75 Imp. To the paintshop...

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

kilty
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imps

75 Imp. To the paintshop...

Post by kilty » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm

I can now edit photos so thought I`d send this one of my latest Imp. Bought around October last year, had been garaged since 79, and after having all braking system replaced with all new parts, and a set of new hoses, was MoTd for the first time in 30 years. I`ve had my share of minor problems with it, which at the time I thought were worse than they were! It has very minimal surface rust on the sills, which comes off to good steel with a very light rubbing block. All metalwork is original, and hasn`t had any body repairs done to it, and after thorough inspection I can see only a small section of o/s front wing bottom needing done. It had been kept under a polythene sheet apparently which didn`t do a lot for the paint. Although still glossy, it has numerous spots where water droplets have caused the finish to lift. Previous owner treated these areas and I`m planning on a bare metal respray hopefully this summer. Am thinking of soda-blasting it myself. Interior in very good condition also. I have no long term plan in mind for it, I just wanted to get back into Imping fast!

Drew
Attachments
imp white.jpg
Day after purchase.
Last edited by kilty on Wed May 01, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
james
Car Model: Imp caledonian

Re: The 75 Imp

Post by james » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:57 pm

'tis a lovely car - it had that 'right' feel to the doors and the switches that only comes from a cared-for example. Not loose and worn, not tight and over-restored, just nice. The interior was very clean, too.

Much nicer than my scruffy thing.

I'd suggest that rustproofing of the box sections and underside would be a good idea once the weather has warmed a little.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:01 pm

Good solid car there Drew , certainly better than the 75 one coming to me soon . :D
Formally known as " Noddy "
kilty

Post by kilty » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:50 pm

Cheers chaps. I`ve got a large quantity of cavity wax just waiting to be used James :P

Dave,
No doubt your latest one will get the Noddy treatment in time mate!
Here`s a pic of the extent of the worst corrosion on the sills. I`ve never seen this type of plug used on any Imp sill before, mind you I`ve never had one so untouched before :shock: What do you think?

Drew
Last edited by kilty on Sun May 20, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Thats the original type of metal plug all Imps had to start with , My Singers still got both original sills fitted with these still in them , Vuskys still got this on the nearside sill as its still original :o and the other side coz i fitted a NOS sill , they just prise out with a screwdriver if you want to peek inside , i might have a few of these lying about if any are missing , not sure though. there should be three on each side , two on the sill either end under the door and one near the rear wheel on what looks like the sill but as you know is the rear wing.
kilty

Post by kilty » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Other side`s the same, only less corrosion. Loads of stupid little speckles of rust behind rear crossmember and down the insides of the rear quarter panels, mostly under the 3 way bleed junction, but nothing anywhere near serious. It should all come off with minimal hassle. It looks quite a mess in my honest opinion close up, but after inspecting it with the nit comb it`s extremely sound and hopefully will make a smart looking motor.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Tis already a smart motor , quite rare to find an Imp with original sill still fitted , i for one am very lucky , and so are you. :D
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:09 pm

Very nice car, Drew. :D

I often miss my original Imp Super...

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
kilty

Post by kilty » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:16 pm

Quite a lot has happened since my last post in readers` cars (look under my posts to view!) I`ve had loads of problems associated with the recommissioning of this car. Overheating cured by fitting a new HE radiator, the original Metalastik donuts cracked up pretty quickly after I started using it every day, as did the UJ`s. The cars` 2nd MoT test in 30 years showed up wear in the n/s front wheel bearing, and the o/s king pin. I decided to do the others while I was at it. Also a leaking rear shock was found, so I fitted a pair of NOS ones, rapidly followed by a pair of fronts kindly offered and fitted by Noddy, cheers :D Many miles have since been covered including Impulse09. The car has been stationary on the drive for several weeks now as it developed an erratic `no brakes` scenario, which I`m hoping is particle contamination in the fluid, as all cylinders were replaced with new ones around 2 years ago, and the pipes also. I`ll flush it through when I get the time and if that doesn`t cure it then I`ll try another new master cylinder. I`m hoping to get it painted before next years` National if nothing untoward gets in the way :roll: I`ll still be without a garage this winter, but I`ll be fitting an outdoor cover on the car, a proper one, and I`ve recently used about 200 quids worth of cavity wax on it, I want to keep those sills :P Found a place not far away that will blast and etch prime my 13" ROstlyes, so I`ll have wheel options with this one.

Cheers, Drew
Last edited by kilty on Sun May 20, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:40 pm

Sorry your still having problems with the brakes , your car has a really good shell so wax is good , you know where i am if you need any help.
kilty

Post by kilty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:36 pm

I do, cheers :D
kilty

Post by kilty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:50 pm

Been a wee while since I`ve done any post-worthy work on this car, but I made a start on the Dalmation effect scabs that are on most of the horizontal exterior panels. I went through a fair few discs on the d/a sander, but I`m just happy to be making very slow progress. It may still be in rough white colour for the national, but if I`m lucky I might get it finished :lol: I`ll be taking the whole lot back to steel prior to final finishing :o this is just to halt any further scabbing really.

Cheers, Drew
Attachments
Scabby Deluxe 2.jpg
Scabby Deluxe 2.jpg (15.76 KiB) Viewed 19720 times
Scabby Deluxe.jpg
Scabby Deluxe.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 19720 times
Last edited by kilty on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Got to call him Spot from now on :lol:
kilty

Post by kilty » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:38 pm

8) Like it. Though I still can`t get the thought of a colour change out of my heid!!
basil imp
Car Model: imp super 1975, imp super 1973, imp super 1971

Post by basil imp » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Well I've seen you about quite a few times about lately (I was over my gfs auntes and she lives a road away !)
looking foward to seeing how it turns out
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:20 pm

Vick says you can't call it 'Spot'. She still owns the original 'Spot' - refer the Powderham 2002 video and the Summer Groove video from SPR for more info... One day Spot will live again... :wink:

BTW - if no-one has already mentioned it, its better to lather it with rattle cans of colour than leave it in primer. Primer (and rust convertor) is pourous and will allow the steel underneath to corrode. Rattle cans of top coat will protect the steel 100% better.
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
kilty

Post by kilty » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:00 am

impmann wrote:Vick says you can't call it 'Spot'. She still owns the original 'Spot' - refer the Powderham 2002 video and the Summer Groove video from SPR for more info... One day Spot will live again... :wink:

BTW - if no-one has already mentioned it, its better to lather it with rattle cans of colour than leave it in primer. Primer (and rust convertor) is pourous and will allow the steel underneath to corrode. Rattle cans of top coat will protect the steel 100% better.
:D Nice one! Never been one to give a car a name anyhoo, but maybe I`ll call it Dot instead! I have used topcoat on it, (dunno why I wrote primer :shock: ) for the time being Vauxhall Glacier white, which you`ll know isn`t the correct shade and it looks pants, but from 3/4 of a mile away it gets admiring looks 8)

Drew
kilty

Post by kilty » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:25 pm

basil imp wrote:Well I've seen you about quite a few times about lately (I was over my gfs auntes and she lives a road away !)
8) I`ve only ever spotted 2 other Imps in 7 years here, is yours on the go?
basil imp

Post by basil imp » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:57 pm

kiltyarse wrote:
basil imp wrote:Well I've seen you about quite a few times about lately (I was over my gfs auntes and she lives a road away !)
8) I`ve only ever spotted 2 other Imps in 7 years here, is yours on the go?
No mines in the garage still, may be ready end of year and mums is still on the go (no tax atm) saw you just as you go into knowle on the roundabout, was looking good! Cant wait to get mine finished
kilty

Post by kilty » Wed May 05, 2010 4:23 pm

I`ve been doing a few wee jobs for the impending MoT test this Monday. Started off with fitting a new valve at my washer junction, as the split I had last year had become too big to seal properly, then I adjusted the brakes even though they seem better than last time when they passed. Replacement headlight due to a pothole about the same size as the car, which I adjusted with a chalkline on a wall, hope it`s right! Then today I finally, after a years planning :oops: made and fitted some leather check straps for the front suspension. (I told you I`d get them done Dave :D ) Just a shame my wheelarches aren`t as underseal-free as yours! So hopefully that`s that, as with my Saab still off the road and facing a bill of around 1600 sovs` the Imp is my only mode of transport at the moment. I wouldn`t have it any other way really, but the Mrs likes her leccy windows/air con/cruise control and all that gubbins :roll:

Drew
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Wed May 05, 2010 4:52 pm

kiltyarse wrote: the Mrs likes her leccy windows/air con/cruise control and all that gubbins :roll:
Let her pay for the repairs to the Saab then! :lol:
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
kilty

Post by kilty » Wed May 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Ha! She will be, she makes 10 grand a year more than I do!!
kilty

Post by kilty » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Well as I`m idle at present I`ve been getting on with some wee jobs that I should`ve been getting on with some time ago, mainly routine maintenance! I replaced my holed rack gaiter the other day and thought I`d give the king pins and UJ`s a bit of grease, this led to a brake adjustment session, removal of underfloor panel to grease the gearchange mechanism and replenishment of the transaxle fluid. The latter will have to wait until I find my correct socket and large bar, as the filler plug will not budge, same goes for the new temp sender, the old one won`t come out, and I`ve snapped the connector off it trying :x . Anyhoo I consoled myself with a little cleaning of the interior, which looks like this. Purists will maybe reel at me fitting door trims from a different model, but it makes the interior a nicer place to be, and quieter when I close the door! (Cheers T. Morgan & Super 66) The rubber mats have been protected in use from a set of carpets originally fitted at the dealers. Apparently the lady who ordered the car was told that the deluxe came with rubber mats, this made her believe it was carpeted and additional mats were being supplied. When she went to collect the Imp she was not happy and immediately bought a set of carpets on the spot and had the dealer fit them!
I just hoovered them and wiped with a damp cloth, came up a treat I reckon. Pity I don`t have a spray booth eh?!
Anyone got a correct radio for that there gaping hole?!! 8)

Drew
Attachments
imp 022.jpg
Imp 030.jpg
Last edited by kilty on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Looks good Drew, any close up pics of the console?
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
kilty

Post by kilty » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:54 pm

No sooner said Bazza.............. I have to find someplace else to rest my left foot now :roll:
Attachments
Console 003.jpg
basil imp

Post by basil imp » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Have a period tape player here. I like the imp a lot, the mats seem a bit unusual?
kilty

Post by kilty » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:44 pm

:? Haven`t all later deluxes` got these mats? Anyhoo...a question; Can anyone tell me which type of Service Book this Imp would have come with? I have the correct dark blue Rootes one for my Sunbeam Imp, and I also have the same type with this car, filled in with the correct details. I was thinking maybe the later cars would`ve been issued with a Chrysler one, or at least Rootes with the Pentastar alongside? Maybe they had a surplus and it was another cost-saving exercise to avoid a reprint?

Drew
impmann

Post by impmann » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:58 am

All chrysler deluxes and basics came with mats as standard, Super Imps came with carpets.

I've just taken the mat out of Pele - they tend to last a lot better than the carpets and IMHO are more practical in everyday use. The carpets look nicer though!! 8)
Tim Morgan
kilty

Post by kilty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:00 pm

I`ll be putting the original carpet back before national to keep the mats protected.
I brought back my Mums roofrack last time I visited, she bought it when she got her first Imp, must have been 1967, but it was a 64 car. It still looks good but would benefit a rechrome in sections, the wood is near perfect after all those years in her loft. This is the first time it`s been back on an Imp in over 30 years, aaaaaaaahh!
A bit of a nightmare to set up. It had been pushed together in storage and I had to adjust everything before fitting it. It`s a bit like a multi-directional trombone! Hoping to pick up a door in Bridgwater see. :D

Drew
Attachments
Roof Rack 003.jpg
Roof Rack 003.jpg (32.08 KiB) Viewed 18900 times
Roof Rack 001.jpg
Roof Rack 001.jpg (30.76 KiB) Viewed 18893 times
Last edited by kilty on Sun May 20, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:59 pm

Great roof rack , im selling a 60s one at the national ( blatant self plug ) :roll:
kilty

Post by kilty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Noddy wrote: ( blatant self plug ) :roll:
Quite right mate, dinnae blame ye!
I`ve got another one, only a bit bigger and designed by the bloke that did the P6. Looks great on a big Rover but probs too big on an Imp.
chris d
Car Model: stella sunbeam stiletto.crusty 75 sunbeam sport

Post by chris d » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:57 am

hi drew
thats a cracking little car you have
look after it :D
chris d
stella sunbeam stiletto.finished and enjoying
libby 75 imp deluxe.ongoing.
kilty

Post by kilty » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:12 pm

Cheers!!
Was wonderin`....could anyone who has the necessary, do a virtual paint job on my car and make it metallic silver please?? I`m really considering it now. Of course a new job, or my old one back will have to come first. :P

Ta, Drew
Attachments
Imptwentyten 010.jpg
kilty

Re: The 75 Imp..buzzing!

Post by kilty » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:23 pm

Gave the car a service yesterday, ready for the winter months. Realised before but never mentioned it here, this car never seems to need the oil topping up! I lose a few drips from the sump gasket when it`s hot, but apart from that I never notice the level go down by much. I have a habit of putting exactly the maximum amount stated in the manual, so losing these few drops every other day doesn`t amount to much by the time it gets changed. Not used to having an Imp that didn`t burn any :shock: I`ve got another new annoyance, a buzzing coming from the exhaust I believe, when it`s idling with the choke partly out, and the revs are at about 1200. Then when I put the choke in, revs drop it stops. It`ll start again when I`m going up through the gears but stops at anything over about 35mph. When on a fast idle I can make it stop by pressing lightly on the tailpipe, but it`s all secure there. This is a new one on me, maybe the silencer is on it`s way out? I think it`s the original one!?
Any ideas??
Drew
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: The 75 Imp...buzzing!

Post by ImpManiac » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:39 pm

Baffle plate working loose due to corrosion?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
sammy the sturgeon
Car Model: GLAddis an August 1963 Imp De Luxe

Post by sammy the sturgeon » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:57 am

ImpManiac wrote:Baffle plate working loose due to corrosion?

IM 8)
could be anything as simple as a loose bracket or bracket nut, loose metal joint in the silencer, to the above... but be careful, listening too closely can end up with a burnt ear!!!! :D
Paul Holmes, Rotherham
'GLAddiss' August 63 Imp deluxe (Under restoration)
Vectra C 2.2 SRi - Daily
and a garage on the garden!
kilty

Post by kilty » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:43 pm

ImpManiac wrote:Baffle plate working loose due to corrosion?

IM 8)
That`s what I`m thinking, the internals are on their way oot the pipe!
There`s nothing loose, I`ve checked it all.

Drew
impmann

Post by impmann » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:02 am

Tap the silencer with your knuckle - if it has a loose baffle you'll hear it resonate with a buzz.

Could it be a washer rattling in sympathy?
Tim Morgan
kilty

Post by kilty » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:33 am

Tim,
I`m sure all the fixtures are sound mate. I`ll take another gander at it in a bit. I`ll do the tapping technique. :)

Cheers, Drew
kilty

Re: The 75 Imp...still buzzing!

Post by kilty » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Late posting this..........but my buzzing persists. I`ll take the exhaust off next weekend and see if it makes any odds, or if it`s falling apart inside I should be able to tell. It appears sound in situ. I finally got my recently fitted Lucas mirror to stop trembling, which is a bonus and looks cool.

Drew
Attachments
Lucas 608 002.jpg