Imp towbar chassis brackets wanted

Club Spares Info - parts lists and contacts in this forum

Moderator: spares

Imp towbar chassis brackets wanted

Postby crazyimpnut1991 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:58 pm

Hi all,

I have brought what I thaught was a complete towbar off eBay last year, upon recieving the towbar I was happy with it, (needs sandblasting and powdercoating) but this was stated in the description. I have looked at the genuine instructions (included in the sale) and found that there is two brackets that sits on the inside of the chassis, which are missing, as I didn't know that they were part of the towbar, also didn't realise they were missing, I gave the seller positive feedback and that was that.

I now want to fit it to my 67 super, I need these brackets to fit the towbar for me to get up to the 50th national.

Has anyone got some that they want to sell to me and for how much.

Thanks for your help.

Ben
crazyimpnut1991

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: 2 Hillman Imp Supers, a 66 and 67

Re: Imp towbar chassis brackets wanted

Postby bazzateer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi,

If they're like mine they're just L shaped pieces of steel with a hole in the short bit for the bumper bolt and a couple of holes in the long bit for bolting to the sides of the rear chassis rails. With a bit of measuring you should be able to knock them up yourself or get them made. I'll see if i have a pic of mine before I fitted it......

Edit: There you go:

If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Temporary Deputy Assistant Under-Manager Chiltern AC
bazzateer

Car Model: 68 Chamois/72 Imp Sports, 72 Deluxe, 67/69 Vogues

Postby crazyimpnut1991 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 am

Hi Barry,

Might be a bit of a long shot but have you got any dimensions for me to go off, i.e length of long piece, length of short piece, position of holes, thickness of metal etc.

Just to give me a rough idea as to the way it looks as I am going in blind as they say.

Thanks for your help,

Ben.
crazyimpnut1991

Postby bazzateer » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:44 am

Afraid not.

If you work on 12" x 1" x 1/8" for each piece you should be close enough.

The short section is about 1" long. If you make the holes in the side chassis rails first then put the L piece in place you can mark on it using the chassis holes as a template for drilling.

Hope this helps as access to the brackets is poor once they're in place.
bazzateer

Postby crazyimpnut1991 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi Barry,

That is what I was afraid of, I had a look this afternoon and I could get extremely fustrated measuring, I tried and gave up, that is why I asked, what size holes are in the chassis and also can I screw a bolt through the chassis to make the bumper mountings studs or do I have to drill the thread out of the captive nut in the chassis.

I apologise for asking all these questions but the diagram isn't clear for the dimensions (obviously) and I want to have an idea in what needs to be done before I start making them.

Cheers,

Ben
crazyimpnut1991

Postby bazzateer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:56 am

My tow bar came with the bolts shown in the photo above which are thicker than the standard bumper bolt so I did drill out the captive nut. You then have a beggar of a job to get a nut on the bolt once it's all together, with patience and tenacity you'll get it done. With hind-sight I would make the bolt captive on the end of the chassis rail as it would be much easier to just slide everything onto the bolts then pop a nut on, the bolt, although captive, would need to be able to be 'wiggled' a bit to aid fitting though - so captive in the sense that the hex head of the bolt should be in a 'cage' which prevents the bolt from turning but allows movement along it's length (if that makes sense?).

From memory I think there is already at least one hole in the chassis rail which I used for one of my side bolts, slotting the L bracket in place and marking through the hole then taking a suitable measurement from this mark to near the end of the bracket makes it easy to then mark and drill the chassis. Once the second chassis hole is drilled place the bracket in situ again and double check where you'll drill the holes by again marking the bracket through the chassis holes.
bazzateer

Postby crazyimpnut1991 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks Barry,

Could I screw a bolt through the bracket into the captive nut and through the rear crossmember and slide the towbar and bumper assembly on the bolt and screw a nut on the end, so basically turning said bolt from going into the chassis to coming out the chassis. Then tighten the bolt, and keep a spanner on the nut while tightening the nut. I was going to do this and use a longer 1/2" spanner size bolt, would this bolt (with the bracket to reinforce the chassis and take the load) be suitable with the correct nylock nuts.

Cheers,

Ben
crazyimpnut1991

Postby bazzateer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:12 pm

That could work although on mine the original bumper bolts were of a thinner size than the ones that came with the tow bar hence the need in my case to drill out the captive nuts. You'll still need to fix the brackets to the chasss rails otherwise the two bumper bolts will be taking all the load.
bazzateer

Postby crazyimpnut1991 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:47 am

Hi Barry,

Yes I was going to put the bolts down the chassis. I've now got a rough idea where I am now heading with them so I can get some steel that dimension and start making them. I will keep everyone posted on how they turn out.

Cheers,

Ben
crazyimpnut1991

Return to Imp Club Spares