Spaceframe Imps

colin rooney
Club Member: Yes

Re: Spaceframe Imps

Post by colin rooney »

They were in the club magazine did you not see them last month now sold to a chap in germany

col
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown »

They were in the club magazine did you not see them last month
Yet another good reason for all those non-members to join the Imp Club - What an opportunity to miss!
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
speeddemon
Club Member: No
Car Model: None

Post by speeddemon »

The moulds were £3k , I believe a Mr Toon had them for sale, i think the club was offered them first but they didnt want to buy. ( But i may be wrong ) This maybe due to the fact that demand is small. I wanted them but it would have been stupid to purchase something that was,nt going to be used and i havnt got that type of money to invest , give a cheap good product then have people cock on the deal.

Colin, we had many people interested but like anything else when you tell them price, the idea goes on the back burner, dreams i supose, its a great idea and people like the idea of spacefrmaes but when it comes to partying with the hard earned tango denero, thats when it all goes flat.

Im concentrating on preping one chassis at the moment and will take it from there.

Good luck all.
maguire imp
Car Model: maguire spaceframed imp

Post by maguire imp »

Thers alot of judges in this forum,to be honest i couldnt care what anyone thinks of the prices or posting i do,ifs yous dont want me on the tread then let it be that my name be removed
There isnt many people that have cars or parts such as mine,so maybe a little manners would be helpful
Then i might feel like helping more
steve g
Car Model: centaur mk1

Post by steve g »

the prices of the panels are bl***y cheap and look good, i've had a bit of experience with grp and know how much time and effort it takes to get the moulds right. good work

Post by #13 »

Shame this thread came to abit of a sour end! I was really enjoying it...how bout a group hug and move on?? :D

Post by #13 »

leeboy44 wrote:it has most definately not come to the end my old chap :)
me and 2 others have some plans up our sleeve's we will keep you posted very soon :D

lee

http://www.spaceframecars.co.uk

superb leeboy44! :D mines about a million miles off at the moment
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Well said.

Regards

mike
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Well the thread is still going just with the way things are people bitching at each other over this and that dont be supprised if the mods lock it and that would be a shame i think that if you have a problem with a supplier please take it else where, as this thread was started by big j to see what cars are still out there and what was out there over the years , i have realy enjoyed reading about other special saloons and hope that more stuff will come along soon so please dont keep having a pop at each other

Tharts my 2p worth :)

col
ChrisBenoy
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Post by ChrisBenoy »

Well it seems like people have drifted back to discussing space frames in a sensible and constructive way so I currently have no problem with this thread, just keep any arguing to private messages if you really must but I'd prefer people just being friendly. :lol:

I'm tempted to split the motorsport forum into current motorsport and historic (i.e topics about motorsport back in the day) motorsport sections.
big J
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Post by big J »

I havent been on much recently,my computer's been playing up something rotten,but we're getting there with it slowly.
Given the interest in the spaceframes,I had it in my mind to write a book about them,however first run print costs of between £9000 and £12000 minimum,for the first 1000 copies have pretty much scuppered that idea,I'm afraid.
I had made contact with several guys who had been prominent in racing spaceframes,so I'll maybe do a website or something dedicated to them so that there's some kind of record of them.
For example,Doc Knutsen was one of those who responded and he's kindly put some info and pics on here,but,like so many others I betcha there's tons of stories,anecdotes and pictures still untold.It's something I hope to begin soon enough,but losing my job has made travelling to interview folks somewhat difficult.Here in Ireland,I plan to go and meet the likes of Dan Rooney,Ned Murray,David Hall and the like,so it's still ongoing,at least in my head. :lol:
Having to move workshops (again) hasn't helped either,but hopefully this'll be the last time.

Never mind,it'll just take a wee bit longer,that's all.Hopefully everyone who has responded to this thread will be willing to contribute.
About this thread,it's just a typical internet thing,when you cant see the person responding to you,you cant tell if they're just kidding a bit or having a go,so folk get a bit wound up.No big deal,we're all big boys and I'm sure a good session with us all would have us all laughing about it.
Cheers
John
big J

Post by big J »

leeboy44 wrote:hi big j

vista do a web offer i got the top offer that gives me everything you will need its £17 a month i dont know if thats alot of money but i'm happy paying that as its so easy to work and change things on it i takes 2mins to make a new page and away you go planing the page its really good

if i can do anything please ask i will be more then happy to help any time with photos of my stuff

i will be building a jarvis spaceframe in the next few months, dont get me wrong its not going to happen over night but it will happen so i can send photos of that , it will be nice to see what every1 thinks of my work

thanks lee
Thanks Lee,that's a good offer all right.My computer problems slowed things up,but a friend is a web developer and is going to set it all up for me,so as soon as we get things sorted,it'll be full steam ahead.
It'd be great to see some pics of the Jarvis,it's a very pretty car.Be sure to photograph everything,I'll be looking forward to seeing it.

Andy,that sounds fantastic.I really hope it happens,it would be so good to see the old racers back where they belong.
Best of luck with it.
John

Post by #13 »

Would an old special saloon imp with a modern day engine be allowed in such an event??
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

#13 wrote:Would an old special saloon imp with a modern day engine be allowed in such an event??
Dont do it you know your dad is right fit the imp engine :lol:
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi all, i have taken note of the comments recently attached to this thread.

I have spoken to lee from spaceframed cars and he is at the stage where I was 6 month ago with regards to getting projects moving. I must support his view that there are many time wastes out there who will probably never build a car but like the idea of a spaceframed car. To be honest all they want to do is talk. I have no probs with that at all. I believe lee and myself work on a similer principle of starting and getting a project off the ground and offering something at a reasonable price.

I have spoken to Lee and have aired my view that this type of project to start with is difficult and if we are lucky we will get around my be 3-5 new spaceframed builds around the country

Obviously this is not going to make anyone a living.

However lee is finding out like i did 6 month ago, that there are many dreamers out there! and there are.

However there are people who could have some great input into this if they used there noggin. The draw back for me at the start as always been panels. they are not cheap, however there are some choses now, but again not cheap.

Now im not complaining, what im trying to say is if we are to get a project off the ground and get interest to generate more spaceframes to build either by an outside person, or someone bulding one them selfs wouldnt it be sensible to be show people what is available.

I can honestly say that if i was selling body panels or shells i would want to get a few out there. I wouldnt be interested in making money , just covering my costs. I dont think people see that.

The difference is with the frame and components is that you can do it in stages, build it up your self andf buy the components when you like.

With regards to a shell, there is limited availability, and the ones that are available seem to be somewhat, how shall we say MISSING IN ACTION.

lets see what will happen and by all means if anyone is looking for genuine help and advise i will be here to help.

Forums have some strange people , Just another example. I had aquired some slicks at £25 each i let the members know , then on the thread where it was listed a member turned around and said they got theres cheaper. I dont think that helps. I had aquired them for myself and maybe as help for others maybe going into motorsport as tyres are very expensive to buy new. So although i thought i was adding something usefull it then got turned into a negative.

But hey i suppose thats life. Some people do it some people talk about it.

Good luck all

Mike
knocker
Car Model: Maguire Stiletto Ginetta G15

Post by knocker »

Been to Lydden today was good to meet up with David Enderby now driving a radical SR4 at a time of 42.9 see hes not lost his speed!! still has the Karman Ghia.
Anyone after a maguire front end or rear wings let me know,as have the moulds for mine. Please note am very busy with my house and a 5 year old so wont happen overnight.
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

did you have the stiletto out rob i was going to pop down but am to busy rebuilding the car

col
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 »

Mike,
I'm sorry if my tongue in cheek comment about you tyre prices upset you perhaps I should have used a smiley. If you asked around you would find out that I'm not one of the dreamers you talk about but in fact someone who is willing to knuckle down and get on with things including fabricating components, moulding fibreglass panels and all the necessary work to enable me to have raced successfully an Imp-based car for near on 25 years both in the UK and on the Continent.

For the record I've just returned from France having competed in the Saint-Goueno Masters Hillclimb along with a very large Irish motorsport contingent. This was my very first hillclimb and I came away with not only winning my Class but also took the best performance award based on bogey times as well. As I said I don't dream I just get on and do it.

On the space frame front I obtained one in the 70's that had been deemed too heavy for circuit use and so I built it up from a bare frame and used it in the East Anglian Autocross Championship.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hi pete, I dont know you personally and have no idea of your motorsport history. I was not refering to yourself as a dreamer, however i did make reference to you about the price of the tyres. Im sure if you had invested a few quid to help out the cause you would have been annoyed with the comment.

Im a very honest and helpful person and dont like to waste peoples time and i expect the same. Ive tried to help bring this idea together and have belief that if we can get supplys of the correct equipment at the right price people can start there builds. That waits to be seen.

Good luck and im hopeful we will meet in the future.

Regards

Mike
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

leeboy44 wrote:hi guys

i have the prices on the shells there not the best but there way under £2k
tim said that the moulds he has are abit ropey but if we are looking to place an order with him then he will make new moulds to replace the old ropey 1's

pm me for the prices or call me on 07969764597

thanks

ps mike i will phone you at 10ish today (i dont think you will like a phone call at 6.30 haha )
Glad to hear you got a price so why no publish it rather than have people contact you and mess you around this way they see the price and know before they get intouch ,i have had this problem with the rawlson panels loads of people wanted them and then when you say a front is £400 they are not interested ,now to me i think thats a fair price when you check out the prices for modern cars

As for Pete i have to say he is a genuine chap and 1 of a few who will go out of his way to help other imp racers or race people i dont think he was having a pop about tyres just saying he gets them cheaper ,Pete im glad you had a good run over in france and i was told by my insiders you were there ,you cant get up to much in this world but someone knows what you at :lol: ,Pete would you be interested in doing anglesey in july with the irish historics i will be there along with Leo

col
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin »

With reference to Andy's post at the top of this page, I for one will be up for it.
Count me in Andy.
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 »

Colin,

Unfortunately I'll not be able to get to Anglesey as I'm at Zolder the following weekend. I will however have to look seriously in the invitation I had at Saint-Goueno to take the Clan over the Ireland.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

Wow - thanks for posting. 8)
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
KiwiHusky
Car Model: '68 Husky, '73 Ginetta G15

Post by KiwiHusky »

[quote="big J"]Found some more pics on photobucket

Brian Cutting at Snetterton KiwiHusky,did you take this?

Yes I did, how did you know? I have been a bit slack lately, & have not really kept up with the forum so only just saw your post.
While I think of it, it was Rob Mason's fish-eye lens that I took the photo with.

Cheers, Simon.
big J

Post by big J »

Recognised the same picture style from your other photos.
It's a great shot. :)
KiwiHusky
Car Model: '68 Husky, '73 Ginetta G15

Post by KiwiHusky »

big J wrote:Recognised the same picture style from your other photos.
It's a great shot. :)
Cheers, Thanks for the compliment :)
Simon.
steve g

Post by steve g »

watch this it'll get the space frame impers going, good old days
big J

Post by big J »

colin rooney wrote:Watch this to get the blood pumping
The telly nowadays,not a patch on when I was a nipper,all bl***y repeats :wink: :lol:
Bring back Andy Pandy and The Herbs.Proper programmes they were,not like........ :D

Good find Steve and worth posting again for the folks that might have missed Cols post before.
steve g

Post by steve g »

there's too many pretty pictures on this thread to read all the words.... :roll: sorry col :oops:
rally clan

Post by rally clan »

One of the best companies in the world for restoring and even making Group B rally cars, they have in their workshop the following.

Type the page number into the bottom right hand corner and click on the arrow to the right.
Page 163.

http://www.mat.fi/n_index.php?nav=galle ... oject&g=13
johnh875
Car Model: 64 Grp N race car, 66 Mk2, 68 Super

Post by johnh875 »

Thanks for posting the video Steve, I've not seen the racing before so very interesting.
Imping (on & off) for 20+ years
jdm
Car Model: Maguire Stiletto

Post by jdm »

big J wrote:Les Campbell just sent me some more pics,and exotic ones too!
This is a March F3 with variously a Vaux 16v or BDA/BDG? coupled to a Hewland box, then owned by Kevin Day.
Good man Les,bang on. :D

would anyone have any information or recollection of this car? I am currently installing a new engine/box combo for its current owner and would like to find out more of its history/origins. the origonal post suggests the car is March based but its got 6stud rear hubs and the rear uprights/driveshafts resemble lotus stuff i have seen in pictures on 10tenths forum the car is monocoque based ,the righthand tub having been moved out about 6 inches, allowing the driver to sit to the right of centreline (just). any info/views welcomed
thanks . john donnelly
big J

Post by big J »

That's interesting,John.I would have assumed from the pics that it was a spaceframe with a stressed ally skin,but the main tub is a monocoque with a semi spaceframe bolted on.
Could it possibly be a March tub with Lotus corners added,perhaps to suit the owners preference/budget?
Is there a chassis number or manufacturers i.d. anywhere?

Oh,and I know I'm a pest,but some pics of the rebuild would be peaches and creamy. :lol:
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Who owns the car now

col
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Hey all, seems this thread is till aloud, great, Im after some information, with regards to the Mquire imp chassis. Does anyone know the race weight or there abouts.

Also when running perspex, can 2-3 mm be used on the side, door and and rear window sections? let me know please thanks mike
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Not certain for your regulations but the MSA blue book says 4mm for my steel-bodied car for sprints and hillclimbs. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
big J

Post by big J »

Yep,afaik,it's 4mm Mike.Sorry,dont know about the weights but I wouldnt think 500kg would be wildly out??
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

I think its just the windscreen that has to be 4mm but not perspex lexan is good as its polycarbonate ,i think your ok with 2mm in the sides as mine is 2mm lexan and no one has ever said anything about it ,perspex is crap as it shatters as lexan wont hope this helps mike

col
big J

Post by big J »

Taken from the blue book-
(h) Except for racing cars, be fitted with a
windscreen. if plastic windscreen, sidescreens or
rear windows are fitted the thickness must not be
less than 4mm.

Col Rooney,yer a naughty boy. :lol:
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin »

Think you will find the race weight of Maguire's between 400-440kg depending on spec.
Keith Scott or Harry will be able to tell you closer.
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
knocker

Post by knocker »

430kg with a full tank.
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

As an aside, a BS Nymph weighs in at 420kg dry.
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
belgimper_jac
Car Model: DINKY 138 SCALE 1/1

Post by belgimper_jac »

Hi,

Space frame MAGUIRE at MARCHIN,BELGIUM (historic hill climb,Sat.10 july 2010.)

Well-know Belgian Impdriver Heinz Pfeiffer...very fast.

Hot summer day: 35°C.After the race,...to hot inside .
Anyone knows how many Maguires (like this) are still alive in U.K.?

Cheers,Jac.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

That's stunning! :o Got any more photos? Could you email me some, please?

I cannot answer your question, though. Sorry. :(

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
belgimper_jac
Car Model: DINKY 138 SCALE 1/1

Post by belgimper_jac »

Thank you for the answer Paul,

The Blue Maguire: some photos from Belgian events :wink:
2009 Tros-Marets Historic hill-Climb

2010 Ciney Retromoteur

2010 Marchin Hill-Climb

Cheers,Jac.
speeddemon

Post by speeddemon »

Thats a very nice car and well prepped. One of the best surviving mquires around. most of the ones left seem to be either bashed bent or scrap.

Thats a small sump. :)
knocker

Post by knocker »

knocker wrote:
big J wrote:Robert,would you ever had a chance to compare the prototype Davrian saloon to a later car?Just curious if the design changed,there seems to have been a considerable time between this and the Homewood/Hall car being commisioned.
Who's Heinz?
Heinz is a chap from Belgium met him a National day at Paddock Wood had a blue race G15 a Rawlson and a Davrian imp looks like the car on page 11 number 125 also showed be a picture he had of a Maguire stiletto he had just bought to restore.
Robert Knox
3 Imps
3 Ginetta's
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Jac,

Thank you! Fantastic pictures! :D You just made my day!

What is the alloy tank that is attached to the engine? A breather tank?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Paul I was gonna ask the same Q!

Looks like a catch tank directly attached to the cam cover...would cut out a lot of unnecessary pipe work.

Smart thinking!
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

No...looked again and I can see the normal filler neck is present with a large diameter black pipe attached.....catch tank close by probably attached to the engine mounting frame above?

Talking about large v small sumps. My thinking is there is no justification for fitting a large sump to a race car.

reasoning to fit or not fit a large sump IMHO are:
  • * high oil consumption on long events - not likely on a properly built engine in good condition - might be an advantage for a long distance (marathon) rally car

* poor oil return to the sump at high revs needing a larger reserve - not needed --you just design a better sump baffle/windage plate with better oil return. Again, efficient oil return to the sump is a key factor in minimising oil frothing too (although admitedly a large sump would help reduce the effect of frothing)

* better oil cooling reserve - faulty logic, as at sustained high revs in a racing machine the hottest oil is sump oil superheated by pistons and cylinders etc. Best to design a more efficient oil cooling system - like an oil water heat exchanger.

* prevents oil surge/stavation at pick-up - again faulty logic, as the smaller sump stops a lot of oil surge under braking and you can stop lateral surge by a good baffle design in a small sump.
And what racer would chose to carry all that unnecessary excess weight of oil and sump metal work?
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton