Show off and tells us about your car, finished or a work in progress

Moderator: Keith 'Supaimpy' Laming

Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: ,n/a

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Plugs indexed

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Ive indexed the plugs on the Vusky.
Ive no idea how Pete does this so had to make my own mind up using trial and error , Odviously you dont want to leave plugs loose or over tighten then to achieve the objective, you still need hand tight plus a 1/4 .
So I looked at the sealing washers , one plug went too far but rummaging through a load of old plugs I realised that Champion seals are fatter once squashed than the NGKs I use , by swapping the NGK ring with the Champion one it tightened correctly pointing between the cylinder valves , the others that didnt quite go far enough were simple as well , I just added an extra pre used sealing ring on each plug , result is they are all facing towards the gap between the valves and all at the correct tightness. This does give a slight variation in how far the plug screws into the cylinder but its only 1mm max
How do you do yours Pete , perhaps your way is better. :?: :idea: :)
Formally known as " Noddy "
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Plugs indexed , Tuning epilogue

Having been out in the Vusky yesterday and this morning I can definitely say theres been a vast improvement , Throttle response is instant at any revs , theres no flat spots or hesitation , cruising is a joy and it likes hills so much better .
Its been a slog TBH , Not to mention a bit costly , what with the RR test half way through to see where I was heading and 3 sets of needles at £20 a set its cost the best part of a tonne
WORTH IT THOUGH as the difference is very noticeable , I suspect judging by how it used to run and how it does now Ive gained around 5 HP :D
Im sure with even more effort and possibly expense more small gains could be achieved but for now Im leaving well alone to see how things settle long term
Id recommend others to try different things to suck more power out of the engine , after all if you start with only 50 BHP then even a small gain is a bonus .
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Plugs indexed , Tuning epilogue

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

Dead easy Noddy ....i just bought indexing washers off the ebay from this guy. :lol:
Ebay indexing washers

Sounds like your efforts have been worthwhile! 8)
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings , SU carbs I use

Ive been asked just what SU carbs im using , so for those who like a challenge they are

AUD 257"F" and AUD 257"R" ( " Front and rear " )
They are from a MK3 Triumph Spitfire , available new from Burlen for just under £400 :o :shock: , alternatively ebay or a scrapyard which is where mine come from . :)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Tuning and cooling

For as long as ive had Imps theres always been the " I had one of those , it overheated all the time " brigade , And still to this day people have this problem and fit leccy water pumps , front rads , extra ducting and even reverse the air flow going into the rad ( Hi Baz )
Since giving the Vusky a mahooosive tuneup and finally getting it running as it should Ive noticed a not insignificant drop in overall running temp , yesterday was 27 degrees here and we went to a national trust house some 40 miles away .
As it was hot i shut the heater off but also didnt turn on the auxiliary front rad the Vusky has fitted , so just running the rear rad .
Ran perfectly and temp gauge never got past the middle even after some very spirited driving .
Just wondering if all these cars with running hot issues may have other causes than the normal " rads no good " thing and maybe a good tune up and getting the mixture correct would negate the need for front rads.
I can see no need of a front rad in an 875cc Imp with a good efficient cooling system
The Nun
Car Model: Imp x 2

Post by The Nun »

Noddy wrote: I can see no need of a front rad in an 875cc Imp with a good efficient cooling system
True, I never needed a front rad on a 998 either, though I did run an 82 degree stat always, I only put one in when I went up above 1100 but only really to
balance out the weight more than anything and get rid of the rear fan and all the muck and dust the thing sucks into the engine bay.
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

The Nun wrote:I did run an 82 degree stat always,
Yes , I recon an 82º stat is a must really .
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

usual thing little knowledge, old vehicles being pushed to perform like a modern without the maintenance and using crap parts for cheapness which causes longer term pain and extra cost read it many times on here and have to try to be diplomatic in my replies (i am not very good at being diplomatic ask young Sam) but underlying problems usually cause another problem that puts the car out of the budget range and you see posts of people fed up and frustrated.

Dave your tuning example is not about attaining BHP pub bragging rights correct? it was about making the car run better by optimising what you have and has been very informative, put the correct kit on the car and look after it optimise it and you have one hell of a reliable and in your case faster and more economical car. you have a good ignition system using quality parts, you have adapted and set up some carbs (cannot remeber the make of them!) and an engine you were originally saying was 10 years old and built by you as if that was a down side is now performing very very well.

if you think about it lean mixture at cruising speed say 50-80mph range, speed rising temp rising slow down temp comes down incorrect conclusion 9 times out of ten rad not good enough
blocked rad and engine internally, coupled with lean running due to removing teapot air filter, headgasket goes, incorrect conclusion imps DO headgaskets
worn dizzy with sticking advance weights, 9 volts arriving at coil due to old wiring poor rotor arm, years old plug leads black plugs so over fuelling? incorrect conclusion solex carbs are rubbish

i could go on and on with any of the problems that can occur they have a knock on effect i.e. last example, will petrol wash the bores thinning the oil and temp of engine will rise slightly putting a strain on water cooling system so a headgasket that is weak will go (if the rad is dirty internally or externally) the oil being washed of the bores will make the car smoke and breath oil vapour into the carb altering the mixture causing more problems.
Main thing to remember the imp engine is a great little unit but like anything it needs to me looked after if that means spending a couple of hundred on it to optimise and replace (with good quality items) all the standard components it will probably give you years of reliable pleasure paying back the money spent in the long run.
so your steadier lower temp is that all that energy is now being used to best effect pushing the pistons up and down effectively rather going to waste as excess heat so less heat in engine block and components (bet your exhaust manifold is now running hotter though) as the mixture is completing its burn and getting out of the engine faster as hot gas not unburnt fuel/air (poor economy) or being burnt to late i.e. piston is already on way down the bore before the explosion occurs so you loose power.

regard mike
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
impmann
Car Model: ...er, one or two

Post by impmann »

Bill Blydenstein (who knew a bit about making engines go rather well) said that "if you tune for efficiency, power is a by-product... and that is how I tune all my engines"
Tim Morgan
Imps since 1987... one or two of them. ;-)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re:

moose wrote:
Dave your tuning example is not about attaining BHP pub bragging rights correct? it was about making the car run better by optimising what you have .

regard mike
Spot on Mike , no way is 51 BHP going to impress any boy racers I know thats for sure :lol: .
Reading your advise and L e Cs thread about AFRs , tuning etc convinced me I was not getting anything like the performance I should be getting from what has always been a reliable if rather sluggish engine .
Its taken time , effort , money , trial and error , more trial and error , not to mention a fibbing CO meter mixed in just to throw me off scent .
Im now thinking the same thing about the Singer , theres more performance in there and when i get the chance I will seek it out as ive done with the Vusky , I have more knowledge thanks to you and others so the Singer will hopefully will be slightly more straight forward .
Vusky is almost faster than the Singer now :shock: :o :lol:
moose

Post by moose »

first thing i learnt of my carb expert friend, the choking smell that makes your eyes water with the fumes from the exhaust it is not richness it is inefficiency, many causes, seen twin gas analyser readings drop to within MOT pass standards just by setting valve clearances correctly to suit the cam when the car was brought in for carb tuning due to running rich!!!

Noddy the first one is always the longest now you have knowledge and real hands on experiance so will have more idea of what to change depending on the feedback you get. have you messed with the weight of the oil in dashpots? my carb man has used anything and everything from engine oil to clock oil, 3 in 1, auto transmision fluid, cooking oil etc something else to consider with Su's oil controls the speed of the needle rising, so try oil at both extremes oh and he says the SU oil that you can buy in a little bottle is nothing special just a certain weight of oil.
Regards Moose
Century Autosport
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

moose wrote: Noddy the first one is always the longest now you have knowledge and real hands on experiance so will have more idea of what to change depending on the feedback you get. have you messed with the weight of the oil in dashpots? my carb man has used anything and everything from engine oil to clock oil, 3 in 1, auto transmision fluid, cooking oil etc something else to consider with Su's oil controls the speed of the needle rising, so try oil at both extremes oh and he says the SU oil that you can buy in a little bottle is nothing special just a certain weight of oil.
I do use the proper SU oil and yes its nothing special , But its been a constant part in among lots of non constant ones .
I try and change one thing at a time if at all possible , no point in altering three things at once as if its successful you may not know which had the most effect or whether two are in fact detrimental but somehow youve got away with it ,doing this :? →↕←↑↔ :? or in other words going around in circles doesnt help me . there are exceptions to this of course ( mixture @ timing are linked for example ).
Mike Im sure the Vusky isnt perfectly tuned and I recon you could pick a few holes in if you drove it but Im well chuffed :D
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

So how is the vusky running after last nights impromptu tuning session then Dave? Did you leave it how it was when you left here? Or did you have to tweak it a little after the run home?

"I think it would be a good idea."
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869-1948), when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Prometheus wrote:So how is the vusky running after last nights impromptu tuning session then Dave? Did you leave it how it was when you left here? Or did you have to tweak it a little after the run home?

Tiny tweek half way home , advanced the timing a degree and richened it up 1/4 of a flat
IT FLIES :D :D :D
As it tells major porkies perhaps a sacrificial smashing of my C/O meter to celibrate :lol: :lol:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

In other news theres a Hedgehog asleep in an old cooking pot in my garage :lol: :lol:
james
Car Model: Imp caledonian

Post by james »

Noddy wrote:Just wondering if all these cars with running hot issues may have other causes than the normal " rads no good " thing and maybe a good tune up and getting the mixture correct would negate the need for front rads.
I can see no need of a front rad in an 875cc Imp with a good efficient cooling system
I too find that a good tune up reduces the running temperature. I did think mine got a bit hot yesterday, but I think that's down to a more active temperature gauge than I'm used to (had to change the voltage stabiliser as the old one was all over the place). And possibly some oil contamination of the outside of the radiator. :oops:

However, in time I will be reversing the airflow in my rear radiator a la Lotus-e-clan and Baz - not to improve the cooling as much as to eliminate the load from the belt-driven fan, which should release some free power and improve the motorway fuel economy a little.
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

...also running a COLD air filter rather than sucking air from deep in the engine bay all adds to the help with general cooling.

And after running the reverse airflow for an number of years (since 2004)...the rad air matrix needs a clean from time to time to maintain efficiency 'cos it's difficult to stop all road dirt coating the matrix off the nearside rear wheel....so some thought needs to be applied to the scoop design to minimise this effect...and maybe a spring clean every year is a good idea...having said that, I'd don't always practice what I preach and I've not been that diligent. :oops:
james
Car Model: Imp caledonian

Post by james »

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:maybe a spring clean every year is a good idea
I reckon that an annual spring clean of an Imp radiator is a good idea whatever setup you have - especially if your engine leaks a little oil (like mine) or eats fan belts for fun (like mine used to).
bazzateer
Car Model: 68 Chamois Sport, 72 Imp Sport, 67 Vogue, 69 Vogue

Post by bazzateer »

I can have my rad out in about 5 mins so a quick clean up is easy enough.
If I told you I was a pathological liar, would you believe me?
Barry Blackmore - Chiltern ACO, apparently.......................
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,A nasty habit

Well with all this tuning malarkey going on I seem to be slipping back into an old habit
This is dial watching.
For years now ive basically ignored what the dials tell me except the fuel gauge , I tend to get paranoid so if something goes wrong once I watch every gauge repeatedly just in case it happens again .
Im now doing it again , watching rev counters , temperature gauge , vacuum gauge and all the others in the Vusky and its kind of distracting from the enjoyment of driving.
So im going to ignor them once more and see what happens
L e C mentioned an AFR meter , I know if i fit one il be staring at it all the time and it will worry me stupid
Motto from now on
LOOK OUT THE WINDSCREEN :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Re: Noddys Natterings ,A nasty habit

Post by ImpManiac »

Noddy wrote:LOOK OUT THE WINDSCREEN
If only more drivers would follow your example... :roll:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,New plates

Posted this up briefly then deleted it by mistake :roll:
Got some NOS Hills numberplate backplates from ebay as mine were modern thin things , these had the bonus of a space for dealer or garage info , I removed the digits from my existing plates and drilled the new backplates to fit these .
As I will never know the actual dealer the Vusky came from I went with the next best thing
Its a Restall converted van so use that instead :D

Charlotte
Car Model: Singer Chamois 69 Hillman Imp Super 67

Re: Noddys Natterings ,New / old numberplates

Post by Charlotte »

Good one Noddy - fab to see a "Birmingham plate" :wink: esp as it reminds me of my Mom, her school was round next to Floodgate Street 50 something years ago :D
Sammy the Chamois 1969 - WYU 913H
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

^^^^^ OU is a Hampshire plate but the Van was converted " in house " in Floodgate street according to Restall so seemed the nearest i could get to a dealer :)
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Very cool indeed, Noddy! 8) 8) Really sets the car off nicely.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Profsparks
Club Member: No
Car Model: Dismantled box of bits with a collective memory

Re:

Post by Profsparks »

Noddy wrote:A couple of real barn finds , Chammy was saved and sold on ( where are you now) blue super beyond repair and scrapped . both bought for £50 each , those were the days .
Image[/img]
Just been skimming these old posts, and I've just bought the CTR196C Maroon Chammy!

Bit worse for wear at the moment, doing some things that will bring it back on the road. Might take a while though...

Will skim through the other 45 pages, see if I've missed anything.

Cheers
Steve
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Great news , wondered where it would end up , I sold it to a guy near Exeter , I may have some more " as found " photos somewhere :)
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,You can tell Im bored

BORED BORED :roll: BORED
So bored in fact ive just wired in a boot light on the Singer using an old interior light and door switch , :roll: :roll:
bazzateer

Re: Noddys Natterings ,You can tell im BORED !!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by bazzateer »

Done one on the Vusky? Engine bay lights as well?
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

bazzateer wrote:Done one on the Vusky? Engine bay lights as well?
Already done , theres two , one by each hinge controlled by a door switch :roll: .
Also fixed the drivers door window on the Singer , wound down fine but jammed half way up , turns out the glass channel by the lock was badly worn and also the wrong one .
On really early cars the inner channel is cloth covered metal and has its own unique channel for it to fit into , its about 3 inches longer than the slightly later rubber channeled ones so you cant retro fit these later ones into my early door .You can remove the rubber from a later one , cut it down and Araldite it in the original longer channel , This ive now done and its as smooth as a cashmere codpiece :D
Lotus-e-Clan

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

What! :o You've actually touched the Cashmores' codpiece? :shock:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Lotus-e-Clan wrote:What! :o You've actually touched the Cashmores' codpiece? :shock:
Cashmere not Cashmore :lol: :lol:
HARTWELL MK1
Car Model: 02 07 63 Hartwell IMP

Post by HARTWELL MK1 »

If you are bored, you can help me change my imp floor ! :lol:
JEFF DAY
5948 RU Hartwell Imp Still not finished
Meltdown

Post by Meltdown »

Noddy wrote:
bazzateer wrote:Done one on the Vusky? Engine bay lights as well?
Already done , theres two , one by each hinge controlled by a door switch :roll: .
Also fixed the drivers door window on the Singer , wound down fine but jammed half way up , turns out the glass channel by the lock was badly worn and also the wrong one .
On really early cars the inner channel is cloth covered metal and has its own unique channel for it to fit into , its about 3 inches longer than the slightly later rubber channeled ones so you cant retro fit these later ones into my early door .You can remove the rubber from a later one , cut it down and Araldite it in the original longer channel , This ive now done and its as smooth as a cashmere codpiece :D
You should have mentioned that when we swapped your quarterlight at NW :roll:
I've a half-built race car you could come and fettle if you're stuck for something to do :lol:
Do me a deal? Employ me for 3 days and pay me for what I'm currently being paid for 5, then I'll have time to do everything!
65 Chamois
bazzateer

Post by bazzateer »

I've various alternators and starter motors you can re-furb for me?
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

I've got a Chamois that needs some TLC. You could move in to my garage. :P

Then there's the hedge trimming... The leaves need raking up... The house could do with a paint... :lol: :lol:

Don't worry. I'm getting my coat. :roll: :wink:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Thanks for the kind offer of work but sadly I will decline , gardening today :roll:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Meltdown wrote:
Noddy wrote:
bazzateer wrote: You should have mentioned that when we swapped your quarterlight at NW :roll:
It was fine when we changed the quarter light , gave up a few weeks back :roll:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Antifreeze checked

Today Ive been checking the antifreeze strength in the three cars ive got , Beemer and Singer were fine but the Vusky was only covered up to - 10 ,
Ive flushed the whole system and re-antifreezed it and its now covered up to -30 .
All cars are now ready for the onslaught of winter :D
moose

Re: Noddys Natterings ,Antifreeze strength checked

Post by moose »

just doing the same Noddy, i have opened a bottle of Bulgarian red 2 glasses down an i am ok to minus 30
Regards Moose
Century Autosport

Return to “Readers Cars”