STARTER HANDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Club Spares Info - parts lists and contacts in this forum

Moderator: spares

STARTER HANDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby nickhealy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:11 am

Dear all,

i was wondering if anyone could tell me where i would get a starter handle for a my singer chamois coupe deluxe? it's been sittin having not turned over in about 16 years, so i want to turn over the engine before i try and turn it on so as to get internal fluids etc going! any advice on where to get a starter handle? or just on this process as a whole?

thanks,

Nick
nickhealy

Re: STARTER HANDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Grahame59 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:32 am

Nick

Welcome to the Forum.

Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of getting a stating handle and popping it through the hole in the bumper; a starter dog needs to be fitted to the crankshaft pulley first for it to engage on.

However, there's a simpler way if all you want to do is turn it over to circulate fluids etc. You should be able to reach round behind the rear crossmember and pop an adjustable spanner on the crank pulley nut. If it's really solid perhaps put a jack under the spanner. In fact, if it's that solid you'll need to pour some oil down the bores and leave for a few days to seep down.

Once you are able to turn it with the spanner a few revolutions you should be able to haul it over by hand using just the fanbelt.

Obviously keep the plugs out when turning it over to reduce compression and therefor resistance.

Btw, no such model as Chamois Coupé Deluxe. Prob just a Chamois Coupé.

Good luck.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
Grahame59

Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Postby The Nun » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:23 pm

To turn my engine over when Im working on it I put a 1 1/4" A/F socket on the crankshaft pulley nut, then through the starting handle hole in the rear valence pass through the square drive extension into the socket, then put on the brace handle, and you can wiz the thing round but in a controlled manner, and even get the oil pressure light to go out.
Peter Nunn...ey! Im member no.00033
Singer? I know them, my wife's got one of their sewing machines.
The Nun

Car Model: 66 Chamois 998 B1/3

Postby Grahame59 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:53 pm

The Nun wrote:To turn my engine over when Im working on it I put a 1 1/4" A/F socket on the crankshaft pulley nut, then through the starting handle hole in the rear valence pass through the square drive extension into the socket, then put on the brace handle, and you can wiz the thing round but in a controlled manner, and even get the oil pressure light to go out.

Great tip!
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Grahame59

Postby timmchugh11 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:22 pm

i grab it with me hands and spin it
timmchugh11

Club Member: No

Postby Grahame59 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:17 am

timmchugh11 wrote:i grab it with me hands and spin it

The engine in question is stiff from not having run for years. If it would turn over by hand I don't think Nick would have posted the question.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Grahame59

Postby limjamrace » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:56 am

I think Tim is indicating that in jest Grahame!
My post yesterday was for some reason deleted(?).Which was of a serious note...In that by swinging round the engine with a socket and brace with the ignition connected could mean that you get rather personally twisted!
Hence that is why the use of a dog leg crankshaft bolt was used! There are still a few around still for grabs!
This was in general terms not refered to this particular engine(Partially seized)..So disconnect the low tension wire from the coil.
Further than this ...On no account disconnect a HT (plug or coil).If the ignition is on... Then a spark could ignite battery gases as once happened to me...I can send a photo of the battery if you don't savvy!
As luck was in i was looking away at the time of explosion ,avoiding face improvements! D.A.G. David L.
limjamrace

Postby Grahame59 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:20 am

limjamrace wrote:I think Tim is indicating that in jest Grahame!

Perhaps, in which case apologies Tim. (There was no winking or laughing emoticon though which is why I assumed it was not in jest.)

The original post is now 2 weeks old and there has been no feedback to our various helpful suggestions so perhaps the original post was in jest too? (Perhaps the clue was that the car in question was a Singer Chamois Coupé Deluxe). I'm signing out of this particular thread until we get some feedback from Nick.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Grahame59

Postby Grahame59 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:26 am

Grahame59 wrote:
limjamrace wrote:I think Tim is indicating that in jest Grahame!

Perhaps, in which case apologies Tim. (There was no winking or laughing emoticon though which is why I assumed it was not in jest.)

The original post is now 2 weeks old and there has been no feedback to our various helpful suggestions - are you out there, NIck?
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Grahame59

Postby nickhealy » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:53 pm

indeed i am alive! been busy graduating from university etc!

and as for the deluxe part of the name i was pureley told this was what was lying waiting on me, because apparantely something to do with the interior spec or something! regardless, i am yet to go through to edinburgh to pick up the car! once i am through in edinburgh i will be able to try the tips posted as such and work out whether or not im going to be stumping up for a new engine or not, hopefully the latter!!!

but do have faith, i shall get this up and running, however long it takes! and no doubt will burn your ears from time to time looking for your experties! but like i said, busy schedule has been an issue so apologies for lack of thanks!!! Nick
nickhealy

Postby Grahame59 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:26 pm

Welcome back Nick! Let us know how you get on with freeing your engine up. Good luck.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
Grahame59

Return to Imp Club Spares