahaha-lol)
and do you know I've gone from lying on my back in bed to laying on the creeper under GLAddis, so my excuse is it's quite healthy!!

On the issue of my back it's getting better day by day and is now allowing me to do a lot more and I feel much better for it.
I have to do the gettting up and down in a thought out way but it's not hurting

So here's the pictorial update of activity for the past week or so, bit at a time inbetween getting back to work
got the accelorator pedal in, along with the tube for it, but i need some of the smaller bolts so can replace those rusty ones in the bottom

Got my light seals in with the correct plastic rootes rivets (thanks Steve-Cally)

Fitted the engine cover spring retainer, - didn't want it resting on the body finisher anymore!!

Got curious as to what she would look like with part of her face - though i still need some smaller bolts and some tiny nuts to secure thse top plates!!

few bits now in the front

brake and clutch pipes in the front almost as neat as how I want them

And at the back - kind of in place but not fully secured - put the cross member on to see where I was with the back pipes and then got a call out so it still needs sorting

I still need to clean the dust and, polish dust off from lots of places, but then she will get her full polish once she is on her wheels- hopefully early next week- back permitting!!!
but I'm waiting for the nylon fuel pipe that I decided on in the end to get here and it should have been here last thursday!!! but I'm pressing on with bits and pieces in the mean time!!

oh and SSSSSSSSshhhhhhhh she's sleeping!!!!

though it looks like there's a ghost in her engine bay!!!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

kilty wrote:I hope you're using Wincey Flannelette sheets there?! :wink:
they are soft and thin and light- and freshly laundered!!! lol
chris d wrote:nice job paul
keep at it, soon be bombing around in her.
chris d
Imp025 Imp005
well maybe !!

Little update - its bits and bobs between jobs so just a few pictures of the first corner in place, nothing tightened up yet cross member is in and torqued up though.

copious amounts of copper slip being used (must wipe the excess off the shocker bottom as it looks like rust!!!

Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Been at GLAddis some more today between jobs

First thing I had to tackle was the rear bearing on the n/s driveshaft, end went in fine, hub on fine, tighten it up and it was as though it was a taper bearing!!!
As soon as the nut was on finger tight there was a great deal of resistance to the hub turning, so it was a sit back and think about it one.
There should be no reason for it to tighten unless the outer races weren't in the right place/ stuck etc and the nut was tightening the inner races -in effect pulling them nearer than the outer races.

So i stripped it al down took the shaft out, eveything looked alright- I could tap the inner against the spacer ok- nothing stopping it from moving to the point where the outer started coming out so i knocked it back in and rebuilt it.

Same again- as soon as the big nut was finger tight it resisted turning - so i turned the nut one flat tighter and it locked almost solid.

Strip down again!!!! but I decided this time to take the brake back plate off as well, to see exactly what was happening, so I part built it on just the suspension arm and everything was fine, turned ok, so, as I had another cig and about the third cup of thought liquid, and was just staring at the bits laid on the floor, I noticed that the inner edge of the brake back plates 'grease lip' (plate inside thats spot welded to the back plate to make a little lip ar the back) was shiny! and a look at the hub showed that it had marks in my lovely painting as well!!!!

So to the vice with the back plate, removed the paint from the grease lip and the hub back and when I put it back together I put the four nuts in the back plate and just went finger tight with them, put it back together and made sure the rear plate was central and hey presto the bearing is fine with the nut a little way tightened up.
tightened the brake back plate bolts up and it's still all good - turns out there is a tiny little movement in the back plate tolocate it(but only very tiny) and the clearence between the grease lip and the hub is literally thousandths so if you go to thick on the paint you may have the same problem too!

Anyway as it was all hunkey dory it was time to put that trailing arm on- and use the right bush bolts this time!!

I took the other side - that I put on yesterday - off as well and put the proper bolts in that too, so now I have this

and both rear arms are on now

there's still lots of tightening and torquing up to do but cant do that till theres weight in the car etc, but the back end is almost a rolling shell now - front suspension next week!!!

Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

bazzateer wrote:Great work as usual Paul, really looking forward to seeing this one.

Not quite sure when it's going to be bazz- but I'll introduce you to her when she's out and about!!
Bobbycham wrote:Looking really good there , pleased to see some pipework pictures as they will be used as reference for when new ones are fitted to Pet. I didn't take them off so it's really a case of look at pictures on here and common sense.
Really satisfying getting her back on wheels eh? won't be long now.
Thanks for heads up on the paint on backplates problem.
Bob
Imp003
Hope you got the pics I mailed you Bob- they are the ones I worked from to put them on mine
and secretly I'm glad my picture overload is helping others here.
Should be this week she' back on her wheels !!!
ImpManiac wrote:Lovely work, Paul. :D :D Interesting about the back plates too. Mental note made. :!:

IM 8)
Thanks Paul, It's nice when people like yourselves post a response - just keeps up the enthusiasm of what your doing.

Another little update.
Got to work Monday morning about 10.00am and had to do the exhaust gasket on Laura Landrover (my company car if you like) first, she was sounding like a traction engine and all her turbo boost was just making more under bonnet noise and filth, than power,

Then it was time to give GLAddis some love!!

I got myself a trolley (remember the old bread trolley- comes in really useful) some carpet on top and spent the afternoon building up the front suspension ready to be wheeled under and lifted into place

Then at 7.00pm as I was admiring my handy work, I got a rather long job, sheffield to nottingham, to manchester airport, to oldham, to sheffield!
So it was half past 2 this morning when I got back to the yard!
Time for a well earned cuppa and a cig,
but you know when you look at things and think - it would only take half an hour to get that loosely bolted in!!!!
have I got the right bolts to hand?
yeah what I'll do in the morning is hang it loosely on the shockers kind of like this, oh I'll just pop an odd bolt in her to se what it would look like, may as well do the other side as well just to get an idea.....
they are the bolts I will need for the floor plate at the back and those for the front, and they would go in like that

so I thought what the heck, go on, get it in place!

Nothing is torqued up or fully tight yet as I need some different length bolts in place of some of the ones in there,

But looking at these pictures- I should dust the parts before I put them on as they look awful, I should wipe all the copperslip excess off, and hand prints, that are all over before taking pictures!

And the thing that bugs me more is I should have painted those shock absorbers before I assembled them a couple of years ago!!

any way about 3 am I got another call out to this

So monday started early and finished about 7.00am on Tuesday and it was full and productive inbetween- I'm off for some more sleep!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Lars Hagermark(DJH705) wrote:I love this thread. Your commitment and your pictures, the excellent write up and experienced Impers commenting and giving advice. I'm sure GLAddis and I are equally grateful for what you're doing. (Our reasons are probably different but that's another matter. :wink: )
Thanks for letting us follow your project. :D
Take care, don't rush the mend of your back.

Thank you Lars, I sometimes wonder if I do a little too much? picture and gabbing wise - the back is healing and at the stage where i need to keep it active- it aches sometimes at the end of the day but its all going well.
ImpManiac wrote:^^ Very much as per what Lars said. :D I am learning from what you're putting in here too. Plus it is inspiration for my own car projects! :mrgreen: I just need to convert that into action. :wink:

IM 8)
Thank you to Paul you know what they say - actions speak louder than words ...lol ...I know sometimes real life gets in the way- believe me I know

Little more of an update not much actual work but a bg step!!!

She's got her (spare/ scaggy old) wheels on!!!!!

And.........She's on her wheels

So time to move her to the ramp at the back which means she can be on top :lol:
at the side :P
Or underneath me :o

Up in the air

and a proper look at her underneath

Just to make sure your paying attention-------Can anyone spot the mistake!!!

I've also realised there were no horns on her when i got her so - well I'll put an advert on to see if anyone has any horn mounts cos all the ones advertised for Imps have the wrong mounts.

and also - somewhere i have all the brake pipe/fuel and air pipe clips
these

but Can I find them???? no - looked high and low for them and I know I put them safely in a box, just can't remember which one or find it any where
any body got any??
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: .

Post by Lars Hagermark »

sammy the sturgeon wrote:Image
Just to make sure your paying attention-------Can anyone spot the mistake!!!
Considering it's almost 50 years since I saw one I may be wrong - but IIRC the pneumatic tube should go through the rightmost grommet.
sammy the sturgeon

Lars Hagermark(DJH705) wrote:
sammy the sturgeon wrote: Just to make sure your paying attention-------Can anyone spot the mistake!!!
Considering it's almost 50 years since I saw one I may be wrong - but IIRC the pneumatic tube should go through the rightmost grommet.
that may be true but the end isn't connected so i can easily swop it but thanks for the heads up - but there's a more fundamental one on the previous pcture!
and a bit more obvious if i put this picture up
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
HARTWELL MK1
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Post by HARTWELL MK1 »

[quote="sammy the sturgeon
and also - somewhere i have all the brake pipe/fuel and air pipe clips
these

but Can I find them???? no - looked high and low for them and I know I put them safely in a box, just can't remember which one or find it any where
any body got any??[/quote]

The ones for the fuel / pneumatic pipe are different on the mk1 to take the larger plastic air pipe!
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp Still not finished
sammy the sturgeon

GeoffFarthing wrote:Rule 1 when changing brake pipes (or any others). Keep the old ones as patterns.
Geoff F
I did Geoff- thats the one in the picture, the rest I put in a special box, in a special place, for safe keeping - unfortunately too safe for me to remember where!!!

HARTWELL MK1 wrote:The ones for the fuel / pneumatic pipe are different on the mk1 to take the larger plastic air pipe!
Yeah I noticed that too when I hid them away!!
Noddy wrote:looking really good , just go careful with that back of yours
Thanks noddy, the back is healing very well now, i'll be lifting engines on my own in no time :lol: :lol: :lol:

philgsmith wrote:
The flexies do look long. I'm not sure I understand your explanation though. Mine connects at the inner wheel arch and drop down to the cylinder, with the copper pipe looping over the stub axle between the 2 cylinders. At the moment I can't imagine the flexy going any other way. Maybe time for bed and a look at ours tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing your car sometime.. are you going to Wicked Welsh? Lesley thinks we need a photo together because we seem to be on parrallel paths !

Phil
Here you go phil- this is what I meant - I had done them like this

And they should have been like this

All corrected today including making longer brake pipes! and they fit in a more sensible way too with less bends in them.
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

philgsmith wrote:Ah, got you now. That would make a big difference. Looks good now though, and its all good practice. I had fun with the petrol tank on the weekend, its been in/out more times than a ................ well you know what I mean.

Keep up the good work.

We seem to have lost a box of bits too - washer jets, washer hose, particularly.
How giddy was I today? almost did a little dance
Smile on my face
something to do
FOUND THEM

So I cleared and fitted them, and it all looks a little swanky down there now!!

So i got on with a few little bits and pieces as well

found these in a box, cleaned them. laquered them,

Got some pipe and clips for the end to the reservoir, I would have liked to use the original clips for the detail, but they were rusty and looked fragile so i went for the new 'period' style ones.

Questions for the knowledgeable - can't get my head around the thread size for the petrol filler neck to slam panel bolts, the wee tiny ones and i need to order some - or find some so they are nice and shiny
the brake fluid is the same thread but I'm presuming they are countersunk judging by the recess for them

cleaned this up in readyness for when i get some too

Like I say - just little bits and pieces today!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

A few more bits and pieces done between jobs on GLAD

I would just like to say - I hope Waxoil is in as many cracks and crevices on GLAddis, as it was on me when I had done!

'Waxoiling' is filthy, dirty work and when your doing inside box sections you never really know if you have it all covered.

I did it with a waxoil pressure pot and had that stood in almost boiling water, and it flowed really easily and gave a good fan on the end of the tube
(I test sprayed it into a plastic milk bottle first to make sure it was flowing OK)

- but a word of warning to all, it you don't watch for the end of the tube coming out of whatever orifice it is in, it will go everywhere.
However, if you do watch for the tube coming out of the orifice- it stings when it sprays in your eyes!!!!
Word to the wiser ones than me, wear safety glasses!!!

judging by this - that I could see, its not too badly coated (oh yeah and it blows lots of rubbish out from the heater channel when your applying it)

lathered every where theres a box section- I think (hope).

made sure there was plenty in the inner cills/heater channel and today I have fitted the new hose in them,
It was really easy, just pushed them in from the rear side pocket and it popped out at the front arch- covered in waxoil!!!

Cleaned the pipe up and threaded it through the front, and left plenty so it can be cut when the time comes,

Then to getting the lovely bend in it to turn outwards and up over the arch- it was a little bit 'trying but after a few minutes i realised the slight kink in it was because it had twisted so i twisted it back and it was nice and smooth and round rather than squashed

over the wheel arch and out of the back, it was much easier than I thought - the only hard bits were the bend in the bottom of the rear pocket and actually getting hold of the pipe to pull it through the back- and that was because it was covered in waxoil!

but they are both in now and looking good

Only problem is that now i need to spend about a day getting splashed, sprayed and smeared waxoil from all the surfaces where it shouldn't be!!! (that includes me!)

Once I had done that I loosely fitted the fuel tank too.
thats been rattling, strapped in the back of the Land Rover with about 2Lb of nuts and bolts and about a gallon of petrol in it for the past fortnight!

Now a question for anyone out there who knows!! This bolt is where the centre of the spare wheel goes - does anyone have a picture of the plate/bracket that goes on it to hold the spare wheel?
just want to know what it looks like so i can replicate it
would be much aoppreciated
Paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
HARTWELL MK1
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Post by HARTWELL MK1 »

HARTWELL MK1 wrote:I have 2 you can have the incorrect 1, If I can work out the correct 1 for my car!
or
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp Still not finished
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) A few more bits and pieces!!

The fluid debate has been solved - with the purchase of a litre of Automec silicone Dot 5 brake fluid.
should be here at the weekend so that will be a job for next week!
I'm just curious how much fluid the brake system holds- I could do all the maths but i can't be bothered!

Well a few bits and pieces done
I found a smaller(narrower) engine mount bush for a Mk1 - was in cyprus but arrived the other day.
next was how to get the bush into the mount?

When I mentioned it at the garage, they said use our press, so after 10 mins faffing to get everything in line before pressing it it was in

and put it on the back panel to see what it looked like

and as you can see I've fitted the catch for the engine cover lock

and the lock it's self

The lock fits nicely

(yes, I need to do some dusting and polishing in places)

and the number plate light

Some of you may remember I recut some new door cards and covered them in a different vinyl, (way back on Page one of this thread), well i decided to go back to the original ones and remake the cards again, cleaned up the old vinyl and glued it on the new cards.

got the old rear pocket bottoms that I had used all sorts on to clean the ink off, but it hadn't worked so when I showed it John he said to try some thinners on it- i was a little worried about the vinyl its self.

but it came up clean, just softened a little so i will have to stretch it a little over the new card

Do you think it will hold while the glue sets??

So I got the rear wheel arch covers that had been painted with the gold chassis paint/hammerite type paint

was a lovely contrast to the silver that was everywhere else!!

and took the thinners to those too

They came up well

but they are ripped so I have to sort something out with them- whether it's a patch to go over the hole or a new piece of vinyl (though i don't know of any sources of some fresh vinyl!) I'll have to think about that one!

and the other bits are the front grill and number plate mount, and the side light/indicator on the drivers side!!

so she is starting to look like she has a bit of a face

After some help now,

The concealed fixings for the sunvisors and the interior light- what are they called and what size are they?- just so i can look for some on line and order some as there are three missing- i do remember one sunviser was screwed into some wood that had been shoved in the hole - but that just won't do so i need to get some

these are the fixings I mean

Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

617sqn wrote:
put your handbags away
I was just pointing out that the paper clips are sometimes known as Bulldog clips : I've no idea what Paul meant :lol: :lol:

Anyhoo, Gladdis is looking fabulous, and we can't wait to drool over her at the earliest opportunity ......

Andy G. Image

Drool- that involves wetness---NOT allowed lol

Only one job done today

Engine lid handles and catches

I would say a two minute job but the shiniest of the four handles I have had a mashed up thread on it for the last half and the thread chaser wouldn't recover it, and the others weren't quite up to the mark, so i had to needle file the first half of it off, and restore (knew i would have to do it at some point :shock: :lol: ) the remainder of the thread, which took a good while
but they are both on now and fit nice and securely and hold the engine lid firmly, so I'm happy with the end result!!

One of the things i need to sort out (though `I'm dreading it is the wiring loom, and resistance check it all before I thread it into the car, Oh and think about adding a few missing wires in it!!!, and a few extras for ....well.... a few extras!!!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

sammy the sturgeon wrote:- 'fuse box in the luggage compartment' extending all wires to go too and from it - my mind exoploded! loom got put back in the box!!!
HELLLLLLPPPPP! :roll:
When originality gets in the way of safety or common sense mods that could save the car or your life then in my book its just stupid .
Just my opinion mind.
Singers fuse boxes are in the boot , by using Lucas original wire colours and proper ripaults crimps the wiring does look sort of period , fuse boxes dont but its behind the boot trim anyway.
As your car has very little in the way of electicery accessories your wiring would be quite easy to do.

Vuskys . its easier to alter a standard loom fitting them here

Formally known as " Noddy "
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) More bits and pieces

Thanks all

Few bits ove the past few days
Got the decals on the dash and heater box, though they look bad here I'm obviously just a practicing photographer!!

Took them up to Uncle John and he gave them a coat of Satin lacquer while he was doing something else with it,
then I rebuilt them all

took them up to GLAddis today but only managed to get the heater box fitted.

bit more done any way!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) More bits and pieces

Pictures!!!
Finally got the rear window to close and put a little pressure on the new rubbers, but, I'm not happy with it!
I hope its enough to compress the rubbers a little and at a later stage put an original catch plate on cos the gap is huge and its bound to leak!

I made this one up out of Aluminium as i said in the last post

campared to the original one it's far too long

But it closes now

but the gap is HUGE

I have also put the rubber in the drivers quarterlight to see what it looks like and trial fitted it without the Glass

I'll get round to doing more on that when I'm up there next.

Experiment Day!!!!
But today has been a bit of an 'experiment day'
brought on by the impending arrival of a rather rough Dashboard to use as a template to make a new one - The cardboard bit.
while thinking about what to make it out of and searching the net for millboard and the like I looked at the centre piece that fitts under the bonnet and how much it looked and felt like 'Greyboard' Available from hobbycraft, its with all the picture mounting stuff and comes in about 2.00 mm, 2.50 mm and 3.00 mm board
dug some out from my picture framing supplies and had a play with it

I got some odd bits and tried boot polish and the surface is too waxy to take it, got a tin of satin black aerosol car paint and gave it a thin coat, didn't want to make it too wet or it might bend (hold that thought) gave it another coat and left it to dry!

quite happy with how near the finish is to the panel under the bonnet
are they similar? dash and underbonnet stuff?

While that was drying, I got another piece and thought about bending it.
what i did was get a spoon and wet it, the drop that was in the spoon meant I could run it along a straight line with the edge of the spoon!
I did that and left it a minute and did the other side down the same line (though that was a mistake!)

Turned it over and wet it down the same line and gently bent it, it seems to be made up in about 5 layers and the outer layers when a little wet do expand, but that enables you to bend it.
I taped it to a ruler and put it on the radiator to dry and see what it was like when it did.

I'm happy with that

so the result of todays experiments were quite productive!!

Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) Rear window - I got the answer why!!!

Well - at last an answer- but i don't know about the solution.........

i dug around in the old boxes from when i stripped GLAddis (some may call me a hoarder- but in this case it's quite relevant that I did!)
I found the old rear window seal- and there lies the answer to the problems I'm having!!!!

The new seal..........

The old seal...........

Side by side for comparison

so this explains why the window is soo far off and the difference between the early small catches and the later longer catches,
It also explains why keiths felt soo much smaller than the new one I have

But then theres the headache- of ..........

Does anyone have a N.O.S. MK1 rear window seal???????? pretty please, with bells on!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Pog wrote:It was just a fascinating read! What I loved was the amount of pictures to go with the words.

I plan to. I'm one of the club's newest members, so doing all the research I can before jumping head first into a project of my own!

Pog
I like pictures- they show it so much better than a description some times!
find one soon - they are fun!

Well the solution to the back window is on its way from Malcolm when he's stopped having a 'holiday' in the field with the rest of you in Wales!!!
so hopefully that will be solved soon.

I don't think I mentioned on here - to add to this years medical situations, on Thursday I had a little operation on my tongue, nothing major to worry about but had to have a little lump taken off, so I'm unable to talk normally at the moment - some might say thats a good thing- others may say the surgeon should have cut more of it away! but suffice to say it feels as though I have a peg on the very tip of my tongue and it smarts, can't eat solid food either so its a soup diet at the moment, or rice pudding with some jam in it, or similar stuff that doesn't fill you up!
I'm starving.

So to take my mind of it I had a little time with GLAddis, call it therapy.
I put the bonnet on today

I was going to sort out the sidelights till I looked closely at what I had done!!!

Put the bonnet seal on too - The safety hook is on but not the actual bonnet locking pin, ging to remove a headlight as was recomended by someone on phil and Lesleys thread before I do that bit.
but I have the bonnet lined up - even though it's filthy.
was going to visit her again tomorrow but my brother needs a hand, so might be next weekend before I get up there now

Paul
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

lukesoanes wrote:re your seal issue, for future reference some of these look like they might work but would have to ring them for actual sizes i guess

http://www.phoenixtrim.co.uk/Portals/Ph ... 202012.pdf

hope it helps

cheers luke

Thanks luke - that ones stored in my bookmarks now, but Malcolm is soring me one when he's settled from WWW.

well I haven't had much time these past few weeks, It's one of those situations we all have at times, 'In the house long enough to untidy it but neve long enough to tidy it! i had to create a path to my bed the other night!!!
But yesterday, woooo hooo a full day on GLAddis up to the yard for 10 and nothing to stop me - yeah right!! total time spent on her was an hour and a half inbetween sorting out other work stuff!

But after reading Phil and Lesleys thread and the advise on there ~I thought, 'time to fit the bonnet catch and seal', with the advise that had been offered there, I took out a headlight just incase there were any problems, fitted the bonnet seal I put the spring bonnet catch in the lock before i attached it to the bonnet and checked it released- one bit of advise- make sure there is someone to catch it when you pull the bonnet release as it makes a very animated bid for freedom! :o :o
but it worked.

So I fitted the catch to the bonnet, lined it up, checked it was about right, and closed it.

With trepidation I pulled the bonnet release- it sprung up! yeaahhhhh

Tightened it all up, checked it worked a few times and then put the headlight back in. And it still worked!

So i got shiny bits in my mind and fitted the wing mirrors too.

I swapped the drivers side sidelight that was on the passenger side, for a passenger side one, I now have a few spare L717 lenses which I need sort out (god knows how I have collected all these bits)!

Connected up the wiring in the boot space for the indicators, side and head lights, and think that I'm going to put the fusebox just under the dash board when I have that fitted,
so not a lot but a fair bit for an hour and a half really.

Urgent things to sort out:-
I need to sort out the cardboard dashboard, then I can get on with the rest of the dash area and wiring.
sort out what I'm going to do about a headlining!
sort out the seal for the back window when that gets here.
They are the most pressing as they are holdng me up on other stuff.
then there's the rest of the sorting out to do!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) not much but a bit!

Well 2and a half months further down the line- not alot done- the new job is taking up all my time now and it leaves me little chance to get onto GLAd,
I think in that time I have had a total of four and a half hours at her!
hopefully the quiet christmas that is ahead of me will give me a chance to get a little done on her.
So the update is a scarce, meagre offering
at some point I put the internals into the drivers door!

And thats about all there is to report!

So to all a merry christmas and a happy new year see you all when I'm a year older!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
African Imp
Car Model: Hillman Californian, built 3rd February 1967

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) not much but a bit!

Post by African Imp »

Sammy,

I am doing a total rebuild down here near Cape Town, South Africa, the car is a one owner 1971 Hillman Imp deluxe, I am pleased to tell you that the body and floor pan was in near perfect condition!

The person I am doing the rebuild for sent me the link to your car, he can see some very similar works and Ideas between
the two cars and ourselves?

Some may be true but the amount of welding your having to do would have myself turning to a specialist welding shop.

Picture later.

Well done and I will follow your progress from today and next year!

Happy New Year

Roy Imp003 :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sammy the sturgeon

Re: GLAddis! (804 GLA) Playing with Col's dash!!

Well its been a while!!

Due to the change of jobs 12 months ago, and all sorts of other things going on I haven't had much time with GLAddis
But as I have a little time over the summer,
I'm trying....... trying to get my garage cleared, the Spring Special sold, various other bits and pieces out of it, so I can build a new garage!!
Then GLAddis can come home and I will be able to do the odd half an hour here and there.

So I haven't really done anything on her since April.

Its amazing how National can inspire you though!
A big thanks has to go to Col Rooney, he donated and brought me an old deformed torn dashboard to use as a tamplate to make a new one
and I took pictures- lots of pictures

So here's how I remade one...........
Dash from Col

I broke it down into it's component parts. and attached it to some 2.5 mm 'greyboard' from hobbycraft

and drew around it. Unfortunately the card isn't big enough to cut it out of one piece so there has to be a join in the front

and then carefully cut it out

Once it was all cut out my thoughts turned to how to bend the card, i had done some experiments with thinner greyboard ages ago but this is a little thicker so i tried with a spare piece to see what would happen if i cut it half way through and then bent it

Not a good look so I decided on the time consuming method of wetting the fold lines and letting it soak in and then a little more water along the line (fed to the right place with the use of an old glue bottle with a fine hole, and then applying pressure to hold it in place while the card dried.

doesn't look different to the original folds......so I continued on.....

You need to apply pressure to it while it dries though!!!

(Some of the more observant will see I'm not a big drinker and some of the bottles of wine are the same ones I used four years ago when I started GLAddis)

Fiddly bits!!!

Worth the perseverance though

I put it together as a dry mock up to see if it all fitted together

Then I had to think about these ------

A trip to the stationers to find some paper fastners
and cut them to length

They aren't strong enough to just push through so you have to cut each hole first in both pieces of card that you are joining. and I played with some scrap to see if they looked right and get the right length.

I cut all the holes and used some uncut ones to hold it all together.

I then took it apart and statrted glueing it all together and using the pins to hold it firm

And the end result after three days! (It could have been quicker if I owned a hair dryer to dry the folds, but as anyone who has seen me knows - I have no need to possess one of those!)

just needs a reinforcement at the front

Thats as it stands at the moment, the front will need an upward curve to meet the dashboard Rail, the slots for the rail securing tabs, a couple of light coats of matt black paint and I may put a few reinforcing 'struts' back to front on it, underneath, to add a little strength to keep it ridgid but I need the dash rail to check on that.

Hopefully this will help some others if they want to make a dashboard, if not they are pretty pictures anyway!
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily