Nods news , A fixorage happened

benwick3
Club Member: Yes
Car Model: Race Clan Crusader x 2

Re: Noddys News 24, Final entry for now , new air filters

Post by benwick3 »

I've had trouble using copper pipes to join carb, twin 40's in my instance. Never use them anymore but use reinforced rubber fuel pipe from back carb to metal tee-piece then rubber to front carb and again to delivery pipe or in my case to Filter King.

Pete Richards
Repair. Rebuild. Repeat.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane
Car Model: ,n/a

Re: Noddys News 24, Air filter update .

Post by Dave ' Linwood ' Lane »

Just popped on for a quick look and im stunned at all the replies :o .
Nice to know that what i plonk on here does indeed get read. :)
I wont be posting so much on here though as the stuff im doing ATM is a bit mundane TBH plus ive other things i wish to do before winter sets in .

Still as an update on the filters ive had to richen up the carbs by over two flats each , theres probably a bit of fine tuning to be done re. mixture and timing to get the very best out of the set up but its very close as it is . Ive replaced the manky air filter bolts with some , well you know already i recon ------- Stainless steel dome headed allen key ones just for looks although strangely its easier to fit them using an allen key. :shock:

In more utterly pointless news i got bored with the Guinness coil cover , mainly because ive been copied having seen another at Thornfalcon car show .
So ive put the Singer on some hard stuff for now :lol:
Also did a slideshow over a year ago , sadly the software isnt available anymore so ive put it on youtube , try and stay awake please :lol: . Did a half finished on of the Vusky but never got around to adding music , i might post it on here if at all possible , no good for youtube really

Pics for you all and thanks for the support :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Formally known as " Noddy "
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys News 24, Air filter update and a THANKS .

Had a bit of a play today , its had a slight issue with the tick-over not settling every time . After a lot of poking about it wasnt the carbs or the cable but the solex sourced sprung link bar and its quadrant , basically after 6 years of not being touched it was gummed up with grit , crud and oily residue . :oops:
I removed this and gave it a proper clean at work and removed any burring on the pivots , I also removed the Solex quadrant from the SU inlet and cleaned this up and also shimmed up the quadrant ( 3 thou shim ) to give zero up and down movement but a really smooth pivot .
Also checked the carb balancing which whilst not perfect was very close being as again this hasnt been checked for many years.
I rest the throttle linkage so both chokes are perfectly in sync , again very close considering the time its not been touched .
After the quich richening of the mixture after the air filter change i checked the plug colours , rea two are perfect , front two were a tiny bit weaker so ive richened it 1/8 of a flat .
Just need to drive it and do some miles to get it absolutely perfect which its very close to anyway :D :D
ImpManiac
Car Model: Singer Chamois

Post by ImpManiac »

I was always surprised at how much of a difference it made getting the carburettors synchronised properly. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
imp: a small demon : FIEND : a mischievous child : URCHIN
maniac: Raging with disordered intellect: affected with mania: MAD
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Spare spark plug bracket wot i made at work , not fitted yet but it gave me something to do on a few lunch hours :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lotus-e-Clan
Club Member: No
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Re: Noddys News 24, More making and modding madness

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

NEAT! 8)

Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
Lars Hagermark
Car Model: .

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Dedicated spares carriers. Excellent idea. I like that.
Very easy to see what you've got and what's missing, just by looking.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Well I eventually went ahead and fitted this but added a feeler gauge mount just to finish it off
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys News 24, Back from WWW.

Just back from the WWW and what a superb weekend it was too :D :D .
Massive thanks To the Gurners for yet again taking the time and effort organising an utterly superb and enjoyable event , thanks for all the bake off cakes , thanks for organising the run out on Saturday , stunning roads and the Big Pit coal mine was an eye opener to say the least , very informative
We didnt do the runs on Friday ( didnt arrive in time ) or todays as i had the drive home to do but i bet they were just as good.
Uncle Malc told us of a better route home which we did , following Him and Joyce until Chepstow where we went in for a look around and a coffee .
Great to catch up with some friends again , old and new .
Didnt take hardly any photo,s and the ones i did take were rubbish , Tim ( the font ) Morgan took photo,s of the Vusky whilst following and a few came good so thanks Tim .

Total mileage was 327 .
Oil used -- a mug full
Brakes are well and truly bedded in :lol: :lol:
WWW IS BRILLIANT :D :D :D
617sqn
Car Model: Hillman Imp 1972

Post by 617sqn »

Doh.... :cry: I've spent the weekend working, followed by digging out roots from the flippin' back garden because Me Julie wants a pair of Indian running ducks come the spring. Preparation works.

Glad you've all had a fab time though 8) :lol:

Andy G.Image
Member No. 7500, and Stan's best mate.
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

Nice thought ,the spare spark plug bracket , seen a few on the vintage cars i've worked on, but they are mainly six plug holders ,What was the original casting you used Dave ? could it have been a door lock latch ? looks like a casting to me anyhow .
Bob
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
bornagain-imp
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp Deluxe

Post by bornagain-imp »

Nice pic's, Looks like you had some decent weather 8)

Must try and make it next year :roll: :P

Rod Imp006
Bobbycham

Post by Bobbycham »

It is an alloy casting that used to be one foot ( of a pair ) from a mains electric motor .[/quote]

Yes can see it now Dave (bit like "ask the family " mystery object)
showing my age there.

Good work Dave :) :)
I am the most responsible person around, if anything goes wrong ,"l am responsible"
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

From an earlier post on Noddys 90 page tome we mentioned tax discs. Put mine in today :D

Andy G. Image
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys News 24, SU carb leak

I noticed at national the carb nearest to the rear of the car had a very slight leak , this has been getting steadily worst lately so I did a bit of investigating
These carbs were made up out of bits TBH so 8 years trouble free seemed fair .
Anyway the leak was where the jet pipe screws into the float bowl , theres a small rubber seal where the pipe screws in.

Unfortunately the seals arnt available on their own. :(
Fortunately I have a new jet C/W seal :)
Unfortunately its the wrong one :(
Fortunately the seal is identical and is removable :)
Unfortunately getting the old jet out in situ is difficult but i managed it ( just ) :(
Fortunately the new seal fitted the old jet fine :)
Unfortunately upon fitting it still leaked so i decided to check the sealing surface on the float chamber :(
Fortunately I have a few float chambers if there was a problem and the float chamber is removable in situ :)
Unfortunately there was a problem and the float chamber jet inlet looked quite dodgy as well as the inside looking really cruddy :shock: :(
Fortunately the float chamber I had spare was good and the correct one :)
Unfortunately its best to fit the jet into the chamber first , i say unfortunately because re-fitting like this is tricky :(
Fortunately i managed it and so far theres been zero fuel leakage but it will need to sit for a few days and be checked for leakage again. :)
A few pics :D
ImpManiac

Re: Noddys News 24, Fortunately / unfortunately SU carb leak

Post by ImpManiac »

:shock: Yikes! Did the float chamber clean up ok? Was this just normal wear and tear or did something cause that corrosion?

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Well, if this happened before, it could happen again - eventually. So some spares in your stash would be an excellent idea. :)

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

The leak is cured , after a week not a single drop of fuel anywhere , We did 100 odd miles in it yesterday and all seems well . :)
New spare jets are on back order from Burlen fuels in Salisbury just in case .
rhydian_mason
Car Model: Hillman Imp mk2, Hillman Imp Husky, Clan

Re: Noddys News 24, SU carb leak cured .

Post by rhydian_mason »

You'll need to make a 'spare jet holder' out of stainless... Should fit nicely on the offside rear rail to balance the plug holder Nod!
"an aversion to corners and a tendency to spin at the slightest provocation"
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys News 24, Rear work lights on the Vusky sorted

Finally sorted out the " work " lights I fitted in the rear of the Vusky . I fitted these many years ago but recently the passengers side one failed to work , it wasn't the bulb which would of been a simple fit but the live connection on the light itself . Anyway i fitted another light unit and also a new switch link wire and its all good . These can be turned off via a dash switch so they aren't on continually if Im say working on the engine or some-such , also removed the switches on each light so you cant leave them on by mistake .Also theres a door switch fitted that operates via the tailgate hinge so they turn off as soon as the tailgates shut.
Some piccys to explain
Lars Hagermark

Re: Noddys News 24, Vusky work lights actually working

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Hogwarts magic shelves? :lol:
617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

You wally !! Haha , you don't need to have seen the films : It's a reference to the seemingly attached shelving visible through the side windows : hence "magical shelves" :lol: :lol:

Brilliant (As is your innocence Dave ! ) 8)

Andy G. Image
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

That is very clever, Noddy. Very clever indeed. :mrgreen:

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

I seem to have got completely carried away with the spare spark plug holder I made at work.
I fitted some NOS K.L.G spark plugs as these were the make fitted to 63 / 64 and 65 cars before Rootes went over to Champion .
Just as a useless history lesson heres some info re. spark plugs
May 63 to Feb 64 ----- K.L.G type FE75
Feb 64 to Sep 65 -------K.L.G type FE70 ( Wider heat range ) This plug was developed especially by Rootes in conjunction with K.L.G.
Sept 65 on --------------All Models except Alpine 260 , Hillman Husky and Commer Cob to have CHAMPION plugs

So the special FE70 plugs were either
A,---- No good or
B,----- K.L.G p****** off Rootes big time somehow , not sure as K.L.G were owned by Smiths industries at the time :?: :?:

Brief history of Champion .
Albert Champion was born in France in 1878. In 1889, a renowned bicycle and motorcycle racer, Champion came to America to compete in a series of races. He had brought several bicycles and motorcycles, but found parts very hard to find in the United States. As a result, Champion made his own. To help pay bills and cover expenses, Champion began making spark plugs and sold them to friends.

Champion's love of motors slowly turned towards automobiles and he later returned to France to open a shop that manufactured spark plugs and magnetos.

In 1900, Champion returned to America after being hired by Charles Metz to race bicycles and motorcycles for the Waltham Manufacturing Company. In 1904, Champion moved to Flint, Michigan where he founded Champion Ignition Company for the manufacturing of spark plugs. With the help of investors, Champion was able to turn his racing hobby into a successful business. Unfortunately, problems with the investors soon lead to a break up. Champion soon found himself without a company. The investors continued to manufacture the spark plugs under the Champion name, but Champion himself was out of a job.
In 1908 with the backing of the Buick Motor Co., Champion began a new company called the AC Spark Plug Company. Albert Champion was appointed president. In 1916 Alfred P. Sloan formed United Motors Corp. and eventually acquired Buick and AC Spark Plug.
On October 27, 1927, Champion died of a heart attack. General Motors purchased the remaining stock held by Champion's estate and took over the AC company. On December 1st of that year, AC became a full division of General Motors. In 1971, United Motors Service was renamed United Delco Division. A few years later United Delco and the AC Spark Plug Division combined to form the company we know today as AC-Delco. To this day Albert Champion's name lives on with every AC and Champion spark plug made.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys News 24, Plugging on

Poxy Singer refused to start this morning , not firing at all , i pissed about for ages then removed the lead from number 1 cylinder and fitted a " test " plug to check spark , turned the key and it started up straight away although obviously only running on 3 due to the test plug still connected up . shut it down and re-connected the plug lead to the plug in the engine .
Absolutely refused to start even though 2 minutes before it started on 3 cylinders .
Changed dizzy cap and it started perfectly , went for a charge up drive then re-fitted the old dizzy cap
Started perfectly .
I give up lol :?
Needed some of this i recon
617sqn

Re: Noddys News 24, Start ya @*^$%)@!.

Post by 617sqn »

Haha, nice one Noddy. Start ya *no expletives please* indeed :lol: Anyway, it just goes to prove that these are living, breathing things. No less temperamental than my old woman :mrgreen: Can't get her running on all cylinders either !

Andy G.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Did a cold crank volt test this morning to see what the voltage drop is on engine cranking .
Test results ,
ignition on ---- 11.2V from coil + to earth
Which drops to 9.5V on cranking .
So the starter motor eats 1.7 Volts of ignition circuit
Id like more volts on cranking TBH :(
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

And more testing . battery to ignition switch terminal ( off ) 12.58 Volts . turn ignition on this drops to 11.98 Volts . from ignition switch terminal it becomes 11.88 Volts and at the coil end 11.20 Volts . So im loosing it bit by bit as i go along :roll:
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Think ive solved the issue with the voltage going to the coil and in the process ive rewired most of the engine bay hiding a lot of the wires in the process .
Looks Much tidier now especially all along under the gutter where theres usually a huge wadge of wire :lol:
Lars Hagermark

Re: Noddys News 24, rewired most of the engine bay

Post by Lars Hagermark »

Looking really nice. That's the way they should have been from start. :)
A challenge for some of us to reach or even come close to your very high standard. :D
colimp66
Car Model: 1970 Hillman Imp Deluxe.. "The Pest"

Post by colimp66 »

Very nicely done Noddy. That area often lets an Imp down I feel.
Looks good. :wink:

Col.
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Thanks for the interest in this .
Basically you need to un-loom all the engine bay wires and re-route depending on what they are and where they go .
Most of the wires are now on the other side of the rear bulkhead just below the rear window .
The ones that need to go to the coil and the single wire to the oil pressure switch go through a grommet visible just above the coil .
Passenger side lights and indicator wires come through the inner wing in the corner , visible by the chassis plate , These need replacing and made much longer.
Brake light circuit has been completely rerouted as is the temperature gauge wire . wires now go under the strenghening plate on the rear shelf and through to the engine this way .
This is all connected via brass bullet type connectors the same as factory and re-loomed in proper non sticky vulcanising loom tape .
Does that make sense ?
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Couple of pics
The Nun
Car Model: Imp

Post by The Nun »

Much better, and when are you going to design wireless technology for the lot? 8)
Peter Nunn...ey im member 00033
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Just done a retest on the coil voltage after the arse end rewire
Results are much better :D :D :D
johno
Car Model: Clan Crusader

Re: Noddys News 24, Coil volts now MUCH better !

Post by johno »

Always a good read, but the picture posted 22nd Oct which shows the earth connection leads me to think that part of your problem might be just that. I know paint is 'good' but looking at it the battery earth might be struggling to deliver current effectively because of the paint behind the terminal.
Got to old to wriggle into the Clan
tim sears

Post by tim sears »

I have thought of fitting a dc/dc converter to the coil supply, this way you get 12v at the coil even if the supply voltage drops to 9v .Really just for starting on very cold mornings.More clutter in the engine bay though.

Tim
1963 deluxe
1965 deluxe Nessa's
1967 cali Demelza's
1967 cali Rosie's
1967 cali
1968 Husky
1973 Clan
1967 Sport
1970 Super
1968 Stiletto
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Yet more wiring tidying has happened
Ive rerouted the wires by the coil so they come together rather than spread out
Top pic is as it was , second pic is the new mucho neater wiring
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys News 24, Wiring now even tidier .

Not to much wire visible now :D :D
bornagain-imp
Car Model: 1965 Hillman Imp Deluxe

Post by bornagain-imp »

Very IMPressive 8) super neatness 8)

Rod Imp006
Lars Hagermark

Post by Lars Hagermark »

I like that. Makes my winter project plans grow though. :lol:
moose
Car Model: rally imp

Post by moose »

Tidy job
Regards Moose imp competition secretary
Lotus-e-Clan
Car Model: 75Clan 1040BVSSH GB72 mapped ign DHLAs -Waterless!

Post by Lotus-e-Clan »

:shock: Nightmare tracing back through those wires now! :lol:

Seriously though ...a seriously good job! 8)
Clan004
74 Clan Crusader 1040 Red 190 bhp/ton
GURNSIMPS
Car Model: IMP SUPER//TRANSIT

Post by GURNSIMPS »

Proper job Dave,thanks for sharing all your tips/mods bud.
Loving Imps since 1963!!
ImpManiac

Post by ImpManiac »

Super job, Noddy! :mrgreen: As Gurns said, thank you for sharing your mods with us.

IM 8)
Paul Harrison
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys News 24, Some altered images

Had to chop these all to hell because of the size constrains but managed it in the end :)
daysineuropa
Car Model: Sunbeam Stiletto and Imps

Re: Noddys News 24, Altered images .

Post by daysineuropa »

Disappointed Dave. I expected to see Clare Grogan sitting on an Imp.....
68 Stiletto/65 NAS Imp Mk 1
64 NAS Mark 1
67 Imp Mk 2 from Bury St Edmund's!
73 Clan Crusader
Dave ' Linwood ' Lane

Re: Noddys News 24,

More photo editing , these took bloomin ages to do :roll:
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

Clever, do you think Bill Stickers will complain though?
The Nun

Post by The Nun »

We just need a 1965 Motor Show edition one now with a nude on the bonnet. :wink:
Not too heavy obviously, we dont want a dent. :D