Stiletto model

A place to talk about little Imps etc e.g. slot cars, dinky, vangaurd, RC etc etc
John Simister
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto 1968

Stiletto model

Post by John Simister » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Has anyone ever made one in 1/43? I'd buy one if it existed, but then only model Stiletto I can find is that tiny pewter one on eBay. It's a shame Vanguards didn't adapt its Chamois Coupé model to make a Stiletto version.

John
Member number 6. First Imp bought in 1972, 10 more between then and 2019. Currently Impless.
mikeyhearne
Car Model: B.S. Nymph

Re: Stiletto model

Post by mikeyhearne » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:08 pm

i think there was a white metal one made as a kit that you assembled yourself , was in limited numbers and a bit pricey
Mikey
nothing is IMPossible with the right attitude and a BIG hammer
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:04 pm

You need to get hold of a coupe' one, they did a Chamois didnt they, take that apart, and then using your model making skills change it into a Stiletto, that wouldnt be too difficult to do either, then you could personalize it to look exactly like your own?? :idea:

I dont think you can get a specific Stiletto version so making up your own would be the answer.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Grahame59
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Grahame59 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:40 pm

John, there was a very nice little white metal model, 00 (railway) scale so somewhat smaller than 1/43 (approx 1/76 I think). It was a Regalia item, see August 2005 Impressions. I'm sure Regalia can tell you the manufacturer.

Imp011
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
John Simister

Post by John Simister » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:11 pm

I shall look out for the white metal one. Or maybe find a Chamois Coupé and convert it, but finding the time will be hard when there's a real Stiletto to fettle. That OO-scale one sounds interesting but might look a bit dwarfed by the 1/43 models I have of other cars I've owned. I'm just trying to keep the collection up to date. Me, OCD? Never.

Thanks for all the replies

John
Member number 6. First Imp bought in 1972, 10 more between then and 2019. Currently Impless.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:53 pm

Spares and four headlight front panels will be cheaper at 1:43 scale too, so shouldn't take too long to knock one out :wink:
mikeyhearne

Post by mikeyhearne » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:39 pm

Grahame59 wrote:John, there was a very nice little white metal model, 00 (railway) scale so somewhat smaller than 1/43 (approx 1/76 I think). It was a Regalia item, see August 2005 Impressions. I'm sure Regalia can tell you the manufacturer.

Imp011
that is the same as the pewter ones on Ebay .
the manufacturer is Autosulpt , they do a full range of imps variants and imp based cars
Mikey
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:59 pm

Slightly larger scale (1/32) but there was a slot car model of a Stiletto a few years back made by Highway32 I think.........

discussed here; http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.p ... opic=27804
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:06 pm

There was a railway sized ( 1/76 ) pewter one you had to build yourself , they did do a Stiletto , i have the van and saloon ones i built to look like my cars ,
Attachments
DSCF2793.JPG
Formally known as " Noddy "
Grahame59

Post by Grahame59 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:16 pm

mikeyhearne wrote:
Grahame59 wrote:John, there was a very nice little white metal model, 00 (railway) scale so somewhat smaller than 1/43 (approx 1/76 I think). It was a Regalia item, see August 2005 Impressions. I'm sure Regalia can tell you the manufacturer.

Imp011
that is the same as the pewter ones on Ebay .
the manufacturer is Autosulpt , they do a full range of imps variants and imp based cars
Mikey
I don't think so Mikey. I haven't looked on eBay but as far as I know all the Autosculpt ones are not kits, they are just one lump of pewter (I have them all too, the range even includes Ginetta, Clan, Davrian and Nymph). And they are even smaller than 1/76, possibly 1/82. The one I was referring to was in Impressions (Aug 2005) and is most definitely a white metal (not pewter) kit with separate interior, floorpan, interior and 'glass'. The Autosculpt ones are also Regalia items from time to time which may explain the confusion.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Cally

Post by Cally » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:22 pm

I've made a few 1/43 Stiletto's and a four headlight Sport using donor Vanguards models and its pretty easy. You may have seen them on dash of my Stiletto at Nationals from Bangor onwards

Did one for Chris D of his Lincoln Green car as well as one for myself[my Stiletto is identical to his] using a freely obtainable aerosol paint

When i have a bit of spare time figuring how to cut out slatted engine lid from a Corgi model and insert into Vanguard to make conversion even more realistic

I have also done a few 'Works' Avenger Rally Cars converted from white Vanguard models using same techniques
Grahame59

Post by Grahame59 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:19 am

This is the Stiletto that was for sale via the club's Regalia in August 2005. I can't recall the manufacturer, it's on the tip of my tongue but I think it's a company that makes predominantly model railway accessories. However, Regalia will of course know. I appreciate it's not much help to John as it's not 1/43 but others may be interested. Once you have removed some casting marks with a file or Dremel it is a very accurate model. The wheeltrims and engine lid louvres are very nicely sculpted. As is often the case with these models, they look far better in the metal than in a photo.

At the risk of straying further off topic their Commer Imp Van is also very nice and, apart from the tiny but very accurate Autosculpt pewter model, possibly the only Van model available, though there was/is a nice resin conversion kit which contains the Van rear shell ready to graft on to the Vanguard saloon, suitably cut down of course.
Attachments
ooStiletto2.jpg
ooStiletto5.jpg
ooVan.jpg
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:52 am

Nice Stiletto model, now if only it was 1:18 scale I might even buy one.
mikeyhearne

Post by mikeyhearne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:03 am

The Nun wrote:Nice Stiletto model, now if only it was 1:18 scale I might even buy one.
find someone with a 3D printer ?
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:34 am

mikeyhearne wrote:
The Nun wrote:Nice Stiletto model, now if only it was 1:18 scale I might even buy one.
find someone with a 3D printer ?
Thats a very good idea, something for later I think when I get mine up and running, you could print off a full size one of your own car exactly, use that one for shows, then if it gets scratched you just print another.
In fact if you cant attend yourself you could just send a print of yourself too. :wink:

Im sure it wont be too long though before the undesirables find a criminal way to use the system for their profit and it will probably start off in Russia.
And how long before someone prints off a head of someone else to wear in a robbery so they get accused instead of the real person, hmmm all doesnt bear thinking about really does it?
mikeyhearne

Post by mikeyhearne » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:39 am

The Nun wrote:....And how long before someone prints off a head of someone else to wear in a robbery so they get accused instead of the real person, hmmm all doesnt bear thinking about really does it?
isnt that the plot to one of the Mission Impossable films ?
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:42 am

mikeyhearne wrote:
The Nun wrote:....And how long before someone prints off a head of someone else to wear in a robbery so they get accused instead of the real person, hmmm all doesnt bear thinking about really does it?
isnt that the plot to one of the Mission Impossable films ?
Is it? Ive no idea, perhaps I had better watch it now youve said.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:12 pm

From Steve Yates.
Attachments
12062011776_001.jpg
12062011776_001.jpg (62.07 KiB) Viewed 16085 times
Formally known as " Noddy "
Grahame59

Post by Grahame59 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:48 am

Very nice, Steve
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:12 am

Noddy wrote:From Steve Yates.
Looks very professional :) is it a 0.998? :wink:
mikeyhearne

Post by mikeyhearne » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:27 am

sorry to be picky but it needs the overriders on the front bumper removing as Stilettos didnt have them fitted due to the twin headlights .
Mikey
Grahame59

Post by Grahame59 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:31 am

mikeyhearne wrote:sorry to be picky but it needs the overriders on the front bumper removing as Stilettos didnt have them fitted due to the twin headlights .
Mikey
Yes, it's true it could be argued that overriders could intrude very slightly into the light from the headlights but they were an optional extra – my old Stiletto had them, as do many others – including (most relevantly) John's!
Attachments
Johns_Stiletto.jpg
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Richard Claydon
Car Model: 65 Ex Works Rally Car

Post by Richard Claydon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:40 am

In the accessory brochure it says that over riders are not suitable for four headlight models.

Rich
Richard Claydon
81 Sport
67 Preproduction Stiletto
65 Works Rally Car
Grahame59

Post by Grahame59 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:50 am

Actuarius Impetus wrote:In the accessory brochure it says that over riders are not suitable for four headlight models.

Rich
Actually, you are quite correct Rich, but many Stilettos had them fitted nevertheless. I never found the headlights wanting with the overriders fitted and of course the lights are less likely to get broken by careless parking (obviously not by the Stiletto owner!), which is the whole point of them!
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:59 am

My Sunbeam Sport had over riders fitted from new as standard and if you look at the brochure for the 75 IMPS it shows the Sport with the over riders fitted with the four headlight system.

So obviously they changed their minds on the later 4 headlight cars as to their suitability
Grahame59

Post by Grahame59 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:21 am

The Nun wrote:So obviously they changed their minds on the later 4 headlight cars as to their suitability
Or maybe with the end of Imp production imminent they realised they had boxloads of overriders to get rid of. A bit like the Caledonian being laden down with accessories (reverse lights, Sport wheeltrims, door mirrors, etc. Oh, and overriders!)
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:37 am

Yes but the Caledonian only had the 2 headlights anyway, so over riders would be ok.

If they were originally saying you cant have them on 4 headlight cars because they interfere with the inner light beam, then they must have had a change of heart later and decide, what the heck it doesnt really matter does it and we have to get rid of all these before we finish production so stick them on them all, and only IMP CLUB members will query why in 30 years time, so we should be ok, fingers crossed.

Pity they didnt throw all the left over 998 engines into the last of them too.
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:56 pm

Grahame59 wrote:
The Nun wrote: A bit like the Caledonian being laden down with accessories.
Aye Grahame, it would seem so.
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
John Simister

Post by John Simister » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:04 pm

I confirm that despite its overriders, my car (and its driver) can see where it's going at night. The headlights are remarkably good, even by modern standards. The outer ones are Cibié but the inners are old-tech sealed beam.

John

PS - yes, I know the sidelights/indicators are the wrong way round. It's on the to-do list, currently topped by silencer (holed), flexible coupling (too flexible) and water pump (too vocal). All need to be fixed before the Le Mans Classic.

We seem to have veered impressively off-topic.
Cally

Post by Cally » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:02 pm

Just to get back on track - Stiletto models are easy to make even if not 100% accurate.

There are some pitfalls:-

The Vanguard model uses one of two baseplates one with bumpers the other racer type has no bumpers and these are not generally interchangeable unless you file a slot in body of racer type to accomodate extra space where bumper locates.Filing off overriders takes chrome effect off and leaves base colour plastic and virtually impossible to repaint to same effect as original>hence I use original bumpers

You can interchange Vanguard wheels but usually have to destroy the hubcap type wheels to get them off the spindles as they have peened over ends on spindles. Minilite type wheels from sportier Vanguard Imp models,pull off the axles and slot easily onto old spindles. I've tried drilling out plate that provides 'springing suspension' of the baseplate but its hard to reattach after new axles/alloy wheels are substituted because if you do attach OK these usually bind and prevent body unit being reattached. I use screws but you can use superglue

You can buy replica minilite wheels from several model suppliers on EBay, mine on copy of MKC my car are the scale 13" type, the ones on the 'prototype' red car in photo are from a Vanguard Rally Californian model
The jewels for 4 headlights are available from model suppliers or cheaper from craft shops if you know where to look, and are easily fitted to replace originals scale 7" with scale 5 3/4".

Satin Black roof is a fair copy of vinyl roof

Chamois has a deeper trim/badge on front panels but you can alter this with a Dremel or equivalent tool. A bit of silver paint around screen apertures makes a fair copy of wider screen trims on Stilettos

Corgi Imps do have a fair attempt at Slatted Sport engine lid but is hard to cut out and graft onto a Vanguard shell.

I've converted some metal wheels so that they are pretty good copies of Sport Wheeltrimmed steel wheels, but prefer the alloys that most real Stilettos wear nowadays.

I've got a converted Corgi car transporter with a Commer cab built from a conversion kit from Kingfisher that carries my Stiletto conversions,red 4 headlight Sport and a red Saloon 'modded' to look like my other car a Caledonian. On the stocks at present is a triple deck transporter with later Maxiload Commer cab

Steve Yates
Grahame59

Post by Grahame59 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:51 am

Cally wrote:You can buy replica minilite wheels from several model suppliers on EBay…

Steve Yates
That's all very well but what about Dunlop D4s (as fitted to John's Stiletto)? :wink:
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:55 am

The Vanguard IMPs are really good castings and accurate, the only thing that lets them down slightly I find, is where they try to replicate the hub cap wheels, they seem out of scale to the rest of the car, caps too big and track too wide? something that could easily be corrected, especially the wheel track width?
I expect its because they use a standard capped wheel thats the same on other models to save on cost?
The Vanguard IMP models that use the Minilte style wheels look much more to scale. Dont know if anyone else thinks that too??
Grahame59

Post by Grahame59 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:25 am

The Nun wrote:The Vanguard IMPs are really good castings and accurate, the only thing that lets them down slightly I find, is where they try to replicate the hub cap wheels, they seem out of scale to the rest of the car, caps too big and track too wide? something that could easily be corrected, especially the wheel track width?
I expect its because they use a standard capped wheel thats the same on other models to save on cost?
The Vanguard IMP models that use the Minilte style wheels look much more to scale. Dont know if anyone else thinks that too??
Yep, agree with you there Peter. When I got my first Vanguard Imp years ago (the red one, their first Imp) it looked great, the main shell far better than the old 'sixties Corgi and Dinky ones but the track was too wide which did annoy. Over the years the models improved with proper headlights, separate windscreen wipers, wing mirrors and other welcome refinements but the wide track remained, making the car look like it had wheel spacers.

It is a real shame they didn't make the very small tooling alterations to their excellent coupé shell to make a Stiletto; I know it would have sold very well. A Van/Husky would have been great too but I don't think that is ever going to happen.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:03 am

Makes you wonder doesnt it it a few years time when these 3D printers are perfected and folk can make there own to whatever scale they can fit on the machine whether the likes of Corgi/Vanguard will suffer and disappear, I fear they will?
kilty
Car Model: Imps

Post by kilty » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:00 pm

I've got an unmade Stiletto and a Commer Imp Van in OO gauge from the bloke who made them originally. He still does them to order but isn't online or email, he only deals with postal requests. I'll dig them out and let you know John. I think they're about a tenner now. He does the saloon still as well as a lot of other good stuff.

Drew
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
pbergs
Car Model: stilletto

Post by pbergs » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:51 am

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Ok , I officially have no life. Found scalextrix resin body on eBay...pretty rough but the right shape. Found running gear on another site and had an under the arches paint job. Just about to solder the connectors and look for the old track in the loft!
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by pbergs on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:56 am

Almost looked real for a moment there :wink:
pbergs

Post by pbergs » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:02 am

[attachment=0]image.jpg
Attachments
image.jpg
pbergs

Post by pbergs » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:05 am

The Nun wrote:Almost looked real for a moment there :wink:

I have seen worse!! My original stiletto after three years and a number of issues would have been rejected by Scalextrix.

You will note,of course that I have gone for the square rear plate! :D
The Nun

Post by The Nun » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:53 am

pbergs wrote:
The Nun wrote:Almost looked real for a moment there :wink:
You will note,of course that I have gone for the square rear plate! :D
Yep looks great, and you went for the 1 1/2" wheel spacers all round for the Minilites too?

PS Perhaps you could tell "African Imp" where you got the coach line because he cant find any :wink: