Couriers

This is the section for passing on details of suppliers that have offered you good service and would like to recommend to others. Please give brief details including price(s) and always include their full contact details and a website link.
No traders, self advertising or complaints please,

Couriers

Postby impman1965 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:39 am

Ive just used these, much cheaper than doing it yourself

http://www.shiply.com/
impman1965

Re: Couriers

Postby kilty » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:02 am

I`ve used them, very good. :)
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
kilty

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imps

Postby impman1965 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Just had a quote to move us, 50 miles, it started at £195, now the best is £113, i didnt realise the people who makes the quotes can see each others 8)
impman1965

Postby Colin Valentine » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:14 pm

I send out a lot of Disc Brake Kits around the UK this year, and also to Europe, Sweden, Finland, S Africa & USU.
I also sent several years sending an engine to Jose in Ecuador, in 15kg parcels, because of Import controls.
So I've tried the Post Office, and quite a few Couriers.
I've found the simplest way is to go on-line to FASTLANE Couriers (We deliver the World)

They run a "Compare the Market" style website for sending parcels to anywhere UK or Abroad.
Procedure is to make up the parcel, then get the bathroom scales and take the weight.
Then measure the cube, length, width & height.
Then go their website and put in the Seller Country & Post Code, then Buyer Country & Post Code, weight & dimensions.
You may also need a phone number for the Buyer, which they require in case of difficulty delivering.

The system then comes up with a series of quotes and the prices, from Couriers such as City Link, Fed Ex, Parcel Force, DHL and so on.
Usually more than 10. You can then pick the one you want to use.
Quote Variations include 1 day delivery, but the usual is more like 3-4 Working Days.

Then you print off the Documents put one on the parcel and have the others available.
Don't write your own, as the Official Document has the Bar Code which is used for sorting and tracking by the system.
The parcels are collected from the house, so no trips to the Post Office.
I usually leave the parcel out under the car port.

I understand that Fastlane is an offshoot of DHL.
So when someone wants to send, say, some large pieces of machinery to another country, then he has to pay DHL for a complete container.
But it may not be the max weigh for the container, and there is plenty of "fresh air" around the machinery.
So this where Fastlane come along with lots of small parcels, and fit them around the major item, up to the max weight allowed.
What the are doing is filling the "spare space" in a container.
In esssence, they are getting the small parcels shipped for free, as the DHL Primary Customer has already paid for the whole container.
So the small parcels get quick and cheap deliveries.
It seems to work really well for UK and abroad.

Hope that helps someone,
COlin Valentine
Colin Valentine

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: BS Nymph, Sunbeam Stiletto, Rally Imp

Return to Recommended Non Imp Traders