Our Sunbeam Stiletto - A Day Out and the Story So Far!

classiccapsule
Club Member: No
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto, MK2 Mini

Our Sunbeam Stiletto - A Day Out and the Story So Far!

Post by classiccapsule »

Noddy has asked me a few times to post some photos and as the weather was so good today, we took the day off. Drove up through Hagley, round through Kinver, up to Bridgnorth, stopped for a coffee. Then on to Cleobury Mortimer, up onto the Clee Hills for a couple of photos and a sandwich, down to Tenbury Wells, then back through Bewdley and home to the Black Country. So through 4 counties in a day, 82 miles round trip, enjoyed every minute, worth all the effort, grief and expense incurred in the last few months...

The story so far and edited highlights....
Bought my Stiletto back in March from a trader in Cambridgeshire. Always liked Imps, my dad had two and I had one when I was a kid. Wanted a classic that was sensible in terms of running costs and petrol. Something that would keep up with modern day traffic and that was tax free. An Imp fitted the bill in all respects and so when I saw it on eBay, I made the call, did the miles, bought the car and had it delivered a week later....

Without major detail here are some of the trials and tribulations so far...

Two weeks after getting it it flooded the garage with petrol as the electic fuel pump had been wired permanently live via the coil. Fuel in every part of the engine. Oil and filter change, new underpants for me...

I had the steering rack, shocks (changed to Gaz, magic for the money!), brake hoses, front wheel cylinders and brake shoes all round changed at the garage prior to National Day...

Jobs I've managed myself in no particular order....

Sourced an original steering wheel from Germany, repainted and retrimmed it with a kit from eBay. Made up some thumbrests out of tin and covered them with leather he gave me free!

Stripped down the 28/36 Weber, cleaned out all the gunk and rebuilt it.

Replaced the awful Speedograph airfilter for a Ramflow one. Had to modify the baseplate as it blocked a couple of holes. Then I dropped a screw down the Weber and took an hour to get it back out with long nose pliars and Blu-tac. Bad memory that!

Changed both bumpers. A new one from Robin and a used front from Malcolm at National day as both were dented.

Replaced the standard wheels with Dunlop D1 replica's from JBW.

Restuffed the sun visors as they hung like witches tits from coathangers!

Sourced and fitted a new rev counter. Never again, trying to get the old one out of it's bezel so I could re-use it was no fun!

Replaced the cam cover with one that had the fuel pump aperature blocked off and put two cam cover gaskets on Hylomared together to stop oil leaking onto the manifold and slowly gassing me!

Put an electronic 45D4 dizzy on it I got from ebay. Had fun timing it up. Did the usual, get it close then go for a run with a spanner suggested by Noddy. Has improved the car no end as it was a pig from cold previously, despite new points, condenser and rotor arm.

Fixed the wiper motor at National day as the rack nut came off on the way over the mountain back from the Saturday run. How happy was I when it was only that!

Plus a good few other small jobs that you soon forget you've done....

Then came the biggy. Respray....

The paint and body were going in a few places. Front valance N/S, under the chromes below the rear windows on the wings, around the O/S rear lamp and a couple of bubbles on the arches. Basically every panel had a defect and it needed to be looked at, as left it would only get worse...

So... the long job of finding someone to repair it at the right money began. Now I've had cars sprayed in the past, just blow overs really. But I wanted something better, but not a Pebble Beach job. Just a nice job, to make me happy and the car look nice. Easy you would think....

In about 2 months I spoke to about 6 spray shops. Some weren't interested, some were majorly expensive and others didn't inspire confidence. I tried folks I knew from years back in the trade and even big bodyshops, nothing doing....Then I remembered a little place in Oldbury. He'd been there years and I saw his signs everytime I went to the tip. So I rang him thinking that he probably wouldn't be interested and it would save me the trip for a knockback. Anyway he asked me to drop down. He had a good look and said he would ring me. He'd done a good few classics in the past, had the right attitude, was approachable and was all over the car for half an hour. One bloke I went to gave me an instant price in 5 minutes without looking properly or pricing the paint up!

Anyway he rang, gave me a rough price and said he'd like another look. Took it down and spotted something I'd missed and we shook on a decent price. He wasn't any bother, car was ready 3-4 weeks later. Welded and painted and was exactly what I expected. Now I'm halfway through rustproofing it with Sika Guard. Speak as I find, he did a good job for the right money in-keeping with the value of the car and my expectations of what my budget would buy. So if you're in Brum or the Black Country and thinking about spraying an Imp give me a shout. You can take a look at mine over a cuppa and I'll give you his number if you like what he's done.

Anyway, enough waffle. Some photos.....

One last thing! Some bits I need....

Hardboard cover for the wiper motor under the bonnet (mine is in two bits)
Pair of rear hatch stays for another car
A rear seat squab in black for the same car.
Making visual treats every day to adorn your oily loved ones!
kilty
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imps

Re: Our Sunbeam Stiletto - A Day Out and the Story So Far!

Post by kilty »

Nice one Eddie, looking grand. Which style squab you after again?
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
classiccapsule

Post by classiccapsule »

Cheers Drew! To be fair, it doesn't look that different from National Day, just all the same colour now :D

It's a Chamois 1968 saloon. I need a black seat base with the pleats running forward....
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

I`ll let you know early December if I have one. I think my pre-70s ones are all from Super Imps or Sports but I`ll check sometime next month, or before if I get time. :wink:
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
ibbo
Car Model: .

Post by ibbo »

my mum and dad live on clee hill on the road up to the summit have been meaning to take my stiletto up there
mark ibbotson
classiccapsule

Post by classiccapsule »

Hello Mark,

Small world. They probably heard us go past about 1pm. I made it all the way up in 3rd. Last time I tried with the old dizzy, it was 2nd then 3rd, then back to 2nd all the way up. I was delighted!

Whereabouts are you?
classiccapsule

Post by classiccapsule »

Cheers Drew, I'd appreciate that...
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

im in milton keynes but would love to live in shropshire one day near my favourite hillclimb loton park
mark ibbotson
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

Looks great Eddie, is that Rob Machin's one he bought in 2010 then had to sell again?
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
classiccapsule

Post by classiccapsule »

Hello Baz,

Thanks for that. I think so. I've heard the name mentioned previously....
Charlotte
Car Model: Singer Chamois 69 Hillman Imp Super 67

Post by Charlotte »

Great write up and the car is looking Fan-tast-tiicccccccccc Imp023 :D
Sammy the Chamois 1969 - WYU 913H
classiccapsule

Post by classiccapsule »

Cheers Charlotte. If you want his number let me know....
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Yep , looks spot on Eddie , glad to see your now enjoying hooning about in it .
:D
Formally known as " Noddy "
daysineuropa
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto and Imps

Post by daysineuropa »

Beautiful Eddie. Are those 12" or 13" D1s?

Could you post some more pics of the interior? I need some as a reference for the pending rebuild.
68 Stiletto/65 NAS Imp Mk 1
64 NAS Mark 1
67 Imp Mk 2 from Bury St Edmund's!
73 Clan Crusader
classiccapsule

Post by classiccapsule »

Many thanks for looking from the US :)

They are 12" D1's. Not a lot of tyre choice at 12" and suspect I should have gone for 13" to gain a better selection of tyres. I'll try and do some interior shots this weekend. Let me know what areas you're particularly interested in and I'll make sure I cover it. The interior is as far as I can see, all original. That's what drew me to it when I bought it...
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Very nice Stiletto, Eddie. I love it! :D I like what you've done with it too. Subtle mods. Very tasteful. Great write-up too! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Cally

Post by Cally »

Nice car Eddie

I tried to buy a car in Lancashire that colour years ago and love colour on the Stiletto. Car I bid on had been my mates some years before [hes in Nuneaton] and Mark still misses it and I'm still peeved that seller suddenly went incommunicado.

Anyway bought my Lincoln Green one I now have that was parked next to mate Chis's Stella the Stiletto at Imp Cymru

Hopefully car will be there when I pop in whilst visiting my Pal Steve who lives near you

PS got a Smiths aftermarket Tacho in mine instead of original
classiccapsule

Post by classiccapsule »

Thanks for all the nice comments and encouragement folks. Much appreciated. More than makes up for when I re-arranged the luggage space to get a few breakdown bit in before the National, shut the bonnet and couldn't get it open again. :oops: :twisted:

Cally you're welcome anytime, just drop us a line when you're coming and I'll make sure the kettle is on and Hob-nobs are in stock. I think the rev counter I found was Veglia. Not a job I'd want to do twice, if it goes again, then it stops tatered! :D
basil imp
Car Model: imp super 1975, imp super 1973, imp super 1971

Post by basil imp »

Really like the colour of your car, really suits it
classiccapsule

Post by classiccapsule »

Hello Basil,

Many thanks!

The original colour was Claret Metallic 126. However the body man pointed out that in fact it wasn't correct as it had pearlescent paint on. They matched it to a Renault Colour, so that's what it got resprayed with, Funny thing is, when I first had it I ordered a touch-up with the original 126 paint code by mail order. When it came it was smack on :-) Beats me!