Topic dedicated to HSA Speed Championship Class N

chris
Club Member: No
Car Model: g15 turbo

Post by chris »

Hi all just in the middle of preparing my car with a 930cc t2 turbo engine and was wondering what class it would be placed in a hillclimb event?

Also im just doing the piping for the front rad and I was wondering if it would be acceptable (regulations) to use half silicon hoses and half copper pipes? and if a return fule pipe line can go in the car not outside?

Thank you

Chris
Wanted..... FREE STILETTO...... PM Me...........worth a try haha :)
My G15 page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/398397523543681/
pimpdriver
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Post by pimpdriver »

Chris
Unfortunately you can't be in class N (roadgoing imps) in the HSA championship as your engine will be classed as too big. The MSA have an equivalency factor of 1.4 for turbo's so your car will be classed as having a capacity of 1302cc (altho' i tink they are really 928cc so 1299cc). The cc limit in class N is 1050cc so that's out. Class P will take you tho' as there is no capacity limit, as long as its a imp engine, but you will be up against single seaters & clans & turboed Davrians etc (plus a little yellow Imp :-)).
Also the Classic classes will probably take you and the modified Production cars up to 1400cc will take you in gladly. There is always a class to take you somewhere, just be careful with your tyres for roadgoing classes.

Eric
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming
Car Model: Imps and Clans

nearly ready for Wiscombe

Post by Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming »

awaiting my 2005 blue book, is the timimg splitter still the same dimensions 254 x 54 ?

think I've done the rest

afff extinguisher
twin throttlesprings
pump off on ignition
ign on / off marked
seat bolted in with 8mm bolts
harness fitted
yellow earth lead
coke bottle for catch tank
front bulkhead sealed

license, club card, mot, dvla log book,championship card, crash helmet and overalls

anyone know anything I've missed for the HSA Aldon championship
Keith
Dorset ACO
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver »

Keith.
Sounds pretty good.

Just a couple of things just in case the scrutineer is having a bad day :-)

Make sure the throttle springs, if they are twin webers, operate on the spindles, not just the linkages. The standard weber type throttle linkage has the return springs operating on the linkage itself, & a pushrod operates the sprindles. The argument is that if this pushrod breaks there is nothing shutting the throttles. The extra springs should be fitted to the outside ends of the spindles. The sctritineers love to see springs that actuate direct on the spindles. If you are using dellortos then you don't have to bother as you can see the standard returns springs (which are hidden on the webers so you don't know if they are ok. On stombergs or even a slowlex :shock: again make sure the throttle return springs operate onto the spindles, not the linkage & is quite visable.

If you have a standard seat (passenger or drivers) make sure it can't tip forward. make a clamp to hold it in the down position.

Your hand held fire extinguiser, make sure its got a quick release clamp around it holding it into its bracket. The last thing you want in an accident is a 2 kg lump of metal flying around the car :( .

If you have a roll cage fitted fit some protective padding to anywhere where you head could hit, use the proper stuff , not pipe lagging.

I have over the years fallen foul of all these things, at seperate times, but never been stopped from competing, just a "sort it out for next meeting".

At wiscombe, tell the sctutineer it's your first event, he'll treat you gently & suggest anything that will help.

See you in a fortnight

Eric
Gerry Richards
Car Model: Davrian mk4

Post by Gerry Richards »

Done two rounds now - Loton Easter Monday and MIRA on Saturday. Just me and dad out so far in class N - anyone else coming to join us in the Midlands? Regs are now out for the June Curborough if anyone fancies it.

Mixed day at MIRA - won the class winners run off but Tom had a big shunt in the Pimp. Fortunately he seemed OK on the day -any news on car and driver Eric?

Good luck at Wiscombe Keith - everything ready?
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

wiscombe

just awaiting finals, and car going across to mr sykes tomorrow to check out carbs,

then its on the trailer and take some deep breaths all week

keith
Keith
Dorset ACO
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver »

Keith
Unfortunately i won't be at Wiscombe this weekend as the car was rolled at MIRA last saturday. Car is repairable with a gallon of fiberglass & a new roof :roll: . The driver (not me) wasn't hurt but the car definately won't be out for a couple of months. Using our limited crash investigation skills, we think a rear tyre deflated whilst cornering hard, which with the very wide & low profile cross-ply slicks, meant the rim dug in & tipped it on its side where it slid quite happily until it ran out of track & then dug into the earth & flipped onto its roof & the tyre wall did a good job of stopping its wayward progress. The marshalls & medical staff were superb & Tom was fully checked over before he was allowed back to the paddock. Mechanically the car is undamaged, just the roof & all the righthand fiberglass panels are worn a bit thin in places, & a full set of new plastic windows required. The car was looking very tatty anyway so its probably time for a bit of a tart up session.
If you have any problems at Wiscombe, Andy Till in his clan is going so look for him, & my friends Ben & Wil Hamer are their with their Turbo Mini & they will gladly help you out.

Have a great day

Eric
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax »

Eric,

Give me a call if you need any bits off one of the scrap shells i have; a complete roof or pillars etc., the roof is probably not good enough for a road car but might help you out, whatever you need to get the beast rolling again.

Cheers
Bri
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver »

Brain

"whatever you need to get the beast ROLLING again"

we'd rather not :twisted:

Eric
cov_climax
Car Model: Super

Post by cov_climax »

Eric,

Figure of speach, i'll have a look at roof's tonight weather permitting.

BTW: you can spell my name right if you want :wink:

Cheers
Bri
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

wiscombe

gerry

we went it rained, we conquered now I know why they call it wet wiscombe
Keith
Dorset ACO
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Top man - was it as much fun as you thought it'd be?
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

wiscombe

fun , in extra large doses, didn't really care that it rained , need to sort brakes for better feel but hey i'm gonna join woolbridge and go again looking towards maybe the next mira round , can't do curborough i'm on route to le mans

keith
Keith
Dorset ACO
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Don't forget the next MIRA has been moved to May 28th - I'm gonna be there subject to babysitters, as my wife is away that day with my sister-in-law!! I'll know in the next few days - if you're gonna be able to make MIRA it will certainly make me pull out all the stops to be there, as the only Imp I've raced so far this year is my dad in the same car!
DavrianRacer

Post by DavrianRacer »

Probably joined this one a little late, however another option for imp engined racing is in the SRGTC. I've run a Ginetta G15 Davrian there for about 6 years now and have had some good clean, fun racing. You can see details on www.srgtc.org.uk Basically cars must be a Sports racing or gt car (or replica of) built up to 1975, running on 1a / 1b tyres. No forced induction allowed.

Cheers
998cc, its not the size that counts............
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

gurston

is anyone entering gurston 27/28 august weekend in the hsa?

keith
Keith
Dorset ACO
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Can't do it unfortunately - I'm now just down to do MIRA on 17th September and then the season closer at Curborough on 9th October. Looks like we may go the whole season without meeting.
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver »

Keith
I won't be there unfortunatley, car won't be out until next year :roll: . Well worth going tho', as it's part of the british hillclimb championship. Equivalent to being in a support race on a british touring car event. All the top runners will be there and the HSA have there own class, so there is no pressure. Very good atmosphere & nice track facilities. My mate in his mini last year went up (well you actually start down hill) straight after Adam Fleetwood (hill record holder) every run, made the mini look very slow :twisted: , 80 mph at the bottom of the hill against 143mph. (and only 70 mph for me in the imp, but i could take the corner at the bottom flat out :lol: ).
I have a dvd of the event last year if you are interested, i could post it to you.

Eric
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

gurston

hope to be at Curborough for the end of season.

keith
Keith
Dorset ACO
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Don't you just love those three avatars in a row of real race cars - if only there were more...
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

One day, Gerry. One day... :roll:

IM 8)
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Hi Stu (should it be Stu-lonso now?)

Good to see you're coming back to the Imp fold, a bit like getting back with an old flame, but even more expensive!!

Yes, Andy did some fantastic times in his turbo, but don't forget that my article and therefore quoted class records related to class N (less than 1040cc and fully road legal), whereas Andy's turbo put him in class P (basically anything over 1040cc or any non road-going Imp engined cars of whatever capacity) - did you do a sub-70 at Loton in an under 1040 normally aspirated car, or was that when you had the 1070 fitted?

As I remember it, the protest on Andy's Imp wasn't so much about the HSA Imp classes, it was from the drivers of other cars in the up to 1400cc modified production class who were fed up of him beating their twenty grand Novas and Minis!!!! I think it was 'cause he was using his A008Rs at the time - not list 1a.

Cheers

Gerry
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

today from gurston

first run time 50.67 hollow 65mph k'sel 26.15 finish 63mph first ever time on hill

second time 48.54 hollow 64mph k'sel 26.11 finish 65mph this run was just after a heavy downpour actually ran with wipers on

third time 47.08 hollow 65mph k'sel 24.57 finish 61mph this run had the car sideways between k'sel and ashes

so back tomorrow for one more practise then two timed runs
Keith
Dorset ACO
SimonBenoy
Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Post by SimonBenoy »

Keith,

Best of luck tomorrow (and don't do what I did on my first visit to Gurston - outbraked myself into the tight right at the bottom of the hill and went grasstracking!!).

Cheers - Simon
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Keith

Saw your car at National (very very nice it is too), but unfortunately didn't get to speak to you personally! Good luck at Gurston, a hill I've never been to but would love to do some time - are you still planning on doing Curborough on 9th October?

Gerry
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

gurston update

first practise today

time 47.32 hollow 65mph k'sel 24.72 finish 59mph

first com run

time 46.28 hollow 65mph k'sel 23.92 finish 64mph

final run

time 45.44 hollow 65mph k'sel 23.81 finish 64 mph

boy was that fun , anyone got any previous Imp times from Gurston?
Keith
Dorset ACO
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

mira 17th sept

Is anyone staying local on the friday night? Learnt today my entries accepted.
Keith
Dorset ACO
super66
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe

Shelsley Walsh Sunday 11th Sept

Post by super66 »

Went to see the hillclimb on Sunday and watched Stuart Cairney beat the Mini's in the damp conditions. I got a good photo of him on the hill, does anyone know if he is contactable through the forum to let him know?

Hope to see many of you at Curborough in October, in the Imp. :D
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Can you post the picutre on the forum? - I know nothing about Stuart or his car...
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

:D Way to go Stuart! Imps rule! :P

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
super66

Shelsley Walsh Sunday 11th Sept

Post by super66 »

Have posted 4 pics from the Shelsley hill climb in the Events album, includes a very nice Avenger that was competing. I assume most Imps were running on Saturday having looked at the HSA website
Gerry Richards

Re: Shelsley Walsh Sunday 11th Sept

Post by Gerry Richards »

super66 wrote:
Hope to see many of you at Curborough in October, in the Imp. :D
By this do you mean as a competitor or spectator?
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

I'd love to be there as either! Alas I remain Impless until the new shell for mine is prepared, painted and built up. :cry: It'll be a sprinter - 930 cc, R21, etc. I am keen but a bit impecunious, mainly due to the Imp! :? Maybe I'll have it back by then. It'd be great to spectate and get to see Curborough in preparation for possible future competition there.

I suppose I could come along in the modern and meet you all, see what happens and what is involved and get some idea of what, if anything, I'll need to do to the car, etc.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

curborough

Gerry

got the car running again yesterday, just got to get some threadlock for the screw on the lumenition. going to try playing with brake bias next, hopefully see you there.

Keith
Keith
Dorset ACO
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Maybe some slightly softer pads on the front Keith? For those of you that don't know Keith had some issues with locking brakes at MIRA on Saturday and spun at the right hander after the speed trap - as a result he accidently started an experiment to see if a 998 will run backwards!! Glad to hear the engine's running again.
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

going to try the reverse actually, put some harder rears and a bias valve in, spent some time on phone with Uncle Malc.

reckon it'll be fun to develop the Imp

Keith
Keith
Dorset ACO
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

ImpManiac wrote:
I suppose I could come along in the modern and meet you all, see what happens and what is involved and get some idea of what, if anything, I'll need to do to the car, etc.

IM 8)
That's what I did - went to Curborough to have a look and got hooked. FWIW my first sprint at Curborough was in a car with a bog standard 875 sport engine and standard 12 wheels and tyres. Improving things gradually as you go along is the way to go.

Back to the original theme of this thread - trying to get people to come out hillclimbing and sprinting. This is how it stands for next year:

Keith (supaimpy) - who I met for the first time on Saturday. Hopefully out in class N again next year, plus maybe his lad, Dan
Andy (stepponit) - threatening to come out again next year after a year off
Paul (I think, Impmaniac) - might be out if he gets his car finished, see above
Stuart Watson - former class benchmark, let's work on him to get him back in his Imp!!
Stuart Cairney - done some events this year, anyone know if he's coming out again next year?
Michael Tindale - not on the forum AFAIK. Registered in class N this year but currently using his Clan instead.
Me - up for it again next year, as long as three or four others are.
Who else?

It's worth noting that the HSA now have a fantastic website. See http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk Ben Boult (President) and Paul Richardson (Chairman) are both Imp-men - Paul was out in his Clan on Saturday. Let's get fields of 5 Imps out next year in class N!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Sounds like fun! :D

Paul 8)
Paul Harrison
super66

Post by super66 »

we will be at curbourgh in an imp but only as a spectator, but will come down and introduce ourselves. see you all there
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Any Impers who fancy a day out with us next Sunday, Curborough is hosting the final round of the Aldon/HSA Speed Championship. Myself and Keith Laming in road-going Imps in class N, Paul Richardson and Mike Tindale (Clans) and Graham Cashmore (Davrian) in class O, with Ibbo (Daviran) and Norman/Andrew Till (sharing Clan) in non-roadgoing class P. (this is from memory - hope I've got it right).

Also running is Tony Marsh, six time British Hillclimb champion in his Gould single-seater. He also used to race GP cars (I think he was even racing the day Fangio won the '57 German GP at the Nurburging!)

Practice starts around 9.30, competitive runs at 1.00 pm.

Normally very cheap to get into Curborugh, if you can find it!!
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

www.curborough.co.uk/

www.curborough.co.uk/

for those wishing to watch
Keith
Dorset ACO
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

All being well, I'll be spectating. I hope to meet some of you! :D

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

getting started

http://www.curborough.co.uk/files/intr2003.pdf

a good place for those curious to give it a go

see you sunday Gerry

Keith
Keith
Dorset ACO
pimpdriver

Post by pimpdriver »

Keith,Gerry & any body else competing

See you Sunday, i'll be down to cheer you on. :lol:

Eric
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Looks like we can expect a good turnout of spectators - see you all there on Sunday!
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Two Imps (one double driven), two Clans (one double driven), two Davrians - getting back to like it was in the good old days. Thanks for all of you spectators for turning up also, nice chatting to you all - my most enjoyable day of the season so far!

Keith and I are already making our plans for next season. Provisional dates are already out on the HSA website http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/calendar.htm

See you all next year if not before.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Great to meet you, Gerry! It was also nice to meet you, Keith and the others too. I am looking forward to next season!

http://www.theimpclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2641

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Hiya Stepponit. My profile:

old- no, overweight- no, balding- yes : the exact opposite of your description - should make for an interesting contest next year.

It'd be great if as many Imps as possible could at least enter for the two HSA MIRA rounds. Centrally located, cheaper to enter as you get reductions for being a HSA member, fast, exciting, and a dedicated class N for Imps as the HSA dictate classes. What more could we want?

I'm also planning to do Llandow (great camping facilities and a superb fast, long circuit) and Gurston (never been but heard it's exciting) next year, as well as my usual local events at Loton and Curborough.

Keith is on board, sounds like you are Andy, hopefully Impmaniac, up for it Stumacher? We even got Ben Boult back in a saloon at Curborough thanks to Keith lending him his car.
Gerry Richards

Post by Gerry Richards »

Just had to post this to get that reply count up to 100 - it's been on 99 for so long I started to feel like a nervous cricketer!

Any updates on your plans for 2006, class N contenders?
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Gerry,

Happy new year!

I am going to begin making enquiries this very week about events, MSA licenses, etc. I hope to get my car back soon(ish?). I have booked up for the proposed track day up at Knockhill this July - can't wait! Anyhow, I might be looking right here for advice about how to get an entry into events in the near future. This has been covered before but some aspects of our chosen sport still confuse me a little, sometimes. If I have any problems, I know you guys will straighten them out! :D

My main focus will be the Aldon/HSA events, I think, although the odd round of other championships wouldn't go amiss, I guess, especially if they are local. I am constrained a little by finances but am determined to try at least a few events this season.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison