WICKED WELSH 2012 DATES CONFIRMED

News /Chat about forthcoming Imp Club events and other non Club events
Colin Foster (heaps)
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: californian

Re: WICKED WELSH 2012 DATES CONFIRMED

Post by Colin Foster (heaps) » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:32 am

Stu is stuck on the M4 jcn 18 with a suspected failed gearbox, does anyone who is headed that way or lives locally have a good spare, he is being relayed to Pandy in hope!

Colin
graham_h_miller
Car Model: Hillman Husky

Post by graham_h_miller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:02 am

I've got a couple of transaxles in the garage and all the tools you need... do you know how to get in touch?

Cheers

Graham
Let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles...
Colin Foster (heaps)
Car Model: californian

Post by Colin Foster (heaps) » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:19 am

Thanks Graham, message passed on to Stu who is now being relayed to Pandy by the AA, he has your mobile number in case and will see you when you arrive. Thanks again and i'm sure Stu will be very glad to see you. Isnt this club great!!! :D

Colin
Richard Claydon
Car Model: 65 Ex Works Rally Car

Post by Richard Claydon » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:45 am

Hi all, we'll not be joining you this year as we're currently having a break in the sun!! Fear not though as Baz has this year's run of limited T Shirts for the event.

Enjoy

Cheers

Rich
Richard Claydon
81 Sport
67 Preproduction Stiletto
65 Works Rally Car
Dom
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by Dom » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Still haven't left yet, dad (Andy) just textd me this photo

"Stuart finds alternative forms of transport to WWW"

;)

Imp029
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
enfielder2000

Post by enfielder2000 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:33 pm

Dom

Can you let me know if they need need any extra tools,I'll be there in the morning for the run

Derek
Dom

Post by Dom » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Will do!

Imp029
Dom Smith
graham_h_miller

Post by graham_h_miller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:06 pm

I dropped up a trolley jack, 2 axle stands and a flattened cardboard box with the transaxle and he seemed to have a huge toolkit there as well.

Graham
enfielder2000

Post by enfielder2000 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:30 pm

I'll put some donut clamps in the car, just in case

Derek
Dom

Post by Dom » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Just sitting down to have our evening meal,

Aled gets stuck!
Dads imp gets a problem
Great views!

Looking forward to the quiz later tonight! :D

Imp029
Dom Smith
graham_h_miller

Post by graham_h_miller » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:43 am

Here's one photo from Llandovery Sheep Festival:

Graham
greengoblin
Car Model: SUNBEAM IMP SPORT

Post by greengoblin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:47 pm

Had a great time at www wish I had stayed another night as at the mo I'm on the hard shoulder on the m4 waiting for the rac front screen gone so hoping to be home sometime this evening so front screen needed ASAP
HARTWELL MK1
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Post by HARTWELL MK1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Have arrived home safe with roary, despite dodgy 25 year old donuts, and driving it hard on the welsh stages! 4 up :o

Charlette, has kitty recovered from the senic open air tour! :lol:
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp
LLF 519 sept 63 imp Williams car age 7
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:45 pm

greengoblin wrote:Had a great time at www wish I had stayed another night as at the mo I'm on the hard shoulder on the m4 waiting for the rac front screen gone so hoping to be home sometime this evening so front screen needed ASAP
If you can't get one locally - I have one the garden you can have for nowt if you fancy a trip to Northants to get it. (Toughened, not laminated).

Bad luck, mate.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
HARTWELL MK1

Post by HARTWELL MK1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:47 pm

greengoblin wrote:Had a great time at www wish I had stayed another night as at the mo I'm on the hard shoulder on the m4 waiting for the rac front screen gone so hoping to be home sometime this evening so front screen needed ASAP
One in my parents back garden in southall, toughened,
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp
stuartrf
Car Model: singer chamois mk 2 singer chamois mk1
Location: swanley, high brooms, tonbridge, hildenbrough,hadlow

Post by stuartrf » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:01 pm

hey guys

just wanted to say thanks to neal and tina for another fantastic weekend, the runs out seem to be getting better every year!
also i want to say thank you to everyone who helped me change my gearbox friday evening/ saturday morning
massive thanks to graham miller for the replacement box i think i took about 7 hours in total to get the box changed
i suprised my self when i went to give the box a 'quick test' and ended up in llandovery with the rest of the imps
and really put the whole car through its paces on the run back across the brecons
took me 4 and a half hours to get home and the car is working necely :)

it was a hugly enjoyable weekend and i cant wait for next year :D
Last edited by stuartrf on Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
child: 'why do you wear a full face helmet on your bike'
me: to protect my head, cause thats where the happy thoughts are made
Dom

Post by Dom » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Just got home after leaving at 1:30, i am sure dad will fill you in later on what happened, but we had a verry hectic trip back! meet
my new friends...
Mr AA man 1
Mr AA man 2
Mr recovery truck man!

Besides that, over all great week end! :D Massive thanks to the Gurns! se you all next year!

Bad luck Col, hope you get home safe!

Imp029
Dom Smith
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:51 pm

Glad you made it home Dom, never nice to see a broken down imp on the way home.
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Thank you to Neil and Tina for yet another superb event - great scenic run (100miles... give or take 50% or so :wink: :lol: ), the Rising Sun gets better year on year (although perhaps its time to remove Owen's legacy plumbing in favour of something that doesn't leak and doesn't sound like Concorde taking off) and was superb catching up with you all (even though our 'campsite' had to be at the local Hotel this year).

Finally thanks to Rob and his team at the New Inn... they coped really well with the influx of hungry Impers and the meal finished off the weekend really nicely for us.

Roll on next year. 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
greengoblin
Car Model: SUNBEAM IMP SPORT

Post by greengoblin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:24 pm

just got in what a journey colin foster has a screen so hoping to pick up Tuesday thanks for a brill weekend gurns.
tzarrobin
Car Model: Imp Super

Post by tzarrobin » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Line up at the Sheep Festival

'66 1220cc EFI Imp Super
'70 Skoda S100 (almost ready to return to the road)
glenzierfoot
Club Member: No
Car Model: Mini

Post by glenzierfoot » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Had a Great time at ww Got back home to wet Scotland with no problems.Big thanks to the organizer's of the event with a fantastic run out ,look forward to next year. Imp022 Imp022 Imp022 Imp022 Imp022 Imp022 Imp022 Imp022
Dom

Post by Dom » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:08 pm

tzarrobin wrote:Line up at the Sheep Festival

iPhone 5 for the win! ;) ?

Imp029
Dom Smith
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Yet another top Imp Club event, superbly set up by the Gurns and the team at the Rising Sun, and completed by those present, from near and far. And the raffle was up (down?) to the usual standard, despite the lack of clowns! Many thanks to all involved.
ken
Car Model: none

Post by ken » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:04 pm

lovely picture :) 13th year, been to every one! what amazes me ! even more cars than ever before and the quality of them are as good as the first meeting. gurn it could not happen with out you and your family! live in carmarthen and I know how much work you put into that (90mile :?: ) run (lol :D :D :D) thank you for a great weekend
philgsmith
Car Model: Imp - deluxe, BMW320d Touring, MGF, MGTF

Post by philgsmith » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:00 pm

We'd like to say a big thank you to Neil and Tina for organising another great WWW. Saturday's run was brilliant - just a pity we couldn't bring our Imp. Looking forward to the next one already (Hilda will be there - or else!!!)

5 Imps lined up waiting to travel accross Newport Transporter Bridge on Friday afternoon before most people had arrived.

Some Impers watching Clarke storming up around Llyn Briane - we could hear him before we saw the yellow flash of his Stiletto!!

Lesley & Philip
When you're in a hole - stop digging/too much to do, too little time
celyn
Car Model: Hillman Imp Mk3 Basic

Re: Wicked Welsh 2012 - Trip Report

Post by celyn » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:18 pm

(Longish post follows. Sorry, I got a bit carried away.)

Apparently there is an old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times". WWW was, as usual, excellent. It was also 'interesting'...

I (or rather the car) had been having problems with overheating. Graham Miller offered to help, so I drove over to his place last Tuesday and he flushed the system through to see if there was a blockage. There wasn't. What there was, was a thoroughly perished bottom hose, and a completely b0rked right-angled bit of hose at the front end. The latter solved its own problem by disintegrating, so when everything was reconnected it became necessary to by-pass the heater matrix. The drive home afterwards was chilly to say the least, so maybe the heater was doing something after all! Who knew? :lol:
The bottom hose was something we could do nothing about. I had no 'net access for a couple of days, so I sent a text to Aled to ask if he could ask on my behalf if anyone going to WWW had a spare. He thought he had one himself, and offered to bring it over to WWW on Saturday. Excellent :)

I arrived on at WWW just after it got dark on Friday evening. I pitched the tent, pumped up the airbed... pumped up the airbed... pumped up the airb... gave up, phoned home.
Having agreed to meet Charlie halfway (around 30-45 minutes' drive) so he could bring me a spare airbed, I set off back up the A465. I parked up at the agreed meeting place and when I turned the engine off I could hear the unmistakable bubblebubblebubble of boiling water. Drat.
Replenished water; drove back. I now had two spare airbeds and three self-inflating mattresses, 'just in case'. At the time, neither of us gave any thought to how I'd pack all that lot extra away at the end of the weekend... :roll:

Got back to WWW, pumped up second airbed... waited... still inflated... Yay! Went to bed.

Saturday morning, and I contemplated the scenic run. Now, I know those roads very well. Hmm. Overheating Imp, Epynt ranges... maybe not. So I stayed on site, watched as Stu Foster completed his gearbox change, and pondered some advice I'd been given about having a bottle at the open end of the radiator overflow hose to catch any condensate. I had what seemed to be a suitable bottle, but the overflow hose resolutely refused to budge from its moorings. Another pipe would have to be found.

Stu decided to test out his car, so off he went to Llandovery to see if he could find everyone else.
I needed to fill up at some point, so I ambled along to Abergavenny town centre, which I'd never explored before.

(It turns out that Abergavenny is actually rather fun to explore. Shoppers and history-lovers, have a look at this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abergavenny)

Anyway. My perambulations led me to - amongst other places - a tool shop that sells heat-shrink tubing, and a marvellous motor factors where I wasn't asked what on earth a Hillman Imp might be. I bought a length of windscreen washer hose and a length of braided fuel pipe for future use.
Back at the Rising Sun, I settled down behind the car to see what could be done. Chris Benoy had already carved a hole out of the lid of my bottle (I'm not normally trusted with sharp objects :o :lol:) so I disconnected the overflow pipe at the top, attached some heatshrink tube in its place, and a length of washer hose in the other end of the heatshrink. I carry a lighter in my tool kit, so I had a ready source of gentle heat... and it seemed to work! Yay! Go me!

After a bit, the others returned from playing about in Welsh MoD firing ranges, and I proudly showed off my handiwork. Several people very kindly pretended to be impressed.

At this point young Adam Gurner came running up with the promised bottom hose, and on Sunday morning the fun began.

It's a simple job to undo two hose clamps, remove the hose, fit a new hose and tighten the clamps, isn't it?
Wrong.
Notable amongst all the people who offered help and advice was James Henderson (ImpJimbo) who battled with the bottom clamp and finally managed to free it and the hose (which didn't want to relinquish its hold on the pipe at all) without swearing. Many thanks!
The system was drained into a convenient bucket.
Fitting the replacement hose was easy. Too easy. Ah. Oops... "It's too wide!" "How can it be too wide?" "Dunno, but it is..."
I remembered that Stu Foster had mentioned having a spare bottom hose, so I trotted off to find him. He produced said hose, and took the other one in exchange. I hope he can persuade it to fit properly should he ever need it.
This new hose fitted beautifully, and I hoped the overheating problems would be solved.

Time for a shower, clean clothes, and pack everything away, including the various spare mattresses etc I'd acquired. Well, it all fitted in.. but I was in danger of having an avalanche behind me. Never mind, we were all going over to Rob Machin's new pub for a late lunch, and that, I was sure, would make everything right. It almost did! The food and service were good; the company excellent. I found out after we'd eaten that Rob and his lady had done all the cooking themselves, because they don't currently have a chef. Thank you, both of you. You did a brilliant job in very difficult circumstances.

And so to home. Celyn had behaved impeccably with her new shiny bottom hose, so I took a chance and put my foot down. Um. Half way up a longish climb on the A465 the power became noticeable by its absence, and the temperature guage looked somewhat unhealthy. I pulled over into a layby, smartish. Whoosh! The back of the car disappeared in a cloud of steam. Oops.. Of course, by now it was raining and windy. Great. So I ventured round the back to have a look, and the first thing I saw was the washer hose and heatshrink tube arrangement lying on the ground. Er... gingerly open engine cover... the bottle put in place to catch condensate had done its job and was full of boiling hot coolant. The only problem was that despite being strong enough to hold a fizzy drink, it turned out that it wasn't designed to hold hot liquid. I couldn't help laughing when I removed a half-size, perfectly formed drinks bottle... And to think I'd been worried about the washer hose not being up to the job of taking heat!
I couldn't think what to do. I didn't want to call the RAC, because I'd had to call them out for another car last week (don't ask). Neil Gurner might have been still at the Rising sun, but I didn't have his number. I couldn't get through to Aled to ask him, so I scrolled through my phone contacts and found our Learned Chairman's number. After some cogitation about who might be still around at the campsite, Graham was able to give me ImpJimbo's mobile number. So I phoned him, and was told that there was no one else around. He seemed encouraged by hearing that the steam was around the radiator rather than the exhaust, and suggested that I waited for everything to cool down, top up with water, and limp home. I was just pouring the saved-in-the-bottle antifreeze mixture back into the header tank, when I spied a figure running up the road towards me. It was another club member, who hadn't been at WWW, but happened to driving along that road and had seen me standing beside an uncovered engine.

To my shame and utter embarrassment :oops: I can't for the life of me remember your name. Knight in Shining Armour, thank you for stopping for me.

He concurred with James that it would probably be safe to top up and drive gently home, so that's what I did. I was about half an hour away from the Rising Sun at this point. Around half an hour later I stopped again because the temperature gauge had gone too far. The familiar bubblebubblebubble greeted me when I got out to investigate. I was now in an exposed layby (Craig y Llyn for those of you who know it) and it was very wet, very windy and very cold. Brrrr and Ugh. More topping up ensued and thankfully my next stop was at home.

Tomorrow I'll go out to the car and unpack it. I was too wet and cold earlier to do anything other than run across the road to the house and find the nearest radiator to huddle up to. I'll also check the coolant, though I suspect I know what I'll find. I'm really hoping it's not the head gasket that's at fault, and I'm much heartened by being told that the steam would be coming out of the exhaust rather than the radiator header were that the case. The suggestion has been made that maybe there was an air lock that will take time to clear. Any thoughts?

Meanwhile, slightly warmer and happier, I'm going to have a small drink and an early night. See you all at the AGM (hint, hint)!
Fran
1971 Imp Basic with minor mods called Celyn (after Terry Pratchett's Imp y Celyn in Soul Music)
impman1965

Post by impman1965 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:27 am

What a weekend, i could'nt get to WWW so you came to me, You ate us out sunday roast, we had to go out to eat after we finished at 6 last night, the chef quit saturday afternoon, for reasons i won't go into, so 4pm saturday afternoon we had tables booked and no staff, change of menu and wipe the specials board off, that was the first thing, second no prep had been done for sunday, 7am, sunday im in the kitchen, meat in, veg being peeled, spuds cooking, 5 hours to go, tracy appeared at 8am, which i must say after the last few days over the chef problem she was smiling at last, and asked what time were the old bangers arriving, 8) plus after i was diagnosed with skin cancer a few weeks ago she has been a HUGE support in this emotional time, so we cracked on and on and on 12 midday arrived and doors open, well the rest was a blur, a massive thanks to the gurns for organising WWW every year and for finishing off here. where we will be next year we dont know, if we are still here, hopefully we will do it again :D
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 am

Many thanks for all the kind words it makes all the hard work worthwhile,Huge turnout this year,loads of new faces,everyone seemed to enjoy the weekend and even the Sun came out for us!!
I enjoyed the scenic run although it was not the same leading the convoy in a Honda!!
The sheep festival is handy because it gives you all something to do when we visit Llandovery.
Some very clever people won the quiz with a very high score,I will have to make the questions harder for next year :o
Hats off to Rob Machin and his lovely lady for a stunning Sunday Lunch,Adam had the Turkey and reckons its the best He has ever had! :)
I really enjoyed the beef and the Thatchers Gold (cider) was an added bonus! :lol:
Thanks again Rob and good luck with the treatment mate,I hope you are still in the New Inn next year for us to fill your car park with our old bangers. :lol:
Lastly,Thanks to Matt and Tracey at the Risin' Sun for looking after us.
50 Years of the Imp next year (and a certain Honda driving imper!! :o ) so we will have to do something special....
Watch this space!! :lol:
Loving Imps since 1963!!
celyn
Car Model: Hillman Imp Mk3 Basic

Post by celyn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:15 pm

impman1965 wrote:What a weekend, i could'nt get to WWW so you came to me, [...]. where we will be next year we dont know, if we are still here, hopefully we will do it again :D
Rob, I really hope you manage to stay at your current place: it's fabulous! I want to come over again with the family when it's not as frantic as it was on Sunday, and take the time to explore properly inside and out. I love old buildings with character, and the fact that yours is a pub with guest ales and fabulous food as well makes it even better.

Folks, if you weren't with us on Sunday you missed a rare treat.
Not sure how up to date the website is (Rob's not been there long) but this'll give you an idea of the luxury that was Sunday lunch for WWW: http://newinn.biz/
Fran
1971 Imp Basic with minor mods called Celyn (after Terry Pratchett's Imp y Celyn in Soul Music)
ImpJimbo
Car Model: BS Nymph and Singer Chamois Coupe.

Post by ImpJimbo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:50 pm

A big thankyou once again to Neil, Tina and Adam and the staff of the Rising Sun for another brilliant Wicked Welsh.

Our favorite Imp event as I am sure I have told many people. Its great to get to spend time with really good friends who just happen to have a shared interest in some daft little rear engined car. The original plan for us was to arrive Thursday and take a few Imps to the Transporter Bridge but life sometimes chucks a few issues at you and plans have to change. So we arrived Friday without an Imp but knew that would not stop us having a great weekend.

Anyway just got back and I have an 8 hour shift of tappet setting to do at work. So thanks again to all involved.

Just one more thing. If you are planning on getting your Lexus stuck in the mud always make sure you have a Land Rover nearby. :lol:

James and Jason.
James Henderson.
GURNSIMPS

Post by GURNSIMPS » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Made me smile,the answer to one of the quiz questions,the question was 'WHEN WAS THE IMP LAUNCHED' someone answered TODAY ON THE EPYNT RANGES! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Loving Imps since 1963!!
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:52 pm

My sixth WWW is over, back home with no dramas. This was by far the best one so far. The runs were absolutely incredible, I'd happily do the same roads every year! Eppynt was amazing once I got LNK up to speed. Got to sort out my in-car video though as it gave up half way round! :evil:

The Rising Sun gets better every year as well, Matt and Tracey truly are a breath of fresh air and the food this year was superb, as was lunch at Rob's which bearing in mind was all done by him and his good lady was faultless.

Great company as always, good to spend some time getting to know Mr Beddoe at last and make a few new acquaintances. I'll post up a few pics in a bit and, if I can get it to work I'll post the two vids that did work.

Huge thanks to Tina, Neil and Adam for another unforgettable Wicked Welsh Weekend. How many sleeps until WWW2013? :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
gill
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super, BS Nymph, Siva Llama

Post by gill » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:20 pm

As everyone else said....
Thanks to the Gurns and to all who came for making the weekend great.

The tow car worked fine on the trip home - before we left, once warmed up, the clicking and indicator alarm stopped.
Clear run all the way.

Gill & John
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Glad to hear it Gill. :D
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Charlotte
Car Model: Singer Chamois 69 Hillman Imp Super 67

Post by Charlotte » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 pm

Had a great time, thank you :)
Sammy the Chamois 1969 - WYU 913H
HARTWELL MK1

Post by HARTWELL MK1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:26 am

Charlotte wrote:Had a great time, thank you :)
and kitty? :lol: :lol:
I heard someone was mean to her
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp
rootes

Post by rootes » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:11 am

first WWW is years - top job as always by the Gurns and great to catchup with people not seen for ages as well.

Fanatastic run of 100 'welsh' miles as well!

Si

ps no I'm not planning to buy an imp or imp based vehicle!
With Diesel Power, Blows your mind drastically, fantastically
andy
Car Model: Imp, Husky, AA Van

Post by andy » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks to all for a great weekend, the Transporter bridge visit on the Friday was fantastic and the Eppynt run was even better we managed to see all that scenary that was hidden behind the mist and clouds last year. :D The car was great till the way home....

The Gurns did another fantastic job (although the raffle was a bit short this year :lol: )

Thanks to all those who tried to help me out with the car problems on Saturday night and Sunday morning and for the temp loan of spares to try, sadly none of which cured the problem :( after swapping almost the complete HT LT side and stripping carbs and pump the problem just got steadily worse we managed to limp half way home then came to a hill and we could not make it :cry: .................... 2 AA men later and we finally got a lift home.

Shame we missed the Sunday lunch sorry Rob

Despite the journey back still a great weekend thanks again to all Looking forward to next year already

Not surprising to us the number of people who said they were planning to come next year on their IMP 50 expression of interest form :wink:

Andy Imp009
www.imps.me.uk
64 Hillman Imp, 65 AA Commer Van , 69 Deluxe (for sale), 71 Hillman Husky.
www.andysmith.me.uk
GURNSIMPS

Post by GURNSIMPS » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Yes I read thet today Andy, I wonder how many showed interest? Do we need a bigger place? :o
Loving Imps since 1963!!