Spaceframe Imps

benwick3
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Re: Spaceframe Imps

Post by benwick3 »

Peter,

A racer who wants to preserve his engine. If you look closely at the sump on Heinz's car you will see that it is an enlarged sump with an extension on the bottom of the existing standard sump. The same as fitted to my Clan pre conversion to dry sump. Interestingly I think this is the first time I've seen this modification on one of his cars. It's the same as fitted to the engines I supplied to Michel Chapel for his Clan which he is using with some success in the French Maxi Mille series.

Why not come and prove your theories on the track. How do you think your small sump engine with water/oil cooler would have stood up for 30 minutes at full revs in temperatures of 38 - 42 degrees as I had at Zolder at the weekend?

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
speeddemon
Club Member: No
Car Model: None

Post by speeddemon »

at some stage the front has also undegone change , looks like a grille has been put in place, wouldnt mind having blast against it. I have asked big J to put some pics of my car up , they will be on tonight or tomoz, :)
belgimper_jac
Car Model: DINKY 138 SCALE 1/1

Post by belgimper_jac »

Thanks a lot guys,

alloy tank?...small sump?...sorry :cry: ,i have no engine pics and no answer,but hopefully Heinz will be next month at Brigwater-National 2010. :wink:
He is a Imp Club Member but not on the forum.

Cheers,jac.
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Pete you are so competitive! :wink: No one would doubt your own extensive experience.

However, there is nothing I've said that I wouldn't stand by after reading your post and there is more than one way to skin a cat.

The sump in the picture is a std small conformation that is deeper. Someone commented with surprise about it not being a large sump and I assumed that person was referring to the larger long sump conformation that only cover up problems elsewhere such as inadequate oil cooling and less than clever sump baffling.

I have one of the long sumps which a lot of people use and I have no use for it so if anyone wants it they can have it for free. It is a fairly common, but bad, design with holes in the partition that will trap oil under braking...Eric IIRC, came to the same conclusion about these sumps too after he suffered oil surge under braking.

So not just my theory that the smaller sump is better in this respect.

As to proving my oil cooling system works at sustained high revs ..I've done that on the road to a degree, easy to do with a 12 mph top gear, but obviously not under exactly under the same conditions you describe at Zolder.

And as to why not come racing.... that might have happened before now but life got in the way (eg sons' cancer during 2008/9) plus I had a long wait for new pistons as you know.
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
belgimper_jac
Car Model: DINKY 138 SCALE 1/1

Post by belgimper_jac »

knocker wrote:
knocker wrote:
big J wrote:Robert,would you ever had a chance to compare the prototype Davrian saloon to a later car?Just curious if the design changed,there seems to have been a considerable time between this and the Homewood/Hall car being commisioned.
Who's Heinz?
Heinz is a chap from Belgium met him a National day at Paddock Wood had a blue race G15 a Rawlson and a Davrian imp looks like the car on page 11 number 125 also showed be a picture he had of a Maguire stiletto he had just bought to restore.

Hi,

Francorchamps 2004. Heinz Pfeiffer Davrian-Imp.

Number 125 and number 240...same colour,same eyes, same front-spoiler,same wheels....same car of course

Cheers,Jac. :wink:
big J
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by big J »

Some new pics from Mike,some fairly heavy duty rebuild work going on
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Thanks big J, yes im on with the build, quite time consuming, As said chassis have been blasted and repaired as needed, Chopped the old pedal box off cos it was modified from a centre seat position. Then of course the dreaded RIVET HOLES :x But they had to be done as im putting the panel work inside the sections.so i can remove them for access.

This is my Fibre glass man, hes my neighbour and buddy and giving me a hand and showing me the job. we have repaneled the lower side sections and if you look in the garage with the car inside upside down we have now removed thefront panel made a new section and lip to take a splitter, which will be made from lite timber and be removabale. Should do the job.

I will have some more pics tomoz

I also have a stiletto shell now so im going to mould the roof and other panels asap
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

Peter,

You misunderstood what I said or I did not make it clear. Heinz's sump is a standard sump with an extension to the bottom and consequently it could be described as enlarged as it contains more oil than a standard sump. It is the same design I used pre dry sump, and would use if I was restricted to a wet sump by regulations. I adopted the deeper sump after discussion with Ian Carter some years before he died. I agree completely about the long enlarged sump.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Mike your a brave man i know my car has not got a lot of steel in her and most of the spaceframe car i have looked at dont but with all them holes im sure it has taken a lot of the strenght out of the box section ,you want to check the frame for hair line cracks

col

Post edited by GA to remove duplicated photos
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown »

Holes are a good idea as they lessen the chance of twisting and reduce weight, but Colin's right in what he says as they do look a bit big for the box section size.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Well having worked on structural steel years ago when you wanted to pass pipe work through an rsj we were always told to put a diamond shape as the points would stop the stress and i know im on about heavy steel but i would think the same rule for box section ,but if it has lasted this long it must be ok ,but dk it as you have it all apart

col
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

as the points would stop the stress
That's odd. I'm not doubting you, Colin, but I was under the impression that to stop a crack you should drill the end...making a circle to stop the stress.

Any material engineers out there?
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hey guys dont be worrying about my car as im certainly not :D you start worrying about being on the track come early next year :lol: Hopefully we will all be there having a blast against each other hahahahahah.

Chassis have had some bars removed as they were doing nothing and some put in for extra strength, car was centre seated at some point. But its not far from the powder coaters now. Just waiting to mount the seat and realign the steering and then mostly done.

We are also making a brand new tube chassis for the stiletto so that will start later this year and also doing the moulds similer to the mquire, but they will be my design.

Ive just done the front lower section with lip to take a fabricated splitter

Thanks for your interest.
big J

Post by big J »

I'm gonna duplicate the pics Lee from spaceframecars sent me.He's assisting with a rebuild of George Gunns Stiletto,a damn nice car.

Post edited by GA - As all the photo's that were originally posted here have been duplicated in another thread they have been removed. They can be found here;
http://www.theimpclub.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 69#p138469
big J

Post by big J »

Post edited by GA - As all the photo's that were originally posted here have been duplicated in another thread they have been removed. They can be found here;
http://www.theimpclub.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 69#p138469
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Always a tough job trying to remount a different motor, but looks like you are getting there. Good luck Lee
big J

Post by big J »

No worries Lee,glad to help. :D
It's a fine machine,looks like you're doing some nice work there.

John
ganderson888
Car Model: 1973 Imp Super

Post by ganderson888 »

leeboy44 wrote:hi jon i have loads of photos for you to put up !! i will add them to my website tomorrow
thanks lee
Not wishing to diminish what your doing with this superb car but could I ask that you post just 4 more photo's to whet our appetite please and then include a direct link to the page of the website where they're all published.

Thanks in advance,
Graham Anderson
Graham's Imp Spares
big J

Post by big J »

Is there a problem with the pictures Graham?I'm using photobucket to host them,thought that'd be ok?
ganderson888

Post by ganderson888 »

Hosting photo's via photobucket is the preferred method to link photo's to a thread, however the high number posted in those two posts has caused difficulty with loading for some readers.

Additionally if someone replies to either post but doesn't remove the image codes they would all be repeated thus exacerbating the loading problem. This then causes more work for us Moderators as would need to edit each of these posts.

Personally I also found a lot of the pictures interesting but have to say some looked very similar if not duplicated, and I couldn't easily differentiate between some of the close ups as there are no captions. They way that have been uploaded on to the website is perfect as the captions help the viewer understand what he photo is about.

Hope that explains the reasons behind my previous post.
Graham Anderson
Graham's Imp Spares
big J

Post by big J »

No worries Graham,I'll keep the number of pics per post down and edit them as best as I can.
I saw that a lot of the pics were similar all right,but I reckoned it was better to submit as much info as possible in case there were lads considering building something similar.I reckoned the more pictorial info the better.
Would say,5 pics per post work better?

John
ganderson888

Post by ganderson888 »

big J wrote:No worries Graham,I'll keep the number of pics per post down and edit them as best as I can.
John
John,
It would also be appreicated if photos are not duplicated across threads.
Providing a link from one to the other is quite sufficient which is what I've now done to your earlier posts in this thread.
Graham Anderson
Graham's Imp Spares
grahamdelooze

Post by grahamdelooze »

Hard to get a car under 400kg. I bought the spaceframe which became the Benoy Rawlson off Ian Toon he knows the history of the car.
If your building a new spaceframe then it would be better to choose a multi tubular design that resembles a triangulated roll cage than get hung up trying to poduce a true spacframe out of loads of small tubes, its also easier and cheaper and more robust.Dont get me wrong I still like bronze welded small tube frames ive done a few but they are very time consuming and expensive.Also consider a simple riveted alloy tub center section which doubles as the lower body with front and rear tube frames with something like the jedi grp body on top.
graham
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

All been a bit quiet on this post, However hoping to post some pictures soon. Body shell is nearly ready for primer, chassis needs a few days and powder coat , il put them up asap, thanks all mike
doc knutsen
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Bevan replica

Post by doc knutsen »

jonboi997 wrote:hi all new to this forum been following this excellent thread for a while !!
and i really want to do a full space frame imp does anyone know how many metres of cds steel i will need roughly ?
i was thinking 75 metres ?? too much ?
jon
Get the weight of a bare tubular frame of a design close to what you are aiming for, and establish the weight per metre of the steel tubing that you are proposing to use. That should allow you to calculate roughly how many metres of tube you would be looking for. Calculate on some tubing having to be thrown away due to wrong measurements or shaping...unless you are very experienced :o)
Incidentally, I find Tig-welding the structures very efficient and with little heat distortion. Although the fit of the tube junction is fairly critical. (do invest in a good tube notcher if you haven't got one already).
big J

Post by big J »

Jonboi,a guy I know is building a Lotus 7 type thing,he's got about 50m of 1" tubing in it he reckons.
Here's a chart I found that might help some with weight calculations.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b288/ ... eights.gif

Hope that helps.

John
big J

Post by big J »

Speeddemon Mike sent on some more pics,he's put a ton of work in by the looks of things.
Good man,Mike.
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 »

Thats pretty impressive.
Alot of work put in there :mrgreen:

Col.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Im trying to keep this thead alive, so if anyone has new or old projects up and going add them to the thread.

My fibreglassing skills are fairly basic but thats all these things need. Its alot of common sense and having a go, lucky for me as ive said neighbour has helped me out but doing the new moulds was fairly straight forward.

Cars now in primer and we are painting this weekend. Cars going to be White ( the new ford white ) then with a mix of silver, kawasaki green and black graphics.

Most race cars are pretty basic, but we want the car to stand out. I still am unsure how many cars are still racing?

Hopefully the power unit is going to Andy at Shrigley engineering for pull down and inspection thursday, we already aquired one of there Billet light weight flywheels and we are looking to increase the power output if possible.

Next on the list is a new stilletto.

It wil be a new breed of chassis called the ( Keimer chassis )
big J

Post by big J »

Sounds good Mike.
Where does the name come from?
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Top secret name, but i think its catchi in a japanese type of way hahahahh :D
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Awesome, Mike! Fantastic work! 8) Keep it up!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
big J

Post by big J »

Latest update from Speeddemon,car's looking great.Nice work Mike! :D
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

:shock: Very nice indeed! It's going to be a great looking spaceframe racer! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Im really happy with the car, its taken quite a bit of work , but mainly labour time and patience. We are just waiting on the frame which is due back this week in Kawasaki green. We hope it will be one of the best prepared.

Dependant on circumstances we may sell the car but initially the car will be shown and raced at Oulton Park in next years local race series.

Once we have finalised a few things we are moving onto the stilletto.

Regrads

Mike
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Lets see the pics when you get the job done and join the HTS, please ask my Gunn to as well. Thx

Mike
benwick3

Post by benwick3 »

Why not join the Imp Club while you're at it?

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy »

ubergam3r
Car Model: Hillman Californian

Post by ubergam3r »

colin rooney wrote:Rawlson panels now ready rear wings £300 a pair and complete front £400 contact Marcus on 07780967692 or me on 07515533742 or PM me via club site

col
What size of wheel (Front/Rear) can you run with something like these ^^?
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

col[/quote]

I run 13 inch wheels but you could probably get away with 15 inch

cheers col
doc knutsen
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Bevan replica

Post by doc knutsen »

ubergam3r wrote:
colin rooney wrote:Rawlson panels now ready rear wings £300 a pair and complete front £400 contact Marcus on 07780967692 or me on 07515533742 or PM me via club site
col
When we ran with Rawlson panels like these, they would accommodate 8"x13" fronts with 10"x13" rears just about, though most folks ran 7" and 9" wide rims. Contemporary F3 tyres worked a treat on these rims. The cars were v quick until the Maguire space-frame jobs came out, and they were lighter, and significantly, a whole lot stiffer.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

So what are the differences between the Rawlsons of this world and the Maguires? Are the latter full spaceframes, constructed from scratch, whilst the former are built from Imp shells?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin »

Just to try and spark a bit more interest in this thread. Below are a couple of pics of my spaceframed Suzuki SC100 in which I have been competing in the Northern Saloon and Sports car Championship this year. Although the car is totally outpowered in the up to 2.5litre class I have always finished in the top 8 and have broken the old 1400cc NSSCC class record at Croft no less than 4 times so far this year. Taking the record down from 1:35.4 down to 1.32.1. I know it's not an imp or imp based car but it is an out and out modsports car and just shows what can be achieved with a lightweight spaceframed car against much bigger and more powerful machinery. The car finished 4th overall last saturday out of 36 cars ahead of 450bhp Porsches, Seat touring cars and a host of westfield and other more powerful cars.

There are very few championships that allow in Modsports cars these days, but it just shows that they can still be competitive and excellent fun to drive.
My spaceframed Stiletto is patiently awaiting some dark long winter nights to complete the body fitting and will hopefully be out next year in NSSCC.
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

I've always liked the SC100, not unlike an Imp in many ways.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hey well done to you, im competing in that championship next year as well as pushing the HTS. Shame you havnt got anything 1.0 ltre powered.

How about you turfing that owd busa out of the new imp and puttin in an imp motor then you can come race with us.

good luck

mike :D
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin »

Can't afford to buy an imp motor that will give me a reliable 226bhp !!!
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
HARRY
Car Model: davrian mk 8 / hillman imp

Post by HARRY »

well done dave ,the car looks great .
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

kayjay wrote:In reply to Clive Browns notes about Rawlson spaceframe imps, after Fred Hendy crashed the spaceframed sister version to
John Homewoods Davrian based car, Trevor Willcocks and myself Keith Josh purchased the car from Fred ,complete with new front end repair panels, the car being rebuilt and painted yellow almost the same as Homewoods car.
This was used for a season or so with an 850 cc ultra short stroke Clive Brown engine and a Bevan 850 cc.
The rolling chassis was then sold to Pete Halls who put i think a larger 1220 engine in it ,last time i saw it race he had an accident on the bottom straight at Brands .
So do you still have contact with pete hall or do you know what happened to the car after the accident

col
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hey col, i just dopped the body over my chassis, cars loks the bollocksksksks , i will put pics on tomoz through john.
Clive Brown
Car Model: Mini, tricycle or shanks pony

Post by Clive Brown »

kayjay, I remember you well. How are you doing?

Fred Hendy used either one of two 850cc motors, one of which was a bitsa of the standard 68.0 x 58.0 format, and the other was a semi-short stroke motor with a 69.5 bore using stock one litre valve sizes. This engine, which I loaned to Fred, went like the manure of a trowel.

I did build an ultra-short stroke motor with a stock one litre bore, 51.2mm stroke, and huge valves for Fred to use, but sadly, the accident at Silverstone that ended his UK racing career occurred before it was finished. It did later race, but as a one litre, giving away 150 cc!