MK8 Davrian - Alot of progress :-)

19James
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: '67 Imp Super

MK8 Davrian - Alot of progress :-)

Post by 19James »

Hi everyone
I'm sure quite alot of you will know and remember the MK5 Davrian that my dad used to own (I still haven't forgiven him for selling it :evil: ), well that was sold and went to Finland and has since been completley stripped and rebuilt but has also been converted to left hand drive.
After the Davrian went we bought a 2litre Zetec powered Westfield, we did alot with that car, we blew it up at Mallory round Gerrards (as you do :lol: ) thrashed it at Curborough, tried doing donuts in it with an open diff and we had pretty much rebuilt the whole car by the time we sold it. The reason for selling? Dad wanted a more revvy engined Westfield and along came a hayabusa powered one :twisted: Although both westfields have been awesome cars, Dad has always said that he's never been able to drive the Westfields the same way he drove the Davrian, so it was obvious really wasn't it? :D
I give you!!
A MK8 Davrian, we went and got it today from Tyne and Wear and after having problems getting it onto the trailer because of how wide the bl***y thing is we were home with it :)
It has proper Davrian fabricated wishbones with special driveshafts, 7x13 magnesium minlights, discs all round with a bias box, a 998 with a big valve head, piper cam, twin choke weber, a four branch manifold of some kind (looks a bit like a largebore Janspeed :D ) and a short exhaust box :D
It also has a lowered 3rd and 4th syncro transaxle that we believe was built by Malcom Anderson.
The car also came with spare springs, spax dampers, a set of twin 40's, a water pump, an alloy water pump pulley (that i'm eyeing up :wink: ) oh and a 915cc with an R20 :D
The brakes will need rebuilding, the driving position sorting, the fuel tanks cleaning, a new set of wheels and tyres so we can get it on the trailer a bit easier and just a general tidy up really :)
Cheers, James Imp004 Imp005
It was sat in the ex-owners garage for 21 years because of engine trouble and loss of interest.
James Ibbotson
Ibbotson Automotive.
1967 Hillman imp super - classic touring car racer.
Overall championship winner 2021.
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Re: MK8 Davrian

Post by impmann »

VERY cool, and good to hear that there's a Davrian back in the Ibbo household. 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
ChrisBenoy
Club Member: No
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy »

That looks very purposeful. Love the colour.
19James

Post by 19James »

ChrisBenoy wrote:That looks very purposeful. Love the colour.
We stopped at the motorway services on the way home and as I was walking back to the car, I caught a glimpse of the Davrian on the trailer and I could of sworn it was the MK5 being White with silver minilights :(
Cheers Tim, home feels "right" again :D
James Ibbotson
Ibbotson Automotive.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Excellent! :D Looks and sounds to be a great purchase. 8) It'll have a 1040 cc motor, Webers and limited slip wotnots before next weekend. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
tomcat
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super 1972

Post by tomcat »

Another toy to play with :D Well done.
When is it going to appear on my drive :?:
19James

Post by 19James »

tomcat wrote:Another toy to play with :D Well done.
When is it going to appear on my drive :?:
Couple of months or so (hopefully :D )
James Ibbotson
Ibbotson Automotive.
ibbo
Car Model: .

Post by ibbo »

just found the front wheels are scrap think they were 98 pcd and the holes have been elongated to fit what a bodge going to have to take it all apart to see what else i find bother :cry:
mark ibbotson
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS »

Fabulous car guys,I think this is the best looking of all the Davrians,when I did the Welsh Tarmac Championship in 1989 there was a bloke in our class with one of these with a race crossflow,quick old thing it was,we finally beat him into 2nd place and won the Championship but only just :lol:
Loving Imps since 1963!!
chris
Car Model: g15 turbo

Post by chris »

Yep, winning, like that lots. Once I've finished tooling around with the ginetta ill jump over to one of these :)
Wanted..... FREE STILETTO...... PM Me...........worth a try haha :)
My G15 page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/398397523543681/
19James

Post by 19James »

chris wrote:Yep, winning, like that lots. Once I've finished tooling around with the ginetta ill jump over to one of these :)
The Ginetta is the prettiest, the clan is the best road car, and the Davrian is the best to drive when set up right :D
I imagine a Davrian with one of your turbo'd imp engines would go like an absolute rocket :wink:
We have taken the master cylinders out which was fun (read: upside down on my back with my head buried in the driver's footwell :( ) we have ordered some new 625 master cylinders to go in because the old ones we don't really trust having sat for 21 years :roll:
James Ibbotson
Ibbotson Automotive.
Englander
Car Model: '67 Sunbeam Sport, G15, Davrian

Post by Englander »

ibbo wrote:just found the front wheels are scrap think they were 98 pcd and the holes have been elongated to fit what a bodge going to have to take it all apart to see what else i find bother
Hi Mark,
sorry to hear about the wheels, but they are not necessarily scrap, a good machine shop could put in some steel inserts at the right PCD , not a cheap solution but it certainly worth it for good wheels.
Good to see you back with a Davrian
Kevin
==>Why, Mr. Anderson? Why? Why do you persist?
==>Because I choose to.

Think Matrix, not Malcolm
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 »

As Kevin says wheels can be saved. I converted some 98mm pcd wheels using steel inserts. Not cheep but cost was mainly due to having to have the inserts made. I should have a spare of the inserts somewhere.

Rally Design due a quickfit wheel nut kit which replaces sleeve nuts. This uses conical inserts which are available singly and may be suitable. I've been meaning to get some to see as I have a set of alloys that were originally 100mm pcd and were drilled out on a jig to take sleeved nuts at 4inch pcd.

Contact me if I can be of help.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
lukesoanes
Car Model: hillman imp

Post by lukesoanes »

with regards getting wheels machined and fitting inserts this place supplied me with some 1" inserts for my wheels last year :D

1" should be enough to see some bodged wheels put right

http://www.raceways.co.uk/Washers_and_c ... ashers.htm

pretty cheap to ill see i i can get ia piccy of my converted wheel so you can see the fitted inert if you like??

luke
1976 imp super
1973 clan crusader
1985 fiat 900e amigo camper
1984 mini 25 turbo to be
1985 mini supercharged 1100
1994 audi 80
19James

Post by 19James »

Hi everyone
The master cylinders Dad ordered have been fitted and the pedal box sprayed with smooth black paint and it all looks rather smart :)
You can see the bias arrangement in this picture ^
We tried them in the car and although they are a little further away (at the end of their adjustment) i'm still a little cramped being 6ft3 but we are going to chop the pedals and arc weld them in the most comfortable place :)
James Ibbotson
Ibbotson Automotive.
19James

Re: MK8 Davrian - Alot of progress :-)

Post by 19James »

Hi everyone
A lot of progress has been made on the Davrian in the couple of months that we've owned it, The pedals are all welded and back in, the brakes are functional and working, the fuel system is working properly, the engine runs (very nicely after a new cylinder head and a 28/36) and the clutch is also working.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Y_IiT4hHA
Nice lumpy tickover due to the R20 cam shaft :D
I will post some pictures tomorrow.
James Ibbotson
Ibbotson Automotive.