Rally Forum (Sticky like the HSA forum)

forum_admin
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imp

Rally Forum (Sticky like the HSA forum)

Post by forum_admin » Fri May 18, 2007 12:12 pm

over to moose I feel..
Forum Admin on behalf of the The Imp Club Ltd.
moose
Car Model: rally imp

motorsport

Post by moose » Sat May 19, 2007 9:25 am

only just spotted this, i am guessing you want all my drivel in here and so not poluting the rest of the forum? will have a look at the HSA one. regards mike
moose

cost of motorsport

Post by moose » Sat May 19, 2007 9:38 am

right lets start this thing rolling by making the racing lads green with envy last weekend the Berwick classic cost £95 to enter this included 2 packed lunches and 2, 2 course meals at the finish choccy bars and water thrown through the window at the end of some of the tests, 200 plus road miles, 3 sections competitive regularity (got to give the sack of spuds in the left seat something to do other than complain about the cost of pencils!) 30? tests, not sure i never got past the 7th an evening and full day on some fast and flowing tests. For comparison i have taken the rally car to Barbon hillclimb (the weight of me and the car being a slight disadvantage) £75 for 2 minutes and i got that long because i was bl***y slow. joking aside it was a great day out, there is usually a road modified class so every imp owner that has fitted any mod should put it on their list of things to do before i die, borrow helmet overalls (club together and share) it is you that controls the damage to the car. Then come and do a NESCRO round ask a fellow competitor who will advise on which event would suit your car i once took a standard imp to the cumbria classic and set the fastest time on one test run on grass.
rootes
Club Member: No

Re: motorsport

Post by rootes » Sat May 19, 2007 10:08 am

moose wrote:only just spotted this, i am guessing you want all my drivel in here and so not poluting the rest of the forum? will have a look at the HSA one. regards mike
not drival - v interesting - just thought it would be good to keep all the rally stuff in one place ala the solo and hsa stuff..

Si
With Diesel Power, Blows your mind drastically, fantastically
moose

Post by moose » Sat May 19, 2007 1:20 pm

nice idea will try and put some info in after the rally thiss weekend
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Sat May 19, 2007 2:54 pm

Would be nice to hear something from the Irish contingent as well :D
gdbushell
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe, Hillman Husky

Post by gdbushell » Sat May 19, 2007 5:11 pm

there is usually a road modified class so every imp owner that has fitted any mod should put it on their list of things to do before i die
How much longer do you plan being with us, just to give us some idea of timescale? :wink:

Sounds like fun anyhow, shame your up in the NE...
moose

Post by moose » Mon May 21, 2007 8:24 am

HA HA i shouldn't type so fast i plan on living for a while so you all have a bit of time to compete. NE ? i live in the north west are you trying to kick off the war of the roses again!
gdbushell
Car Model: Singer Chamois Coupe, Hillman Husky

Post by gdbushell » Mon May 21, 2007 5:46 pm

Well, I did begin life in Yorkshire...

Now I've escaped, I can tell all the southerners how wonderful Yorkshire is, and never have to go back!

I'd like to give something like that a go, when I can raise the beans, until then there's 12-cars...
moose

Post by moose » Mon May 21, 2007 7:17 pm

sell a couple of cars strip the best bits from the others and look for a local car club that runs a suitable event as i say if you look into it classic rallying it has lots of levels you don't need £££'s and the rules are not like the british championship/HRCR that seems to have attracted big money rally cars and set ups. It is club level rallying and you can start with a standard car and develop it as you go, all you need to do is the x5 factor which is basically the use on a rally is x 5 the road use so if you do 2000 miles a year in your imp you probaby do not change tyres brakes etc to often, lack of use probably does the damage but if you do a 100 mile rally and say 12 tests at about 8 miles combined look at the manual and check everything that is recommended at a 500 mile interval oil water brake fluid brake adjustment etc. rough calc but keeps a rally car reliable. Always remember driving an 875 on its limit to the best of your ability is just as good a a buzz and requires similiar levels of skill to driving a better faster machine that is designed to do it.
moose

york viking rally

Post by moose » Wed May 23, 2007 5:26 pm

Well the box survived but i drove like a muppet collecting a max on the first test cost around 90 seconds, then set some respectable times but we were never going to gain that loss back the old saying applies go clean go fast. later in the day we had throttle problems with the return spring breaking in one of the carbs this led to the throttle being wide open for the last 6 tests i changed these for new ones at the begining of the season as i have come accross this before, there is nothing more frustrating than new genuine competition parts failing. i drove the test using the ignition switch as a throttle which didn't help with my concentration and we stuffed up another test, putting us in 15th o/a and 5th in class. But a finish all the same and some excellent tests on a well organised rally.
bevan63

Post by bevan63 » Wed May 23, 2007 6:33 pm

Thanks for this new forum, I think it can bring new Imps to the rally world.
Unfortunately I am too far to go to your events, but they seem quite interesting.
Why don´t you come to the Historic Rally of Portugal from 3 to 7 October? I know it is far and more expensive, but you will have 3 full days in fantastic narrow and twisty roads, largely used in the 40 years history of this rally, last event had 1.700kms in 3 days, and everybody loved it.
It is similar to the Monte Carlo concept, and you are forced to drive very fast (but safe) as the regularity demands an average media that is very difficult in those roads. And if you have a problem, you can restart next day.
Inscription costs are 2.450 Euros, but if you confirm it up to June15th you gain a 20% discount. Price includes hotels and probably you could deal a better package as a foreign competitor.
Please contact me if you need help.
Rui
moose

Post by moose » Sun May 27, 2007 4:36 pm

Many thanks for the invite, cannot do it this year but i am thinking of having a year off as i have other things in the pipe line but would want to do selected events, so i may have a bash at a british championship round or modern stage event or travel to Portugal. Sounds like a big event what surfaces would the roads be?
bevan63

Post by bevan63 » Mon May 28, 2007 3:23 pm

moose wrote: Sounds like a big event what surfaces would the roads be?

It is all tarmac, using most of the narrow and twisty stages of the former editions of this WCR, but then they were gravel.
It is not a destroying surface, and enough to enjoy a lot.
If I can be of any help, do not hesitate to contact me.
Rui
Useless Eustace

Jack storage

Post by Useless Eustace » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:18 am

Not too sure where to put this so I've dropped it in here.

Simple question. How to mount a small scissor type jack inside a car so that it's "tied" down tightly but doesn't float around the car BUT stays easily accessible. Can't mount in the engine compartment or the boot.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:43 am

What about the oddment bins in the rear of the passenger compartment. The ones that the rear seat passengers would use. It ought to fit in there on its end and it should be possible to create some means of fixing it in place - e.g. maybe some webbing or netting over the compartment or a simple bracket.

I've stowed my entire contingent of spares that I carry in the car in the two oddment bins. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
moose

Post by moose » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:18 am

drill a hole in the footplate and use a bonnet pin bolted through the floor behind the front seats, a spacer and rubber tube or strong spring mat be required to prevent rattle! regards mike
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:11 pm

Good idea IM but it aint an Imp so no oddment bins :twisted:

Mike.........Drill a Hole........OK can cope with that. Bonnet pin bolted through the floor...........OK can cope with that. Eh what happens after that.......not sure how the bonnet pin secures the jack. Must be easy enough but I seem to be missing something :? The point !!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:31 pm

D'oh! Forgot! :oops:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
moose

Post by moose » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:20 pm

drill the hole in the jacks footplate, lower over bonnet pin put retaining clip through the bonnet pin, may need a spacer, do you want a photo? i can post one soon if it would help. regards mike
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:11 pm

Picture would indeed be good Mike. :D A thousand words and all that.

Got any better pics of the driveshaft mod?
moose

Post by moose » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:13 pm

photo's to follow when i finish nights on satutrday, got a car booked in to sort the carbs an old morris eight, and need to fit new fuel tank rad duct idea mk5 and check crown wheel backlash on imp box and get ready for Barbon hillclimb on the 16th plus have to go back to work for 2 12 hour days and 2 12 hour nights! so be patient, the pics may get posted at a strange hour! right back to my breakfast. regards mike
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Blimey Mike don't you ever chill out ?!?! Best of luck with those hours. I gave up the 09.00 - 17.00.........Too much. Now I only worry about the car & the huskies. That's more than enough !!!!! :twisted:
moose

Post by moose » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:38 pm

right nearly ready for Barbon just the usual checks to complete and a good wash and polish after i finish the 12 hour days. Anyone interested in watching it is a great little event with a full entry, it all starts at 09.00 on saturday the 16th june at Barbon near kirkby lonsdale (near devils bridge where all the bikers go) lancashire timed runs start after lunch. useless your driveshafts are back with me but cannot get decent photo of radius want to swap a set?

regards mike
moose

Post by moose » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:43 am

Drove to Barbon competed and drove home came 5 th in class i think (there were 5 of us) 34.1 fastest time for me, it was damp on the surface great little event and if anyone wants to try there is an imp rally car time to aim for or blow into the weeds. A nice day out with the imp being paid quite a bit of attention. I was totally out classed by the hillclimb boys in my class a very fast 1360 peugeot 106 set the fastes time 30.5 4 seconds quicker than me over 890 yards (i think it's only that long) but his car would not get near me in the lanes on a night rally or survive a blast through the forests.
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Still I bet that you enjoyed it Mike & that's basically the main thing. A nice catch all car that's fun at various types of event.

Was it more enjoyable than the rallying? Certainly much shorter...........just about as long as a long test !!
AND
NO DAMAGE !!
moose

Post by moose » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:02 pm

no damage! a nice change for me, very short and rubbish value for money compared to the rallying, but that is due to my lack of skill at hillclimbing i even used the handbrake on the hairpin, great crowd pleaser but slow compared to the proper hillclimbers, still local hill and a nice day out, i would recommend that everyone, know matter what spec their car (so long as it is in the regs and you'd be supprised what you can run) competes on their local events. it is not about the winning but the taking part. think what a thing to tell the grand children, i went up "£$% hillclimb in my imp when i was young etc continue with complete pack of lies about how quick you used to be, hell they will be impressed even if it was a standard car that you pushed up! regards mike
moose

Cumbria classic rally

Post by moose » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:04 am

Anybody want to watch or marshall (raffle, free food and best views) on the Cumbria classic, be at Penrith truck stop between 8 and 9 am on the 1st of july. 1st test usually on the truck stop and then off to wherever, but we usually use lowther park, yanwath wood, university car park. all within a 50 mile radius of the start. good compact event usually has a full entry and is well organised and slickly run. haven't forgotten the jack photo's just been busy, work getting in the way of life again. [/img]
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:20 am

Sorry Mike. Won't be down & neither, of course, will the car :cry: :x :cry: :x

Are you doing the event? Shame apparently that Greystoke is out this year.

No problem about the pic. I'll get it from you sometime. Just lay off these 24 hour shifts before it knackers you :P
moose

Post by moose » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:25 am

i will be there, yes real shame about greystoke i enjoyed that last year all of it absolutley flat and if i remember i set fastest time on one of them. Take your time with the clan better to be right when finished and reliable, rather than drop to bits each event and annoy you, its the DNF that hurts not the time and expense to put right. regards mike
Useless Eustace

Good result

Post by Useless Eustace » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:46 pm

Well done to Moose. :D Fourth overall on the Cumbrian Classic on 1st July.

Beaten only by two Ford RS2000 & a dreaded M*** Cooper S.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:03 am

:shock: Well done indeed, moose!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 72 Deluxe

Post by bazzateer » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:20 am

Nice one Moose! Now then, how're you gonna beat that M*n* ? :twisted:

Baz
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
moose

cumbria classic rally

Post by moose » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:39 am

the mini is a 1380 high spec machine driven by a very experianced driver who is quick to say the least. The imp is pre 67 mods only running drum brakes etc so has to be pedalled hard to get the times to match the modern machinary, thanks for the comments i will post a report when i have time. RFK demon and Thompson 1248 came to watch thanks for the support lads and the photo's video clips, one of which is on you tube look for rally imp, i will post some more and a link on here for anyone woh is interested. regards mike
RFKdemon
Car Model: Davrian mk5

Post by RFKdemon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:28 am

Well done again Mike! Was a quality drive and a pleasure to watch you thrashing stupidly powerful cars such as lotus talbot sunbeams, rs2000's and some very quick m*n*'s purely because of having such awsome skills and a brilliantly set up car!
Thanks again to you and Ian for showing me how it all works 8)

Take it easy

Matt
As with all my posts this is just my opinion, if you are offended or dont agree with this just ignore it instead of giving me personal abuse.
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:54 pm

Eh was that a "test" Mike :twisted: Looked more like a rally stage to me :shock:

You around next Tuesday or are you on one of your marathon work sessions.
moose

Post by moose » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:49 pm

off tuesday!
Useless Eustace

Post by Useless Eustace » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:02 pm

PM sent.
moose

Post by moose » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:52 am

Next event Knockhill speedfair (see you there Scot) hoping to get the proper box in and the stripes back on the car, report from the cumbria will be on here soon, another vid on youtube for those interested will post link in videos section. regards mike
rally clan
Club Member: No

Post by rally clan » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:39 pm

By rallyclan, shot with Canon EOS-1D Mark II at 2007-07-17