Spaceframe Imps

steve g
Club Member: No
Car Model: centaur mk1

Re: Spaceframe Imps

Post by steve g »

Help needed...where can I find rear wings and front end to put on my Mason stiletto (Edwards sponsored page 5 of this thread) That are as close to the originals as possible. The fibreglass is v thin (as it's supposed to be) but 35 years old and very weak without the paint on, I have found the roof panel and the boot lid. The doors need some work but if there are
Moulds available to make new ones all the better. If not it may be a case of buying an imp replicating the arches and taking the moulds.
colin rooney
Club Member: Yes

Post by colin rooney »

hi steve ring me as i think the rawlson panels will fit with a bit of work

col
Piers Phillips
Car Model: Hillman Imp

Post by Piers Phillips »

Hi All,
Thought it was about time I poked everyone with a sharp stick to get some momentum back on this thread. As I'm sure quite alot of you know I'm flat chat rebuilding my Maguire Stiletto in the hope of getting it out and racing next year in the CSCC Special Saloon series. I have been submerged in all sorts of research and quests to accumilate as much knoledge and history on all the Imps (not just Maguires) with the hope that we will get everyone out to play very soon. Seeing as I have been around the Special Saloon and Modsports cars since the early eighties I know fine well there are plenty of cars still around that could be easily sorted and ran in this class. If people dont get their fingers out then the class and dreams of a proper revival championship will deminish.... Come guys,,,Stuff the BBQ, cutting the grass and Sunday lunch with the relatives and get those cars preped and racing.
Currently Stuart (Rodwell Motorsport) is the only guy from our arena who is supporting the championship properly. It will also be good to Rob Knox out also next weekend. Good luck to you both. As all the meeting so far I will be there to lend moral support but will be burning to be on the other side of the gaurd rail and not spectating from the bank.

Looking forward to the responses and excuses..:-)
speeddemon
Car Model: None

Post by speeddemon »

Hi piers. Good points on your new thread. I think this year has been a tough year for many people especially financially so its had a knock on effect in motorsport for the clubman.
When the HTS forum was started, there was lots of people interested and we had over 60 registering there cars etc etc for a race series. I must have sent dozens of emails and had virtually no response or feedback in return. We did get some back from the dedicated few but they were a few and some of these just couldnt race.

There are many cars out there stood about, but the cost of getting them out is very expensive and when the cars compete they are up gainst bigger quicker machinery. This can be off putting to drivers and I suppose they dont want to see there cars possibly get damaged.

However im in constant touch with Hugo at the CSCC and we know there is going to be an increase in small cars next year. I think there are around 8 minis and imps for the Mallory meeting next week.

I try and budget around £500 for each meeting and that just about covers most things, however im shy of a good set of wets. Lucky for me my tyres cover both cars.

Im all for seeing our type of cars out but unfortunatley , people can talk it but getting out and racing is totally different.

If you want to come down Mallory next wekend come and see us. I have some spare tickets for entry you can have. Theres also a barbie saturday night at Moss motorsport so call and introduce yourself. I dont know them but this is the chance hey.

catch you there and good luck with the build

regrads Mike car 51 AG Shrigley spaceframed mini ( The hillmans in the garage all poished and ready for new owner) :)
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

you can also post on the ........ special saloon super saloon and thunder saloon site and the cscc special in ten tenths. Plenty of chat on there about our type of cars.

Regards mike
Piers Phillips

Post by Piers Phillips »

Hi Mike,
I will be at Mallory on Sunday / Monday so I will definately pop along and say hi.
Would be good to meet some of the other guys racing and get a feeling for the championship and the direction its heading in the future.
Catch up next weekend

Piers
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

[quote][/quote]
regrads Mike car 51 AG Shrigley spaceframed mini ( The hillmans in the garage all poished and ready for new owner)

speeddemon Posts: 326Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:44 pmClub Member: NoCar Model: None

you got a buyer for the imp then

col
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b288/ ... RMIMP5.jpg[/img

Im after any info on this car where it raced who raced it

cheers col
grahamdelooze

Post by grahamdelooze »

Sorry dont know, ill ask Richard Casey he's a bit of a spaceframe pervert as well.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

cheers graham, how is your car you done anything to it

col
maguire imp
Car Model: maguire spaceframed imp

Post by maguire imp »

Richard finney car used to be red and it had a ford engine from memory i have original photos somewere,it was sold on eaby before this current person had it up,was up for sale about 1998 last and was sold for around 1000 pounds with log book and it was racing at that point in castlecombe i think

Keith
maguire imp

Post by maguire imp »

look on page 5

k
maguire imp

Post by maguire imp »

No i got mixed up it was a man called andy crazkov i think that is spelt right i might be able to scan orginal ad later thanku

Keith
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

bennettimp wrote:I now own the Finney Imp. It was a Rachael Finney that built the car.. Collect it on thursday, very excited.. going to restore the car for hillclimbs and sprints over the next 5 or 6 months.. but using a bike engine... sorry purists.. im 23.. and on a budget, so urll have to understand the bike engine route!
Be sure to keep us posted. Lots of photos too, please. :wink: :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
TJB69
Car Model: Bevan recreation/imp Super/Imp Van/Commer Van

Post by TJB69 »

I've just collected this spaceframe today. I'm told its a rawlson but not so sure. It's been lying unused for 27 years

Any information or history about it would be appreciated

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom Blackwood
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

nice 1 tom it was forsale on ebay around 5 year ago are you giong to race it or just keep it in your collection

col
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy »

Tom - looks interesting. Would like to see some more pics once you have taken off the removable panels. When I had a Rawlson, I was told there were only 2 and I know who has the earlier version, bodywork looks a bit Davrian like.

Cheers - Simon
TJB69
Car Model: Bevan recreation/imp Super/Imp Van/Commer Van

Post by TJB69 »

Hi Colin, yes it was sold on eBay 2007 but the new owner never did much with it. Last owner had it sitting for 22 years.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Will start with body off then get chassis blasted and either painted or powder coated. Won't be this side of Christmas though just moved house and the wife has a mega list of jobs to be done lol

Will get some pictures to you as soon as body is off Simon. I'm told that it raced at ingliston early eighties but that's as much as I know. Will there be any ID numbers on chassis? Thanks
Tom Blackwood
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

not sure about an id number but it will make a nice project

col
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Got to agree with the above comments, Tom! :mrgreen: A fabulous project! All the best with it and be sure to keep us posted on progress as and when it happens. 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Tom check out speeddemon mikes rawlson spaceframe imp on here it has a davrian body like your new project ,when you get to the framework you may be able to tell if they were built by the same person

col
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

bennettimp wrote:that looks in good nick considering its been lying around that long, the project i bought was in an absolute state, and well still is in a mess..not too much has happened to it since, got so busy with work!
any pictures of your car

col
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

jade stilleto wrote:do i sell it or not , to race or not ? that is the question Imp028
:o Don't sell it. Race it! :twisted:

:wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
stuartbrownsey
Car Model: Clan Davrian

Post by stuartbrownsey »

A few pictures of Piers Philips Maguire spaceframe Imp, After Piers bought the car and stripped it down it was found
to be in very poor condition so a full rebuild with many improvements has being undertaken by Piers. Piers's day job
is in top end professional motorsport so there was only one standard he was going to be happy with. The fabricator has made a lovely
job. The chassis is now complete and the car is at the body shop sorting out the panels (that were supplid in very poor condition)
so new moulds can be taken.The car is going to run a Rodwell Motorsport 1040 engine on fuel injection.
I cant wait to see the finished car (hopefully for next season's CSCC special saloon championship)

Most of the cars history can be traced and this rebuild has John Maguire's interest.

Anybody else coming out to play, we were the only Imp out for most of last year (the black spaceframe)

Stuart
grahamdelooze

Post by grahamdelooze »

nice work, new cage tubes look huge compared to original. new lower steering column mount looks a worth while addition.
lots of tubes missing out of the floor unless youve since put them in. I never liked the design of the upswept swannecked part of the
tube frame that mounts the front wish bones.although stood test of time looks weak and technically wrong for spaceframe principles.
the rawlson front end is better with the mounting tubes under the wish bones and in the same plane as the floor pan with mounting brackets stood up rather than hanging down. im still going to leave mine original though and it was speced extra high by tony as he wanted to reduce roll couple by design rather than use an anti roll bar. either he or someone else later disagreed as its now fitted with a z roll bar.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Wow! :shock: That Maguire looks stunning! A Maguire Stiletto is one of the cars that got me seriously interested in Imps - and motor sport. I am really looking forward to seeing this come together and hopefully up close and personal next season.

More pics and information, please! :mrgreen: 8) Maybe Piers could be encouraged to start a Readers' Cars thread. :idea: :?:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Impecunious
Car Model: Clan Crusader Singer Chamois Sport Audi A4 Quattro

Post by Impecunious »

Looks like I've still got a bit of time to sort out Piers' JK/Quaife 5 speed then Stuart.......... :D

Dave W.

Clan003
stuartbrownsey
Car Model: Clan Davrian

Post by stuartbrownsey »

No chance Dave, Piers is on a mission and he's got enough contacts to get
this car finished early next year.

Expect a phone call
Piers Phillips

Post by Piers Phillips »

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the kind comments regarding the car. Its certainly been very interesting journey so far as far as chasing the history and the rebuild has been concerned but have had a huge amount of help from previous owners and also Mr Maguire himself.
John and Tom Sheppard have been very open and enthused regarding getting the car sorted properly and I must say their help has been priceless.
As you can see I have replaced the old mild steel cage with a T45 42mm version for strength and safety, there are various other small mods to the chassis to sort out the issues experienced by all maguires of the time.
The plan is to be out at the first race next season (Work and location permitting) and give that pesky black Imp from the south coast a run for its money !
Seriously though, I want to say a big public thank you to Mr Stuart Brownsey @ Rodwell Motorsport as he has been an absolute diamond in his efforts to help with all apsects of the car and its rebuild. Although I belive he'll never get a job as a "Brick Layer or Dumper truck driver" His efforts regarding all things Imp are commendable. Top Job Stuart !

I will up load more pictures at relevant stages of the build just to keep you all informed.

On a seperate note. This forum has gone a little quiet again recently but I think we should try and get a list of Special saloon cars (Imps, Clans, Davrians and Ginetta G15's) together and get some momentum back into what is undoubtedly a fantastic opportunity for a championship. My passion and subsequent career in Professional motorsport is down to Special saloon imps and mainly the cars of Harry Simpson and Ian Forrest at Ingliston and Knockhill. And I know full well that there must be a substantial number of cars out there that have not been scrapped or butchered and could be turned around and raced. Come on Lads, lets get this show on the road !

P
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

nice work piers ,i think i need to get my arse in gear and make a start on my latest project

col
Stakhanovite
Car Model: Ginetta G15

Post by Stakhanovite »

Had a cup of tea with Harry Simpson today, he's just finished building a Ginetta G4R lotus twincam -he'll be doing the Scottish series at Knockhill 2013.
Teddie2003
Car Model: Clan Crusader & Davrian Mk6

Post by Teddie2003 »

Mervyn Brake, Maguire at Ashes, Gurston Down.jpg
Mervyn Brake, Maguire at Ashes, Gurston Down
Mike Prescott @ Ashes, Gurston Down.jpg
Mike Prescott at Ashes, Gurston Down.
Mike Prescott @ Cricket St Thomas.jpg
Mike Prescott at Cricket St Thomas, car was possibly a Mason?
Car was destroyed in a crash at Wiscombe Park.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maguire imp

Post by maguire imp »

I like the pictures teddy any idea were the car is now ?
Randywanger

Post by Randywanger »

Saw this on another forum with a thread on abandoned cars... has it been recovered and restored?

12a Supercharged Rotary Hillman Imp
http://www.sucksqueezebangblow.co/2012/09/blown-rotary-imp.html
knocker
Car Model: Maguire Stiletto Ginetta G15

Post by knocker »

big J wrote:Just thought I'd copy the car of Kevin Cole from Chris's thread.Cracking machine. :D
Can anyone give me a contact number or e-mail address for Kevin Cole.
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin »

pm sent
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
mapman
Car Model: Spaceframe Rawlson Imp and ex spaceframe Stiletto

Post by mapman »

Just noticed this going for auction tomorrow in Northern Ireland:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C369581

Is this the ex-Harry Simpson Maguire?
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

keith scotts car i think. thats strange the guy was advertising to sell imp fibreglass panels on ebay 2 week back mmmmmmm.
oneofapair
Car Model: ginetta

Post by oneofapair »

Wasn't this the "Rally Car" in the aforemetioned Auction??
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

oneofapair wrote:Wasn't this the "Rally Car" in the aforemetioned Auction??
yes wonder who bought it
knocker
Car Model: Maguire Stiletto Ginetta G15

Post by knocker »

Well in putting two and two together!! It would seem very strange that the car sold Saturday afternoon and now there is an enquiry into the history of it.

Are you the new owner??
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Welcome to the forum, ImpRookie. 8) Nice car! :mrgreen: Plans for it? :?: Going to join the Imp Club? :?:

Consider starting a Readers' Cars thread. It would be very interesting to see how your car develops. :idea:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin »

Nigel Hepburn is a guy from the Carlisle area who has a garage and designs and develops
race and rally cars. He used to race a mini in NSSCC and did some sprints. Nice fella to talk to
but I haven't seen him for a while. I know his garage got flooded with the Carlisle floods a few years
ago and he was having to re-locate.
He bought the car and fitted a vauxhall engine in the back but never raced it. I think he sold if for less than £5k.
I'm sure Keith Scott then had the car and developed it further. I'm sure Keith will tell you more on what he did to it.
The car advertised on the auction site is Keith's Maguire imp which he had for sale on this forum a couple
of years ago and assume he sold.
I believe Keith has moulds for the Maguire panels which is probably why he was advertising them for sale !
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

At least the car will be rebuilt well done

col
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

My dad raced in ireland for over 20 years do you want to tell me who your dad is as mine may well know him :)

col
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

cheers i will ask the father if he knows of your dad ,2nd picture is fantastic

col
mapman

Post by mapman »

Got any pics?

I'm trying to trace my old spaceframe which I (regrettably!) sold in 1987. It's actually the blue car pictured on page 9 of this thread posted by Big J as "Ingliston, driver unknown".

I'm in the process of digging out all my old photos to scan and upload to tell the story.

Paul.
mapman

Post by mapman »

jamie, just found this on another forum, which may help?

Here's some information Safety Devices give. It may help.

MSA/FIA homologated roll cages: do they all have to be made from 45mm tubing now?
The short answer is no.
Let's use one of our most popular roll cages as an example: the Rover/Austin/British Leyland Classic Mini roll cage N000 (or just N as it was originally called) was made with 38mm tubing and was homologated with such. When you order a N000 roll cage from a Safety Devices Approved Dealer today, the cage will be made at our factory from 38mm tubing, and it will still be a homologated design. You will be able to compete in MSA/FIA events, despite the new rules stating that homologated cages must be made of 45mm tubing.
However, if Safety Devices designed a completely new roll cage for the Classic Mini today, the tubing would need to be made from 45mm tubing.

Notes on homologation
Don't forget that you'll need to produce a genuine homologation certificate to race scrutineers, who will not accept photocopies. Only the MSA can issue genuine homologation certificates. Order directly from the MSA, phone 01753 765000. Certificates cost about £25 and might take up to 2 weeks to reach you by post. The certificate number will generally be listed on our website on your roll cage's page - use the Roll Cage Selector to find your cage.
Homologated roll cages should also display their own, unique homologation sticker. These stickers should never be painted over and will self-destruct if removed to prevent fraudulent use. If you need to replace your Safety Devices homologation sticker, we will need to see photographs of your roll cage. If your cage does not have a homologation sticker, it may have been removed, or the cage might not be homologated.
Look for the unique serial numbers on the footplates of the main hoop behind the driver's or passenger's side and email clear photos to us for verification together with general photos of the roll cage so that we can see its current structure. If the roll cage has been painted over the years, you may need to scrub the paint off the footplates with a wire brush to reveal the serial numbers. You may also need to use a torch to see the serial numbers. Be aware - a cage with a Safety Devices sticker on it does not necessarily mean it’s a Safety Devices cage.

If you don't have an homologation certificate for your particular cage, then you will need to buy one from the MSA, but check first with Rollcentre, you may already have everything required.

Cheers, Paul.
mapman

Post by mapman »

Finally got around to scanning a few of my old photos from the 80's when I competed in the British Leader and the Scottish Hillclimb Championships with a spaceframe stiletto.

Strathclyde Park paddock - April 1985 not long after purchasing the car in Aberdeen from Brian Innes.
Strathclyde Park paddock.jpg
Strathclyde Park (wet morning run)
Strathclyde Park wet.jpg
Strathclyde Park - Harry Simpson's Maguire Stiletto
harry simpson - Strathclyde Park.jpg
Strathclyde Park - John Whyte's Mason Stiletto
john whyte - Strathclyde Park.jpg
Seems I can only upload 4 pics at a time, so I'll post the rest below.
mapman

Post by mapman »

...and more hillclimbing pics.

Fintray (Aberdeen) with big understeer! c.1985
Fintray.jpg
Doune 1986, entering the tunnel
Doune.jpg
John Bothamley's Maguire Stiletto at East Brae, Doune 1986
john bothamley - Doune.jpg
John Whyte's Mason Stiletto also at East Brae, Doune 1986
john whyte - Doune.jpg
more to follow.....