PES 989J... "The Pest" ....Knockhill prep

colimp66
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" rebuild

Post by colimp66 »

IM definately looking that way with what im doing with it at the moment.

Another wee bit done tonight, didnt have time to sort out panel I half made up yesterday so sorted out a bit of not far away from it .. More metal bashing to get the correct shape too... :P

Image Image Image

Not a huge amount but that bit was starting to annoy more than the rest, didnt take too long either.. Hope it doesn't look like that ???? :shock:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

More welding & patching of this floor of mine..
Bashed up another repair patch for the underside of the rear seat area & welded my floor panel on that I made up last week.
Undrsdrotcutout.jpg
Undrsdrepairfinished.jpg
Now that's all on, I can get on with the crossmember panel, that might take a wee bit longer than I thought.. Hopefully done by the weekend though. :D

Col.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jim9575
Club Member: No
Car Model: Hillman Imp Deluxe

Post by jim9575 »

Looks superb Col, fancy a trip to Inverbervie to do all my stuff, I can always watch and take notes :wink: .

Jim
Jim Waddell

Post by colimp66 »

I should take heed of my own advice here......

Woke up this morning at 5.00am with the thought in my head that i should've really drilled the hole for the crossmember to bolt through to the body before welding the repair panel on....DOH!!!!! :oops:

I'll take my time shall I??? :lol:

Col..
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks Hugh,
No going back now, I'm fully committed to it & at it most nights of the week doing a little bit to keep the momentum going.

The hole for the crossmember I welded the plate over is now drilled out & a further two drilled for the fitting of the sport crossmember that I have. Need to weld some nuts to a plate for these too.
I understand a common trick to further locate the crossmember was to drill bolt holes above where the wishbones mounts are so 4 more bolts & spacers to take up the gap could be fitted & bolted into the rear seatpan.. I will be doing this aswell & strengthening up that area as I go..

Cheers.
Col
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Finished of the repair panel to the crossmember area today with new holes drilled & captive nuts put in place for the sport crossmember before finally wleding the panel into place. Also made up the return piece from the new panel to the inner wing/arch area to close of that area. :)
Crossmemberrepaircomplete2.jpg

Trial fitted the crossmember & it all fits ok so chuffed with that now :)
Always takes longer than you expect it to though .. :? or that could be just me I guess.

Once that was doen I attacked the rear arch & cut a bit of the outer away that was rotten to reveal surface rust on the inside of the inner arch. A wire brush attachement to the grinder soon sorted that out & the rest I will get with old fashioned sandpaper before a coat of primer goes on it giving it some protection. Whilst I was there I cleaned up the inner arch front & rear leaving shiny metal :D well as shiny as can be expected for a 40 year old car that is...

Next task will be sorting out the rear arch... Got some inners arriving this week which may make it a lot easier than tryiing to bend metal the right shape.

Cheers
Col.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bks974c
Car Model: all the above

Post by bks974c »

Colin

How can you say your slow, its just that you've got a lot of work to do.

Your making a great job of it.

Scott
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Scott & Jim, thank you.

I'm always looking forward to see what I need to be doing for the next step nearer to completion making me think I'm taking too long on what I need to be concentrating on at the moment. My impatientce I guess.. :)
Won't get to it tomorrow either as I'm of to East Fortune to watch the bike racing.. Oh dear another distraction :lol:

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

:lol:
No Big J, they have proper loo's now. Obviously a long time since you've been there.. :)

A right gid circuit now :wink:

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

That would be about right there Big J. I raced a 1984/5 GSXR last year, a 750 chassis with a later 1100 motor in it.. It went well. :D 130bhp in something weighing around 170Kgs made it interesting :lol:

Done a bit more to The Pest yesterday with the rear lhs arch getting some needed attention. . I think the price of MK1 Fiesta panels might be going up soon as I'm using an inner arch this time to repair my rotten example.. £16 & a bit of persuasion to make it fit is all thats needed :lol:

I had to trim it down a bittie on the outsdie of it but here it is trial fitted then welded into place.
Trialfitinnerrrarch.jpg
Innerrrarch3.jpg
Still to finish it of around the bottom edges where it meets the sill & rear arch. I have an outer repair from Malcolm that I may get on near the end of the week once i've tidied up the rest. The rear of the inner arch was repaired previously but none of the rot was cut out so that has been removed & will need doing properly or lets say in a better way seeing it me that's doing it ..

With doing this now I feel that I may go back to the front inner arch & redo it. Not entirely happy how that feels when you run your hand under the arch at the lip, Im getting kinda fussy now about it.. :lol: Not that it will be concourse, far from it but I want to be happy with it.

I cleaned & rubbed down the top of the arch & wing which no one sees so I can paint it & give it some protection. Some amount of crap gets caught inside there???? :o

Cheers
Col.
chris
Car Model: g15 turbo

Post by chris »

Awesome rebuild this.... Great to see the photos of your work and makes me want to attack my gold imp asap!

Never thought of using inner fiesta arches, YES more fiesta panels I can use if needed!!!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming!

Cheers
Chris
Wanted..... FREE STILETTO...... PM Me...........worth a try haha :)
My G15 page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/398397523543681/
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks Chris..
Once you have that garage of yours sorted Chris you can get stuck into your gold imp.. or is that for the turbo to kept in?

The Fiesta arches arent a perfect fit like an Imps would be but once fettled they do a pretty good job all the same & lot cheaper too.. :D My thinking was if the outer could be adapted the inners should be able to aswell.. :)
Chuffed with the result ..

I'll be continuing with the photos, don't worry about that.. loads more to come no doubt.
Cheers
Col.
jim9575
Car Model: Hillman Imp Deluxe

Post by jim9575 »

Great stuff once again Colin, did I see the heater hose left in?

Image :o

I thought it would affected by the welding heat, so removed mine, but if it is not I probably have caused myself a wee bit of extra work for nothing! :roll:

Keep up the good work, certainly encouraging.

Jim
Jim Waddell

Post by colimp66 »

Well spotted Jim.
Yeh, its still there but with it being nearly 40 years old its getting renewed anyway. It was pulled out the way when I was welding to prevent it melting & gassing me .. :mrgreen:

You getting there with yours??

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Chris,
no, I'm not using Fiesta outer arches although I did use a bit of a Fiesta outer arch for the repair to the front wing. I have the proper repair panel for the rear arch to keep the correct look on the outside anyway. :)
I think there was a previous post with Fiesta arches being used front & rear aswell as the bottom of the front panel to make a splitter type spoiler which looked prety good.

Good luck with your gold imp.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Look forward to your update Jim.

My wee update is the rear quarter strengthening plate & the rear of the lhs rear inner wing.
Not much, but incredible the time it takes to first make a template. Check it, cut the metal(oversized) check it, bend it, check it, bend it a bit more then ... erm.. yeh.. check it..cut some more for a neater joint.. check it .. fit it with the clamps.. check it .. maybe do a couple of spot welds.. check it with the other associated panels...then if thats ok weld it properly...Oh!! then check it once thats all welded.... :D
Have to sort all of this area out then a lick of paint before fitting the outer wing repair panel..
Here it is anyhow....
Image Image

I have the template of a sort made up for the inner skin of the wing that sits to the engine side but unsure how it is attached or finished to the wing?? Anyone have a photo please??

Should there be a return like the inner wing channeling the water to the rear of the arch or is it simply spot welded to the outer? I was thinking if it was spot welded it may well have a drain somewhere along its length. :?

Cheers

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Cheers Noddy & Scott.

Thought it may be a simple thing like that. Can undertsand why both of mine are rotten. Easily blocked no doubt .

The socket technique sounds like a good idea Scott.

Cheers
Colin.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hi,
managed to get the inner skin of the rear wing made up & fitted today. Was hoping to have more done but had other things to be getting on with so The Pest has been ignored pretty much this week.

Heres a couple of pics for the outside view & from the engine bay..
Lhsinnerwingskinrpr.jpg
Cheers.
Col.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

That looks to be a very good repair. :) Very nice work! Better to get one job done well than lots done less well, in my view. :wink:

Keep up the great work!

Paul 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Hello again,
sorry for not updating The Pest in a whilst but I haven' tbeen doign much with but feelign like getting back into it once again.
This week I have fitted the rear outer arch & have been trimming the rest of the panels ready for fitting so the left hand side should be more or less complete apart from a few odd bits here & there. Famous last words there I bet!!! :o

Here's a few piccies to show you all what i've done.
Lhsrearwingrpr2.jpg
There will be a bit of filler to make it all nice but I'm hoping it will be a lot less than I took out of the original repair...
Here's a wee repair I had to do to the rear so the bottom corner would look ok. I made this out of two pieces of metal & two attempts at it aswell. more fille rrequired ... :lol:

That will be all I'm doing this week as I'm of down to Croft to watch some (hopefully) Imps racing at the HSCC event this weekend. Looking at the entry list I think there is 4 out so looking forward to that & give me inspiration no doubt.

Cheers
Col.
long_gone_John
Car Model: 3 sal ('74/'64/'64)-all gone!!

Post by long_gone_John »

:shock: Oh! IMPs @ Croft Circuit....this weekend... :!:

Hmmm..........

LGJ
TooMuch power.. is not quite enough ;<)

875- GGR 640N - Scrapped
930- 533 KNX - Stolen
BV998- 884 KOE (Ex Sidecar motor!!)
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Yeh..!!! Both days John. 8)

I'll be there on the Sunday :D

Col
big J
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by big J »

Fair play Col,that's a hell of a lot of work.

Keep her lit :D
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

First of I will say that the racing at Croft on Sunday was brilliant.
The Historic Touring car race featuring four Imps was brilliant. Easily the best racing of the day. Ian & Colin Gunton along with Shaun Hazelwood & Steve Platt all showing what Imps can do.. 8)

Once home today I got stuck into The Pest with renwed enthusiasm once again :lol: The rear lhs arch is now more or less complete with the sill/wing repair section in aswell. This section was bought when I ordered the sills & it needed a good bit of modifying to suit the arch repair section & meet the sill at the bottom.. Quite annoying but I got there with it after welding in a piece to make it reach the sill.

Image Image

Once I had finished with that it was onto the rear corner.. A little bit more trimming & fettling & it was on.. :D Some filler required around the rear end now I think. :) Alot less than what came out of it I'm hoping though..

ImageImage

Still to spot weld the bottom of the corner to the inner wing but that shouldn't take to long. There's still a few wee odds & sods to do on the left hand side of the car but thats all of the major stuff done now I think so looking forward to flipping it around & doing the right hand side.. :shock: Be much if the same I'm thinking..
Here we go again!!!!! :?

Cheers
Col. :)
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

A little bit of buffing today removing all the old paint & underseal from the left hand side floor. This will allow me to Zinc 182 it then seam seal all my welds.
Nice to see all the shiney metal instead of encrusted rust & old underseal.. :)

Thought it was about time I removed the handbrake & cables along with the gear lever & anything else that is attached to the tunnel. A fair bit of underseal in the tunnel too....oh & some rust........ :shock:

Image Image

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Thanks Baz.. I'm doing my best here . :)

A wee bit more done today. More tidying up of previous welds etc & catching all the wee holes that I seem to appear once you start wire brushing floor pans etc & removing paint.

Tipped the car upright once more & managed to get at the scuttle panel on the lhs to repair the rot that seems to happen there when water gets into the window pillars I'm assuming. Anyway, cut it out & made up a repair section & welded it in so it looks near enough how it should. Welded up the hole at the bottom of the screen pillar & various holes along the slam panel where the scuttle meets the luggage compartment. Seen a few Imps that have been repaired in the corners where mine has gone..Luckily I didnt need to plate it.

ImageImage

The repair to this part .....
Before I attempted the hole at the bottom of the window pillar. The hole can be seen at mo there..
Still to look at the door opening where the door seal pushes onto, a bit of it is rotten due to a damp headling once upon a time.. :cry:

Cheers

Col.
big J

Post by big J »

You no finished that yet?Ach c'mon,10 kilos of filler,some chicken wire and an afternoon wi the sander,you'll be away! :lol:

Seriously though,plug on.It's a feckin chore,but it'll be some buzz when it's done.You can point at it and say-"See that?I made that.All of it.The whole bl***y thing" :lol:

To infinity........
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

IM,
cheers & it's all about the practice. I'm hoping & thinking you won't need to do as much to your Imp as I have done to this & I still have a lot more to do.. :cry:

Big J.. :lol: It's starting to feel like I've made the whole car I tell you.. :lol: I daren' tthink about the body filler & all the rubbing down that it's going to need.. aaaaargh!!! :o

Whats happening with your project?? Any further forward with it?? be good to hear of any progress

Cheers
Col. :wink:
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" rebuild.. rust removal

Post by colimp66 »

Thats a bummer Big J... Get on with your mates, charge him loads & then get back into your Imp with your new found wealth eh?? :wink:

Been tidying up bits here & there on "The Pest" today & looking to see what I can do next & had a good gander at the RHS door opening & top of the screen. Pretty far gone unfortunately but after looking at it closer I reckon panels of a sort can be made upto replace the horrible rusty parts that are there at the moment. Luckily the roof panle is ok.. Must be the only panel on the car :lol:
Definatley caused by a damp headling being left over many years no doubt..

See what you all think....
Image ImageImage

Not sure if replacement panels are available but I doubt it... Anybody know otherwise?????

Cheers

Col
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Yikes! :shock: I would doubt you could get repair sections for those areas. Anyone breaking or broken an Imp lately that could help? :idea:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Yep,
a bit of head scratching required there but managed to make up the piece for the top of the door opening already with my own "old angle iron bender", vice & a bit of 25mm box section.
I'll make up the rest with cutting the shape then welding in the flat pieces for the complex curvie bit I think.. Give it a go anyway & see how it turns out. :wink:
Topdoorrprsection2.jpg
Started of with 85x600 sheet with first bend of 10mm then 20, 25 for the centre, 20 the finished with 10 for the door seal part of it.
That will be the easiest one to make.

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

I've bitten the bullet & tried to make a buck(sure thats what you call them) for the hockey stick shaped screen pillar panel. Going to try & make the panel in one piece like the factory did. I'll screw the buck to my bench then try & persuade the metal sheet to take shape around it.... Then probably use pliers & my trusty old angle iron & vice for the rest of it..

Here' s a photo of the half made buck, made form 5mm steel.. not that interesting but here it is all the same. making this in itself took half an hour & stil to finish it of.
Screenpillarbuck.jpg
Col.
colimp66

PES 989J... "The Pest" rebuild..metal bashing

Post by colimp66 »

Had a bit of luck with the metal bashing earlier with making up one more section for the door pillar & managing to make it without cutting & welding :D
Fitted it up against the existing area & seems to look pretty close, close enough for me anyhow. I haven't cut out the rusty part yet but wont be far away now. I know once I do that I will have to make up the outer/middle piece aswell, that shouldn't be too difficult as it looks like a Z style affair.

Here it is....
Screendoorrpr.jpg
I put the two together & you can see the shape the door frame from that..
Now I have to make up the top of the screen to the roof above the driver where the visor would be fitted..

Cheers
Col.
ben
Car Model: imp deluxe

Post by ben »

mate that truly is remarkable well done and good luck with the fitting.

Ben.
Two odd socks do not make a pair.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Nice work, Colin! :D Does your repair section fit as well as it looks?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

IM, Ben & Paul cheers..
I've not tried them yet as I still have some of the old bits still on the car. Laying the second section on the screen pillar it seems pretty close though. Once I cut this piece out I will need to make up the section this attaches to(external piece for the door rubber) & no doubt need to trim here & there lik eyou have to do .. :)

It has to be better than bunging a load of filler into it... 8)

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

IM, can I finish my one first??? You could be in for a long wait :lol:

Hey Big J cheers ...Oh!! & watch it. :wink: Thats my pride & joy that bike. They dont need to catch on, I worry about other folk catching me when I'm racing it. :lol: two stroke loveliness that is!!!

Of to East Fortune today & it's tipping it down...More like Knockhill weather here today :cry:

Cheers

Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

I wish.. :D

No. it's a 1980 aircooled RD250E with a 350 top end from a A or B. Ported, barrels skimmed, heads reshaped, bigger YPVS reed blocks, bored out carbs & expansion chambers.. Goes pretty well, well it did the first time I had it & raced. Sold it on a few years ago to go Classic racing with a Suzuki T20 & now bought it back to get out again next year.
The engine needs a rebuild & the bodywork fettled once again as it has been a tad neglected :cry:

Here it is in it's former glory.

That was/is at East Fortune.

Cheers.
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Yes,
I am a member of the SCRMC although I haven't raced this year. I won the SCRMC 250 championship 2 years ago on my T20 & the plan is to race the RD next year at East Fortune & possibly Knockhill all going well in the Junior Forgotten Era class.

Cheers

Col.
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon »

Is it just me or ....
would the wheel rims on that bike, straightened out a little, make some good curved channel section????? :D
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

It's definately just you... :lol: But I can see where your coming from . Cheaper using metal form B&Q though, expensive rims them..
Glad to here you got the seat foam Paul.

Bit of a result from the weekend. I picked up a sport head, L4 bottom end & a block strengthening kit for a reasonable price & i'm chuffed with that. The head & block need a bit of work but all good for modifying for a quick motor at some point. Also bought a pair of brand new Fiesta MK2 brake calipers for not a lot of money from Evilbay which were advertised for a M**i. So that will be the disc front end parts coming together now too :D

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" metal bashing

Post by colimp66 »

I've been at again with the angle iron in the vice & my hammer.
This time for the repair at the top of the screen. This is the last one before I cut it all out & make the last bittie I hope for this area.
I've modified it since I took the photo as it was a tad too wide at the widest end & now close enough to the original as I can make it size wise. I may drill the holes as original before fitting. I think the difficulty will be trying to replicate the indentation. I'm not fitting visors so not a huge issue for a part that wont be seen once the headlining is on there.
Wndscrnrpr.jpg
wndscrnrproldnew.jpg
Cheers
Col.
sammy the sturgeon

Re: PES 989J... "The Pest" rebuild metal bashing

Colin - that last picture looks like something on Time team - where they dig up the remnants, and from a 1" piece of pot, impose a picture of a three foot tall ancient urn. very nice work.

On the disc thing, (I'm just thinking of any future projects :!: ) I'm guessing the fiesta discs are used because the Pcd is right on the studs?

:idea:
has anybody though of using midget discs and calipers?
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

Col,

Trust me... don't miss out the sunvisors. You will regret it... I had a wonderful Imp Sport back in the day that someone had modded up (998, big wheels etc etc) and they had stripped out the interior including the headlining/visors. It was undriveable of a summers evening...

For the sake of four captives, at least give yourself the option for the future. 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Paul,
that will match the rest of the car as some it of it does look like it had been buried for a couple of hundred years :lol: It's slowly disappearing though so I'm hoping Tony (Baldrick) whatshisname won't be giving me a visit anytime soon.

Colin, Tim thanks for the advice the only reason Im saying this was that my original visors were chucked due to them being all foostie & stinking of damp. I guess I will have to track done some decent visors or maybe buy an Imp club windscreen banner...

Cheers
Col.
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Drew,
cheers I would appreciate that , thank you.

I have thought about putting on a sunstrip in the same colour as the car once I decide on what colour it will be to avoid the visors going on but if & this is a big if, I ever sell it it may not to be everyones taste although I do plan on building it for my taste. 8)

cheers
Col.
big J

Post by big J »

Just pull that tinted visor down a bit,you'll be grand. 8)
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Oh, is it? Where'd I get 100mm from? :lol: Cheers, Big J!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
sammy the sturgeon

So, why do people go for a fiesta disc conversion where the discs must need drilling, instead of something that has discs that would fit- then the only conversion would be a 'bracket' carrying the caliper?
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
colimp66

Post by colimp66 »

Paul,
I think the Midget disc would need to be put on a lathe for the centre to be opened out to suit the Imp hub as opposed to opening out the holes or redrilling the Fiesta disc which may be easier for folk from what I've read on here anyhow.
I'm sure someone with more experience on this matter will be along shortly. :)

Cheers

Col.