Chris' Clan New dash

Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

ChrisBenoy
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Clan 'E' 998

Chris' Clan New dash

Post by ChrisBenoy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Well, I've been lurking around here for a while now, thought it was probably about time that I made a little post here regarding my shiny little car.

Ok for a start I might as well write out the spec. (as far as i'm aware =p) Its a 1984 Irish clan, currently running a smokey old 875 but have a 998 on the way... has a Weber 28/36, sport exhaust and a nice tidy interior. Oh and of course a working (and loud) CD player. As you can see it is yellow and black, few little chips in the paintwork but it generally looks pretty respectable. As for the rest then well, picture says a thousand words and all that.

Well here it(she) is...

Last edited by ChrisBenoy on Mon May 19, 2008 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Very nice car, Chris! :P Hope to see it at one of the AC meets in the not-too-distant!

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:13 pm

Ok and as for any modifications i've done so far... I have taken a photo of the new (ok not new but different) steering wheel i've put on but I dont have it on this computer, its this one though...

http://www.theimpclub.co.uk/spares/mountney.jpg

(linked rather then put up due to it exceeding the size limit)

Oh and some little wheel caps that I made out of aluminium.

As for what i've got planned erm well there are a few things on that list, but right now I think its a case of sorting out and putting back together the smokey old 875 that is currently stripped down to the block due to there being copious ammounts of oil in the water... :roll:

And then get it MOTd... and then me getting a driving licence would be a start =p all in time for the Clan 30th, on June 1st. While revising for my second year exams. No pressure or anything :D
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:14 pm

Nice Chris, I have to say (apologies to the 'other' Clans out there) I much prefer the look of the Irish Clan nose, it just seems more complete to me.

I'm less keen on the dash though!

Looks great, when will you be on the road then?
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:24 pm

Oh the dash is hideous, agreed there. The irish clan dash came from a Fiesta I think. Getting the CD player in was a challenge, thats for sure.

As for when i'll be on the road... i've had plenty of driving lessons now and i'm absolutly piling them in at the moment so should be having a test sometime within the next month or two depending on the waiting list.

As for the car... well no idea when that will be ready, will have to see if we can salvage anything from the current engine which has always been really smokey, if not there is a 998 at Dennis' for it but he is obviously a busy lad so that will be done when its done. If not then well, will have to steal one of my dads race engines ;-) (or not)

Either way i'll get it on the road, I am as my family and most people who know me well know.. stubborn, and I want my car on the road. So it will happen. Just not sure how right now, every time I touch it another bit stops working =p.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:35 pm

ChrisBenoy wrote:Image
This rocks! 8) You could probably make more - including ones for other wheels - and sell them.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:39 pm

Heh cant sell them, they are only stickers I printed off, cut out and stuck onto aluminium circles, not sure they are going to last in all weather but could easily put some varnish over the top if I felt like it.

Would happily write a quick guide on how I did them if anyone wants to do any for themselves but its pretty easy. Happy with the end result though =) thought my car needed some form of identification on it as irish clans have no badge so it seemed like the easy way to do it.
pimpdriver
Car Model: Irish Clan, Luff Hillclimb Clan.

Post by pimpdriver » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:48 pm

Chris
I've got some stickers for the rear of the irish clan in the correct style if you want one.

Eric
Grahame59
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super

Post by Grahame59 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi Chris

Nice Clan, the reg looks familiar, was it one of the factory press cars (possibly originally silver or red)?

Have you got any insurance quotes yet? Just wondered as my son is a relatively new driver and loves Clans.
Grahame Pearson
Member No. 23
Editor, Impressions

1967 Imp Super
(0-60 like a Porsche, only slower)
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:10 pm

Eric - A correct style sticker for the back of my clan would be brilliant =)

Grahame - From a magazine article I have on my car it sounds like it was one of the factory demonstrators, origonally a two tone grey/grey a colour that never made it into production(no prizes for guessing why). However it shares the TIJ part of the registration with the white/red irish clan which was the one used as I think as a pace car or something at a race in ireland, picture below.

As for insurance, you would have to ask my dad =p but he has had a quote and I believe it was a touch above £1000 not to bad considering its a first car and despite a small engine, is quite sporty.
rally clan
Club Member: No

Post by rally clan » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:29 am

This is the ex Tim McKie car from Northern Ireland, there was a good article written about it in Carsport a number of years ago just after it was restored. When Tim bought the car he went to pick it up from a field as the car was up to its floor in mud and if I remember he got stuck and two other lads came to buy the car and there was a bit of a stand off, he spent a lot of time on that car and the result is pretty good from what it started out like. As far as I remember the colour is a Porsche yellow. I still have the article somewhere but it would take an age to find, Jim McEwan also has a copy of it.
I did also have photos through its restoration but I seem to have lost them.
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:17 am

Ah its a shame you don't have the restoration photos anymore but I have the carsport article (courtesy of the nice people at the clan club :D) and I have to say, considering I believe it was a barn find in pretty poor condition its been done really well. Ok its not going to win any awards but it was made to be driven not to be looked at.
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:04 pm

After hearing some horror stories about getting the engine out of a clan... have just done it, well more accurately, my dad did it while I took photos and prodded things :D there were a couple of snags but it wasn't overly difficult, having done it once I think it would be a lot easier to do it again.

But the good news is we have a borrowed engine that will be going in pretty much whenever we have time to put it in, that should run happily enough and once thats done I can work on getting it ready for the MOT by fixing the things that are not working, like the headlights. Except I think the headlights probably are working, I just cant find the switch to turn them on...

But anyway its progress, will put up a few pictures tomorrow when I get the time to do so. In between a driving lesson, and making a CD player mount for my car. Oh yes and some university work =p
GeForce Junky
Car Model: Hillman Imp Van

Post by GeForce Junky » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:30 am

I like the way you are fixing the important things first I.E. the cd player, and leaving the MOT till later :D :lol: What are you doing at Uni?
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:06 am

Heh, well I cant really sort out the headlights till the engine is in and I cant put the engine in right now so CD player it is. :).. though having looked I cant really get into my car to measure it all up right now so might even have to leave that for now and clean the borrowed engine ready to go in.

Oh and i'm a computer science student at Herts uni. Second year.
aldrin

Post by aldrin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:26 pm

Hi,

I am still in contact with Tim McKie

As far as I can remember thee was something odd about that car, It may well have been a press car.

I'll try to remember to ask him next time I see him.

As for getting the engine out of a clan,

just file a small semicircle out of the fibreglass so the engine mount can clear (slightly to one side)

Aldrin

rally clan wrote:This is the ex Tim McKie car from Northern Ireland, there was a good article written about it in Carsport a number of years ago just after it was restored. When Tim bought the car he went to pick it up from a field as the car was up to its floor in mud and if I remember he got stuck and two other lads came to buy the car and there was a bit of a stand off, he spent a lot of time on that car and the result is pretty good from what it started out like. As far as I remember the colour is a Porsche yellow. I still have the article somewhere but it would take an age to find, Jim McEwan also has a copy of it.
I did also have photos through its restoration but I seem to have lost them.
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:09 pm

That would be cool =) always interested to hear about the history of the car.
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:47 pm

Well we are going through engines like I go through pints in a quest to find one that will get us through an MOT. Though we are currently working on something that should do the job and there is a potential backup for that so roll on june the 1st and the Clan 30th weekend really. Probably after a lot of hard work. Mainly from my dad I suppose as I wont be around much as I have exams in a couple of weeks.
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Mon May 19, 2008 9:31 pm

*Update* We have an engine in and running, which is wonderful news as far as i'm concerned with some of the hassle we have had so far trying to get to this point =p didn't bother taking any photos of the engine bay as quite frankly it looks the same as it did before.

I do however have photos of the stickers that Eric has kindly provided me with. (thanks again for those.)

Rear

Rear close up

Front

The one of the front might look a bit wonky but it is basically straight, just looks like it because of the weird angle I took the photo at.

Moment of truth is going to be on wed when we take it for its MOT and we have a few things to iron out before then but with any luck it should be ready and running by June 1st for the Clan 30th.
oli
Car Model: Hillman Imp Super Safari Beige 1972

Getting a driving licence...?

Post by oli » Mon May 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Sorry if I cause any offence - none intended - but how old are you? This is going to be your first car?! :shock:
I built and owned a Clan for a few years, and have had a 1040 rally Imp for almost 20 years now, and the old addage applied to AC and Shelby Cobras could be applied here ;
Drive it like it's made of glass, and treat it with the utmost respect until you have done a considerable amount of driving in it.
Even with 'just' an 875 engine in it, it is quite capable of 'biting you'.
Inexperience in a car with even just a moderate amount of power, and little weight can easily kill you. Would be a shame to lose such a dedicated club member, after so much work on such a great and special car...
Happy 'Imping' :)
(ok, lecture over...)
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 pm

I'm 20(just), and yep it is going to be my first car but don't worry, i'm planning on being very careful with it. Even if it wasnt for the fact that I don't fancy ending up backwards in a ditch I love my car so much that that I wouldn't risk anything happening to it. :D

And I have had some limited experience of thrashing an imp (during an autosolo, not on the roads =p) so I have an idea of what can go wrong so will be aiming to avoid it. :twisted:
limjamrace

Re: Getting a driving licence...?

Post by limjamrace » Mon May 19, 2008 10:08 pm

oli wrote:Sorry if I cause any offence - none intended - but how old are you? This is going to be your first car?! :shock:
I built and owned a Clan for a few years, and have had a 1040 rally Imp for almost 20 years now, and the old addage applied to AC and Shelby Cobras could be applied here ;
Drive it like it's made of glass, and treat it with the utmost respect until you have done a considerable amount of driving in it.
Even with 'just' an 875 engine in it, it is quite capable of 'biting you'.
Inexperience in a car with even just a moderate amount of power, and little weight can easily kill you. Would be a shame to lose such a dedicated club member, after so much work on such a great and special car...
Happy 'Imping' :)
(ok, lecture over...)

No what you mean!
I went through the 17 year old drivers bit in the late sixties /early seventies. How i survived is down to God!
Full credit to you Chris for a good attitude!

Now my Son after thrashing around in various race karts for nearly 10 years wants me to buy him a car and pay for driving lessons!
What do i do?
So far i have got out of it by saying -get yourself a job you liitle git(well actually he is taller than me) so you can run it..
James like his peers go around in lap times i could never match..
What happens when he hits the road..
A worried Dad thats what i am!
james
Car Model: Imp caledonian

Post by james » Mon May 19, 2008 11:13 pm

Lovely car - I would quite like a clan at some point. *Adds it to the list of 'one day' cars*.

Good luck with the driving test, and just take it easy for a while - I'm 20 myself and have been driving an Imp since I passed. I have had a couple of scary moments, but nothing more.

Don't let your friends pressure you into driving beyond what you feel capable of.

James
pure~hillman~imp
Car Model: 1976 Saloon, MX5 Turbo

Post by pure~hillman~imp » Tue May 20, 2008 6:26 pm

All good advice on the driving front, Chris aint stupid and wont go jumping into the car like the stereotypically sketched new young driver.
I too got biten by the accident bug, but the car had previously been accident damaged and never quite drove properly, as I discovered on getting the next Imp.
Change of location: Avoiding teh forumz Police...
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Tue May 20, 2008 7:46 pm

Very nice indeed, Chris! :P I hope you enjoy driving it! I am sure you will! :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
GJM

Post by GJM » Tue May 20, 2008 7:55 pm

Should be a hoot :) wish i had something like that for my first motor, my Ford Orion was grandad-tastic. Take care of it 8)
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Wed May 21, 2008 2:55 pm

Clutch isn't working. Have replaced the clutch slave and hose so must be something to do with the clutch itself. Push the clutch pedal down and its fine first time most the way down then it stops moving and pretty much locks in position. Out with the engine....

*Chris trots off to perform the now well known procedure*

Lucky I have a sense of humour really.
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac » Wed May 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Chris,

As you press the clutch pedal down, does the clutch disengage, then re-engage? If so, I had the same problem and it is linked to an incompatibility between clutch cover and driven plate. It is to do with the diameter of the "nose" (centre) of the driven plate and the inner diameter of the hole in the cover through which the first motion of the transmission shaft passes.

Am I making sense? :? I have a diagram somewhere...

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Wed May 21, 2008 3:47 pm

ChrisBenoy wrote:Clutch isn't working. Have replaced the clutch slave and hose so must be something to do with the clutch itself. Push the clutch pedal down and its fine first time most the way down then it stops moving and pretty much locks in position. Out with the engine....

*Chris trots off to perform the now well known procedure*

Lucky I have a sense of humour really.

Oh no not another clutch problem !!
I'm keeping out of this one!!!!
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Wed May 21, 2008 3:49 pm

ImpManiac wrote:Chris,

As you press the clutch pedal down, does the clutch disengage, then re-engage? If so, I had the same problem and it is linked to an incompatibility between clutch cover and driven plate. It is to do with the diameter of the "nose" (centre) of the driven plate and the inner diameter of the hole in the cover through which the first motion of the transmission shaft passes.

Am I making sense? :? I have a diagram somewhere...

IM 8)

No good ! I cannot mind my own business..
Sorry to say you may have put the centre plate around the wong way..
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Wed May 21, 2008 4:36 pm

Well right now after a mess around with the slave cylinder hanging off so I can see whats going on, the pedal, the first couple of times you press it, doesn't have much resistance whatsoever and as far as I can tell isn't doing anything. Then on about the third pedal press the slave cylinder is completely pushed out the pedal locks solid. And it does exactly the same thing when I re-fitted the slave cylinder so I can completely rule that out from any wrong-doing.

Not being the most technical of people, i'll try and explain anyway, there is on the back of the gearbox mount, a rod that goes into the clutch slave cylinder. This I assume is supposed to go forward and back, and right now it just wobbles about and does pretty much nothing.

My vague assumption on how a clutch works(without any real knowledge of the subject) is that you press the pedal, the pedal closes the slave cylinder which pushes what I earlier called 'a rod' outwards, disengaging the clutch, then allowing you to change gear, then when you lift the pedal, the 'rod' pushes back in and the clutch re-engages. Probably gotten that massively wrong but as far as i'm concerned clutches should just work and I couldn't really care less if there are little magic fairies in there doing the job as long as it works.

Either way I now have the engine ready to come out for when my dad comes back from Ireland.
limjamrace

Post by limjamrace » Wed May 21, 2008 5:36 pm

Hello Chris,
I'm already insulting your assembly already by suggesting that you have put the centre plate around the wrong way.
I have trouble comprehending a lot of things nowadays.
From what you have posted i seem to think that the slave cylinder has not been fitted on the other side of the transaxle housing but this side ie towards/closest to where you are kneeling!
This is a common mistake to anyone doing a clutch on an Imp for the first acquaintence!

Folks away for a week ay!!
Parties lined up then ay ..nudge nudge!
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Wed May 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Ah well it was my dad that put it together so in theory it should be right he should really know how to, wait about 20 mins and i'll put a photo up of how it looks at the moment.

Actually my dad has the digital camera with him over in Ireland so there wont be any photos but i've just messed around with it and put it on so that it looks like the photo in the haynes manual and its still not working so just continuing with taking the engine out at the moment.
Last edited by ChrisBenoy on Wed May 21, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun » Wed May 21, 2008 6:10 pm

limjamrace wrote:
ChrisBenoy wrote:Clutch isn't working. .
Oh no not another clutch problem !!
Almost a good enough excuse to try fit an autobox 8)
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
fsmlittler
Car Model: .

Post by fsmlittler » Wed May 21, 2008 7:53 pm

Sounds idemtical to the problems I had when I put the clutch release arm/fork the wrong way round-it looks and feels like it will work both ways but will not.
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Wed May 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Ah well the good news is that the clutch is fixed (I think) the answer that I had been given both on here by Limjamrace and on the phone by my dad seemed to do the trick but there is some bad news however I wont ruin my current happiness by thinking about it.
ChrisBenoy

Re: Chris' Clan (Irish clan TIJ 7144) *running*

Post by ChrisBenoy » Sat May 31, 2008 9:33 pm

Fixed(ish) MOT'd, taxed, washed, polished. Heading to Coventry

8)
Kman1600

Post by Kman1600 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:37 am

Hi,

Nice to see the old girl back all together. I do have some details of the cars past but it lay off the radar for many years in a barn up to the to of the sills in some rather unpleasent substances. I've attached the only picture I seem to be able to find of the car in its orginal colour of metalic grey over charcoal. This is taken just after power hosing the car down and freeing off the hubs etc... so I could actually move it.

Tim
Attachments
Clan small.jpg
ChrisBenoy

Post by ChrisBenoy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Wow is nice to see a pic of her in a near original state, how much work did it take to restore in the first place?
Kman1600

Post by Kman1600 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi Chris,

It took about a year or so of pretty hard graft. As I look back now on things I can’t believe I took so few pictures (almost none in fact)!!! When I dragged her out of the barn, barn being generous here more like a shack open on one side to the elements with only part of a roof, there was no interior to speak off, no engine cover and as said before all four wheels were seized solid. On the plus side it still had the right Hartwell 998cc E spec. engine in it although the carbs where rusted solid and only really useable as door stops!!! Almost all the pressed steel running gear I managed to reuse, cow dung (if completely immersing the parts) does seem to stave off the dreaded tin worm. I did need to replace the king pin assemblies as well as all the wheel bearings and brake parts, I did the Ford fiesta disc conversion if it’s still on the front? I had hoped to improve on the rather rudimentary wiring that McCandless used on the Irish Clans (basically lengths of multi-core trailer wire) but when the final push came to get the car ready for the road I ran out of time and just made the best I could of it. It took me a while to get the headlights to work reliability, there is an art to setting the physical stops so that the lights actually stop rather than just go up and down continuously, again I had planned to do something better but once running and working I left them alone. I think the time line was something like bought summer of 2001, MOT’ed Aug 02, I was certainly at Imp03 in her, then I sold her sometime in 04. I don’t tend to keep cars for long after they are done as there is always another project in the wings. When I sold her I kept the 998, sorry about that, it found it’s way into a 1972 Sport copy that eventually got sold locally again without the 998 which I kept for a few years but eventually went onto e-bay and away to someone in England.

I have some history of the car, there is a silver/grey car featured in the sale brochure for the Irish clan company, this maybe the same car. I’m told it was owned by Clan when they folded and was sold off at auction along with a handful the Clover shells in various states of build. The guy I got the car off wasn’t saying much about it’s history and he did have 4 or 5 Clover shells (all forsale) as well along with some original moulds so it all does fit the story.

I have attached a picture taken the day I took here to the MOT, lights permanently fixed in the up position because I hadn’t worked out how to make them do anything reliably then so felt it best to not risk a winking Clan during the test. MOTs are a very different affair over here in NI than they are anywhere else, government run test centers with generally no discussion between you and the examiner!!!

I’ll keep digging for anything else I can find on the car but if you have any questions please let me know.

Tim
Attachments
Clan MOT small.jpg