Inner drive shafts

bks974c
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: all the above

Re: Inner drive shafts

Post by bks974c »

Only strengthened ones I'm aware of are suitable for lsd's either Quaiffe or ..... (can't think of the company but it will come to me).
The splines are much coarser so not interchangleable.

Regards
Scott
skamanfrank
Club Member: No
Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Post by skamanfrank »

bks974c wrote:Only strengthened ones I'm aware of are suitable for lsd's either Quaiffe or ..... (can't think of the company but it will come to me).
Transx?
Cheers
Frank
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

Cheers Frank, thats the one.

Scott
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

you will probably find that rallying on them has weakend them, they are not prone to just going when you pull away they have to have suffered some abuse beforehand, i had a donut let go replaced it finished the rallly and after washing the car went to put it in the garage and there was a bang and the inner to the diff had sheared off so must have been weakend when the donut went but struggled on for the remainder of the event, piccy in the album section. i replace mine once a year with known good ones from standard cars (i am running out)
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown »

Can they be heat-treated to give greater strength?
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

I tore the splines off one pulling away a bit sharpish , donut was fine :shock:
Formally known as " Noddy "
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

Noddy wrote:I tore the splines off one pulling away a bit sharpish , donut was fine :shock:
:shock: titanium reinforced dounts?

"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
bks974c

Post by bks974c »

I sheared one and twisted the other while trying to spin the wheels at an Autotest on tarmac, dougnuts still intact. Broken umpteen broken gearbox casings too.

Went to strengthened casing but ended up stripping the planet gears after 2 events so added a quaiffe diff to the equation, so far so good but not used
it much.

Scott
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

i am having mine frozen by a company called frozen solid to see if it helps as sourcing low mileage un abused shafts is getting hard, will let you know how i get on.
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

moose wrote:i am having mine frozen by a company called frozen solid to see if it helps as sourcing low mileage un abused shafts is getting hard, will let you know how i get on.
Mike.

Do you mind if I ask how much this process costs? I have read a few very positive things about it. Cryogenically freezing the parts down to -300f then warming them up a degree at a time over several days to restructure the molecules in the metal. One quote claims that parts can be made 300% stronger by this process alone :shock: .

Some places seem to charge by weight, is it the same with Frozen solid?

- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

Ok just found the website:

strangely enough called ....http://www.frozensolid.co.uk/ :roll:

After reading the text on the home page it's interesting to see that the process is particularly good with aluminium. I am wondering if it would usefull to be a whole engine into the process. If this were done after running in then presumably it would significantly reduce wear in the bores? I wonder if there would be an issue though with the two metals ie ally block and steel liners going into the process together with different contraction rates etc :? .

What do think Mike?

EDIT: taken from the frozen solid website...

The Benefits

-Creates a denser molecular structure that results in a larger contact surface area that reduces friction, heat and wear
-Increases tensile strength, toughness, and durability
-Reduction in catastrophic component failure
-Reduces eccentric wear in cylinder bores resulting in maintaining a high level of compression and less blow by gasses, even under the most demanding racing conditions
-Increased fatigue and wear resistance
-Treats the entire mass, not just the surface
-One-time permanent treatment that works on new or used parts
-Does not cause dimensional changes, and is compatible with other treatments

This all sounds amazing. I am seriously wondering about a completely cryo hardened 998 project :twisted:

aldrin

Post by aldrin »

Prometheus wrote:Ok just found the website:

strangely enough called ....http://www.frozensolid.co.uk/ :roll:

After reading the text on the home page it's interesting to see that the process is particularly good with aluminium. I am wondering if it would usefull to be a whole engine into the process. If this were done after running in then presumably it would significantly reduce wear in the bores? I wonder if there would be an issue though with the two metals ie ally block and steel liners going into the process together with different contraction rates etc :? .

What do think Mike?

EDIT: taken from the frozen solid website...

The Benefits

-Creates a denser molecular structure that results in a larger contact surface area that reduces friction, heat and wear
-Increases tensile strength, toughness, and durability
-Reduction in catastrophic component failure
-Reduces eccentric wear in cylinder bores resulting in maintaining a high level of compression and less blow by gasses, even under the most demanding racing conditions
-Increased fatigue and wear resistance
-Treats the entire mass, not just the surface
-One-time permanent treatment that works on new or used parts
-Does not cause dimensional changes, and is compatible with other treatments

This all sounds amazing. I am seriously wondering about a completely cryo hardened 998 project :twisted:

Seen alot of stuff like this in Race Car Engineering, a trade mag my mate gets,

Imps don't wear bores that much as far as I know they tend to wear the ring grooves in the pistons,

treating pistons could well be a good move as thats what lets go first on the imp , and may not be that costly.

metalergiacally sound process, can't remember the details , all to do with grain gowth.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

aldrin wrote:Seen alot of stuff like this in Race Car Engineering, a trade mag my mate gets,

Imps don't wear bores that much as far as I know they tend to wear the ring grooves in the pistons,

treating pistons could well be a good move as thats what lets go first on the imp , and may not be that costly.

metalergiacally sound process, can't remember the details , all to do with grain gowth.
Agreed that out of the two it would certainly be more cost effective to treat the pistons but surely the bores do wear as well and therefore doing both must be the 1st choice. Would be better I suppose if you had the liners treated before pressing into a block.

I am thinking that a head might benefit greatly from this treatment given the tendency toward cracking between 2 & 3 or 3 & 4, depending on who you talk to.

Then there's the crank and con rods. I think that it might be getting a little expensive by this point though, especially for anything other than a race engine ......

ChrisBenoy
Club Member: No
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy »

I think the question of if it is any use on cranks and rods would be down to if it strengthens it more than the tuftriding/shot peening process that these parts already get for race use. Also if it does then at what cost?
imporium
Car Model: Hillman Husky Singer Chamois Commer Imp Van

Post by imporium »

impster wrote:Does anyone know if NEW or strengthened ones are available as I have snapped one pulling away?

Many thanks
Hi, I have some new ones here if needed ? unless I have just sent you some ? :wink: .................Malcolm
" Keeping the Imp Alive & Kicking & Imp Club Parts support with discounted Parts Supply"
http://www.malcolmanderson.co.uk