PES 989J... "The Pest" ....Knockhill prep

colimp66
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" rebuild metal bashing

Post by colimp66 »

After messing around with tthe front hubs yesterday & starting the disc conversion by mounting the discs on the hubs I got back to the body of The Pest today.
I coated up most of the new metalwork/welding wth some Zinc 182 befor pushing it outside so I can turn it around to attack the right hand side with my trusty grinder & welder..

The first time it's been out of the garage since June of last year or thereabouts.

Once pushed back in the other way I put it down on axle stands instead of the spit for this side as i think I had a bit of movement in the body with the spit initially when I started chopping bits out of it. So hoping this way it won't move as much if any..
Well it looks as if this side is as bad as the left side was if not worse.. :cry: At least I have more of an idea what I need to be doing & things should go smoother & quicker.. I hope :)
Here it is with the (cover)sill & rear quarter cut out revealling a lot of rust.
DaylightPest.jpg
Rhssillrmvd.jpg
Rhsreararcholdrmvd.jpg
I already have an inner sill that I made up when I done the leftside & is waiting along with an outer sill, rear & front corner so I only need to buy a front lower wing repair & possibly another rear wing arch repair section as that has also been replaced at some point in its past & in a similar manner to :cry: .
Oh & replace the windscreen section that I started, the rear hatch bittie, rear crossmember area, rotten floor section at the drivers footwell......& probably a lot more once I look eslwhere .. :lol: Im getting scared now.. :P

Cheers
Col.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" here we go again....

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks I'm, it's getting there slowly. :)

LGJ.. Speeddemons shell sounds like a good idea but the time & effort I've already put into The Pest I have to finish it now.. Don't I???? :? A Stilleto would be nice mind 8)

Col.
chris
Club Member: No
Car Model: g15 turbo

Post by chris »

Just interested before I remove the outer sills from my car, it looks like you havent braced the shell before removing the old ones which I have always thought was needed? Although Im seeing more and more imps being repaired now without the bracing? (in the photo album)

EDIT, have you still got the floor bacing? I see on the other side you braced the door gap as well?

Thanks
Chris
Wanted..... FREE STILETTO...... PM Me...........worth a try haha :)
My G15 page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/398397523543681/
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi Chris,
I did initially use the struts in the door opening to keep strength in the shell but cut them back out so I could hang the door to have decent gaps on the door surround & for the sill. I think the experts dont bother with braces & use strategically placed axle stands/jacks so the gap can be adjusted to suit the doors.
This is the way I am doing the right hand side now. The trouble is with the car being in a single garage which I think yours is the same it's difficult having the doors on to do all you need with the sill fitting/welding etc...
I did keep the floor bracing all the same & it is still in there at the moment. Not sure if it does any good but its in there now so I will keep it there.
From what i have read the door is the best "brace" due to it allowing you to see if the car is flexing or not as the edges give you a clear measurement to work with.. the jacks can let the body flex a bit to adjust the gaps.

Hope this helps & remember I'm no expert :wink:

Cheers
Col.
chris

Post by chris »

I suppose the best way for me to go about it then is to leave the doors on cut the sills off (im leaving most of the sill step on as I’ve got cover style sills going on etc) put a jack under the car and lift towards the back of the door opening watching and testing the door opening and closing? Once happy with the setting open door - sill in place - tack around the edges - release the jack - watch and try door again if ok seem it all up, bobs your uncle fannys your aunt?
:lol:
Thanks Chris
My G15 page
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Before I tackle the sills & foor I thought I better finish what I started with the windscreen/door frame area so Thats what I have been doing earlier this evening.
I had all the repair panels made up before so it was a matter of cleaning up the area to fit them & trimming the section I have made & deciding in which order I should fit them. I started with the curved section at the top of the door & then the screen pillar area down to the door post & thats as far as I got :cry:
Doorframeouter.jpg
Doorframe2.jpg
Doorframe4.jpg
The next part too be fitted will be the section that attaches to the screen rhs. I will need to tack this on then make adjustments on the panel as it looks like I may have made it slightly too wide which is better than making it too small I guess :)

Still to do the top part for the top of the door & make up a small section for the rear of door post where the rot has affected it where it meets the roof.

Then I'll tackle the floor & sills.. Oh I can't wait ... :lol:

Cheers
Col.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" door seal repair....

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers Chris & IM .

Yeh, sorry you are correct in what you posted earlier. Thats the way I will be doing mine this time around more or less. I will be fitting a new inner sill aswell as part of the floor like I did on the left hand side too.

Good luck with it.

Col..
chris

Post by chris »

sweet cheers man, if it goes wrong Im coming after you! :lol: :lol: only messing 8)
My G15 page
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

No worries Chris.
I'll be easy to find.. I will be the bloke lying under a rusty Imp trying to sort out his own sill, floor problems... :D

Speaking of that here is my findings today from underneath the Pest..
Poor poor poor previous repairs of doubling up over the existing rust with new metal which then allows water to get trapped & rust the new metal from the inside out.. very clever!!! :x And if it's not that it's inch thick filler or fibreglass.... to the inner arches.. :cry:

I'm sure if I had started this side first I would have given up by now.. but hey-ho.. I'm going to soldier on as they say. Thinkng of buying a new front wing for it as it may be easier than fitting a repair section, the inner arch is goosed aswell where it meets the outer which doesn't look too bad from the outside but has had it's fair share if filler on both sides too.

The rear arch inner is in a similar condition to what the lefthand side one was that I have not long completed & it has had a similar repair to the arch/wing aswell. That will need redoing :?
Sill definatley needs doing as it had cover sill on & the inner is pretty rotten at the bottom edge where it meets the double skinned floor.. now single skin, :) using up the last of my cutting discs in removing that.

On a positive note though I did manage to remove all of the underseal & paint from the inner wings front & rear leaving my nice shiny metal where I need to weld to.. :D

Here's a wee photo of it before the paint/underseal/double skin/rust removal..

Image Image

Now thats my wee rant out of the way & shared with you guys I feel much better ... aaahhhhh!! 8)

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" dodgy repair rant....

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers Noddy,
good photos you posted there. I have just ordered two new arch/wing repair panels from Malcolm this morning for the front & rears so that will keep me busy for a wee whilst, I think I'll use the Fiesta inners like I did on the other side to save a bit of money.
I did a silly thing & asked Malcolm about the cost of a short block 998..& it's tempting me... :lol:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" dodgy repair rant....

Post by colimp66 »

Thinking I've not been posting often enough about The Pest here I am again having managed to get stuff done & show all you guys/gals what I've been upto.
Also hoping like Chris mentioned in his thread regarding Camilla how to go about doing stuff to your Imp if you don't know how or too frightend to ask. Not that I am expert on Imps as Im learning as I go along & generally htinking if it looks right it can't be that far of.. :)

Anyway, the inner front drivers wing & footwell is the bits to get my attention today. Quite a bit of this part of the car has been attacked with rust all caused or partly due to the roof lining getting wet & water running down the inside of the windscreen pillar in my opinion. I wanted to do this area in one panel but got to thinking it was going to be a tall order so made up two panels for it once I prepped the area for welding. I left the lower part of the new inner wing too long for the reason I had no floor as a guide thinking I would cut it back once the floor was fitted.

Image Image

The two sections can be seen in the second photo. It nearly mirrors the original panelwork so once it's cleaned up & painted I think it should look ok. It's not welded to the arch yet as I have new repair panels for that area of the outer wing & want to fit a new inner arch along with that & that would be welded to the new metal I have fitted today. The door post recieved a coat of Zinc 182 primer before fitting the new panel.

Once I was happy with that I started on the floor area which sits below the pedals. A small repair had to be done to the tunnel just at the curve, then it was onto metal bending & forming the indent that runs horizontally from the tunnel to the inner wing. My box section & flat bar jig came useful once again for that :)
From this ...
Image then make this..Image to this..Image Image
The last photo shows the panel trial fitted as I forgot to take a photo once I had finished.. oops!! :oops:

Next on the very long list of things to do is the floor panel which will be a bit of a challenge but I have the panel cut out already & just nead to mark it up & beat it with the hammer again :lol: .

Cheers
Col.
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" metal bashing again....

Post by bks974c »

Col

That's some serious welding you have there, by the time your finished there will be more new metal than old. :roll:

Keep up the good work.

Scott
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers Scott,
you could well be correct with the amount of metal I'm putting into it. :lol:

Going to try & pop over to the meeting this Monday if it's on??? May see you there if it goes to plan

Colin.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

It would be good to finally make it there Scott.

A bit more metal bashing tonight for a bit once I got home from work forming the footwell floorpan to the drivers side.. Satr with one pice of sheetmetal roughly 470x560 or thereabouts, mark up with the appropriate lines then bash away to suit.... :D

Clamp in my home made jig of a sorts..
belt it once or twice with a hammer. Image
Cut to shape/fit kind of.. Image

The tricky bit will be getting it to fit first time & rearranging how I have my axle stands positioned to allow this ...
Leave that for another day though .. :lol:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Baz, Scott & IM thank you :)

What you have to do until your dinner is ready eh??? :lol:
I'll be impressed myself Scott if it fits ok once I cut out the rotten floor. It's not 100% correct but will be better than a flat sheet of metal for sure & certainly a lot stronger.
Only wish I had managed to do this for the lefthand side but I was ony begining to learn what you I'm capable of with a hammer & vice :lol:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Yaba-daba-doooooo!!!!

Post by colimp66 »

bks974c wrote:You'll have to have a word with the misses, you must have had to wait for ages
Well before my pizza was burned to a crisp tonight Scott I cut out the rhs floorpan to see how well my new footwell/floorpan panel measured up. Glad to say it isn't far away at all :D I only need to sharpen up the edges where it meets the exsiting piece of floor underneath the seat panels that are spot welded to the floorpan..

One Flinstone style Imp which I'm sure there has been hundreds if not thousands of in the past :lol:
Image Image

I'm thinking about removing where the seat is bolted to once I have the new panel fitted as there seems to be quite a bit of surface rust in there from what I can see. Just so I can clean it up & give it a lick of paint, for my own peace of mind if nothing else..
Hoping to have the floor in sometime this weekend or thereabouts....

Cheers
Col
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Flooring it!!!

Post by colimp66 »

This afternoon I fininshed of the floor panel I previously made with the bending of the outer edge where it will meet the inner/outer sill & welding in the turn down part so I can weld it to the inner arch.
I find welding on a 10-15mm strip to the curved area so much easier than trying to bend the metal around the curve aswell as trying to bend it in the correct manner to give a nice curved edge.

I missed judged the size of panel initially as I had a wee rectangular hole that I patched in later as can be seen in the first photo. Go them the wrong way around :oops: The second one shows the amount of self tappers I used to hold the floor in place so to get a good weld.

ImageImage

I now have a more solid floor which is actually attached to a solid arch :D ,happy camper now so it allows me to bash on with the sills.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Flooring it!!!!!

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks for the encouragement guys. :)

Yeh, alot quicker on this side Scott now that I have an idea what is involved & not having nightmares about what needs doing & worrying how Im going to manage it. It was still a headscratcher on where to start & how best to go about sorting the rust out I have to admit. Having the floor in now allows me to cut out the inner sill & fit the door so I can get the gaps correct'ish :lol: .
Imp Eccosse??? Phew, could be a tall order Scott that..try my best though.

Drew, I don't think floor production will be done in the near future I'm afraid..set-up costs, jigging, tooling up, time,quality control, demand , hammer wear...etc...etc.. all have a part to play in it so the panel producers at the moment can sleep easy :lol:
Ciaran ,, give me a cal if you fancy popping through sometime.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" door/screen post

Post by colimp66 »

A bit more done to The Pest tonight with my attention go back to the windscreen & door pillar area that I previously made up the panels for.
With having my new tin of weld through primer that I bought last night before heading to the Edinburgh & Fife club meeting which I thoroughly enjoyed chatting/meeting all the peeps there 8) thank you.
I have welded in the panels at last.
A wee bit of adjusting & trimming had to be done before the final welding took place(much like any bought panel I have fitted already :lol: ) but I'm happy with the result & yet more strength is gained back into it!!! :shock:

Apologies for the poor quality as I don't have great light in the garage for taking photos & it's taken with my phone .. but with a bit of a help from the light from my pushbike here they are :lol:

Image Image Image

The piece above the door is still to be completely welded in as I have only welded it at each end. As can be seen in the last photo of the door pillar this is pretty rotten at the top where the headling touched it.. This will be a bit awkward to put right I'm thinking... :roll: whats new there? I guess.....

Cheers

Col.
Fifeimpman
Car Model: 1964 Hillman Imp De Luxe

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" door/screen post...

Post by Fifeimpman »

Hi Colin,
great to have a chat about the " Pest " at the club meeting on Monday. Keep going you're doing a great job!
Regards Alan
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks Alan.
Good speaking to you, be good to have a good look at your car & discuss the various engine upgrades that you have done to it in more detail..

Paul, panel basher mmmmm.... I do like making the panels I have to say & would love to know how to operate & be proficient in using one of those English wheels do-da's :lol: That is a true craft & a dying one unfortunately... :cry:
How is Gladdis?????

Cheers
Col.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Colin,

This is inspirational stuff - as always! :D I too would love to become an artiste with an English wheel and at metal bashing in general. For me, I think it's a case of just getting stuck in. :wink: I have not had a need to fabricate my own panels or repair sections yet but I am likely to in the not-too-distant future. When that time comes, I shall of course post my efforts on here for all to see. :)

Keep up the great work! :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" A post...

Post by colimp66 »

"American Hotrod" no whtose guys know how to bash metal... The auld grumpy dude used to anyhow & the guy that built the Alumitub I think it was called.. Pure art that was!!! :mrgreen:

Back to the real world & The Pest here though. Missed out on progressing last week as had a wee break up by Loch Tay so nowt got done unfortunately but did recharge my batteries for some metal bashing this weekend or today I should say.
This week I've mainly been bashing an A post into shape. Not surprising really with the work that has gone into the windscreen pillar that the A post wouldn't have been affected by the ingress of water too like the windscreen pillar. Bit of a tricky one as not only had the water affected the part where it meets the floor pan but the upper part just below the dashboard out towards the door seal part aswell.
I initially made a template of the lower part then made that up before making another template of the upper part before cutting that out.

Image Image
Once the panels were made up it was a bit of trial & fitting. Difficult when you have your fingers crossed :lol:
Image Image

I won't be able to weld them in just yet as I want to paint them before that & there is still work needed on what they will be attached to which wont surprise a lot of you know doubt.. :shock:

Cheers
Col.
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon »

You know when you took this on - did you ever thing, 'easy repair' ???? :D
seriously though, 5 gold starts for what your doing.
all looking good, time consuming but worth it
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks guys.
Yeh, I never thought it was nearly as bad as it actually is/was.. :shock: It was a bit of a shock when I first made the cut into the inner wing on the lhs & nowt but brown rusty dust & metal fell out of the sill.,.. :roll: :cry:
What have I bouhgt??? was there initial polite thought I had... :lol:

Anyway got to keep going now as it's still not worth the sum of the panelwork that I have bought & fitted to it. I never bought to make money on anyhow. I bought it as I always fancied owning & modifying an Imp. Any onther car didnt really tick the boxes...

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" A post & heater channel...

Post by colimp66 »

More metal/rust removal today with a little metal bashing thrown in so the rust can be replaced with decent stuff.
The outer part of the A post/door pillar where it meets the soon to be fitted outer sill was where I was working on earlier, trying to get it ready to take the inner sill that I made up last year I think it was???? :o This has to be done before I can fit the parts I made up last Monday as they need to be welded to something & that something wasn't there earlier :lol:
Getting there now though & so is the heater channel of a sorts . Completely rotten in the lower horizontal part of it where it is attached to the inner sill. I have cut that out & made up a section to be welded in tomorrow hopefully & that will then let me get on with the A post panels... :D

Here is the way it is at the moment....
Image Image
& the state of the heater channel all cleaned up of the old inner sill....
Image Image

Fingers crossed to have it welded in for tomorrow....... :wink:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" A post & heater channel...

Post by colimp66 »

Paul, you are correct all the rust now cut out of this area & a new lower part to the heater channel is seam welded in & painted giving protection for years to come hopefully .. :D
1//2 of the A post panel that I made up last week has been zinc primered & coloured with paint I have had lying around for a whilst to give it an extra coat of paint & is now also welded in.
Later this evening I should have the inner sill all welded in as I'm waiting on the paint to dry on that.

Photos to follow.. 8)

Cheers
Col..
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" heater channel/inner sill...

Post by colimp66 »

A couple of photos of the welded heater channel & a new shiny inner sill.

Image Image
The sill is still to be welded to the front inner wing but I will hang the door first before welding it all up along with the outer sill...

Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" outer sill fitted & odds n sods

Post by colimp66 »

IM, certainly hoping it to be shiny inside & out once I eventually get to the bit whereI can polish it .. :lol:

Not anytime soon unfortunately as this is the first I've managed to get to The Pest for a good 4 weeks or so due to Christmas getting in the way & working more or less 6 days a week...

Anyway, after a bit of juggling about I fitted the outer sill, welded in the A post repair sections, finished welding the top of the door/roof area for the rooflining, made up new panels for the top of the rhs door post where it had been eaten away by the rust worms & wee repair sections for the bottom of the windscreen pillar externally & in where the door jam is... Doesnt sound alot but the time it takes is unbelievable..
Oh!! Took a few photos to show you all how it went too..

Bottom of windscreen....

Image Image Image
Rear of the windscreen pillar...
Image Image
Door post.....
Image Image
Image Image
A post finished...

Next step is to remove the rot from the scuttle panel then start on the floor/wing arches front & rear to the right hand side.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest". A scuttle panel repair

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks Paul. :wink:

Another wee repair done tonight which didn't take to long to do( hoping it doesn't look like that either :lol: )
The scuttle panel has a few wee bits of tinworm attack but the piece I repaired tonight was the largest allowing me to get on with the many other areas..
I forgot to take a photo of the area before cutting it out so I have laid the rotten section on top of the repaired area aftrewards :oops:

Image Image Image

Just need to spot weld the return to the main body then fill.. :D then onto the next area,,, :roll:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" A scuttle panel repair

Post by colimp66 »

Hi Scott ,
if anything it's a lesson in body repair & maybe an example for anyone looking to buy an Imp where to look for possible rust :lol:
It doesn't feel like I'm winning the battle sometimes.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Cheers
Col..
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" A scuttle panel repair

Post by sammy the sturgeon »

Every battle won is another towards winning the war, The weldings coming on
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" A scuttle panel corner

Post by colimp66 »

Not much done this weekend apart from cutting out some more rot & finding a rust???? :shock:
Half expected to see the rust below the rhs scuttle where it meets the windscreen post & wing with the state the windscreen post was in that I repaired earlier. All pretty much surface rust but never the less it needs to be dealt with. A wee bit of welding required from the underside to the inner wing area too which is going to be a bit of a challenge & at the top edge of the wing return where it meets the scuttle & seam sealed.
Cut most of it out tonight so I can see whats what & think of how I will remedy it..
Here it is.....
Image Image

I have to repair the arch of the wing & have a repair section already so cut out a bit of the wing to make it all a bit more accessible without taking the complete wing of which I don't really want to do.

I was rumaging around in the garage & I came across some photos of my MG Midget that I restored many moons ago that I thought I would share.. This car was a bit of a rust bucket just like The Pest so I know it is achievable to make a nice car out of one..
Image Image
Gives me hope at least :lol:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks I'm, the Midget took 3 1/2 years to get it near that state. Back then I stayed at home & was on it everynight without distractions & the like lol...

A few panels made up for the scuttle repair & kind of trial fitted to see how they look. All done in sections then welded at the required angle along the edge of the two sheets of metal then buffed down to give a good clean outer edge. They will all need trimmed to fit correctly & flush which will be the next challenge.. :)

First I cleaned up & cut out some more of the rotten metal..
Image Image

Then started fitting the panels one by one..
Image Image
The inner part where the water channel is welded/formed I guess more so originally at the top of the door post & meets the outer curved top panel will need a bit of fettling to make it look correct as it goes back at an angle from the outer panel & is awkward to replicate...
Image Image
Still a fair bit to do to this area before fitting of any of the panels but I feel like it's progressing in the right direction. The top edge of the wing being one of them.... :roll:

Cheers
Col.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

This is awesome, Colin. It gives me the confidence that these repairs are possible, given the time, commitment and effort. :P Top work, that man! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Scuttle corner completed..

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks again Paul.
You just need to get stuck into yours now, take your time & plan it out what your going to do & don't rush it..

I finished of the repairs to the scuttle area today which considering how small an area it is it's surprising how long it took to get it finished & that was with having the panels more or less made up. I had to tweek them a bit right enough to make them look & fit better but this took me around 5 hours or thereabouts today I'm guessing.
Anyway, .. I had to make up the piece for the plate that holds the door hinge aswell so that added to the time.. the water had allowed the rust to get to it & it was hanging on by not very much, came of in my hand easily..
I also had to repair the top horizontal area of the wing where it is seam sealed to the scuttle as can be seen in the first photo..
The other panels were seam welded to the slampanel for the bonnet & I had to weld back the lip to stop water filling up the boot..
Image Image

Once these were on & I was satisfied it was the fine fettling of the curved section & the part that is spot welded to the door pillar. This is an awkard panel to make as the return piece back to the door post is angled then it meets a flat plate to be spot welded onto the door post. (hope that makes sense???) & it has to folllow the line of the door of course.. :shock:
Firstly I got the correct curvature on the outer panel & made up the inner piece out of two sheets welded together & to hopefully to the correct angle.. I wasnt far away. :) I placed the outer panel on the car with the rain gutter part aswell then tacked them together. Welded it all together & built up some more weld so I could shape it once it was all fitted together..
This is how it looks.....
Image Image

Seeing as I'm at the front of the car , the front wheel arch is next on the list.. whooohooo!! :lol:

Cheers
Col.
ImpManiac

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Scuttle corner completed...

Post by ImpManiac »

Good tip about the lining paper to make templates from. I already use it for masking - very cheap and so much better than newspaper! :wink: Nowadays I tend to pay much more attention when taking things apart. For instance, I photographed the inside of my air compressor's starter box before I removed the old starter. I'm glad I did now because I don't have any other instructions or anything! :roll:

Keep up the great work! :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Fiesta inner arch to Imp

Post by colimp66 »

Had a bit of time in the garage tonight & thought I'd reshape the rear inner arch of a Mk1 Fiesta to resemble the shape of a Imp outer arch..
Firstly I place the the Imp arch section upside to so I can lay the Fiesta inner into it as it would on the car. Lets me know where I need to cut & weld it back together & maybe bend it here & there. I trimmed a bit of the outer part of the Fiesta arch of to to make the bend a tad easier.
Decide where to make the first cut then clamp one piece onto the Imp arch, weld & repeat the method all the way around unitl I run out of Fiesta arch.

Image Image
Image Image
Thats the easy bit done for now. Difficulty will come once I cut out the originals from the Pest & welding the new one back in. No doubt I will probably need to reshape it a bit once I have cut out the old arch but thats to be expected....

Cheers
Col.
Duk
Car Model: 70' stupidlow super, 74' not so low super

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Fiesta inner arch meets Imp

Post by Duk »

Blimey you arent half making me feel like im going slowly in comparison :!: Ive barely started the pillars I mailed you about, got sidetracked shortening wishbones :lol:
MRG 734G - Deceased!
FYL 900J - Still being welded!
JKO 15N - Sharkmouth
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Fiesta inner arch meets Imp

Post by colimp66 »

Shortened wishbones? I'm presuming to get the camber correct on the van?
An update of your semi-spaceframe low van is well overdue I think.. :wink:

Col .
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Open arch surgery....

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers Ash.

Had a spare half an hour earlier & decided to cut out the rhs front arch as a start to fitting my modified Fiesta inner arch & new outer panel I was messing about with earlier this week. Easy enough cutting through the rot but the seam sealer & filler on the inside of the arch doesn't half give of alot of dust... :cry:
Here is the result of my half hour cutting spree..

Couldn't get a better photo due to being in a single garage :?

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" Open arch surgery......

Post by colimp66 »

Not much done again but a fair amount of time doing it all the same :lol:
Front inner arch welded in :D using a MK1 Fiesta rear rhs inner arch all 20 quids worth... 8)

After cutting out the outer wing to align the new panel with the inner there seems to be work needing done on the front panel of all things!!! :o .. :lol: :lol:
There was me thinking I may have a panel that I haven't touched with the grinder or welder... Oh well..

Cheers
Col.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Was the Fezza arch difficult to get to fit? Just curious. :D

Great work!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Not that difficult really just a bit of trial fitting a few times after a bit of trimming. Difficult bit is making it the correct shape initially when both arhces are of the car as shown above. Get that close enough & it makes the fitting to the car easier..Patience is the answer I would say :wink:
Only the second time I have done something like this. The first being the rear lhs arch.

Cheers
Col.
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty »

Been a wee while since any activity, I hope all`s going well mate.

Drew
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

It doesn't bother me anyway. Very rarely do I have him on full lock.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi folks,
been a good whilst since I've been on here. My aopologies as I totally lost interest in The Pest these past few months since I last posted. :cry:
I really need to get back into it & promise I will.. :D
Typically when the sun starts shining... :?: Yeh, it really has been shining here sometimes & the motorbike racing season starts I get distracted from The Pest Thats exactly what happened around Easter time.
Got a bit of decortaing to do in the house then I'll be right back at my wee rusty Imp.

Cheers.
Col.
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Good to hear your OK and just taking a breather

Scott
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks for the encouragement guys. . & after seeing all the great photos of the national my enthusiasm for The Pest has been renewed..
To prove it I have been busy grinding, cutting & welding today with some photos of my own although not quite as cool as some of the Imps from the national.. my own progress towards that event sometime in the future I hope. :wink:

I firstly removed the lower part of the front panel one as it was rusty :o & not attached to the panel behind it. Think it should be welded to this at the bottom of the panel. It wasn't.. :roll: It is now. :D
ImageImage

Before I cut it out I made a template for the new panel. After this was made the panel that the front one should've been welded to was beaten into shape & fitted along with a piece that I made way back when I last worked on the Pest.. for the bottom of the inner arch.
ImageImage

After these were welded into place I returned to the lower front panel once again......

That's where I am at the moment which will now allow me to continue with the outer front arch/wing... This is going to need a bit of fettling as it isn't the greatest of fits especially where it meets the sill & door.. This is what sickened me back in Jan/Feb so I hope it's ready to submit as I'm not going to admit defeat.... :lol:

Cheers
Col.

Oh, my membership cheque is in the post too.. :wink:
chris d
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.libby 75 imp deluxe

Post by chris d »

nice to see your back at it colin
the brake will have done you good
nice to walk away and do something else
it recharges the batteries.
now crack on :lol: :lol:
chris d
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.