AMH 337H Rallycross Preparation in USA - Shocks?

JVL
Club Member: No
Car Model: 1969 Hillman Imp

AMH 337H Rallycross Preparation in USA - Shocks?

Post by JVL »

I've found my new favorite sub forum!

So I'm looking to prepare my Imp to use in SCCA Rallycross here in the US. These events are generally low speed (35mph top) maneuvering through a short cone track, typically in a grass/dirt/mud/snow field. No trees, no jumps. I will be classed as "modified rear wheel drive" and will be competing with some Miatas, Volvos, Porsche 924s, an old Toyota MR2.. I use the term competing loosely. I'm really just looking for a place to drive my Imp sideways in the dirt, as they seem to love to do.

The reason for this thread is to get some questions answered to better prepare the car for rallying. First off.. the car is mechanically sound.. I've got the 875 running sweetly, totally standard engine but using a single DCOE on a combined manifold and a 123Tune distributor. I've converted the car to disc brakes up front (from Colin). New alternator, water pump, fuel pump.

I have in stock, ready to install:
Front and rear poly wishbone bushings
new rotoflex couplings
rear rear brakes/wheel cylinders with braided lines
top steering rack bushing
adjustable track rods

While I have the suspension apart, I'd like to tackle any gusseting or strengthening needed. I have Millington's book, and I've viewed a few threads here with pictures on adding some metal to suspension arms.

I'd like to use RAC springs. But I'll want to replace all four shocks. So first question, what shocks would be recommended?
Jim Lecesse in Raynham, MA USA
1969 Imp Deluxe - IMPorted - two steps forward, one step back
1980 Caterham Seven - 1700XFlow flying low
leadfoot
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp Spring Special

Re: AMH 337H Rallycross Preparation in USA - Shocks?

Post by leadfoot »

Hi jim,
Speak to Mike Dent ( Moose) on here, he will advise and supply the best shocks, springs, also great for all mods on imps.
but just at the moment he is in Australia for the next couple of weeks.

keith.
ImpManiac
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

Yes. Mike is the guy to speak to. :) He has worked with one of the damper manufacturers and they have produced what I can only describe as dampers of the highest quality! I saw some at this year's national meet near Preston. They are of lightweight alloy construction and the adjustment on them really works. They will not be cheap but they truly would be worth every penny. :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
JVL
Club Member: No
Car Model: 1969 Hillman Imp

Post by JVL »

Perfect! Thank you, both. I look forward to speaking with Mike, and will do my best to keep this thread updated with my progress.
Jim Lecesse in Raynham, MA USA
1969 Imp Deluxe - IMPorted - two steps forward, one step back
1980 Caterham Seven - 1700XFlow flying low