imp heated windscreens

This is the section for passing on details of suppliers that have offered you good service and would like to recommend to others. Please give brief details including price(s) and always include their full contact details and a website link.
No traders, self advertising or complaints please,

imp heated windscreens

Postby moose » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:42 am

http://www.heatedwindscreen.com/acatalo ... reens.html

i highly reccomend Ricky and his company for quality of product and service.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
moose

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: rally imp

Re: imp heated windscreens

Postby skamanfrank » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:17 pm

What's the difference between the Monte Carlo and the normal heated screen?

I'd really like a Ford style one.
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Club Member: No
Car Model: 1972 Imp Super

Postby The Nun » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:52 pm

Monte Carlo has the visible horizontal silver line at the top and bottom of the screen, the old fashioned way of doing it, a Ford type screen has elements that are almost invisible, these types are slightly more easily damaged when installing if someones a bit rough handed with them, but they usually have the elements split into 2 separate circuits left hand and right hand but they still work together.

The Ford style would be my preference too, the silver lined old style would get on my nerves.
Peter Nunn...ey! Im member no.33
Singer Chamois? I know them, my wife's got one of their sewing machines.
The Nun

Car Model: Singer 998 B1 Sport Chamois 1966

Postby moose » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:58 pm

Normal is as per Ford, as you can see in pics no silver stripes, the Monte is as per the monte works cars (or similiar before an anorak jumps on my back) with silver stripes across.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
moose

Postby skamanfrank » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:49 pm

moose wrote:Normal is as per Ford, as you can see in pics no silver stripes, the Monte is as per the monte works cars (or similiar before an anorak jumps on my back) with silver stripes across.

Looks like it has the silver strips in the pic for the "standard" one though:
Image?

vs

Am I missing something or have they just used the wrong photo?
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Postby moose » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:08 pm

yes pic is wrong but the description of a clear screen is correct if you want to see what a clear screen looks like look at the coupe.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
moose

Postby Grahame59 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Just curious, on the Monte Carlo screens with the rather garish silver lines, are they the only heated elements or do they have Ford-like elements running vertically between the silver lines? If the silver lines are the ONLY elements I'd be interested to know how effective it is as there is quite a distance between the two lines. Anyone actually fitted one? If I was lucky enough to own a works Imp then obviously the Monte Carlo style is pretty much compulsory but for a road Imp the Ford type has to be better, if only to avoid everyone asking what those silver lines are every time I park the car!

Very slightly off-topic… I'm thinking of getting one of their laminated screens with a top tint (most likely not heated as the car is rarely used in winter), does anyone know if this requires a different windscreen seal as I think laminated screens are slightly thinner than toughened?

Imp011
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
Grahame59

Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Postby John Simister » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:02 pm

I believe there are indeed thin vertical elements between the visible silver strips, but not as many as in in the Ford-type heated screen. The Monte Carlo-type heated glass was an option for the rear window of some cars in the 1960s, including the Rover P6 (not fitted to mine, sadly).
Member number 6. Crashed first Imp in 1972, am now on 11th.
John Simister

Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto 1968

Postby Turboimp » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:03 pm

I was lucky enough to have the Monte Carlo type in My 1967 Imp Sport when I bought it in 1972 ( ex hartwell demonstrator ) Still going strong by the way, The advantage of this type is lower current consumption as the elements are shorter , the silver strips never bother me . I cant say I even remember seeing them until it was mentioned above .
There is a Myth going around that FORD have some sort of patent on these , Ford are not the only company using them , volvo do as well on later models ..But It was TRIPLEX who brought these to us as said above ... first seen as a rear screen in an Early 1960's Rover . Imp009
Attachments
Triplex Electrically Heated Windscreen.jpg
1967 Imp Sport turbo 328000 Imp Miles , in the same car
1972 Clan Crusader 222000 clan Miles in the same car
must be some kind of record !
Turboimp

Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport Turbocharged in 1983 + Clan

Postby skamanfrank » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Mike. Perfect for what I want then.

Turboimp wrote: There is a Myth going around that FORD have some sort of patent on these , Ford are not the only company using them , volvo do as well on later models ..

Could it not still be a Ford thing then but used by other PAG members e.g . volvo and JLR (who also use them)?
Cheers
Frank
skamanfrank

Postby Grahame59 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:48 am

John Simister wrote:I believe there are indeed thin vertical elements between the visible silver strips, but not as many as in in the Ford-type heated screen. The Monte Carlo-type heated glass was an option for the rear window of some cars in the 1960s, including the Rover P6 (not fitted to mine, sadly).

A friend had a Rover P5B in the early 90s which also had this type of HRW. I remember being very impressed with the near invisibility of the elements. It was the first of that type I'd seen.

As a kid I used to collect all the brochures at the Motor Show and noticed that you could order a heated rear window as an option on your new car. I remember thinking that surely a heated FRONT screen would be even more useful! Later, I can't recall the details but there was some patent around in the 90s which allowed Ford to use this type of element for heated front screens, which is why they are referred to as 'Ford type'. I recall thinking at the time that it was rather immoral to put a patent on what was clearly a safety item for commercial gain. Obviously lots of brands have them nowadays so maybe the patent was only granted for a limited time only? Our 2007 Mini Cooper S Clubman has a heated front screen and I must say it works extremely well. Our Kia Sedona also should have had one – it has the switch but unfortunately the previous owner must have suffered a broken screen as it was replaced by a standard screen. Anyway, it looks like any patent no longer exists and they are far from exclusive to Ford.

Imp011
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Grahame59

Postby imporium » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:15 am

Grahame59 wrote:Just curious, on the Monte Carlo screens with the rather garish silver lines, are they the only heated elements or do they have Ford-like elements running vertically between the silver lines? If the silver lines are the ONLY elements I'd be interested to know how effective it is as there is quite a distance between the two lines. Anyone actually fitted one? If I was lucky enough to own a works Imp then obviously the Monte Carlo style is pretty much compulsory but for a road Imp the Ford type has to be better, if only to avoid everyone asking what those silver lines are every time I park the car!

Very slightly off-topic… I'm thinking of getting one of their laminated screens with a top tint (most likely not heated as the car is rarely used in winter), does anyone know if this requires a different windscreen seal as I think laminated screens are slightly thinner than toughened?

Imp011

Hi Grahame, Laminated screens are a bit thicker, ie 1/4" & used a different wider grooved rubber & you will be lucky to find one... Part No 7209761.......Malcolm Husky003 Van001 Imp003 Imp009 .
" Keeping the Imp Alive & Kicking "
http://www.malcolmanderson.co.uk
imporium

Car Model: Hillman Husky Singer Chamois Commer Imp Van

Postby Grahame59 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:25 am

imporium wrote:
Grahame59 wrote:Just curious, on the Monte Carlo screens with the rather garish silver lines, are they the only heated elements or do they have Ford-like elements running vertically between the silver lines? If the silver lines are the ONLY elements I'd be interested to know how effective it is as there is quite a distance between the two lines. Anyone actually fitted one? If I was lucky enough to own a works Imp then obviously the Monte Carlo style is pretty much compulsory but for a road Imp the Ford type has to be better, if only to avoid everyone asking what those silver lines are every time I park the car!

Imp011

Hi Grahame, Laminated screens are a bit thicker, ie 1/4" & used a different wider grooved rubber & you will be lucky to find one... Part No 7209761.......Malcolm Husky003 Van001 Imp003 Imp009 .

Thanks, Malcolm. That's not good news. If you are saying the screen seal that you supply for toughened screens won't work with a laminated screen that sort of puts a lid on me – and others – getting a lam screen! I'd better stick with my toughened one unless Ricky can supply the correct seal. (I've emailed him to see.)

EDIT: Just had a reply from Dan at Ricky's: ''Funnily enough we have an Imp ourself and have just fitted a heated screen to it. The standard seal is actually ok with a lam screen if it is in good condition as we are talking about maybe half a mm difference''
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Grahame59

Postby imp.sport » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:48 am

Just curious of how much these variants are as last time I saw a price for these screen's it was out of range for me.
I'm just one reasonable lottery win away.
Using the space here for a shameless plug.......http://imps.webs.com/
imp.sport

Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Postby Grahame59 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:52 am

imp.sport wrote:Just curious of how much these variants are as last time I saw a price for these screen's it was out of range for me.
I'm just one reasonable lottery win away.

Have a look at the link at the top of this thread and tap 'Imp' into their search box. They do various laminated Imp screen combos: saloon or coupé, clear or top tinted (green), hot or cold. Be aware though that postage is hefty at around £44 as it comes attached to a pallet. Also factor in new seal (recommended if you don't want leaks) and relays, switches, wiring etc for a hot screen. There's also the risk of it cracking when fitting (laminated screens are a lot more fragile during fitting compared with a toughened screen). Two lottery wins should just about cover it.

Imp011
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Grahame59

Postby imp.sport » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:00 am

Sorry :oops: I should have looked.
I'm so used to finding websites where you have to ask for a quote to find out.
Actually cheaper than last time I heard even with the extra pallet.
Just a generous birthday gift away now. :)
Using the space here for a shameless plug.......http://imps.webs.com/
imp.sport

Car Model: Sunbeam Imp Sport (Marv)

Return to Recommended Non Imp Traders