danny1

Club Member: No
Car Model: hillman imp supper

Re: fuel pump

Postby kilty » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:49 pm

:) Another Imp one?
They are plentiful. :wink:

Drew
Drew Aitchison. Messing about in Imps since 1967!
kilty

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Imps

Postby danny1 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:05 pm

ive checked ebay and cant find one

were sells them lol
danny1

Postby 617sqn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Perhaps the title of this area is a give-away there, mate.

Merry Christmas !

Andy G. Image
Member No. 7500, and proud of it !
617sqn

Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Postby Dom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm sure some one out there has more than enough spares, but I made a thred asking if any one had two for sale over a week ago and no one replied ?

Imp029
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
Dom

Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto

Postby 617sqn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 pm

7100090/1101 fuel pump new 1 30.00

This is from the IMP CLUB SPARES list on pdf file.

Come on lads, it ain't rocket science :D . And there is always the usual sources such as Speedyspares and Malcolm Anderson.

Andy G. Image
617sqn

Postby danny1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 pm

alright sorry.

this isnt the easiest forum to use!

and both those companys dont do fuel pumps i checked!
danny1

Postby SimonBenoy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:52 pm

Danny

I'm sure that Malcolm Anderson does Imp fuel pumps. He does all Imp parts.

Cheers
SimonBenoy

Car Model: 68 Stiletto, 72 G15, 67 race Imp, 3 projects

Postby danny1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:09 pm

im ok now i managed go get it workign again but ill keep it in mind for the future thanks for the help :)
danny1

Postby 617sqn » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:28 pm

this isnt the easiest forum to use!

Oh, I apologise Danny. It's always a good idea to use the search facility as well as looking at the options available at the head of any particular area. The fact that this was noted as Imp Club spares should have given you a bit of a clue, but I can appreciate that not everyone is used to how these things work. And it may be that non-members can't get access to it, so I'm sorry about that if you can't. Speedyspares is based in Portslade near Brighton and they do mail order so you wouldn't have to go there. Their web site is simple and effective, although not everything they sell is listed. Sometimes best if you can find the part number first and then google it.

Andy G. Image

From Speedies site : http://www.speedyspares.co.uk/ROOTES/IM ... Page2.html

malcomanderson.co.uk : Petrol Pump, newly remade, not AC type £32
617sqn

Postby danny1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:03 pm

cheers
sorry wasnt having ago

i do plan on joining as im going to be looking for spares for my imp soon
danny1

Postby Dom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 pm

I asked on the forum because i don't have allot of money atm with no job, i was hoping to pick up a 2nd hand one for a few quid or a drink at the next national or something like that, i assumed that some one in the imp club would have a spare fule pump to sell me.
Dom Smith
69 Sunbeam Stiletto XPA175G
Dom

Postby 617sqn » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:28 am

No harm in asking Dom. Perhaps all those with a spare fuel pump wanted to hang onto it for their own use "just in case".

I don't have one anymore, having 1) given it to a young member a few years back and 2) I'm all electric :lol:

The Imp Club spares do a rebuild kit for about a tenner.

Andy G. Image
617sqn

Postby imporium » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:04 pm

Dom wrote:I asked on the forum because i don't have allot of money atm with no job, i was hoping to pick up a 2nd hand one for a few quid or a drink at the next national or something like that, i assumed that some one in the imp club would have a spare fule pump to sell me.

Maybe Farter Christmas will send you a good used one on Monday.... :roll:... :wink: & sort it out later ok......Malcolm... Imp009 Van001 Husky003
" Keeping the Imp Alive & Kicking "
http://www.malcolmanderson.co.uk
imporium

Car Model: Hillman Husky Singer Chamois Commer Imp Van

Postby briang » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:49 pm

[b]Maybe Farter Christmas will send you a good used one on Monday.... :roll:... :wink: & sort it out later ok......Malcolm... Imp009 Van001 Husky003 [/b][/quote]

Has Santa been on the sprouts ? :)
briang

Car Model: Singer Chamois------Hillman Imp --..Hillman Husky

Postby danny1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:43 am

santa gave me socks like he has for the past 4 years,

im gonna be naughty as i dont want socks anymore
danny1

Postby bouncybili » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:45 am

If you're still looking I've got loads of old ones.
‘71 998 Stiletto (Stacey)
‘72 SIII 88" LandRover (Pickle) et al
Let's stick to helping each other keep Imp things on the road
Nuff said
bouncybili

Postby The Nun » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:40 am

danny1 wrote:santa gave me socks like he has for the past 4 years,

im gonna be naughty as i dont want socks anymore

Maybe he will drop you off some hankies then instead. :wink:
Peter Nunn...ey! Im member no.33
Singer Chamois? I know them, my wife's got one of their sewing machines.
The Nun

Car Model: Singer 998 B1 Sport Chamois 1966

Postby 617sqn » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 am

If you're still looking I've got loads of old ones.

Who on earth would want old socks ? :o :o

:D

Andy G. Image
617sqn

Postby GaryH » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:36 am

Hi
I'm using a pump of later external appearance to the original AC Type YD. Newly remanufactured a couple of years ago, as I understand the situation.
Other than lacking the old hand-priming lever (useful after car not used for a couple of weeks - rare in my case but we didn't take it on holiday to Canada! :-) , I've found that its delivery-pressure is too high. "Adding gaskets" is no help - it's presently packed-out by almost 5 mm which is proving n-e-a-r-l-y enough. Delivery pressure is still only just under 2.5 psi; spec range is 1-1/4 to 2 psi. The resulting problems were always subtle and transient; as now packed-out they've become infrequent but this is annoying, especially when I remember that the annoyance is accompanied by shoveling excess fuel into the carb. BTW Pressures exceeding 3.5 psi will blow fuel through the needle-valve regardless! With the present running-pressure of 2.5 psi, engine occasionally hiccups on over-run when hot; spits a little fuel out the manifold-drain sometimes , coinciding with slightly reluctant hot starting.. I'm sure (from an extended chain of observations) that this is caused by cold fuel expanding in the pump; if engine is stopped coming up to #1 firing, the pump-diaphragm will already be at max against the spring so expansion will take the pressure higher than the set value.
My suspicion is that at remanufacture, the old diaphragm-spring made of Imperial-dimension wire was rounded-up to the nearest heavier metric size?
Has anybody else been digging into/wrestling with this?
Does anybody know the manufacturer of that later-style pump?
Cheers
GaryH
GaryH

Car Model: Hillman Imp Mk1, NZ assembled

Postby 617sqn » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:44 am

Why not fit a pressure regulator and be done with it ?

Andy G
617sqn

Postby GaryH » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 am

Hi Andy
Because
a) these pumps are inherently pressure-regulated, and
b) adding junk between the non-return valves of the pump and the needle-valve will subject more petrol to thermal expansion, with the same possibilty of forcing past the extra needle-valve and then the one in the carb, (rembember that liquids are barely compressible at all) and
c) It really shouldn't need it! :-)
As presently packed-out, it regulates solidly at a whisker under 2.5 psi regardless of revs. but there are nuisance-factors creeping in, such as having to take the carb off to remove/refit pump...
-
If I end up adding anything, it would be to follow the Japs and add a fuel-return pipe forward to the tank.
Cheers
GaryH
GaryH

Postby John Ross » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:12 am

Gary

As the stroke must be a result of the lever being different can you replace the lever with an original and the diaphram (wigh cnetre rod) for an older one or at least compare them, assuming the fulcrum is the same as an original (if remanufactured it should be)

The fact that so much packing is needed sound like the lever (or length of connecting rod to diaphram. Maybe you could sortern the rod or just file out the notch end closest to diaprhram to reduce the "push" and then bend the back end for the pull ??

If that was a VW pedestal at 5mm you would have lost all pressure by now ;-) so fickle, in that scenario I just went electric :shock:

John
John Ross

Car Model: too many at moment.....

Postby GaryH » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 am

HI John
Thanks for your thoughts; I'll certainly store then in the 'arsenal' that seems needed to properly resolve this.
The pressure is defined by the combination of stroke, effective diaphragm area and spring-compression, whereas the maximum throughput (e.g to refill a dry float-bowl) is area x stroke, regardless of the spring. by limiting the pressure by packing (or hacking the lever :-) ) we can bring down the pressure but eventualy a point may be reached where available displacement becomes insufficient. So to make a large correction in pressure the spring should be the primary target. I'd love to know the wire-gauge and free-length of the spring from an original one of this later-pattern pump. (not YD; it has stouter castings and the top-cap is held down by a hex-head bolt, recessed into top-cover.) I still suspect that either the spring has been wound incorrectly, or the wire-gauge 'rounded-up' to a Metric size...
-
Along the way I found that making a "packing" out of 1.6 mm aluminium decreased the heat-soak to the pump when engine stopped by over 8 degC....
cheers
GaryH
Cheers
GaryH
GaryH

Postby John Ross » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:56 am

GaryH wrote:HI John
Thanks for your thoughts; I'll certainly store then in the 'arsenal' that seems needed to properly resolve this.
The pressure is defined by the combination of stroke, effective diaphragm area and spring-compression, whereas the maximum throughput (e.g to refill a dry float-bowl) is area x stroke, regardless of the spring. by limiting the pressure by packing (or hacking the lever :-) ) we can bring down the pressure but eventualy a point may be reached where available displacement becomes insufficient. So to make a large correction in pressure the spring should be the primary target. I'd love to know the wire-gauge and free-length of the spring from an original one of this later-pattern pump. (not YD; it has stouter castings and the top-cap is held down by a hex-head bolt, recessed into top-cover.) I still suspect that either the spring has been wound incorrectly, or the wire-gauge 'rounded-up' to a Metric size...
-
Along the way I found that making a "packing" out of 1.6 mm aluminium decreased the heat-soak to the pump when engine stopped by over 8 degC....
cheers
GaryH

Hmmm, the reduction in heat sounds interesting, if its the same pump I have on ours (hex head, not af size bolt down) I might have a better look and I also have a few odd coughs and spulutters which till now I haev assumed is just the crud I find in there choking the Nikki.

I had same issue on the VW, ended up putting an electric pump and requlator in as I could not get the aftermarket pumps to work as I had hoped (always too high or nout). I don't need the guage inline on the VW any more, I might pull it out and fit it to the imp for a look.

I don't have the Imp in to work with me today, will check later as it sounds like its the same after market pump on Boris.

John
John Ross

Postby GaryH » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 pm

HI John
Yep, "odd coughs and splutters" sounds familiar.... LL has long been regarded as a good runner; sundry effects put down to "Solex", less-than-smooth take-up when throttle re-applied to "cable throttle" etc. But the more I dig into fuel-pressure-related issues, the more these effects go away. So I want to get to the specified pressure range using the equipment that 'should" achieve it. :-)
Meantime, the car is overall a nice drive anyway. :-) :-)
Cheers
GaryH
GaryH

Postby John Ross » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:46 am

GaryH wrote:HI John
Yep, "odd coughs and splutters" sounds familiar.... LL has long been regarded as a good runner; sundry effects put down to "Solex", less-than-smooth take-up when throttle re-applied to "cable throttle" etc. But the more I dig into fuel-pressure-related issues, the more these effects go away. So I want to get to the specified pressure range using the equipment that 'should" achieve it. :-)
Meantime, the car is overall a nice drive anyway. :-) :-)

Gary

Same here, it is starting to get the norm just getting out now and again (I can tell its coming) and blowing through the line to carb.

On the VW I originally had a couple of the notorious coughs/hesitant especially when moving through rpm (Solex) and after beating the carb and timing to death it did indeed end up being a combination of pressure and larger bore fuel line that fixed it. The old fuel line is still in there as its a beech to get to, I suspect a flow restriction somewhere in there even although it blows through great.

Completely fiorgot to look at Imp before I came in to cehck pump type. Wuill check later.

John
John Ross

Return to Imp Club Spares