Nods news , A fixorage happened

moose
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: rally imp

Re: Noddys Natterings ,On the up

Post by moose »

Noddy, leaving alone for a few miles is a good idea as it allows the carbon to burn off the combustion chamber plugs piston crown to prevent the carbon from glowing and causing pre-ignition which makes you retard the timing to compensate then you are missing out from more advance which could effect jetting etc and the whole cycle begins again, so a good run on jet and timing settings is always worth while to get a true plug/ combustion chamber reading of mixture before making any changes (another reason why i think RR's are a waste of money) just becareful that an overly rich of weak mixture can damage an engine but you are in the ball park so no damage will be done.
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
classiccapsule
Club Member: No
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto, MK2 Mini

Post by classiccapsule »

In view of the plug talk, I thought I'd upload this. Just got it from the States. I Like the mangled one, bottom right. The idea that it would still fire after being repeatedly headbutted by a speeding piston is amusing... :D

Making visual treats every day to adorn your oily loved ones!
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Cheers Eddie , I was having some issues with plug colour , Some say that the unleaded we use now doesnt colour the plugs like the old leaded used to , theres info on Stateside sites , some conflicting , some confusing
Im at the " it starts , it runs , it will do " stage :lol:
Formally known as " Noddy "
classiccapsule
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto, MK2 Mini

Post by classiccapsule »

You can't help thinking that the bloke that designed the stickers, thought "12 boxes, that'll look about right..." laid it all out and after he had filled 10 boxes was struggling a bit, so he hit one with a hammer for the last one...
Making visual treats every day to adorn your oily loved ones!
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Took the Vusky to Prometheus,s today to attempt to sort his car out , Prometheus and I did decide Ive really got the wrong needles fitted and have over compensated by adjusting the mixture .So the ideal scenario of 12 flats out from level ( 17 in reality as it takes 5 flats to get the jet level to start with ) are in fact 9 flats out ( 4 in reality ) on the Vusky :roll:
Still its staying as it is as its running really really well and although the plug colour could be a tiny bit weak it seems within range , certainly if you didnt remove the plugs you wouldnt guess anything was / could be amiss as its pulling like a train :D
Iam going to try L,E C s indexed plug idea although what that will do is anyones guess :lol:
Back to Prometheus,s car , I found a couple things wrong with his dizzy and some dodgy lead and coil connections which got sorted and hes noticed the piston on his rear carb is sticking slightly due to a miss-aligned jet .
Hopefully when this is sorted he should be up and running much better , needle choice is still an issue but one set seems to be very close .
Sorry I couldnt stay later Dave , Mrs Noddy was getting hungry waiting for me to bring the chips home
Good luck :)
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

All the little things can add up Noddy....and at least with indexed plugs it''ll be a tad easier to read your plugs. :lol:

Oh yes, I've rotated the indexing 180 degrees from the pictures above witht eh open electrode facing into the chamber instead of into the wall and I looked at the plugs yesterday and they looked even better. No pictures yet ...I've got my carbs off fitting a splash shield between the exhaust and carbs to stop the pump mech levers getting salted again this winter and seizing.

Unless the plugs are white and over heated looking I wouldn't be unhappy with light coloured coffee....especially as it's pulling well which suggests you're getting better torque from the engine. I found that in the accepted "power range" of 12.5-13.2 AFRs for most engines the higher (weaker) AFRs nearer 13.2 give better torque for both my Imp engines (Sport and compo). :D

Also if the rolling road plots were ever to reappear on the forum :( ... IIRC the better engines got best power around AFRS of 13 too.
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Plugs indexed

Ive indexed the plugs on the Vusky.
Ive no idea how Pete does this so had to make my own mind up using trial and error , Odviously you dont want to leave plugs loose or over tighten then to achieve the objective, you still need hand tight plus a 1/4 .
So I looked at the sealing washers , one plug went too far but rummaging through a load of old plugs I realised that Champion seals are fatter once squashed than the NGKs I use , by swapping the NGK ring with the Champion one it tightened correctly pointing between the cylinder valves , the others that didnt quite go far enough were simple as well , I just added an extra pre used sealing ring on each plug , result is they are all facing towards the gap between the valves and all at the correct tightness. This does give a slight variation in how far the plug screws into the cylinder but its only 1mm max
How do you do yours Pete , perhaps your way is better. :?: :idea: :)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Plugs indexed , Tuning epilogue

Having been out in the Vusky yesterday and this morning I can definitely say theres been a vast improvement , Throttle response is instant at any revs , theres no flat spots or hesitation , cruising is a joy and it likes hills so much better .
Its been a slog TBH , Not to mention a bit costly , what with the RR test half way through to see where I was heading and 3 sets of needles at £20 a set its cost the best part of a tonne
WORTH IT THOUGH as the difference is very noticeable , I suspect judging by how it used to run and how it does now Ive gained around 5 HP :D
Im sure with even more effort and possibly expense more small gains could be achieved but for now Im leaving well alone to see how things settle long term
Id recommend others to try different things to suck more power out of the engine , after all if you start with only 50 BHP then even a small gain is a bonus .
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings , SU carbs I use

Ive been asked just what SU carbs im using , so for those who like a challenge they are

AUD 257"F" and AUD 257"R" ( " Front and rear " )
They are from a MK3 Triumph Spitfire , available new from Burlen for just under £400 :o :shock: , alternatively ebay or a scrapyard which is where mine come from . :)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Tuning and cooling

For as long as ive had Imps theres always been the " I had one of those , it overheated all the time " brigade , And still to this day people have this problem and fit leccy water pumps , front rads , extra ducting and even reverse the air flow going into the rad ( Hi Baz )
Since giving the Vusky a mahooosive tuneup and finally getting it running as it should Ive noticed a not insignificant drop in overall running temp , yesterday was 27 degrees here and we went to a national trust house some 40 miles away .
As it was hot i shut the heater off but also didnt turn on the auxiliary front rad the Vusky has fitted , so just running the rear rad .
Ran perfectly and temp gauge never got past the middle even after some very spirited driving .
Just wondering if all these cars with running hot issues may have other causes than the normal " rads no good " thing and maybe a good tune up and getting the mixture correct would negate the need for front rads.
I can see no need of a front rad in an 875cc Imp with a good efficient cooling system
moose

Post by moose »

usual thing little knowledge, old vehicles being pushed to perform like a modern without the maintenance and using crap parts for cheapness which causes longer term pain and extra cost read it many times on here and have to try to be diplomatic in my replies (i am not very good at being diplomatic ask young Sam) but underlying problems usually cause another problem that puts the car out of the budget range and you see posts of people fed up and frustrated.

Dave your tuning example is not about attaining BHP pub bragging rights correct? it was about making the car run better by optimising what you have and has been very informative, put the correct kit on the car and look after it optimise it and you have one hell of a reliable and in your case faster and more economical car. you have a good ignition system using quality parts, you have adapted and set up some carbs (cannot remeber the make of them!) and an engine you were originally saying was 10 years old and built by you as if that was a down side is now performing very very well.

if you think about it lean mixture at cruising speed say 50-80mph range, speed rising temp rising slow down temp comes down incorrect conclusion 9 times out of ten rad not good enough
blocked rad and engine internally, coupled with lean running due to removing teapot air filter, headgasket goes, incorrect conclusion imps DO headgaskets
worn dizzy with sticking advance weights, 9 volts arriving at coil due to old wiring poor rotor arm, years old plug leads black plugs so over fuelling? incorrect conclusion solex carbs are rubbish

i could go on and on with any of the problems that can occur they have a knock on effect i.e. last example, will petrol wash the bores thinning the oil and temp of engine will rise slightly putting a strain on water cooling system so a headgasket that is weak will go (if the rad is dirty internally or externally) the oil being washed of the bores will make the car smoke and breath oil vapour into the carb altering the mixture causing more problems.
Main thing to remember the imp engine is a great little unit but like anything it needs to me looked after if that means spending a couple of hundred on it to optimise and replace (with good quality items) all the standard components it will probably give you years of reliable pleasure paying back the money spent in the long run.
so your steadier lower temp is that all that energy is now being used to best effect pushing the pistons up and down effectively rather going to waste as excess heat so less heat in engine block and components (bet your exhaust manifold is now running hotter though) as the mixture is completing its burn and getting out of the engine faster as hot gas not unburnt fuel/air (poor economy) or being burnt to late i.e. piston is already on way down the bore before the explosion occurs so you loose power.

regard mike
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

Bill Blydenstein (who knew a bit about making engines go rather well) said that "if you tune for efficiency, power is a by-product... and that is how I tune all my engines"
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
moose

Post by moose »

first thing i learnt of my carb expert friend, the choking smell that makes your eyes water with the fumes from the exhaust it is not richness it is inefficiency, many causes, seen twin gas analyser readings drop to within MOT pass standards just by setting valve clearances correctly to suit the cam when the car was brought in for carb tuning due to running rich!!!

Noddy the first one is always the longest now you have knowledge and real hands on experiance so will have more idea of what to change depending on the feedback you get. have you messed with the weight of the oil in dashpots? my carb man has used anything and everything from engine oil to clock oil, 3 in 1, auto transmision fluid, cooking oil etc something else to consider with Su's oil controls the speed of the needle rising, so try oil at both extremes oh and he says the SU oil that you can buy in a little bottle is nothing special just a certain weight of oil.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

So how is the vusky running after last nights impromptu tuning session then Dave? Did you leave it how it was when you left here? Or did you have to tweak it a little after the run home?

"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

...also running a COLD air filter rather than sucking air from deep in the engine bay all adds to the help with general cooling.

And after running the reverse airflow for an number of years (since 2004)...the rad air matrix needs a clean from time to time to maintain efficiency 'cos it's difficult to stop all road dirt coating the matrix off the nearside rear wheel....so some thought needs to be applied to the scoop design to minimise this effect...and maybe a spring clean every year is a good idea...having said that, I'd don't always practice what I preach and I've not been that diligent. :oops:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,A nasty habit

Well with all this tuning malarkey going on I seem to be slipping back into an old habit
This is dial watching.
For years now ive basically ignored what the dials tell me except the fuel gauge , I tend to get paranoid so if something goes wrong once I watch every gauge repeatedly just in case it happens again .
Im now doing it again , watching rev counters , temperature gauge , vacuum gauge and all the others in the Vusky and its kind of distracting from the enjoyment of driving.
So im going to ignor them once more and see what happens
L e C mentioned an AFR meter , I know if i fit one il be staring at it all the time and it will worry me stupid
Motto from now on
LOOK OUT THE WINDSCREEN :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,New plates

Posted this up briefly then deleted it by mistake :roll:
Got some NOS Hills numberplate backplates from ebay as mine were modern thin things , these had the bonus of a space for dealer or garage info , I removed the digits from my existing plates and drilled the new backplates to fit these .
As I will never know the actual dealer the Vusky came from I went with the next best thing
Its a Restall converted van so use that instead :D

Charlotte
Car Model: Singer Chamois 69 Hillman Imp Super 67

Re: Noddys Natterings ,New / old numberplates

Post by Charlotte »

Good one Noddy - fab to see a "Birmingham plate" :wink: esp as it reminds me of my Mom, her school was round next to Floodgate Street 50 something years ago :D
Sammy the Chamois 1969 - WYU 913H
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

^^^^^ OU is a Hampshire plate but the Van was converted " in house " in Floodgate street according to Restall so seemed the nearest i could get to a dealer :)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Great news , wondered where it would end up , I sold it to a guy near Exeter , I may have some more " as found " photos somewhere :)
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Re: Noddys Natterings ,You can tell im BORED !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by bazzateer »

Done one on the Vusky? Engine bay lights as well?
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

What! :o You've actually touched the Cashmores' codpiece? :shock:
HARTWELL MK1
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Post by HARTWELL MK1 »

If you are bored, you can help me change my imp floor ! :lol:
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp Still not finished
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

I've got a Chamois that needs some TLC. You could move in to my garage. :P

Then there's the hedge trimming... The leaves need raking up... The house could do with a paint... :lol: :lol:

Don't worry. I'm getting my coat. :roll: :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Thanks for the kind offer of work but sadly I will decline , gardening today :roll:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Antifreeze checked

Today Ive been checking the antifreeze strength in the three cars ive got , Beemer and Singer were fine but the Vusky was only covered up to - 10 ,
Ive flushed the whole system and re-antifreezed it and its now covered up to -30 .
All cars are now ready for the onslaught of winter :D
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Anti-vibration alternator mount

Whilst tuning up the Vusky a few weeks back I noticed an awful lot of engine vibration was being transmitted to the alternator .
The engine is very smooth and responsive and ticks over steady as a rock . I suspected this was due to the Denso,s single mounting bolt and my adjusting bracket design .
Ive also noticed my Beemers alternator is rubber mounted which is certainly to stop excessive vibration wrecking the alternators internals.
At work I upgrade Denso alternators to increase output , these go on rally cars and have what can only be described as a miserable hard life , early on in this job at the prototype stage he was having problems with the wires of the stator shearing off due to this vibration , so it must be an issue .
Ive go no intention to rewind my stators again just to include these flexi stator leads although I could , but was keen to try a rubber mounting idea.
Theres not enough metal on the denso to fit a main rubber mount but the adjusting bracket could be done.
Anyway ive made an adjusting bracket to include an Imp rear wishbone bush , I machined a holder for the bush at work then welded this to my existing bracket , bush fits in this then the other part of the bracket bolts to this bush effectively making one half of the alternators mounting damped .
Results are brilliant , vibration transfer from the engine has all but gone even at high revs.
Ive a feeling my alternators will last a fair bit longer mounted in this way.
Got the Singers to do now :D :D :D :D
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Before and after pictures Noddy?

before.....
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

I'd be interested to see it too. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Ive just done the Singers but in a completely different way ,
This new MK2 version is just as effective but requires no welding , Its a 1/2 hour job but does require a few quid spending.
All in all very chuffed :D :D
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

C'mon, man. We need the photos! :P

:idea: I for one had never realised that this could be an issue for an alternator, since most vehicle manufacturers bracket them straight onto engines.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp.sport
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Post by imp.sport »

Oh Noddy your such a tease..
Anticipation brings me to my knees
To see such a mod
Waiting is such a sod
Anti vibrating bush
Sounds like its lush
Waiting for the picture
Emotions all a mixture
What am I to do...
Sorry, had to go to the loo. :oops:
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

^^^^ :roll: C'mon Dave, put him ^ out of our misery! :lol:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

imp.sport wrote:
Noddy wrote:think about it :twisted: :lol:
Oh NOOOoooo .....ImageImage
OK I give in , cant have wailing on here can we. This is the MK2 version . Really does work well . :D , I made up the metal ends to prevent any excess movement although it doesnt really need them .
So what do you think its off of then :?:

imp.sport

Re: Noddys Natterings ,alternator mount , piccy added

Post by imp.sport »

Well disapointed..
Could you not get the thing in red? :lol:

Ignore me I am in a very odd mood BTW..... :roll: Its well done Noddy! Hip Hip...etc
imp.sport

Post by imp.sport »

Please don't.
As a more constructive input did you consider a rubber mount at the engine side as well as the adjuster?
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Before....
After....see what he's done? Simple and clever.
Image[/quote]
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

:P :P Yay! Pictures! Way to go, Noddy. Sort a red one, though. And get that adjuster painted while you're at it. See? Lots to do! :idea:

:wink: :wink:

IM 8)

P.S. I'm just messing, mate. It looks grand and I bet it works great too. :wink:
Paul Harrison
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Useless fact time

Just fitted the NOS engine lid rubbing rails ive bought .
For years mine only had two clips per rail and not the normal three as these were second hand and some clips were not savable , anyway , I now have the proper three per rail , all new and tight .
And the useless fact I never knew :!:

The outside rails are 5mm shorter than the middle three :o :lol: , must be to do with the curve on the engine lid .
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Useless fact time

Post by 617sqn »

But they all have the same part number 7200364, 5 off Rubbing rail engine lid,
Phew ! :o I thought I'd fitted mine wrongly for a minute there ! I was a bit confused as I'd only ever had those of the same length, and therefore fitted them as they were. No one has ever queried it, so neither did I :lol:

Andy G.
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings Engine lid soundproofing thing busted

The original framework that holds the soundproofing bag / sack thing has finally rotted through and given up .
I originally took it into work to weld it up but then thought why not make a newness one as this is rather rusty all over.
I came up with using some thick solid copper wire we have at work , I made up all the parts then brazed it all together and finally coated it with black lacquer designed for copper .I changed the design slightly to give the soundproofing more support

Heres the old frame and the old soundproofing sack

And heres the new frame in with the newly recovered sack i did earlier in the year , i fitted an extra support at the top as the original had busted off years ago
No more rust , at least not on this bit :lol:

bazzateer

Re: Noddys Natterings Engine lid soundproofing thing busted

Post by bazzateer »

Very nice Dave.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings , Heater is too hot !!!

Having been out in the Vusky today I can confirm that due to my mods I listed in another post
The heater is too hot :shock:
Fan mod is brilliant but does transmit noise and vibration as well as heat , Ive a plan to solve this and will report back if successfull
Lotus-e-Clan

Re: Noddys Natterings , heater is now too hot !!!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Ah well, better situation than mine. The Clan has a Classic Mini heater and the matrix is now dripping water on my left leg...I have to roll up my trouser leg like a Free Mason!

I'm about to order a new matrix off ebay for about 46 quid. Pain 'cos the dash has to come out. :x I'd say it's long overdue mind, it's probably semi-blocked for both air and water after nearly 40 years.
AlastairC
Car Model: 1964 Mk1 Hillman Imp

Post by AlastairC »

Reading an old copy of octane with an article on heating and ventilation. Clayton classics have all sorts of heating options for classic cars. May be worth a look claytoncc.co.UK.
Cheers
Alastair
Alastair Cox
Wellington
New Zealand
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

To be fair, Noddy, this Autumn is unusually warm. You'll be laughing in a few weeks I'm sure and leaving the Beemer at home!
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

Just close the valve a bit Dave......simples! :D
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

Or shower when you get home :D
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
celyn
Car Model: Hillman Imp Mk3 Basic

Post by celyn »

*Blink* *Rubs eyes* Did I really see the words 'Imp', 'heater', and 'too hot'? In the same sentence? :shock: :shock:

When are you free to do mine? :lol:
Fran
1971 Imp Basic with minor mods called Celyn (after Terry Pratchett's Imp y Celyn in Soul Music)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Fixing my own rad , I must be mad

Well blow me down but having repaired Prometheus Daves rad on Saturday the Vuskys rad decided to join in the fun and leak today on the way to work.
This rad is 19 years old so I cant complain really , I can complain about the lack of dosh to fix it though . Was quoted £50 plus at my local rad place or £125 from Uncle Malc for a new on exchange , not bad really if you have the dosh spare but with Christmas coming etc funds are spread a tad thin. :roll: .
Hay ho though if i can fix Daves surely I can sort this myself . Ive got a Re-cored HE rad in the loft only for a saloon :roll: , I know il mod this :!: :!: :idea: .
Takes a bit of guts to hack up a good rad but needs must .
First off I decided to cut the header tank off with a grinder , two reasons 1, Im far less likely to desterb the joint where the top tank fits the rad and 2, leaving the joining ring in place will strengthen the flimsy rad top which is one reason Vans only run 4lb caps
So off with its head

This is where I discovered that the hole is too small and the original rad top has a flaired inner edge :roll: ,
No worries il hack this off the old tank make the hole in the rad bigger and solder the lot in . :idea: :idea:

Heres the bits , the rad neck and the part of the tank top with the flair in it

After MUCH cleaning to shiny brass and a fair bit of blowlamp / solder action heres the result , not mindblowingly neat but its all there

Ive still got to spray it up and pressure test it but it looks promising :D :D