Club Spares Info - parts lists and contacts in this forum

Moderator: spares

Clan155
Club Member: No
Car Model: Clan crusader

Twin Strombergs for Sport engine

Post by Clan155 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi,
I have a very low mileage Clan with original sport engine.
The carbs have been replaced with a brand new Nikki carb and manifold which has only been used for approx 100 miles.

The engine isn’t revving as it should and there is a flat spot.
Instead of messing on with the Nikki, I want to put a set of twin 1.25 stroms back on it or possibly a 28/36 Weber.

Is there anyone in the club who have a set for sale or can put me in touch with someone in the North East who have a decent set on the manifold they want to part with.

Thanks
Geoff Atkinson Clan002
moose
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: rally imp

Re: Twin Strombergs for Sport engine

Post by moose » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:22 am

Hi Geoff. Welcome to the forum. I have a very good carb guy who has been trying to teach me the skills. He has drummed into me over many years that before you alter anything on a carb make sure the engine is in good condition, so good compression, valve clearances correct, ignition system producing a good spark delivered at the correct time. If you are 100% sure this is the state of your engine then look at the Nikki. If you change to Stroms or weber it could be a costly job to find you have the same issue and that the coil is breaking down or the points gap is the wrong size or rotor arm arcing out etc.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Clan155

Post by Clan155 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Hi Moose,
Thanks for the reply. I Made a cursory check of the plugs, leads and ignition when I bought the car. Given the confirmed mileage of only 30,000 and service history, the engine appeared to be in good condition.
It has a new Electronic pointless ignition system, plugs appear brand-new etc. I’ll do a compression test, and run through everything else prior to looking at the carb, thanks for the advice.

I’ve contacted the last couple of keepers, however the car appears to have been laid up for near on eight years with a degree of tinkering going on for yearly mots etc. Given that the condition of the carb which is absolutely spotless, I don’t think there’s been much use of it. It may have been set up incorrectly from the start or maladjusted recently.

The car was recently sourced by Discovery's’ Wheeler Dealer team and ‘sold on’ again via a classic dealership to me. Until they air the programme ( in December apparently) its hard establish what/ if anything was done to it. Unsurprisingly, various scenes on the program were ‘staged’ and the last V5 owner barely set eyes on the car in the last 5 years.

I’m probably a bit prejudiced as in years gone by I have used Webbers, SU and Strombergs. In the 80s, I seem to recall the Nikki carb and it’s quite restrictive manifold was often looked on the poor man’s choice not much cop hence the reason to swap back to stroms etc.

I’ll Take your advice, have a rethink & check everything before I ditch the carb and look further a field.

Cheers
Geoff
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Look forwards to seeing that, did Mike Brewer knock 5000 off the price because it needs a new engine that's turns out to be a loose gear linkage or a blocked oil filter? 🤭
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
benwick3
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Post by benwick3 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Worth checking the manifold for obstructions. I cut up a log type 28/36 manifold several years ago to turn into manifold for bike carbs and found the 'logs' to be partially obstructed by casting flashings.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:42 pm

Interesting to see what blatant mistakes Brewer makes when talking about the Imp/Clan.
Last edited by bazzateer on Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Clan155

Post by Clan155 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:00 pm

The only part that has clearly been ‘broken..’ since the car went into storage and being purchased/used.../traded to the dealership by WD is the driver side window winder handle being snapped off at the mechanism end.

Clearly that was too hard for them to source/repair.

Anyone clarify if you need to replace the whole scissor mechanism incorporating the threaded stud so the handle & dowelled square end can be re attached ? Or instead maybe drill out the remains and replace with a similar threaded bolt?

Thanks for the suggestion about the manifold. Even though this looks like it was just unboxed, you never know.

Cheers
Geoff
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:53 pm

depending on the elec ign system it has fitted i would look there for a fault first. Proper pertronix and luminition type elec systems are usually ok. If it is one of the cheaper brands then it will be poor especially if it has been bought on line already fitted into a new dizzy as the advance curve will be wrong the bushes will wear in about 200 miles and the actual modules in those type have been known to break down under load giving flat spots and or miss fires. If it has been on WD it would not surprise me if they junked a perfectly good sport distributor to fit a £75 complete fit and forget elec system that includes dizzy, cap ,leads etc just to get rid of the old school points.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Clan155

Post by Clan155 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks for the advice Moose, I’ll add that to the list....
Frustratingly I’m having to check other peoples mods. Clearly when one or more parts have been ‘up rated’,they’ve just made it worse.

Being old skool, after modding a car, you kind of knew immediately if your well earned pennies had been spent wisely or if you hadn’t fitted them correctly....

Regards
Geoff
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:13 pm

On my Clan the serrated cone was was broken
SDC17446 (2017_01_22 12_54_02 UTC).JPG
Clan Club replacement a bit different but worked. Pictures show the parts
SDC17540 (800x600) (2017_01_22 12_54_02 UTC).jpg
SDC17541 (800x600) (2017_01_22 12_54_02 UTC).jpg
SDC17542 (800x600) (2017_01_22 12_54_02 UTC).jpg
SDC17545 (2017_01_22 12_54_02 UTC).JPG
SDC17536 (800x600) (2017_01_22 12_54_02 UTC).jpg
Clan155

Post by Clan155 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 pm

Thanks Peter for the invaluable photos!

All is clear now. Somehow someone has snapped the screw which retains the square peg onto the winder mechanism in my Clan. It partially remains in the actual winder mechanism facing outwards but when someone has tried to fix it and removed the pins etc, the screw head has been removed ( possibly drilled out) from the square peg leaving part of it in the barrel.

They seem to have given up then and left the handle in the door pocket ( probably see them bother around with it on Wheelerd Dealers.)

As I haven’t taken the whole mechanism out yet, it appeared the screw entered from the rear.

Simple fix now.

Thanks to everyone for really useful advice. What a brilliant Forum. I started flicking through the respondents links and found various old motorsport and rallying connections.
Peter Hurst
Car Model: singer chamois

Post by Peter Hurst » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:14 pm

Clan155 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:59 pm
Thanks Peter for the invaluable photos!

All is clear now. Somehow someone has snapped the screw which retains the square peg onto the winder mechanism in my Clan. It partially remains in the actual winder mechanism facing outwards but when someone has tried to fix it and removed the pins etc, the screw head has been removed ( possibly drilled out) from the square peg leaving part of it in the barrel.

They seem to have given up then and left the handle in the door pocket ( probably see them bother around with it on Wheelerd Dealers.)

As I haven’t taken the whole mechanism out yet, it appeared the screw entered from the rear.

Simple fix now.

Thanks to everyone for really useful advice. What a brilliant Forum. I started flicking through the respondents links and found various old motorsport and rallying connections.
That's what the forum is for! Most problems someone else has had and knows the fix.
I hope we'll meet at a Clan or Imp event in the not to distant future