Highway Imp Slot car

impstress2003
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Various Hillman Imps

Highway Imp Slot car

Post by impstress2003 »

My partner bought me a 1:32 Imp slot car kit for Christmas, a highway 32 one. It's really excellent, the detail is impressive for a kit to my eyes, but I've never built a resin slot car before and have a few questions if anyone can help....

I think someone told me once that resin is a bit dodgy if you are sanding it or drilling it because of dust/fibres, is this true? I'd like to open up the back arches a little because they rub the wheels a little, and I'd like to take the moulding marks off the sills. Also, I'd like to remove the front MK1 badge. Any tips on best practise/safest method?

The roof of the kit is a little sagged, I think this is quite common on resin kits, it's not a problem and doesn't detract from the appearance too much, but it does make fitting the front screen a little tricky. Is this something I can correct? If I heat the kit up in hot water for example would I be able to straighten this out?

There are no assembly instructions with the kit, would it be normal to have to cut down the glass moulding to fit the interior properly? I think so because I can't see a way to fit it otherwise.

Finally, would the glass normally be glued into the shell, and the interior glued in too? (after painting, etc).

Any tips gratefully received.

S.
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 76 Datsun 260Z

Re: Highway Imp Slot car

Post by bazzateer »

Si,

Pretty sure that's the same kit I built my copy of LNK from. Use a dremel or something similar on a slow setting for the work you describe. You can use a craft knife but i find the dremel more accurate and less prone to slipping. Don't use superglue anywhere near the windows as the 'glass' will 'mist' over and reveal fingerprints etc. I use Holts Clear Glue sparingly for this as it does not cause the misting.

I'm not aware of any issues with the dust, just be sensible and if you prefer wear a dust mask. I've not encountered issues with sagging of the roof so cannot recommend a 'fix' for you. Assembly should be self evident as the kit does not contain many parts.

Good luck!
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
sunbeammadd
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport

Post by sunbeammadd »

I've always been a bit wary of dust from the resin shells too, so I've tended to use a dust mask.

The window insert does normally need trimming to fit.

I haven't glued the window insert or interior in on any of mine - I figure I might want to take them apart again one day. On the two Imps I've built to date, the MRRC chassis they used keeps the interior and windows in place without gluing. I expect you've probably got the new version though with the PCS chassis. On my Sunbeam Lotus with the PCS chassis I used wall plugs to make spacers which I glued to the bottom of the interior insert. This way the chassis holds the interior and the windows in place. Scalextric used to do something similar back in the day by having "legs" moulded onto the bottom of their interior pieces.
Russ Maddock

'69 Sunbeam Imp 930 Sport
'63 Sunbeam Alpine
'12 Polo GTI
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

Another option if you want to 'glue' the glass in is to use a tiny spot of silicon. It'll hold it but you should be able to remove it if necessary.

Get building and let's see some pics. Here's LNK, built for Imp08.

ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

^^ Awesome! :-D

IM 8-)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Meltdown
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by Meltdown »

Looks like LNK could use some 'works' arches, Baz!
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

Meltdown wrote:Looks like LNK could use some 'works' arches, Baz!
Only finished the basic build just before Imp08. It's first run was at Maldon and it only just made it round the track. Lots of fettling needed. I need to locate all my old modelling/slotting stuff and dig out a narrower pair of axles too. All things I'll get around to once my garage is eventually built.
ImpJimbo
Car Model: BS Nymph and Singer Chamois Coupe.

Post by ImpJimbo »

Baz, is your garage 1/32 scale?
James Henderson.
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

ImpJimbo wrote:Baz, is your garage 1/32 scale?
Unfortunately not Jim :lol: If it was I could afford to do it now. As it stands my 1/1 scale garage is likely to be built very slowly in stages as and when I can do the overtime. If I'm lucky my current budget may allow me to put the base in plus maybe one wall :x
impstress2003

Post by impstress2003 »

I had the same problem with the back wheels sticking out, but on my car one stuck out further than the other... I thought I didn't have the wheel on properly, so pressed a little harder, and broke the wheel! Three spokes broken right through and the hub cracked along its length. My own fault - I was pressing too hard. Anyway the model shop are being good about it and sourcing a new wheel/wheelset for me. I asked if they had Revolutions or preferably slot-mags....

I don't seem to be able to move the gear on the rear axle to centre it so I will have to either file some off one end, or fit the wheels without pressing them fully home, meaning they will stick out further. If they stick out too far then I might look at "group 2s", I think these will look more scalextric than Rawlsons...

I was going to spray the car with automotive paint so I can spray it to match VTB, will that be ok or will it be so thick it destroys the detail in the moulding? I was going to prime it too - is that necessary?

Managed to get the roof to look straight by warming it a little and applying lots of pressure with my thumbs. Looks a treat now.

Cheers
S.
impstress2003

Post by impstress2003 »

Yes, I have the PCS chassis and the body is all one piece with moulded in headlights/bumpers. The chassis has a slightly adjustable length, but I think that might only be there to allow for a bit of tolerance in the fit of the resin body. The wheels are a very close fit in the arches.

Should I expect the front wheels to run on the track, or will they float like Scalextric minis, etc? If they will float I can use my slightly wobbly wheel on the front, but I still think it will be obvious that it is broken.

Cheers
S
sunbeammadd
Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport

Post by sunbeammadd »

The gear on the rear axle will move, but you really need a suitable press to do it without bending the axle. I've got an MB Slot one like the one on the left below:

Before I bought the press I used to do it very gingerly with my vice.
Russ Maddock

'69 Sunbeam Imp 930 Sport
'63 Sunbeam Alpine
'12 Polo GTI