Spaceframe Imps

big J
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Re: Spaceframe Imps

Post by big J »

Clive Brown wrote:
SimonBenoy wrote:Mine was 360kg in sprint/hillclimb spec - this included plastic windscreen. It would have been quite a bit more if upgraded to race spec. No extinguisher, no charging system, only 1 operational door etc.

Cheers - Simon
But that's virtually seven hundredweight dead. Enderby's first Maguire car was a saloon built from T45 tube; it flexed like b***ery because the tube was too thin, and the best thing that ever happened to it was when it got written off at Thruxton- an accident attributed to chassis flex! That car weighed eight hundredweight and four pounds.

Its replacement, a coupe, was built from the usual T25, and went eight hundredweight 40lbs. Yes, it had a fire extinguisher, probably a four gallon fuel tank, and a water system that would maintain a constant temperature for a race distance- but 64kg heavier than your car? You may be right- I may be crazy- but this sounds odd to me!
Clive,I believe thats the Rawlson on page 5 or 6 or something I photographed now owned by Alan Kessie.
maguire imp
Club Member: No
Car Model: maguire spaceframed imp

Post by maguire imp »

The car was originally a f4 car single seater,it isnt unlike a car in previous post in this forum page 10 ish i think,mc if you look at your rear panels you will find the answer to your question,i have a log boo somewere for the car,when purchased it was running but i was hit hard as i was importing it to the uk again,it had a set of revolution wheel split rims when i got it,it also had ford capri type wheels to take it to have more ground clearance,it had a 2.1cc swindon racing pinto engine modified head,on twin 45's,24 volt starting,the engine is still used in ireland in a track/rallycross car it puduced 185 bhp approx,it was in the channel isles for many years,also hewland type transaxle which should be servicable,how much did you pay for the car,if you dont want to say that is ok
The tank is in the chassis at lhs
Keith scott
Clive Brown
Car Model: Mini, tricycle or shanks pony

Post by Clive Brown »

big J wrote:
Clive Brown wrote:
SimonBenoy wrote:Mine was 360kg in sprint/hillclimb spec - this included plastic windscreen. It would have been quite a bit more if upgraded to race spec. No extinguisher, no charging system, only 1 operational door etc.

Cheers - Simon
But that's virtually seven hundredweight dead. Enderby's first Maguire car was a saloon built from T45 tube; it flexed like b***ery because the tube was too thin, and the best thing that ever happened to it was when it got written off at Thruxton- an accident attributed to chassis flex! That car weighed eight hundredweight and four pounds.

Its replacement, a coupe, was built from the usual T25, and went eight hundredweight 40lbs. Yes, it had a fire extinguisher, probably a four gallon fuel tank, and a water system that would maintain a constant temperature for a race distance- but 64kg heavier than your car? You may be right- I may be crazy- but this sounds odd to me!
Clive,I believe thats the Rawlson on page 5 or 6 or something I photographed now owned by Alan Kessie.
I must be missing the point here.... how does a Rawlson come into this! I'll look for the pictures anyway....
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

big J wrote:My thanks to Alan and all the lads at ASK Racing,they couldnt have been nicer.

Alan is keen to learn of any history of the car.I know it was owned and driven by a few lads on here,so if anyone has any history,anecdotes,anything at all,I'd be only too happy to pass any details on.
If that is a Rawlson car it is most likely to be the ex-Fred Hendy, ex-Peter Halls car.
Turboimp
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Turbocharged in 1983 + Clan

Post by Turboimp »

some video of these cars and other cars in action , from the Castle Combe Special GT Championship of the early 1990's.
which i haven't seen before although i was there in the flesh ! ..For me , apart from the Bevan Imp era probably the best Imp racing heyday , racing on the old circuit , second fastest in the country to Thruxton . Brian cutting , Phil Lomas , George Douglas , Earling Jensen etc amongst some very powerful 400 - 500 bhp cars . Brian cutting ( and later his sold imp ) won the overall Special GT Championship about 4 times in the early 1990's .
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

To me, the Bevan Imp era was not that great from a racing point-of-view, simply because George's car was that much better than anything up against it, and Bill McGovern was a better driver than any of his competitors. George's cars weren't magic, but they were well-built and meticulously prepared, and you can only race what you're up against.

I think the best era was the early to mid eighties, with Cutting, Mannion, and the late Barry Reece in good Maguires, Brian Prebble in his self-built spaceframe, Ginger's Kitten and Enderby's Karmann Ghia, and later on Rob Mason, who I rate as the best driver of them all, in Ernie Wood's car. Add Bill McGovern's occasional forays in a Maguire, and Tony Bridge's car, and I can't think of a better time.
Bevan IMP
Car Model: Bevan IMP Group 2

Post by Bevan IMP »

Hi Clive,

Did you notice that Rob Mason is a member of the forum. If you keep singing his praises he might even post something...!!

He e-mailed me to say hello.

The magic was never in the cars, it was in the old sheds at the bottom of the garden !!!

Jonathan
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

Yo Johnathan! Shed power!

By the way, you should have your stickies upon the pattern exhaust by now....
Bevan IMP
Car Model: Bevan IMP Group 2

Post by Bevan IMP »

Many thanks for the exhaust,

Why is the tail pipe bending around, The orignal Bevan Imp would have been a straight pipe ?

Jonathan
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

Ignore the tailpipe; you're meant to copy it up to the two-into-one collector only! From then on, it's a straight pipe, unless you raise the engine and have to put an offset into the tailpipe to clear the rear body crossmember.

Regards

Clive
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Well it looks like we now have Rob Mason and Fred Hendy as members so don't be shy boys please feel free to come in with your tales of when you raced and any pictures you may have

col
big J

Post by big J »

Oh yes.
We've got some good pictures,we need the stories.

And more pictures. :lol:
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

The two photographers who provided the best coverage of Club/National motorsport at the time were Jeff Bloxham (with whom I went to school) and John Gaisford. I believe that the portfolios of both might well have been sold on. Either would be a treasure trove of the golden era of Imp racing.

I'm now in touch with both Rob Mason and Fred Hendy, and hope that both of them will be able to fill in some of the gaps in my memory.

By the way, one of the best exponents of the 850cc Imp was Roger Gill, who came from Orpington (George Bevan territory!) but was a Hartwell customer. His car is pictured, but not accredited, on a picture taken at Thruxton that is to be found elsewhere on this thread.
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

big J wrote:Found some pics on ten/tenths forum :)
****post edited to include comment from Kevan McLurg and myself
Thruxton,pale green Maguire Stiletto is Barry Reece,later to suffer from chronic injury from which he would never properly recover,passed away shortly after.(I guess that the vids I posted before were some kind of memorial event.)****
Pale yellow car in Thruxton shots is Roger Gill's!
big J

Post by big J »

Thanks Clive,I'll go back and insert his name.
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

John Dewing was I believe from the Maidstone area of Kent, and had some connections with a company called MAK Engineering, whose logos were carried on some of his cars. His car his the red #85 that gets stuck on a bank at Lydden in heat 2 of the Barry Reece Trophy video.
doc knutsen
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Bevan replica

Post by doc knutsen »

Some pics from my years of racing the ex-Enderby Maguire Chamois coupe were finally scanned yesterday, here's a sample( if my cut-and-paste technique works out, that is)
:Image
It is David's car, nicknamed Black Beauty, at Thruxton in 1981. David is soothing his pre-scrutineering nerves by talking to Brian Cutting.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

Ok, that seems to work, so here are some more:Image
This is Maguire Stilletto MS2, built by my Swedish friend Mats Warg, and featuring a dry-sump engine built by Jim Knifton of Loughborough. Note the megaphone tailpipe...and no silencers in those days. It sounded absolutely wonderful!
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

Pat Mannion's Revolution Wheels Maguire Stilletto
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

Here is a pic of my my car, the ex-Enderby Chamois Coupe, after a certain amount of development. The radiator seemed to weight a ton, and was replaced by a March F3 rad on a new subframe. Also, I mounted a rear aerofoil from an FF2000 which worked well.Image
The car looked good in bright colours, I think. My trad signal yellow sets the tiny racer off really well, non?
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

Just to emphasize the size of the Maguire coupes:Image
My apologies for the RH part of the images being cut off, dunno why this occurs.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

Seen at a rainy Kinnekulle in Sweden, featuring David Enderby's "hi downforce" engine cover. The car proved quicker in a straight line, and no less well balanced in the corners, with the single-seater rear aerofoil I fitted later.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

The car in its initial guise, having had a respray in BRG with the Norwegian national colours on its nose. The original Enderby wings and nose section still in place.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

From the Hartwell workshop in late 1979, Ray Payne to the right.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

My car with Mats' Maguire Stilletto to the right. Mats never did get to give the car a coat of paint, its livery being courtesy of whatever gel coat was available at the time!
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Nice 1 Doc get the thread running again i like the picture of pat mannion would you mind if i copy and give it to him next time i see him

col
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

Be my guest, the pics are all by myself so no nasty lawyers banging on the doors of copyright-evaders :D
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

This is the Maguire space frame from Enderby's first car, named "E**ing Black Pig", which he crashed at Thruxton, it is thought due to the frame flexing and causing unpredictable handling. I bought it from David and made a jig for it and found it to be a bit lopsided, with measurements not being repeatable from left to right. It was put right and reinforced, then sold on to a gent named Oyvind Larsen along with my ex-Borgudd, ex-Goodwin steel shell car. However, the car was never assembled, and Larsen scrapped the tubular frame some time in the early Nineties. The remains of the original car, which ran in the British Touring Car Championship in 1971-73, were re-purchased by myself in 2004 and re-shelled, emerging as my present Hartwell lookalike car.
I even have the 998 engine that Ray Payne built for me in the late Seventies as a spare these days, along with another Payne-built 998 from the mid-Eighties. But my Reg Patten motors are so reliable and powerful that neither of the spares have had to be pressed onto service...yet, anyway.
maguire imp

Post by maguire imp »

HI

Was it a round tubed floor in the maguire saloon,ex dr david enerby also do you know what chassis number it was to complete my research thankyou again

Keith scott
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

More fantastic photos! This thread is great! 8)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
big J

Post by big J »

Hiya Doc,great to see your photos up here!
Sorry I havent been in touch lately,my computer had a fit.
I'll email you soon and get things going again.

All the best

John
HARRY
Car Model: davrian mk 8 / hillman imp

Post by HARRY »

Seeing everyone's comments about special saloons I just thought I'd put these photos on of Ian Forrest and myself (Harry Simpson) at Knockhill, 1st photo Knockhill paddock 1988, 2 maguire imps together. Ian's car is the ex-Tony Bridge car and my car is the ex-David Enderby car. Both cars are absolutely identical even down to the engines which are full race chessmans and the Jack Knight box and exactly the same gear ratios . Ian always asked me what ratios I was going to put in for certain circuits and I would tell him, he'd go and put them in and he'd wonder why he was running out of revs. This actually happened in 1983 in Pheonix park when we were running Mk8 Davrians.

2nd photo - is Tony Bridge , Ingliston, 1985-1986 . Tony in front coming round arena and Ian chasing him very hard with a third of his left hand splitter hanging off.

3rd photo - me, Harry Simpson, sprint meeting Knockhill coming out of the harepin.

http://s948.photobucket.com/albums/ad330/HARRYSIMMO/
speeddemon
Car Model: None

any spaeframes out racing yet?

Post by speeddemon »

Hi all, been keeping an eye on the thread, thought i would add some more info. Ive just been doing bits on my spaceframe and its nearly complete now, just added some new GAz shocks all around, so just got to purchase a seat and we arnt far of, then its the ARDs test and i will be hopefully in the northern based saloon series, mostly raced at Oulton park

Also we are just in the process of fabricating some roll cages, these are not for circuit racing, but will be useable for road use trackdays possibly some sprints and hillclimbs or just as a cosmetic upgrade. They will consists of front and rear loop, door bars, down bars etc The cost will be aound £295 which will include powder coating. So i dont think they are bad on price.

Later this year we are going to do a full spaceframe chassis to except both imp and bike engine set up as well as fabricated front and rear arms. These will meet MSA regs but a bit more on that later.

Was also wondering whos been out racing and whos ready for there first race.???????
Megapin
Car Model: Suzuki SC100 , Modsports Lotus Elan, Jarvis Stilet

Post by Megapin »

Hi,
I will be contesting the NSSCC championship in the SC100 spaceframed car this year. First race at Croft in two weeks.
Just waiting for the stiletto panels from Keith to complete my new spaceframe and hope to have that out mid-season. Both cars Hyabusa engined.
I may also be doing some of the North West rounds at Oulton so may see you there.
Davy.
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
Modsports Spaceframed Stiletto
big J

Post by big J »

Harry,many thanks for putting the photos up,I'm afraid the ones you sent me vanished into the computer with some of Les Campbells' and I havent been able to resurrect them yet,still having trouble with it.

Mike,fair play to you,hope it all goes well,both cages and racing.Good luck.

John.
doc knutsen

Post by doc knutsen »

maguire imp wrote:HI

Was it a round tubed floor in the maguire saloon,ex dr david enerby also do you know what chassis number it was to complete my research thankyou again

Keith scott
Sorry, I cannot recall with certainty whether it had round tubes supporting the floor, although the DE2 chassis definitely had rectangular tubes. David's first chassis was DE1.
At one time, despairing of the pace of the 1-litre car (beat 2 out of 3 of the 935 Porsches in the rain at one particularly memorable race) the Swedish authorities wanted to drill a hole in the roll cage to measure the thickness of the steel in the tubing. Now, drilling holes in structural chassis members really isn't too clever, so John Maguire wrote me a letter confirming that the roll cage material confirmed to the RAC MSA standards of the time. They then they made me fit 50kgs of ballast to the car, duly accomplished by bolting on a 5mm sheet of steel under the cockpit section. Not a sump guard, more of a driver guard! But they certainly tried their best to make life difficult for anyone not running with Volvo engines...
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

With regard to the question of wings and spoilers, British Special Saloon regulations did not allow the use of aerofoil rear wings in the three smaller-engined classes (up to 850cc, up to 1000cc, and up to 1300 cc). As Doc Knutsen hints at, David Enderby's Chamois Coupe had two different aerodynamic configurations, both high and low downforce with a different rear spoiler and different front splitter. In addition, the splitters were adjustable, and the rear spoilers had a trim tab adjustable for height. If you look closely at the picture of the car in the queue for scrutineering at Thruxton, you'll see that it has the small 'wing' on- compare and contrast with later pictures of the car in Doc Knutsen's ownership. Essentially, the smaller spoiler (lower drag/downforce) was used at Silverstone, Snetterton, and Thruxton- the higher speed circuits.
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

Naughty Frederick.... you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourself for nerfing that nice Dr. Enderby all those years ago!

I should explain that Fred's actions were actually entirely permissible, because at that time, Enderby was racing a M***! Now, any front-engined front-drive car cornering at racing speeds is very lightly laden on its inside rear wheel, so it takes but the slightest of touches to 'persuade' a Mini driver to move aside to allow the Imp to speed on its way- but please don't try this at home, children.
maguire imp

Post by maguire imp »

lol clive
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

This is for bigJohn i bet you will like this its a floor and bulkhead that im cutting up to save just incase i bend my old car hard
Image :D
big J

Post by big J »

Thanks Col! :D
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

im down to this with the floor so will store it like this and if i do build another car i will then remove the rest of the rear seat pan and front scuttle and have a complete fibreglass top on the car
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Try speeddeon on here he said he is making new spaceframes ,as for maguire body panels ,i think keith csott may have moulds ,i can get hold of rawlson front ends and rear wings and soon my glass man is going to do a roof
skamanfrank
Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Post by skamanfrank »

I've spent this year doing a dissertation on the spaceframe chassis of an MCR sports2000 championship car...

The torsional stiffness has gone up by about 25% whilst the mass has been reduced by 20kg (80to 60kg)... think I might have to start work on an imp spaceframe seeing as I've not got any plans for next year yet haha!!
Cheers
Frank
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Go for it frank
Megapin

Post by Megapin »

Lee,
These are two different cars.
The top 4 are a car I had and sold on but the bottom one belongs to Richard Carr who is on this site as RCarr
and I think it's still for sale.
cheers,
DAvy
Modsports Suzuki SC100,
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

Rawlson panels now ready rear wings £300 a pair and complete front £400 contact Marcus on 07780967692 or me on 07515533742 or PM me via club site

col
speeddemon
Car Model: None

Post by speeddemon »

We await keith to make some panels, think you gonna be waiting a while, they will cost you £1500 delivered i believe , thats if he ever gets round to make any.

I think he keeps the moulds locked up with the golden fleece and Holy Grail hahahahahahhh collecting dust.

We have had much interest in producing some spaceframes but i feel that the top line for a complete set of panels should be around £1000 max, this is whats holding us back. we arnt gonna make any frames until someone comes up with an affordable complete body mould that will keep the job affordable
colin rooney

Post by colin rooney »

speeddemon wrote:
We have had much interest in producing some spaceframes but i feel that the top line for a complete set of panels should be around £1000 max, this is whats holding us back. we arnt gonna make any frames until someone comes up with an affordable complete body mould that will keep the job affordable
So if all thats holding you up is panels why didnt you buy the moulds that came up for sale a month ago or have some made or better still contact the chap who bought said moulds and see if he will sell you panels or build rawlson imps with full spaceframe chassis

col
Megapin

Post by Megapin »

I didn't see the maguire panel moulds for sale.
Does anyone know who bought them ? or are they still for sale. ?
Modsports Suzuki SC100,