75 Imp. To the paintshop...

kilty
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imps

75 Imp. To the paintshop...

Post by kilty »

I can now edit photos so thought I`d send this one of my latest Imp. Bought around October last year, had been garaged since 79, and after having all braking system replaced with all new parts, and a set of new hoses, was MoTd for the first time in 30 years. I`ve had my share of minor problems with it, which at the time I thought were worse than they were! It has very minimal surface rust on the sills, which comes off to good steel with a very light rubbing block. All metalwork is original, and hasn`t had any body repairs done to it, and after thorough inspection I can see only a small section of o/s front wing bottom needing done. It had been kept under a polythene sheet apparently which didn`t do a lot for the paint. Although still glossy, it has numerous spots where water droplets have caused the finish to lift. Previous owner treated these areas and I`m planning on a bare metal respray hopefully this summer. Am thinking of soda-blasting it myself. Interior in very good condition also. I have no long term plan in mind for it, I just wanted to get back into Imping fast!

Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
kilty

Re: The 75 Imp

Post by kilty »

Been a wee while since I`ve done any post-worthy work on this car, but I made a start on the Dalmation effect scabs that are on most of the horizontal exterior panels. I went through a fair few discs on the d/a sander, but I`m just happy to be making very slow progress. It may still be in rough white colour for the national, but if I`m lucky I might get it finished :lol: I`ll be taking the whole lot back to steel prior to final finishing :o this is just to halt any further scabbing really.

Cheers, Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kilty

Post by kilty »

Ha! She will be, she makes 10 grand a year more than I do!!
kilty

Post by kilty »

Well as I`m idle at present I`ve been getting on with some wee jobs that I should`ve been getting on with some time ago, mainly routine maintenance! I replaced my holed rack gaiter the other day and thought I`d give the king pins and UJ`s a bit of grease, this led to a brake adjustment session, removal of underfloor panel to grease the gearchange mechanism and replenishment of the transaxle fluid. The latter will have to wait until I find my correct socket and large bar, as the filler plug will not budge, same goes for the new temp sender, the old one won`t come out, and I`ve snapped the connector off it trying :x . Anyhoo I consoled myself with a little cleaning of the interior, which looks like this. Purists will maybe reel at me fitting door trims from a different model, but it makes the interior a nicer place to be, and quieter when I close the door! (Cheers T. Morgan & Super 66) The rubber mats have been protected in use from a set of carpets originally fitted at the dealers. Apparently the lady who ordered the car was told that the deluxe came with rubber mats, this made her believe it was carpeted and additional mats were being supplied. When she went to collect the Imp she was not happy and immediately bought a set of carpets on the spot and had the dealer fit them!
I just hoovered them and wiped with a damp cloth, came up a treat I reckon. Pity I don`t have a spray booth eh?!
Anyone got a correct radio for that there gaping hole?!! 8)

Drew
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Post by bazzateer »

Looks good Drew, any close up pics of the console?
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
kilty

Post by kilty »

No sooner said Bazza.............. I have to find someplace else to rest my left foot now :roll:
kilty

Post by kilty »

I`ll be putting the original carpet back before national to keep the mats protected.
I brought back my Mums roofrack last time I visited, she bought it when she got her first Imp, must have been 1967, but it was a 64 car. It still looks good but would benefit a rechrome in sections, the wood is near perfect after all those years in her loft. This is the first time it`s been back on an Imp in over 30 years, aaaaaaaahh!
A bit of a nightmare to set up. It had been pushed together in storage and I had to adjust everything before fitting it. It`s a bit like a multi-directional trombone! Hoping to pick up a door in Bridgwater see. :D

Drew
kilty

Post by kilty »

Cheers!!
Was wonderin`....could anyone who has the necessary, do a virtual paint job on my car and make it metallic silver please?? I`m really considering it now. Of course a new job, or my old one back will have to come first. :P

Ta, Drew
kilty

Re: The 75 Imp...still buzzing!

Post by kilty »

Late posting this..........but my buzzing persists. I`ll take the exhaust off next weekend and see if it makes any odds, or if it`s falling apart inside I should be able to tell. It appears sound in situ. I finally got my recently fitted Lucas mirror to stop trembling, which is a bonus and looks cool.

Drew
kilty

Re: The 75 Imp...buzzing!

Post by kilty »

Something still buzzing even after removing/replacing and investigating the boggo silencer. I`m still sure it is the culprit, but as it is still externally sound and not shedding rust from inside I`ll leave it for now. I just got these seats before Crimbo and I`ll be trial fitting one before long. If they don`t tilt forward enough due to height no matter, as I rarely have more than 1 passenger at a time anyhoo! I`m reckoning on a set of rears in a similar shade of vinyl along with blue door cards if they`re still where I think they should be :wink: . This should look quite cool with a Polar exterior........................Drew
kilty

Re: 75 Imp. To the paintshop...

Post by kilty »

In the buff! No rot found, no dents, no filler. Going for the repaint as late as I did was for the best. 8)
Pity the dust sheets got removed from the front seats! :roll:
kilty

Re: Back from paint...

Post by kilty »

Cheers chaps. Didn't go down the new hinge route after all Tim. I didn't fancy watching them turn to pooder!
A few of it as of yesterday. It's not on the drive all the time. A good neighbour lets me use her heated garage. :wink:
Hilariously, all the other body bits are in my lockup which has 120 quids worth of seized padlocks on it!